Should We Trade Michael Bennett?

farhat

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...hael-bennett-trying-to-get-the-contract-right

Bennett wants more money. He says: "At the end of the day, it's all about the business side of things." Which means, "It's about the money." What happened to the Bennett during last season that was preaching: "It's all about the team. We've all already reached our personal accolades. Now, all we care about is winning." He's clearly changed his tune.

How can we pay Russell Wilson, Bobby Wagner and Michael Bennett? I do not believe it is possible.

Should we just trade Michael Bennett, go with Frank Clark and plan for our future? If I were to rank these players by value, it would be: Wilson, Wagner and then Bennett.

(I know there is another thread about Bennett wanting more money...but this thread is about: should we trade him?)

Fade

Reaction score
No.

Rhetorically should the Vikings trade AP? No because it is impossible to get equal value.

Moses Bread led the league or was among the league leaders in pressures, if he is traded the Seahawks would be a worse football team.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
No, the Seahawks shouldn't trade Bennett. Bennett needs a reality check though. He's not as irreplacable as he seems to think he is.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
He's only finished one year of his contract. The team should and will stand firm.
LMAO at posts asking if WE should trade do this or that with a player. Unless WE just became GM or owner, can WE stop being so delusional?

ringless

Reaction score
I would have to say from the team perspective. No

He can pretend likes he's going to hold out but he won't because he holds no cards. He is under contract for a few more years. By holding out he can't accomplish anything. If I were the Hawks I'd ignore the situation knowing the fines will cause him to report. It's not like it's a contract year. At this point his bark is worse than his bite. I wouldn't even be concerned about it if I were you. He will be suiting up on Sunday's on his current contract

seacat1

Reaction score
Does anyone know if he holds out would he have to return any of his signing bonus?

massari

Reaction score
If they can get a 1st or 2nd rounder for him or Wilkerson from the Jets in a 3 team trade, them yeah trade him.

The Seahawks need to put their foot down here since him holding out is more his loss than the Seahawks since he won't be getting paid at all.

massari

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1n36zaht said:
a cancer..trade him harvin style...

No rumors of him being bad towards teammates/coaches , not as big of a cap hit as Harvin and not as injury prone.

pmedic920

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12981 ... skips-otas

I have really mixed feelings on this.
To be perfectly honest I can't make up my mind on what I think should be done.

I think that I think, they should just let him either play or hold out this year. If he holds out, he hurts his value. If he really wants a trade or to increase his value, he will go all out on the field this year.
Next year he can test the market or they can dump him.
I just don't think he's worth what he thinks he is, and I sure don't want any distractions/ cancers.

He IS NOT JJ Watt :{)

OP
OP
F

farhat

Reaction score
I love it when guys say: "you're not the gm...quit being delusional." But, isn't that what we're here for? We're here to talk all things Hawks. Just have fun, have a beer, and relax.

OP
OP
F

farhat

Reaction score
Bennett says he wants to be paid like a top 8 player at his position. That means he wants $11 million, which is what Calais Campbell makes. Bennett currently makes $7.125 million. Getting Bennett up to $11 million would make him the 3rd highest paid player on our roster after Sherman and Lynch. He would be getting paid more than Earl Thomas and Jimmy Graham.

Bennett is insane.

drdiags

Reaction score
Here is Bennett's 2015 money http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/

Code:
Michael Bennett

Base Salary                    - $6,000,000
(Guaranteed)	                - $6,000,000	
Cap Number	                  - $8,000,000	
Pro-rated Bonus in 2015        - $2,000,000	

Dead Money                     - $12,000,000 (Pre-June 1st cut)
Dead Money                     - $8,000,000 (Post-June 1st)
Dead Money                     - $6,000,000 (Trade)

Cap Savings                     - Minus ($4,000,000) Pre-June 1st cut 
Cap Savings                     - $0 (Post-June 1st)
Cap Savings                     - $2,000,000 (Trade)

If you trade Bennett's contract the team would have $6,000,000 in dead money (accelerated bonus money) against the cap but would save $2 Mil from his projected Cap hit of $8M.

