Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/557748673208401921[/tweet]

godawg

Reaction score
11 of 12 Pats' footballs under-inflated
Updated: January 20, 2015, 11:03 PM ET
By Chris Mortensen | ESPN.com
101COMMENTS2EMAILPRINT
The New England Patriots had 11 of their 12 allotted game footballs under-inflated by 2 pounds of air (PSI) as required by NFL regulations, according to league sources either involved or familiar with the investigation of Sunday's AFC championship game when the Patriots beat the Colts 45-7 to advance to their sixth Super Bowl.

"We are not commenting at this time," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's senior vice president of communications.

Troy Vincent, the league's senior executive vice president of football operations, said earlier Tuesday that the NFL expected to wrap up its investigation in "two or three days."

Yet to be determined is what, if any, penalties may be imposed upon Patriots. One source described the league as "disappointed ... angry ... distraught," after spending considerable time on the findings earlier Tuesday.

Part of the investigation that still needs further vetting is how the 11 footballs became under-inflated. The game balls provided to each team for preparation were required to be inspected and approved by referee Walt Anderson two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff before they were returned to each team. No alteration of footballs is allowed once they are approved, under league rules and regulations.

The balls are required be inflated between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch and weigh between 14 and 15 ounces.

"We have been in complete cooperation with the league and will continue to do so," said Patriots spokesman Stacey James.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2u7f8wd2 said:
If true...Whoa. Belichick may not coach a single game in the 2015 regular season.

He shouldn't be allowed to coach in the Super Bowl... :evil: (if he's confirmed to be behind it that is)

lsheldon

Reaction score
Most they can do is take draft choices away is my understanding. Won't affect them at all this year.

dunceface

Reaction score
Well damn, now it's getting interesting...
what if any punishment could be carried out for the super bowl in our favor or would it just be off the field punishment?
I'm thinking a 20 point handicap would be fair

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
This won't affect the Super Bowl in any way except as a possible team distraction, (so in that sense it could help us, possibly) but oh man, I'm very entertained by this. I never thought much of the spygate stuff, but this takes "Belicheat" to a new level.

dunceface

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2kqbqq4s said:
This won't affect the Super Bowl in any way except as a possible team distraction, (so in that sense it could help us, possibly) but oh man, I'm very entertained by this. I never thought much of the spygate stuff, but this takes "Belicheat" to a new level.

Dang

endzorn

Reaction score
Belichick should have coached the 70s Raiders.

Bprez3

Reaction score
Wasn't the NFL threatening to throw a 15yd unsportsmanlike penalty on Marshawn for his cleats, and then throw him out of the game? Penalizing the Patriots some draft choices seems fair. Yes, the Colts would not have won the game on Sunday. However, they were not even playing with the same basic piece of equipment....the ball.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
It is amazing how they just continue to cheat year in and year out. There needs to be a penalty. One with some teeth to it. This calls upon the integrity of the game.

I think a year long suspension for Bill is in order.

2_0_6

Reaction score
If you are a QB with small Keebler Elf hands then obviously an underinflated ball helps with the grip, but both Luck & Brady are big guys with large hands. Don't really se how this would benefit strictly the Pats.

Besides, aren't the ball boys employed by the NFL and not by the team?

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
godawg":1rdh6p8j said:
11 of 12 Pats' footballs under-inflated
Updated: January 20, 2015, 11:03 PM ET
By Chris Mortensen | ESPN.com
101COMMENTS2EMAILPRINT
The New England Patriots had 11 of their 12 allotted game footballs under-inflated by 2 pounds of air (PSI) as required by NFL regulations, according to league sources either involved or familiar with the investigation of Sunday's AFC championship game when the Patriots beat the Colts 45-7 to advance to their sixth Super Bowl.

"We are not commenting at this time," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's senior vice president of communications.

Troy Vincent, the league's senior executive vice president of football operations, said earlier Tuesday that the NFL expected to wrap up its investigation in "two or three days."

Yet to be determined is what, if any, penalties may be imposed upon Patriots. One source described the league as "disappointed ... angry ... distraught," after spending considerable time on the findings earlier Tuesday.

Part of the investigation that still needs further vetting is how the 11 footballs became under-inflated. The game balls provided to each team for preparation were required to be inspected and approved by referee Walt Anderson two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff before they were returned to each team. No alteration of footballs is allowed once they are approved, under league rules and regulations.

The balls are required be inflated between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch and weigh between 14 and 15 ounces.

"We have been in complete cooperation with the league and will continue to do so," said Patriots spokesman Stacey James.

As a Seahawks fan these confirmed actions don't particularly bother me as the Patriots haven't been found guilty of cheating against us. However I firmly believe that the league should implement some harsh deterrents to discourage the possibility that the Patriots might do something to cheat against us (or any other team for that matter).

After all - who knows how many other times the Patriots have cheated and not been caught?

Most of all, if I were the Indianapolis Colts I would be screaming bloody murder. The weather was brutal in New England on Sunday and the balls would have been very slick. If I were a Colts fan I would be calling for the coach to at least be suspended immediately - after all, its not like the NFL can now just disqualify the Patriots from going to the Super Bowl for cheating (although that might be the most just thing the league could do).

After all - if a player is caught cheating such as using PEDs they get suspended from games. It could be argued that what the Patriots did here might have more of an influence on the outcome of a game than that of a player roided out to the gills.

Exittium

Reaction score
i think an immediate year long suspension for belicheat, i.e. starting this week. A fine thats only payable out of there cap, so large it screws them and loss of draft picks, and their draft picks dispersed to the teams with the worst records for the season. (or to those who went into the playoffs lol)

hawknation2015

Reaction score
So dumb . . . this guy just can't help but try to break the rules. All the people who called Carroll a "cheater," after Bruce Irvin was suspended for using adderall without a league exemption, are morons. This is true cheating because control-freak Belicheat almost certainly had knowledge that the balls were being deflated after inspection. Just like Lane Kifin did the year before he was fired by SC. Some QBs prefer softer balls because they are easier to grip and catch. And just like Kiffin, watch how fast it takes Belicheat to find a fall guy in the equipment staff to blame for "mistakenly mixing up the wrong balls."

:snack:

16727761-mmmain.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.