Your Impressions of the Offense

Scorpion05

Reaction score
We know it's early, but what does everyone think about the offense so far? First impressions?

I for one am very excited. I have always felt that the reason the offense stalled in 2018, 2019, and 2020, is because of Schotty's scheme. Today, the offense looked so much...easier? It looked in sync especially for a Week 1 game.

The offense often got out of its breaks early, with 20+ seconds left on the clock. The Colts tried playing 2 high safeties and it didn't matter. The Colts defense was able to shut down Metcalf early, but we adjusted in the 2nd half especially in the 4th quarter.

With Bevell, Russ used to be Mr. November and December. We expected the offense to pick up after week 5. I think we'll see a much more consistent offense throughout the year. Doesn't mean we will never have a bad game, but I love what I saw. Offense seemed less predictable.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Expected a lot of rust. Misses on the WR and QB. People missing assignments.

Did not see that.

Saw a few hiccups here and there but nothing like was expected.

Same size of one, but so far this is better than expected by quite a bit.

Also, liked the use of TEs more, and more intermediate throws.

Eskridge was barely used but it looks like he will be an important piece of this offense as we move forward.

Own The West

Reaction score
I loved seeing Russ take a knee or dump it rather than try to force it. :2thumbs:

kf3339

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ucjiltd said:
Expected a lot of rust. Misses on the WR and QB. People missing assignments.

Did not see that.

Saw a few hiccups here and there but nothing like was expected.

Same size of one, but so far this is better than expected by quite a bit.

Also, liked the use of TEs more, and more intermediate throws.

Eskridge was barely used but it looks like he will be an important piece of this offense as we move forward.

Agree completely. Everything went well overall. Only real issue for me was rotating the OC position between Fuller and Pocic. Make Fuller the permanent starter and keep Pocic on the bench. Only use if needed.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Surprised at how much we attacked the middle. That has been something we haven't seen very much of in the Carroll era. I really liked our usage of the TE's, and the motions we used pre-snap. Our offense looked very Sean McVay like. We used a lot of shorter passing and a more traditional WCO style of attack.

The thing that really stood out to me was the usage of screens as well. We haven't ran screens that clean since the Mike Holmgren era.

The run game I notice had more plays to the outside called we also did a lot more things under center. Very interesting offense. At times I thought I was watching the Rams rather than the Seahawks. Very similar approach in the way we were running things. I feel like Carroll was a lot more hands off.

edogg23

Reaction score
Absolutely loved it. Couldn’t have asked for more honestly.

keasley45

Reaction score
i dont think they ran a ton of 'new stuff'. they showed a few different looks and made the uptempo game part of their planning as opposed to being deployed out of necessity. Otherwise, it seemed the big plays were still out of play action? Cant say it for certain, but that's what i recall. But it wasnt an entirely new scheme.

If anything, it looked like a blend of a punishing, creative run game (old school Pete with some flair), a pass game that emphasizes the TE, and an uptempo scheme that has some wrinkles that are still being worked in.

Looks like theyre still working through it, which is to be expected and encouraging given how well they played and how solid the defense was. But it shouldnt be a surprise since you could make the argument that the only thing we were missing on offense last year was any scheme adaptation at all that we could flip to to keep defenses guessing.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
The scheme kept Russ upright. I'm not sure the o-line improved from last year, but the scheme made them look much better.

They got a little cute in trying to take the top off in the second half. Surprising absolutely no one, it did not work and they, resultantly, scored 0 points in the third quarter.

Snapping the ball before 0 seconds on the playclock, what a concept!

John63

Reaction score
Scorpion05":nzoby80s said:
We know it's early, but what does everyone think about the offense so far? First impressions?

I for one am very excited. I have always felt that the reason the offense stalled in 2018, 2019, and 2020, is because of Schotty's scheme. Today, the offense looked so much...easier? It looked in sync especially for a Week 1 game.

The offense often got out of its breaks early, with 20+ seconds left on the clock. The Colts tried playing 2 high safeties and it didn't matter. The Colts defense was able to shut down Metcalf early, but we adjusted in the 2nd half especially in the 4th quarter.

With Bevell, Russ used to be Mr. November and December. We expected the offense to pick up after week 5. I think we'll see a much more consistent offense throughout the year. Doesn't mean we will never have a bad game, but I love what I saw. Offense seemed less predictable.

I agree about Schotty for example he did not call a great game today either.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
I think the offense can be excused for not meshing yet, New OC, New Scheme, Not completely tuned in to all they're capable of...Just wait till they get it together.

John63

Reaction score
I think the biggest thing was this

Wilson came over after being sacked, PC said something about the run, OC asked Wilson what he wants to do, Wilson said pass, they will not get me twice. PC started to say something and then walked away. We passed and scored that drive. Seeign PC step away and let the OC do his job was great.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It's nice seeing the offense keep it simple and allow Wilson to throw shorter passes.

