Bring on the high draft picks and defensive roster overhaul

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
The DL is not any worse than the Bears, Falcons, or Texans.

And remember this line, essentially, the same DL we had last year. And last year we got sacks and pressures.
So not getting those things is likely less the players, but more the way they are used.
Take out the top 2 threats from any DL (Nwosu and #52 for us) and you will find most DLs are pretty middle of the pack.
Part of this is we are running schemes we don't have the personnel for. Part is that we don't take chances and that we are easy to scheme for.
We barely bring extra pressure and usually when we do, we telegraph it.

When ALL the players on a team unit struggle, it usually isn't the players but instead the coaches/tactics/strategies.
I agree not being used right, coached right or adjusting is non existent. However, you dont stop the run. Everything else opens up. Plus whether 34 or 43...its been several years with some of the same players. They havent grown, developed or reached full potential. Probably wont. Not always a coaches fault, but mostly is. You either teaching them to do it or not correcting it. Their ability to not stop the run as much has gone back a few years even with bobby.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Lotta good free agent wr, c, dt/nt. Some mlbs too. Plus i see heinecke and minshew if geno doesnt work out. Plus, draft picks. Next year will easily be better with the right combination of signings and picks.

OP
OP
mistaowen

mistaowen

Reaction score
The DL is not any worse than the Bears, Falcons, or Texans.

And remember this line, essentially, the same DL we had last year. And last year we got sacks and pressures.
So not getting those things is likely less the players, but more the way they are used.
Take out the top 2 threats from any DL (Nwosu and #52 for us) and you will find most DLs are pretty middle of the pack.
Part of this is we are running schemes we don't have the personnel for. Part is that we don't take chances and that we are easy to scheme for.
We barely bring extra pressure and usually when we do, we telegraph it.

When ALL the players on a team unit struggle, it usually isn't the players but instead the coaches/tactics/strategies.

You just named the 3 other terrible DL's in the NFL. And the worst DL is interchangeable between these 4 teams. I agree that Hurtt probably isn't the guy for DC but talent is absolutely an issue.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I'm not so sure I agree with the term "overhaul". Add one good proper sized nose tackle, probably another who can back him up, and a couple solid linebackers and we are only that far away from being good. I realize statistically we didn't do so well, but we're literally a couple players away.

Scout

Reaction score
Its the worst LB group, conceded.

I don't agree that we have the worst DL in football or even close.

This DL when compared to the playoff teams simply do no hold up. The bar has been raised and the Hawks need to upgrade in the trenches like the DL to compete with teams like the 49ers, or the Bucs, Eagles, Cowboys, Giants, etc. in the NFC.

I mean where is the Vea, Dexter Lawrence, L. Williams, F. Cox, K. Clark, Armstead on this squad?

To take it a step further is there a young guy drafted on the DL ready to step up next year already on the squad? The Bucs drafted Hall, The Eagles drafted Jordan Davis, the Packers drafted D. Wyatt, and Kinlaw is with the 49ers.

I think with better talent around Ford and Jefferson they can perform better or be used more in a rotational role. But asking them to be able to beat 1v1 consistently is not what they can do. They are solid players but they are not going to impact a game that much. Woods is way past his prime and he is the closest the Hawks have to compete with those playoff teams. But those playoff teams also have vets in supporting roles/starters like Hicks, Suh, L. Joseph, J. Reed, D. Tomlinson, etc.

Hawks need reinforcements on the DL for sure and upgrades along the iOL.

SEAHAWKSTER

Reaction score
We need
DT
DE
LB
S
CB
C
WR
TE
RB
QB
Either through draft or free agency ….we could do all this year or spread it out over two seasons to get best players available in each position ….
just saying we need to add a player in each of these positions through draft or free agency not a complete roster change , let them battle it out then see who wins the spot …

* One of the best sites to run through draft scenarios and always changes as is updated all the time is Pff draft simulator just search that pick Seahawks make sure you set a full 7 round mock , you make the picks can see who is available you can trade picks it’s pretty cool and starts getting addictive almost like a video game but your just making picks everyone should check it out ….

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Some piss-poor drafting and even worse trades have finally REALLY caught up with this team. A poster above asks the excellent question of where are blooming studs are and you can't have that luxury when you waste high picks on guys like McDowell, Collier, Blair Taylor and Eskridge (!). To be fair, I liked the Blair pick but none of the others. Pete always needing to be the smartest guy in the room when most knew McDowell, for example, had many character issues. And the Eskridge pick? Pete just had to have him a Percy Harvin whether that was an urgent need or not.

