Top 5 reasons for this remarkable offensive turnaround!

Tokadub

Reaction score
This offensive turnaround we have witnessed is amazing! We were a team more likely to go three and out than get a first down earlier this season! We'd put together one or two nice drives per game that almost seemed like a fluke in comparison to the horrendous overall performance.

Our offensive performance in the first half of the season forced me to logically conclude that we were more likely to miss the playoffs than make them.

I did the math just 5 games ago and Russell Wilson was on pace for something depressing along the lines of 17 Touchdowns and 11 Interceptions for the season!

What we have witnessed the last 5 games is one of the most remarkable and unpredictable changes imaginable. We didn't turn it around with our star players returning to health and carrying us to victory... it was the exact opposite! We lose Marshawn Lynch and Jimmy Graham and instead of collapsing we become stronger than ever, it's truly amazing and has saved the season for us fans and the team.

If I had to attribute credit for this turnaround I would rank it like this (and feel free to add your own!):

1) Offensive Line

I have been complaining about the offensive line for years because I felt that Russell Wilson and Marshawn Lynch were literally putting the team on their shoulders and overcoming horrendous line play and still putting up at times great numbers.

We can now finally see the huge difference of having a strong offensive line, and how greatly it benefits the whole team! The quality protection and sturdy pocket that we are seeing now we have never seen before for Russell Wilson. The results speak for themselves as Wilson is putting up historically great numbers in these last few games.

I am not sure if the Offensive Lines success is due to the opposition not game planning effectively to pressure Wilson? Maybe they expect that the "default" defensive line play will collapse the pocket and give Wilsons problems and haven't adjusted to the fact that we can now hold the line more often than not?

I am really glad that we finally got Patrick Lewis at Center, I never really noticed a drop off in the past when he filled in for Unger which led me to believe that either Unger was overrated or that Lewis was really good. I never understood the decision for him to not be starting in the first place, but I'm glad he's in now and his presence seems to be making a world of difference for Britt and Sweezy.

I think the next 2 games will be a big test for the Offensive Line. The Rams always bring it and Arizona's record speaks for itself. Hopefully our guys can keep up this excellent level of play.

2) Russell Wilson

Over the years I have been watching Wilson very closely and have also defended him numerous times to opposing fan bases while always backing up my claims with the stats and the facts. In my opinion he was arguably the 5th best QB in the league after just his second season! I have all kinds of detailed statistics and giant QB comparison charts and analysis buried somewhere deep in the past of these forums... the point being that seeing what was happening earlier this year really made me mad.

We still didn't have a good offensive line something I have been begging for since his rookie season, in fact it appeared to be worst than ever. Wilson looked mentally shell shocked, unable to instinctively and immediately make the correct decisions no matter what the circumstances (a natural ability that had always been one of his greatest strengths). Instead we saw Wilson at times almost shrink into the fetal position accepting his sacks like they were inevitable. Wilson seemed unable to overcome the atrocious offensive line and questionable play calling, it seemed like he was finally due for a down year or even a regression in his development as a QB.

It seemed to me that enough was enough! We needed to make some big changes! Our coaching staff had plenty of time to put together a better Offensive Line and this is what we get?! Heads needed to roll! Cable and Bevell both seemed to have overstayed their welcome and needed to be replaced immediately for the future of the Seahawks and the safety of Russell Wilson's career.

But then... out of nowhere... Russell Wilson and our entire offense is playing better than ever! I don't understand how it happened so fast... offensive line improvements seems to be the biggest factor which is why I have it ranked #1 but regardless it is incredible and it blows my mind!

3) Darrell Bevell

Bevell has always shown potential, he has shown the ability to call some very cool plays. What he has always lacked was the consistency, the ability to call a high percentage offense that was likely to be productive on every drive.

There were a lot of games where some of the calls were just flat out mind boggling. There were also many games where we would attempt to force the run when it clearly wasn't working even when our passing efficiency was off the charts (and vice versa).

Something just seemed a bit off with his "game sense", like he had all these great ideas but was just unable to put them all together lining up all the pieces to perfection...

What we have seen the past few weeks has been some GREAT offense. I am not going to get into X's and O's but the numbers Russell Wilson and Doug Baldwin are putting up speak for themselves! We are finally scoring in the red zone and our 3rd down conversion rate has skyrocketed.

For all the doubt and "hate" myself and others have expressed, (I always tried to back it up with stats and examples/analysis in a historical context of his time with the Seahawks) we must now all give Bevell some undeniable credit once and for all as he has called some beautifully effective games. Good job Bevell keep it up!

4) Seahawks Players

Our whole team just looks better plain and simple. The fiery chemistry seems to be back. We don't see guys blaming each other or looking disinterested or lazy on any given plays.

All our guys seem to be giving it 110% again and just simply doing their jobs, the cheesey phrase "there is no I in team" definitely applies.

It is understandable the team would have some mental hurdles to overcome after losing the Superbowl like they did, and then playing so poorly at the start of the season. But what we are witnessing just shows the quality of character and mental strength that our core of guys possess. We are back! Regardless of what ends up happening the rest of the season we have already witnessed a collective display of the heart of a champion.

5) Pete Carroll

I have always really liked Carroll he seems like a great coach who understands how to get the most out of his players and bring the guys together to 'Win Forever'.

Carroll has a big influence on all 4 of my above points and he has done such an amazing job with Seahawks. GO HAWKS!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
The biggest 2 in my mind are the line got better, and either light finally came on fr DB, or someone kicked him in the butt, as he has opened the playbook, and got away from taking dumb risks and got away from run, run, pass, punt play calling. I'm hoping he doesn't revert back to "bad Bevell".

Seymour

Reaction score
I don't have time to read that whole post but have a comment on Oline. 11 QB hits, ring a bell? If your name was Russell it would because that is how many he took! Scheme and Wilson have as much or more to with the success as the Oline, and it still needs some work and help this off season.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Addition by subtraction with Cary Williams can't be undervalued. I think he was a cancer for this defense and the reason for the Kam Chancellor hold out.

When Jimmy went down Russ stopped trying to force the ball. He just plays and throws to whoever is open. Graham was drawing double coverage and was still his #1 read. I think there was a lot of pressure to try and make Graham fit in. Not that he won't but it wasn't seamless.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Nice post Tokadub.You put a lot into it and didn't leave much out but the RB/WR's also picked up their games

falcongoggles

Reaction score
6) cutting Cary Williams. I think that shook people out of their stupor that their jobs were safe. Perform or your out, contract be damned