Not Playing Seahawk Football

firebee

Reaction score
The last two losses boil down to one thing... The Seahawks just aren't playing Seahawk football. It appears since we've acquired Graham that, once again, Bevell has drifted from the gameplan that wins games and tried turning this offense into some kind of high flying offensive passing game like the Saints or the Patriots have and that's not what this offense is about. I see him making the same mistake with Graham that he did with Harvin. He's got a new toy and instead of trying to fit the new toy into the system, he's trying to alter the system to fit around the new toy.

This team wins games when we pound the ball, convert downs and methodically move down the field for the majority of the game. This team wins games when it keeps the game close and focuses on time of possession. I've been seeing us coming out and going for the big plays downfield early and often the last two games. We take an early lead and then we can't pull away and seal the deal in the 4th quarter because the opposing defense has made the adjustments to keep our guys in check downfield. Meanwhile our offensive line can't get the running game going at that point in the game because they haven't established any kind of rhythm due to them spending the majority of the game on the bench because we've been scoring quickly off a big passing play or going 3 and out. Trading for Lynch was JS and PC's first move as GM and HC for a reason. They want an offense the pounds a defense.

Darrell Bevell needs to pretend like Jimmy Graham is Luke Willson and just call the plays to move the chains. Stop trying to go for the big passing plays early and stop trying to get Graham involved. Just run the offense the way it's meant to be ran and let Graham work himself into the system. We aren't the Saints, the Falcons, Green Bay or New England. Pound the frickin ball and get the easy completions to keep the chains moving early. Save the big pass plays for late in the 3rd quarter and the 4th quarter when we really need them to work. If you don't use them early, a defense can't make the adjustments for them. Last year Russell Wilson threw the ball for 20+ yards 54 times over the course of the regular season. This year he's already thrown 24 through 5 games. This might look great for the statline, but stats don't win games. This stat puts our defense on the field more than our offense. We want our offense on the field for most of the game... not our defense.

Defensively... Just get back to the basics in coverage. I've seen us trying to implement a lot of different coverages this year and we're not using the cover 3 as much. Get back to bump and run cover 3. Quit trying to mix up the coverages so much. It's creating miscommunication and blown coverages. Michael Bennett??? Seriously, just take him out on situations where a 5 yard penalty will get the other team a 1st down or 3rd down situations. The man's a flag magnet and getting a penalty on 1st down or 2nd and long is kind of annoying, but flags on 3rd down or 2nd and short that help the other team convert downs makes me want to pull my hair out. I seriously can't stand the stupid penalties. They're killing the defense.

kearly

Reaction score
What hurts about the losses is that Seattle DID play Seahawks football for 3 quarters and was dominating two very good teams. But in the 4th, everything turned into a house of horrors.

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
I feel like the team read my post and said.. Yes.. This has been our problem and went back to playing Seahawk football against the Niners.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
firebee":274cuq5k said:
I feel like the team read my post and said.. Yes.. This has been our problem and went back to playing Seahawk football against the Niners.

I've been highly critical of the D as well, but I need to see what happened last night against a REALLY inept offense consistently against better teams before I'm willing to get excited.

If the D brings it again against Dallas and the Cards good offense? I'm back on board.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
firebee":2k9jjlsd said:

I feel like you need to post these more before games then.