Fahey says Wilson, not Revis, took Baldwin out of Super Bowl

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Did anyone forget that Baldwin scored a touchdown on Revis? It seems like everyone did.

Russell has a lot of room to grow. I thought he struggled for most of the first two quarters because he was very clearly pressing. Which I saw all year long.

I like somebody posting the GIFs. I would prefer a GIF that shows the whole field and the whole play from both views, or at least an explanation of what happened on those individual plays in the totality of the play rather than just the lil bit that looks bad. And that last GIF is textbook D by the Pats, not sure how that shows Baldwin beating anyone.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
It's almost like he's an above average quarterback that leaves alot to be desired in the passing game. Guess we should give him elite money because of the success he's had.....

randomation

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":nws7g9qk said:
It's almost like he's an above average quarterback that leaves alot to be desired in the passing game. Guess we should give him elite money because of the success he's had.....

I guess we should trade Russ for Dalton straight up since that is how you want him to paid.

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Wow just wow. You can take any QB and find these things. Everyone has a progression and rules they work under.

The scheme we play also dictates this, what Wilson will take or not. We have been hugely successful in this style and yet everyone here is like well he's not elite or what ever.

Lets put brass tacks down.... Right now who would you trade RW for, How many QB's in the league? Maybe two, Luck and Rogers, everyone else is either too old or way below him in skill sets. So now what is he worth?

This is not to say the RW does not have to still continue to grow and progress as a QB but he is doing exactly what we want from him. Play to win!!!! We are so damn spoiled right now. QB that are game changers are hard to come by and RW can change games, he just is different

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I don't know that I would trade Wilson for Luck. Wilson and Luck have been the best at game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks since entering the league, but Luck has really....and I mean really ish the bed in a couple of playoff games. It's yet another way he reminds me of Elway, whom I still contend would have never won a ring without TD and that rather revolutionary zone blocking scheme to go with it.

In regards to the defensiveness of Wilson as a whole from many posters, however; try going about the subject with some realism instead of acting like you're defending your mamma.

Wilson flat out missed a lot of people. He always does.

Every QB flat out misses a lot of people. Basically happens every game unless a QB gets really hot.

Wilson has a propensity to look at the deeper routes first on a given play and then come back to the shorter routes if he doesn't see anything more downfield. That's just the way he is. Obviously IF he sees a blitz or just a flaw in alignment he'll go with a hot route at time, but on a standard passing play you often see RW with his eyes downfield.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Wilson isn't the best pocketpasser in the league, we know that. However, being a bit cautious in the NFL is usually a good thing as a QB. It's better to hold on to the ball and get no yards on a play then to throw an interception.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Omg you guys are reaching. How many times has Wilson thrown the ball, deep where the defenders have a better chance to swarm on the ball, when the WRs were in coverage. Hell, Kearse has two defenders on him when he made that acrabatical catch. Sidney Rice in OT against Chicago. I can keep going on and on.

Guys are open more often than not and do not receive the ball. That's when like loud moth WRs like TO and Moss are yelling for the ball.

Russell Wilson has never had a true #1 target that you can trust to make a play on each and every throw. We finally get that.

@TheJimmyGraham

Love Russell and no body in the league is perfect. I'll take never losing more than 5 games in a season, a playoff win in each of his first three seasons, two Superbowl appearances, and 1 ring if it means every now and then he misses on a throw and never throws an interception.

Let's not forget this was against Revised who like Sherman will male you think you arw open and then undercuts the route and its a pick.

Wilson is no dummy.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
He definitely missed Doug a couple of times over the middle, there were also times Baldwin was open and he went elsewhere.. (Matthews and Kearse).

The one that hurt the most was the 3rd and 7 where he took a sack.. but thats a tough throw to make with a free blitzer coming 100 MPH down the pipe and even if he makes that throw, its hard to say if it would have had enough zip to get there or if it would have sailed on him from the pressure, floated in the air, etc. Not to mention that raises Wilson's risk for screwing up his shoulder 10 fold. So I won't hold that one against him too much.

I think there is definitely data to back up that Wilson shies away from throws across the middle though. A lot of his passes tend to stay down the sidelines. Why that is is anyone's guess. Is it his size? Lack of trust in his WR's? Pass protection? Hard to say. Graham should definitely help improve this though.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2zlq6963 said:
Did anyone forget that Baldwin scored a touchdown on Revis? It seems like everyone did.

Russell has a lot of room to grow. I thought he struggled for most of the first two quarters because he was very clearly pressing. Which I saw all year long.

I like somebody posting the GIFs. I would prefer a GIF that shows the whole field and the whole play from both views, or at least an explanation of what happened on those individual plays in the totality of the play rather than just the lil bit that looks bad. And that last GIF is textbook D by the Pats, not sure how that shows Baldwin beating anyone.

