Fahey says Wilson, not Revis, took Baldwin out of Super Bowl

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Baldwin was constantly open because Revis couldn't mirror his movement from the slot. The receiver didn't produce because his quarterback, Russell Wilson, played with the same hesitation and fear that was way too common throwing the ball in 2014.

Despite what the statistics suggest, Revis didn't take Baldwin out of the game. Wilson did.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2392 ... -his-prime

Fahey does excellent and exhaustive analysis. If he says it, it's probably true.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Most of the posters here have noted that Russell is virtually paranoid of throwing an interception. He likes his Receivers "wide open"......as do most QB's.

Tical21

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2eqgqodu said:
Most of the posters here have noted the Russell is virtually paranoid of throwing an interception. He likes his Receivers "wide open"......as do most QB's.
They were. There were plays were all four receivers in the route were "wide open", as in nobody within 5-7 yards, and Russell stood back there patting the ball. He wasn't being selective, he was being gunshy. There is a distinct difference.

The worst part is, I got curious and went back and looked, and found several instances of this in all the games (4 in total) that I watched. Primarily against man coverage. It could be bad coaching, but against man coverage with more than zero safeties, we don't know what to do with the ball. My bet, however, is that it isn't bad coaching, because we typically have pretty good routes called to beat man coverage, and the receivers usually at least win their route. I'm concerned. Something definitely isn't right.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Will this offseason ever end? It just gets more ridiculous with everyday that passes.

@Tical, we already know you think anybody off the street would do just fine. It's a ridiculous and tired opinion that we have all lived through for what? 35 years give or take? But it's your's and you have every right to it even if it's objectively false by actual fact and results in real games.

There are objective provable facts and statistics as to why quarterbacks get ridiculous money and so will Wilson. And in doing so the Seahawks will virtually guarantee first tier relevance for the next ten years. It's just how it works in the current setup and I see nothing to change that anytime soon.

Baldwin is damned good but he's nothing but a second or third receiver outside Seattle. Graham is actual first tier and Lockett is another step in the right direction. If Richardson is recovering as fast as everyone is saying, now you may have something special especially if a couple others progress at all.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It's basically true. It's been documented how much he was open and I'm one of the one's who's usually kind of annoyed with Baldwin's little brother syndrome.

Wilson generally plays pretty tight throughout the first 3.5 quarters, however; and when the game is on the line he'll sling it a little more, often with good results. The SB was no different in the former. The latter was a bit of a different story. Both in the poorly placed ball to Kearse that he caught and the poorly placed infamous last throw.

Tical21

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3o6wuqbz said:
Will this offseason ever end? It just gets more ridiculous with everyday that passes.

@Tical, we already know you think anybody off the street would do just fine. It's a ridiculous and tired opinion that we have all lived through for what? 35 years give or take? But it's your's and you have every right to it even if it's objectively false by actual fact and results in real games.

There are objective provable facts and statistics as to why quarterbacks get ridiculous money and so will Wilson. And in doing so the Seahawks will virtually guarantee first tier relevance for the next ten years. It's just how it works in the current setup and I see nothing to change that anytime soon.

Baldwin is damned good but he's nothing but a second or third receiver outside Seattle. Graham is actual first tier and Lockett is another step in the right direction. If Richardson is recovering as fast as everyone is saying, now you may have something special especially if a couple others progress at all.
I fail to see what any of this has to do with this thread or anything I've posted in it.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Again I'll note that Baldwin isn't my favorite personality, but the fact of the matter is that he is one of the quickest players in the league. He ran a 6.56 3-cone. To put that in perspective, DeSean Jackson ran a 6.82. Obviously Jackson's 4.3 long speed exacerbates his quickness as with many players who are considered to have elite quickness. In the short area, however; Baldwin is extremely, extremely difficult to cover pending he can get off the press. Guys like Welker have made an elite living in the slot with elite short area quickness. If Baldwin were to go to Denver, both he and Manning would feel right at home and Baldwin would light it up with Manning and his low velocity, (arm strength) short to mid throws he likes to make. Baldwin would be a 100 catch kind of guy.

