what is baldwin contract terms?

Seymour

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":18pw4fwg said:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/doug-baldwin/

I like this site better as it does not go to Google first.

And it doesn't teach people that silly threads that are answered in a simple google search are lame. :roll:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Tempest_Crow":23ns7agy said:
As is how long and for how much?
The best source is overthecap.com. Search on the player's name.

Another one is spotrac.com. Search on the player's name and then click on Contract Details.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":3nptp61c said:
Seahawkfan80":3nptp61c said:

And it doesn't teach people that silly threads that are answered in a simple google search are lame. :roll:

Of course Google...why not just use google. I mean seriously people, who wants to actually turn subjects into discussions anyway? Message boards are so yesterday.....on to Google and away from interaction altogether

:sarcasm_off:

hawknation2016

Reaction score
kidhawk":1p8pvwa1 said:
Seymour":1p8pvwa1 said:
Seahawkfan80":1p8pvwa1 said:

Of course Google...why not just use google. I mean seriously people, who wants to actually turn subjects into discussions anyway? Message boards are so yesterday.....on to Google and away from interaction altogether

:sarcasm_off:

Well played

kidhawk

Reaction score
nIdahoSeahawk":2rp824au said:
Sadly, he's underpaid. If we are going to have a hold out every year, he's our biggest risk this year.

I don't see him as holding out. This is the final year of his 3 year deal. I think we could very well get a deal done with him to extend his contract. He's earned one and it would likely have a slight reduction in his cap hit for this season (currently at $5.6 million) if they structure it wisely.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kidhawk":1tkr3uqk said:
nIdahoSeahawk":1tkr3uqk said:
Sadly, he's underpaid. If we are going to have a hold out every year, he's our biggest risk this year.

I don't see him as holding out. This is the final year of his 3 year deal. I think we could very well get a deal done with him to extend his contract. He's earned one and it would likely have a slight reduction in his cap hit for this season (currently at $5.6 million) if they structure it wisely.

Yeah, I'd love to see an extension. Reward Baldwin for his breakout season, get him locked up longterm, and help our cap number this year in the process.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I'm more worried about Baldwin declining an extension in favor of playing it out. I'd wager that he's caught the eye of teams across the league and would make some nice money in the slot elsewhere.

If we can extend him I'd be excited to see them do it. He's convinced me.

Dare I ask what some of the top slot receivers in the league make or is someone going to provide a link to google?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Laloosh":2ol2fnrj said:
Dare I ask what some of the top slot receivers in the league make or is someone going to provide a link to google?
Overthecap.com doesn't differentiate between slot receivers and those lining up outside... but if you look at the list of WRs and what they're average salaries are you'll find that the highest-paid slot receivers are paid slightly more than Doug got in his last contract.

The top-paid slot receiver is Emmanuel Sanders at $5.0M/year. Doug's average salary over his extension was $4.33M.

Other data points to consider... Amendola is pulling down $4.75M/year and Edelman is right in there at $4.5M/year.

My thoughts are if Doug were extended at an average salary of $5.25M/year, that would make him the highest paid slot receiver and may satisfy him to stay a Seahawk.

McGruff

Reaction score
Laloosh":1a67dy61 said:
I'm more worried about Baldwin declining an extension in favor of playing it out. I'd wager that he's caught the eye of teams across the league and would make some nice money in the slot elsewhere.

If we can extend him I'd be excited to see them do it. He's convinced me.

Doug ain't no slot receiver.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201408 ... /140819522

“It pisses me off, to be honest with you, when people call me a slot receiver, because that's not who I am,” Baldwin said. “That was just my position when I got here, that's where they told me where they wanted me to play.”

“I think I'm versatile in many ways, and I personally think that if any receiver wants to relegate themselves just to the slot, they're limiting themselves,” Baldwin said. “There are many guys who have been able to display an ability to play the slot and play outside, and I think I'm one of those guys.”

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
So if you look at Baldwin's stats for this year and look for other receivers with similar stats... and also look at the same group to understand what their stats were in 2014, you can come up with a "Doug Baldwin peer group" of receivers that includes Emmanuel Sanders, TY Hilton, Eric Decker, and Michael Crabtree,

Next I looked at the average salary per year for the group. What stands out if TY Hilton is an anomaly at $13M/year.

Sanders is $5M, Decker is $7.25M and Crabtree is at $8.5M. Averaging those three yields $6.9M/year.

I believe that Eric Decker is the best comparison for Baldwin from a total yards standpoint and for TDs. In 2013 with Denver with Manning, Decker amassed 1288 yards and 11 TDs. In 2014 with Geno Smith and the Jets, his numbers dropped to 962 and 5. And in 2015, also with the Jets but with Fitzpatrick chucking the ball, they were back up to 1027 and 12.

In 2014, Doug's numbers were 825 and 3. And last year they were 1069 and 14.

So, I believe that one could justify an average salary for Doug's 3-year extension to be in the vicinity of $7.5M/year, slightly more than the contract Decker signed with the Jets as a FA back in 2014.

Thoughts?

Seafan

Reaction score
If he gets an extension it's not likely to happen until the season. There's too much other roster work to do first.

McGruff

Reaction score
Seafan":2mylieus said:
If he gets an extension it's not likely to happen until the season. There's too much other roster work to do first.

Extending Baldwin could actually save us money in 2016, so I actually think it will get done pretty early. The team tends to get right on these priority extensions.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seafan":qsyxf05l said:

He and Bennett are priority #1, you don't want to recreate last off season with two of your best players unhappy and chirping to the media all through training camp bleeding into the season.

Now if they don't accept the bumps in salary, or the negotiations get contentious? THEN you tell them we're moving on and focusing on the rest of the team's needs.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":grcjfhse said:
Seafan":grcjfhse said:

He and Bennett are priority #1, you don't want to recreate last off season with two of your best players unhappy and chirping to the media all through training camp bleeding into the season.

Now if they don't accept the bumps in salary, or the negotiations get contentious? THEN you tell them we're moving on and focusing on the rest of the team's needs.

According to Schneider, our UFA's are 'Priority #1.' That would make any extensions #2 at the highest.