Blame the offense.

Rob12

Reaction score
What a pathetic unit.

People around the country will see this as the defense giving the game up, but in reality, it's the exact opposite. This game reminded me of a Mike Holmgren era game where the game was clearly in hand and a vanilla offensive scheme was implemented to hold the lead. They had their foots on the throats of the one of the best teams in the AFC on the road and they let them up. The Bengals got back on their feet and started throwing knock out blows.

You can't put your defense on the field for that long. This offense is truly pathetic at this point. I saw two plays where Russ completely bailed on the pocket and was sacked as a result of it. That's not all on him, as he is conditioned by the choices of this FO to not put talent on the offensive line. He's being paid $22M a year to manage leads, instead of winning games. I'm not calling him a game manager but the fact that it was painfully obvious that the decision was made to try and not lose rather than win the game is telling.

I'm not calling for anyone's job but the ineptness of Darrell Bevell reared its ugly head again. Something has got to change.

I don't think the season is lost, but HFA is. These are the types of losses that can derail a season.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Rob12":1ntzcr3h said:
What a pathetic unit.

People around the country will see this as the defense giving the game up, but in reality, it's the exact opposite. This game reminded me of a Mike Holmgren era game where the game was clearly in hand and a vanilla offensive scheme was implemented to hold the lead. They had their foots on the throats of the one of the best teams in the AFC on the road and they let them up. The Bengals got back on their feet and started throwing knock out blows.

You can't put your defense on the field for that long. This offense is truly pathetic at this point. I saw two plays where Russ completely bailed on the pocket and was sacked as a result of it. That's not all on him, as he is conditioned by the choices of this FO to not put talent on the offensive line. He's being paid $22M a year to manage leads, instead of winning games. I'm not calling him a game manager but the fact that it was painfully obvious that the decision was made to try and not lose rather than win the game is telling.

I'm not calling for anyone's job but the ineptness of Darrell Bevell reared its ugly head again. Something has got to change.

I don't think the season is lost, but HFA is. These are the types of losses that can derail a season.
One question I have is why were we using Fred Jackson so much in OT and the 4th quarter? You don't just recover from a high ankle sprain in one week. He looked as slow as molasses.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
HFA? We're not even over .500.

And I agree, this was on the Nerf Offense. The more you force an opponent to fight for their lives, the harder you have to hold them down. We make teams desperate, then give them breathing room. Of course they're going to make us pay, and they will continue to do so until this clown is sent packing.

Exittium

Reaction score
I blame Kam just as much it was his Blown assignment (Twice same dude) that led to cincy getting both TDs to stay in it.. all Kam, mr want mo money lol I mean even Earl and Sherm both times look at him and gave him the "wth dude" look

sherman123

Reaction score
plenty of blame to go around. Williams couldn't cover a plastic bag, bennett had his usual dumb penalty of the day, kam blew his assignments, Bevell pulled the usual Bevel prevent offense. Offensive line got penalties at the worst possible time. Receivers couldn't get open when it mattered... i could go on.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Offense was just terrible. All they needed to do was score 1 FG in the entire 4th Quarter and OT and were unable to do so. Just pathetic.

Exittium

Reaction score
if Kam didn't blow his assignments the game wouldn't have even been in OT they'd only have at the most 1 td ..

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
HawkFan72":24oypuq1 said:
Offense was just terrible. All they needed to do was score 1 FG in the entire 4th Quarter and OT and were unable to do so. Just pathetic.

Yeah and they had two shots at it too

Reaneypark

Reaction score
When we needed first downs to seal the deal, we didn't get them and the OT possessions where a crap show, thanks to the OLine.

The D could have done better, but Cincy's O is legit and our O couldn't step on their necks.

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Exittium":3af73s8m said:
if Kam didn't blow his assignments the game wouldn't have even been in OT they'd only have at the most 1 td ..