If you think you need to be able to compare what a Seattle WR can do in another offense, you need only look at Tate. It's not a matter of comparing production though. Fit plays a huge part. Tate would always be more productive with Wilson than would Baldwin because Tate gets down the field better.

Also, the book is still out on Richardson. He's got true deep speed and good quickness, but he's skinny as a rail and will need to prove he can both stay healthy and beat press coverage with some consistency on the outside where he'll need to play. He's not strong enough to play inside. Not for long anyway.

Lockett looks great on film. He gets wide open with natural savvy to go along with his very good speed and quickness. I think it would be foolish to think him something better than what we have as a sheer WR just because he's new though. I'm not sure how much PT he even gets this year outside of returner duties.

Graham is the kind of guy Wilson needs. A catching radius that is basically better than....anyone. Pair that with all the other physical attributes and I'll be surprised if Wilson misses him high, which is usually where Wilson struggles with ball placement or throws that are just plain too high in the middle zones.

kearly

Reaction score
If Wilson did miss these opportunities that's a bit annoying since he had all day to throw in the SB.

However, Wilson did average 11.8 yards per attempt anyway. And had that last pass play been executed a bit better, Wilson would have finished with one of the highest passer rating performances in SB history.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
That the game is done, over, dead and that nobody can prove what is being asserted in real time. Too many things happen beyond mere film to know beyond educated opinion let alone objective fact.

It's a dead horse. We chose a dumb play, the other team made a damn good play, we lost. End of story.

To say Wilson should have passed to Baldwin time and time again to Baldwin against Revis is revionist's history as I see it. Given his touchdown catch happened because the referee literally blocked Revis to the ground in the first place.

It's a game of woulda, coulda, shoulda. It needs to stop because it's a new year and the rabbit hole is bottomless.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Meh, I'm pretty sure the Hawks are getting another ring this year anyway. Made a thread about it previously and I still have that same 2013/14 feeling that the loss from the previous year drives them to correct and surpass. Coupled with the talent pool I think it's a pretty safe bet.

The only real concerns I have right now are money. John and Pete will take care of the things that are in their control outside of said money.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I actually saw a dead horse once on the bank of the Columbia in the sand and mud in the Woodland Bottoms. Couple of vultures were feeding on it. Not a lot of real flesh left. Mostly organs and innards.

Talking about the superbowl isn't quite like a vision of beating that thing. It certainly wouldn't smell as bad.

Yeah, I'm a smartarse and a jerk to boot. Sorry.... :lol:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
vin.couve12":25f64zvo said:
Meh, I'm pretty sure the Hawks are getting another ring this year anyway. Made a thread about it previously and I still have that same 2013/14 feeling that the loss from the previous year drives them to correct and surpass. Coupled with the talent pool I think it's a pretty safe bet.

The only real concerns I have right now are money. John and Pete will take care of the things that are in their control outside of said money.
Right after the Superbowl I would have said you were nuts but as things move along day by day the more I'm convinced something epic is coming concerning our beloved Seahawks (Wilson drama aside but I expected that so am not the least bit worried about how it'll turn out).

I'm not exactly worried about the money moreso just resigned to the limitations. Though they will be much less than most can comprehend given how the cap is going to grow for the next few years.

The drama doesn't faze me given I grew up in the Bay Area and went to college in Raider/49ers country in the Montana/Young era.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1tzoptcj said:
vin.couve12":1tzoptcj said:

Right after the Superbowl I would have said you were nuts but as things move along day by day the more I'm convinced something epic is coming concerning our beloved Seahawks (Wilson drama aside but I expected that so am not the least bit worried about how it'll turn out).

I'm not exactly worried about the money moreso just resigned to the limitations. Though they will be much less than most can comprehend given how the cap is going to grow for the next few years.