Just look at our 2019 draft alone: Collier, Blair, Metcalf, Barton and Gary Jennings. Who?? One player in that draft that I'd consider an asset. One.

How about 2021? Our entire draft was used on Eskridge, Tre Brown and Stone Forsythe. You can't make this stuff up.

It goes without saying, but the Adams trade has really hurt us as well.

This is why we can't have nice things. You can't keep missing on high draft choices in the NFL, or trading them away without it catching up with you. Last year was much better and I hope that continues but looking at drafts past? I think a lot of soul searching needs to be done starting today. Maybe we need to hire some independent firm to conduct our draft room because this staff has not gotten it done. I am dead tired of this smoke and mirrors thing we have been doing and this all dates back to almost 10 years now. Only a handful of bonified stars in 10 years of drafting? I'm pissed and you, arguably the best fans in the league, should be too. Hey...I know I'm not telling you anything you excellent posters don't already know. Just venting. Thanks for listening. Ughhhhhhhhhhh.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Some piss-poor drafting and even worse trades have finally REALLY caught up with this team. A poster above asks the excellent question of where are blooming studs are and you can't have that luxury when you waste high picks on guys like McDowell, Collier, Blair Taylor and Eskridge (!). To be fair, I liked the Blair pick but none of the others. Pete always needing to be the smartest guy in the room when most knew McDowell, for example, had many character issues. And the Eskridge pick? Pete just had to have him a Percy Harvin whether that was an urgent need or not.

Just look at our 2019 draft alone: Collier, Blair, Metcalf, Barton and Gary Jennings. Who?? One player in that draft that I'd consider an asset. One.

How about 2021? Our entire draft was used on Eskridge, Tre Brown and Stone Forsythe. You can't make this stuff up.

It goes without saying, but the Adams trade has really hurt us as well.

This is why we can't have nice things. You can't keep missing on high draft choices in the NFL, or trading them away without it catching up with you. Last year was much better and I hope that continues but looking at drafts past? I think a lot of soul searching needs to be done starting today. Maybe we need to hire some independent firm to conduct our draft room because this staff has not gotten it done. I am dead tired of this smoke and mirrors thing we have been doing and this all dates back to almost 10 years now. Only a handful of bonified stars in 10 years of drafting? I'm pissed and you, arguably the best fans in the league, should be too. Hey...I know I'm not telling you anythingensive roster you excellent posters don't already know. Just venting. Thanks for listening. Ughhhhhhhhhhh.
This, in spades!

I just do not understand the tendency that the "worst defensive roster in the league" or whatever we have now somehow happened in a vaccuum.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
What we see now is a result of a decade of overpaying a QB and a few other players who were good enough to keep us at the bottom of draft pick food chain. This is exactly the way the nfl has designed things in order to keep all markets in non-tilt mode. Parity is the lifeblood of market share. Now it's our turn to get higher picks and (hopefully) higher grade players with those picks.
We are paying the piper for a great run through the past 10 years. Here's hoping we can avoid mistakes other teams have made in the same situation.
We all knew going into it this year was going to be tough. Next year will be too. But by 2024 we should begin to poke our head above water as others get their chance to pay the bills for the fun they are enjoying now.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I believe one guy who gets penetration and commands double teams would make this defense look very different.

Hopefully he’s on the way.

BB was the worlds greatest coach when he had Tom Brady. Now he looks like an average NFL coach.

irfuben32

Reaction score
We need a true NT
a LB or two
a Center and a Guard

I see mocks where teams are moving up into the top 5 for a QB. It gives a shot at either Carter or Anderson. If they aren't there I say move down.

I think this can be a great team if these holes can be shored up and some depth added.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
What we see now is a result of a decade of overpaying a QB and a few other players who were good enough to keep us at the bottom of draft pick food chain.

This is the most single tired thought and saying on this board. Players were there at the spots when Seattle drafted its just that they have been putrid at picking them and whiffed for years now. Stop blaming the QBs contract on horrible drafts. It has nothing to do with the FO's failures.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
We need a true NT
a LB or two
a Center and a Guard

I see mocks where teams are moving up into the top 5 for a QB. It gives a shot at either Carter or Anderson. If they aren't there I say move down.

I think this can be a great team if these holes can be shored up and some depth added.
This is funny. Pocic and Glowinski who’s playing now for NY, were drafted in their true positions and both were great in their PFF grades this year. Maybe it’s our coaching huh.