Maybe if the offense could sustain a drive or two we wouldn't be in that position in the first place. The D was gassed from the constant possessions resulting in punts.

bandiger

Reaction score
HawkFan72":40it0cgo said:

Well avoiding some 3 n outs would have sufficed really, not that hard but under Bevell it feels like a monumental task unless this team is trailing.... :pukeface:

justafan

Reaction score
The D got shredded.it probably should have been worse if Cincy didn't bobble away a td.

Exittium

Reaction score
Rob12":2xiflx5z said:
Exittium":2xiflx5z said:

Maybe if the offense could sustain a drive or two we wouldn't be in that position in the first place. The D was gassed from the constant possessions resulting in punts.

that doesn't even come close to mattering. The 1st TD they had Kam blew, the 2nd in what the 3rd qtr? Kam blew... if the defense was Gassed by the 3rd qtr i wanna know who the hell the conditioning coach is because they failed as well. This defense used to be good all damn game regardless of how much time was on the field. Kam shit the bed with Bevell on this one. I blame Kam more so since both early TD's were from his roont inept ability to cover his guy and just let him run by.

firebee

Reaction score
Russ had no faith in his protection... He was hopping around and trying to scramble when he didn't have to. This was painfully obvious on the underthrown pass to Lockett in OT. He started hopping around, spinning and trying to scramble when all he had to do is shift a step to his right and fire the ball over the top to Lockett. Russ needs to settle down in the pocket and trust his protection more. Also painful to watch... No plays called in OT that were designed to get Wilson out of the pocket. Every one of the pass plays was a play designed for him to throw from the pocket when everybody and their grandmother knows our pass pro is suspect to say the least. Was Bevell trying to lose the game with his playcalling in OT?

Defensively.... We seriously need to make adjustments and account for TEs. Tight ends are killing us this year, especially when Kam is playing robber coverage. We have this tall rangy guy that runs a 4.4 and he's pretty good at pass rushing, but he's also a perfect matchup against TEs in coverage.... I think his name is Bruce Irvin, but no no... let's put Cary Williams on the TE... SMDH. Can we, at least, match up Irvin with a TE when Kam is playing robber coverage, so the QB has to attempt dropping a pass in over the top with some placement , instead of giving the QB the easiest throw in the world to make?

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Exittium":ir2r0zs4 said:
Rob12":ir2r0zs4 said:
Exittium":ir2r0zs4 said:

that doesn't even come close to mattering. The 1st TD they had Kam blew, the 2nd in what the 3rd qtr? Kam blew... if the defense was Gassed by the 3rd qtr i wanna know who the hell the conditioning coach is because they failed as well. This defense used to be good all damn game regardless of how much time was on the field. Kam shit the bed with Bevell on this one. I blame Kam more so since both early TD's were from his roont inept ability to cover his guy and just let him run by.

Not sustaining drives and punting after three plays on most possessions doesn't come close to mattering? What?

Without Kam it would have been worse. To put this on Kam is lame. He saved our asses last week, but is the goat this week? Come on. The offense went vanilla and willingly gave up possessions to a top flight offense. You can't do that crap. Eventually, things will start to break down a bit. And that's exactly what happened. The reliance on the D is getting harmful to this team. The thought process, that, we'll just run predictable plays and let our D get back on the field is now losing us games.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
The offense has still not scored over 20 points all season. They are averaging less than 17 points per game. Even with a spectacular performance by Rawls we couldn't score points. How about some play action and sending our superstar TE down the seam?

Are there any Bevell apologists left?

OP
OP
Rob12

Rob12

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":4zjn6t6o said:
The offense has still not scored over 20 points all season. They are averaging less than 17 points per game. Even with a spectacular performance by Rawls we couldn't score points. How about some play action and sending our superstar TE down the seam?

Are there any Bevell apologists left?

Anyone catching this?

The offense is averaging less than 17 points a game.

Blame the offense for this meltdown.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
The offense was absolutely awful in the 4th. Something needs to change. Can't go on all year like this.

Latest posts