The drama doesn't faze me given I grew up in the Bay Area and went to college in Raider/49ers country in the Montana/Young era.
What part of the Bay? I live in East O near High St. in a couple different places. Was a different experience. Also part of the reason that Lynch makes me laugh. People call him a thug, but if you've been there, his persona is just very....Oakland. Mannerisms, speech patterns, etc. Cracks me up.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
vin.couve12":ukzx2pgp said:
MizzouHawkGal":ukzx2pgp said:
vin.couve12":ukzx2pgp said:

What part of the Bay? I live in East O near High St. in a couple different places. Was a different experience. Also part of the reason that Lynch makes me laugh. People call him a thug, but if you've been there, his persona is just very....Oakland. Mannerisms, speech patterns, etc. Cracks me up.
Heh, I have loads of family that live in or did live near you, in the Oakland Hills and East Oakland. I was mostly in Antioch, Concord, Martinez, and San Francisco.

And yeah, Marshawn is so typical. Scary looking but totally nice and real if you're nice and real. Just any person in that area.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":8wka55v4 said:
vin.couve12":8wka55v4 said:
MizzouHawkGal":8wka55v4 said:
vin.couve12":8wka55v4 said:

Heh, I have loads of family that live in or did live near you, in the Oakland Hills and East Oakland. I was mostly in Antioch, Concord, Martinez, and San Francisco.
Oh I only lived out there for about a year. Had to see about a girl at the time. I'm from Vancouver predominantly, with stops around the West Coast. I still haven't had a bean pie like the ones at Muhammad's on McArthur to this day.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Revis basically did to Wilson what Sherman has so often done to opposing QBs like Aaron Rodgers, who avoided targeting the right side of the field even once in last year's opener and who missed obvious opportunities to exploit Sherman's injury after he hurt his elbow in the NFC Championship Game.

Baldwin was beating Revis pretty regularly on inside dig routes, but Wilson was altogether unwilling to find him. Revis's reputation, like Sherman's, precedes him. Here are some examples:

3rd6 550 2ndqtr

1st10 40sec 1stqtr

1st10 1408 3rdqtr

2nd8 154 3rdqtr

3rd7 1323 4thqtr

3rd3 112 3rdQtr

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Looking at those GIFs of Baldwin, there was probably one where Wilson could of thrown his way, and one where a defender is in his face. The other ones looked like they already had a player in mind to pass to and Baldwin's name wasn't called for those plays. That should be the OC's fault right if he's not letting Baldwin get some touches if he's beating Revis all day? Also we can't tell if Baldwin is used as bait to get the other guys open. Heck I'll take it that we played extra safe not throwing Revis' way. Who knows it's the past now, move on.

Crizilla

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1z3avmnv said:

lol

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Russell definitely has his own Pete Carroll field position, ball control style of play which leaves a ton on the plate but reduces turnovers. It is pretty easy to watch tape on any of his games and see his hesitation to throw to (NFL) wide open receivers. I would like to think that a good bit of that is/ has been Carroll keeping tight reins on him during his early career. Given how successful he has been at the end of games when he has to sling it, I think Wilson is fully capable of playing a traditional role, he just isn't asked to do that often.

With the additions this year, I expect to see things loosen up a little bit and Wilson sling it a little more.

It is still hard to judge just how good Wilson really is. He has great numbers that are buoyed in some ways and hindered in others by the system he plays in and the supporting cast he works with. Lynch and the D allow him to shine in certain areas by creating opportunity and covering when there are mistakes. At the same time they pull recognition away from the great things that he actually does.

The non-traditional parts of his game are elite, but we still don't know for sure that he can utilize an elite receiving threat in an elite manner. My question regarding his future is, what happens mid-career when the wheels start to slow down, the hits take their toll, and Wilson has to play a more traditional role? No one has made a long career playing Wilson's style of football.

If I were the Hawks, I would make a low, but reasonable offer this offseason and stick to it. Don't budge. Know that Wilson won't take it, but don't budge. Before opening the vault door, I want to see what he will be able to do with an elite receiving threat. If he is able to take advantage of Graham's presence and get elite level production out of him, only then would I open the vault door.

To me, this is make or break year for Wilson and the Hawks. Lynch will likely be gone after this year, next year at the latest. In his absence, can Wilson carry the offense? That is the 22 million dollar question that needs to be answered this year. Wilson is certainly better than 90% of the other options, but in Carroll's system is he worth what he will easily get on the open market?