I would slow play it unless the market was heated for his services. Wait him out and if it cannot be resolved trade him by the deadline. The issue is the team picking him up will have to value him the same way he sees himself. If he left money on the table last year, he needs to fire his agent. He did a one-year deal and couldn't parlay it into the huge payday he thought. His agent mis-read the market if Bennett now thinks he would have gotten more if he were on the market today.

Next year is an easier one for the team to part ways with Bennett if he cannot get his way.

Fade

Reaction score
farhat":ckc6yt1r said:
Bennett says he wants to be paid like a top 8 player at his position. That means he wants $11 million, which is what Calais Campbell makes. Bennett currently makes $7.125 million. Getting Bennett up to $11 million would make him the 3rd highest paid player on our roster after Sherman and Lynch. He would be getting paid more than Earl Thomas and Jimmy Graham.

Bennett is insane.

I don't think he is insane in terms of thinking he is the 8 ish best 43DE in football.

He is insane thinking he can get a new contract after 1 year.

The Top APY 43DEs via OTC.

01 $16.00 Mario Williams
02 $14.81 Jason Pierre Paul (Tag)
03 $14.25 Robert Quinn
04 $12.66 Charles Johnson
05 $12.05 Chris Long
06 $11.31 Greg Hardy
07 $10.38 Junior Gallette
<--> About where Bennett wants to be paid. I can see his logic.
08 $10.00 DeMarcus Ware
09 $08.50 Jared Odrick
09 $08.50 Everson Griffin
11 $08.30 Cameron Wake
12 $08.00 Jared Allen
13 $07.87 Carlos Dunlap
14 $07.13 Michael Bennett
14 $07.13 Cliff Avril

If Michael Bennett gets lucky (which he probably won't) . They may add a couple of incentives to his contract. Which again they probably won't.

On the flip side per the new CBA it makes 0 sense to hold out of regular season games the fines are so substantial that it impossible to do so. Sure Bennett could hold out of mini camp in June taking a relatively small fine, but the fines ramp up big time after that.

Fade

Reaction score
drdiags":35mb841f said:
Here is Bennett's 2015 money http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/seattle-seahawks/

Code:
Michael Bennett

Base Salary                    - $6,000,000
(Guaranteed)	                - $6,000,000	
Cap Number	                  - $8,000,000	
Pro-rated Bonus in 2015        - $2,000,000	

Dead Money                     - $12,000,000 (Pre-June 1st cut)
Dead Money                     - $8,000,000 (Post-June 1st)
Dead Money                     - $6,000,000 (Trade)

Cap Savings                     - Minus ($4,000,000) Pre-June 1st cut 
Cap Savings                     - $0 (Post-June 1st)
Cap Savings                     - $2,000,000 (Trade)

If you trade Bennett's contract the team would have $6,000,000 in dead money (accelerated bonus money) against the cap but would save $2 Mil from his projected Cap hit of $8M.

I would slow play it unless the market was heated for his services. Wait him out and if it cannot be resolved trade him by the deadline. The issue is the team picking him up will have to value him the same way he sees himself. If he left money on the table last year, he needs to fire his agent. He did a one-year deal and couldn't parlay it into the huge payday he thought. His agent mis-read the market if Bennett now thinks he would have gotten more if he were on the market today.

Next year is an easier one for the team to part ways with Bennett if he cannot get his way.

That is why it is hard to trade players 1 year after just signing their new contract.

Just another reason the Jimmy Graham deal was so shocking. The Saints had to eat like $9 million or something crazy like that to trade him.

*edit* I just checked NO Cap and Jimmy Graham is a $9 million dead money hit.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
make an example and trade him . no body should want a new contract after one season . two seasons is understandable but one season bro.

trade em for pea nuts

My thoughts on Bennett as a player . He is a beast and he makes our defense better. His offside penalties every game are idiotic and quite possibly ruined our chance at a SB win .

Latest posts