I didn't forget it. It's just that Baldwin could not have been more wide open on that play due to Revis running into the referee. Actually, given that it was Baldwin's only target that day, the play kind of illustrates the point about Wilson being hesitant to target Revis. I agree with you that as a fan base, we need to stop being such absolutists in pretending these players are perfect snowflakes with no room for improvement. Wilson tends to hold onto the ball too long at times, and thereby misses short windows of opportunity on plays like the ones above. That problem is only compounded when he is making a read against a cornerback with the skill and reputation of Revis.

2nd3_526_3rdqtr.gif

drdiags

Reaction score
This is more of the on-going debate whether Seattle WRs cannot get separation or if Wilson's height prevents him from making all the throws. There have been throws in games where he seems to sail a few early and eventually gets them under control. I don't know if there are any QBs that haven't had a few hiccups during a game and it doesn't detract from their impact on their teams. Look at the Rodgers pick-fest that was the Bills game.

Elite QBs overcome those type of hiccups. I personally would like to see the Seahawks attack the middle of the field more but I surely will not complain about the last 3 yrs under Wilson. The Seahawks just have not had a QB as clutch as Wilson in their history. Matt was good in that Superbowl window, but toward the end of his time here the rock-solid belief I had that he would comeback waned.

I guess in another 10 yrs or so, the same will be happening to Wilson but right now he is still ascending. He has faced more adversity the past year or so, which is good to see because it only verifies his qualities to overcome and press on.

All QBs have an Achilles heel, the good ones rise above it when pressed to battle their weaknesses. I also think our offensive philosophy handcuffs our passing game. Who knows what Wilson, Baldwin and others look like in a high volume passing game with an ordinary running game? That may come in the next few years as cap pressures force the team to gut the defense as they have to pay more realistic QB wages.

Jville

Reaction score
Is New York Jets Cornerback Darrelle Revis Past His Prime?

This thread is funny. The article was re-purposed by the OP.

The linked OP article is a Darrelle Revis promotion written specifically for Jets, Revis and North Eastern Fans. Most other players mentioned, in the presentation, are mentioned to shape the image of ..... the great Darell Revis.

All hail Darrell Revis! LOL

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
My interpretation is that it's caution combined with greed. Most of those routes on which Baldwin is getting open are shorter throws over the middle, and both Russell Wilson and Pete Carroll have proven time and again during their tenure together in Seattle that they prefer the deep throws. They have the statistical value of ten shorter throws, they flip field position, they leave a defense reeling, and Wilson has magnificent accuracy on them. Ability to make a contested redline throw is one of the qualities on which Seattle drafts receivers in the first place. This just isn't a short-throw mentality; Wilson is looking for the deeper stuff.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Baldwin did say after the Super Bowl that he was "kind of frustrated [he] didn’t get more opportunities." That could mean he wishes he got open more often or that he wishes he got the ball more when he was open (see above).

hawkfannj

Reaction score
I knew Baldwin was open on some routes but when you break it down like that it does look like Wilson is gun shy . The elite QBs make those throws . Well let's see what he does this year NO Excuse when you got a guy like Jimmy Graham in the red zone . I truly think this is the year he either shine as a QB or just be another great athlete! That's my 2 cents . I'm not a Wilson hater but I don't believe he is this ultra great hall of fame QB that some might think .
This is the NFL you got to make those throws can't wait for guys to be " wide open" cause that rarely happens defense is too good at this level

scutterhawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1f0nnyc7 said:
Damn. This thread starts with bleacher report, and just gets stupider. I feel like I lost knowledge here. :roll:
:lol: Yeah, it seems like some folks posting on this thread are taking the " Dum It Down " to a whole another level.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
EntiatHawk":2r9vbib8 said:
Wow just wow. You can take any QB and find these things. Everyone has a progression and rules they work under.

The scheme we play also dictates this, what Wilson will take or not. We have been hugely successful in this style and yet everyone here is like well he's not elite or what ever.

Lets put brass tacks down.... Right now who would you trade RW for, How many QB's in the league? Maybe two, Luck and Rogers, everyone else is either too old or way below him in skill sets. So now what is he worth?

This is not to say the RW does not have to still continue to grow and progress as a QB but he is doing exactly what we want from him. Play to win!!!! We are so damn spoiled right now. QB that are game changers are hard to come by and RW can change games, he just is different
Wow, Rodgers & Luck are putting up 600 to 900 + Yards a Season to bolster their running game numbers?, I did not know that.
Wilson is doing EXACTLY what Pete Carroll and Darrell Bevel are asking him to do.
Be conservative with the passes, work on ball control, eat up the clock, and all the while, do all these things without top tier Receivers.
What's annoying in the grading of Wilson by some of these jokers, is that they'd like us to focus on THEIR bottom line, and to group him in with the Pure Passers and their stats, even when it's obvious that he's playing an "ELITE" and successful style....most games won by a Quarterback in NFL History for his first three Years.
Adjusting for the play of his Receivers, only to have his most touted targets get shipped out, (Percy Harvin, Golden Tate) or injured, (Sidney Rice) , so, if we're to believe in better play by the O-Line through "Continuety" , doesn't the same ring true for our Quarterback and his Receivers?
Not disagreeing with you, just wanted to add to your assessment EntiatHawk