Lots of screens, shorter routes, and an effective rushing attack to keep Wilson upright.
They moved the pocket and got Russell out in space.

To elaborate on the rushing attack, it was great seeing pre snap motion, fake sweeps and getting Carson the ball besides just read option up the gut over and over.

And I suspect there will be more to this offense. Let's hope they continue to gel and work together

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Some things I noticed.

Tyler Lockett continues to jump off the screen. He is uncoverable and frequently needs to slow down to let the ball come in. He was single covered for much of the game with D.K drawing a lot of attention from coverage rolls. Damn good deep threat and "possession" receiver. Probably my favorite player on offense.

DK Metcalf was targeted for deletion and began producing when Lockett was allowed to run roughshod all over the D. His TD catch really underscored what an advantage his big body can be. I'm not sure the guy covering him was able to see the ball coming.

Carson did well, even on downs when he was against a loaded box. He's still running really hard, which is great to see. He'll get a lot of opportunities as defenses are forced to scheme for what is probably the best WR duo in the league. Ball security will be a perennial concern with this guy.

Dissly is looking like the TE we've wanted for years, a real do-it-all tough guy. He's had some freakish injuries over the years, but he can still play the game. If he puts in 14+ games this season he will be Pro Bowl bound. If he stays healthy for 15 to 16, he will be in the All Pro conversation. That stiff arm reminded me of Leonard Weaver.

ivotuk

Reaction score
John63":1njztwis said:
I think the biggest thing was this

Wilson came over after being sacked, PC said something about the run, OC asked Wilson what he wants to do, Wilson said pass, they will not get me twice. PC started to say something and then walked away. We passed and scored that drive. Seeign PC step away and let the OC do his job was great.

This is a big deal. The reason we started out so well last year was because Schotty moved to the booth, and got away from Pete. Problem with Schotty is that he's a very average OC.

I believe what Russell asked for last spring, and what he may have gotten, was less interference from Pete.

THAT is why we always broke the Huddle before with no time on the clock, Pete talking to the OC instead of letting him do his job.

Pete is showing that he is competing...by changing.

Listen & Learn Pete, Listen & Learn...

LTH

Reaction score
It was way Better than I thought it was going to be. I thought it was a very balanced offense...they ran the ball very effectively. I really thought SW schemed the receiver's well... Loved that TD pass to Everett, loved the play calls when the colts were blitzing and Wilson took advantage of the single coverage when they threw long... Loved the way SW used the TE especially Will Disley. Loved the way SW moved Everett around I think he really confused the D... for the first Game I was very impressed I dont really think it gets much better than this for a first game. There are some things to work on but for the most part I give SW and A..

LTH

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
John63":1dvvs4c6 said:
Scorpion05":1dvvs4c6 said:

Schottenheimer is not the Jags OC, the OC there is the other Seahawks OC, Bevell!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3h1xjnju said:
John63":3h1xjnju said:
Scorpion05":3h1xjnju said:

Schottenheimer is not the Jags OC, the OC there is the other Seahawks OC, Bevell!
Poor Jags.

Fade

Reaction score
It looked how I thought it would, mostly. I was very bullish on this hire and predicted Wilson would win the MVP in the next 2 years.

Lockett summarized the contrast from last year in his presser.

2 things didn't playout as I expected, though.

1) I expected more under center wide zone runs then what we saw today.

2) I was surprised they didn't go uptempo in the 3rd and end the game right there.

But they are attacking short, intermediate, and deep. They have more variation in their run game, using the backs and tightends in the pass game, scheming players open to give the QB some easy throws, a screen game, and utilizing tempo, plus more. In short they are far less predictable and harder to tell what they're doing and defend. Makes it easier on the O-Line as well.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
We saw all phases of an offense. We saw the lay ups. We saw the mid range game. We saw the 3 pointers. It gives the defense a lot to think about pre snap and post snap. Everyone ate today and it was great. Both WRs got theirs. Dee did his job and stretched the field horizontally. I do hope Penny comes back healthy because he can also add to this dimension. Everett is going to bring a lot to Wilson's game. Just easy layups and let the big TE run.

The most exciting part of the offense today was how 3rd downs went. We were constantly on schedule and had 3rd and shorts for the most part. I don't recall one time when the offense went backwards. Carson never was tackled in the backfield. There was one blown pass play when a safety came free to get to Russell. Remember they have Buckner. He can wreck games by himself. Besides one play when Buckner destroyed Pocic, he was pretty quiet the rest of the game. We threw on them. We ran on them. Good game all around.

Latest posts