You notice after one bad game..

bmorepunk

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":350yh3iq said:
Something to think about...

Patriots fans were actually booing their team during the game Sunday. Some booed as they left the field after the loss as well. They looked bad in that game but from the outside looking in, those fans are ungrateful.

That's what happens with a percentage of fans, and I knew it would with this team too once they won a Super Bowl. What percentage? Who knows. And I don't know how many of these fans would be around if there wasn't a lot of winning, etc.

You'll see people say things akin to "it's okay to set the bar at Super Bowl or the season is a complete waste". I've seen less of this with our fan base recently but since the Patriots have managed to have two championship strings (with a long gap of no SB win in the middle and then a recent run), they are super infected with it.

People get upset, and want to vent that. That's cool. It's the people who never seem to be happy at all unless it's blowouts going 19-0 through a Super Bowl win that I don't get. If you're not enjoying football, why are you watching it?

It's hard to have perspective when your team has so much success. I'm just glad when this team competes, really glad when they make the playoffs, then anything other than that is fantastic. I spent my entire childhood and young adult life watching this team be bad to mediocre every year. 21 years between a single playoff win. People completed an entire military career and retired in that span. I get wanting to have high goals, but if you can't enjoy it without things that only happen to one to four teams in a season that's disconcerting.

Once Carroll is gone this team could slip into obscurity again for 10 or 20 years. It's okay to be unhappy with some things, but if you're just salty about it all the time, you're already missing the good things now that may never happen again until you're old. Or really old.

HawkerD

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":146nd44z said:
A lot of people hate losing more then winning. A lot of people root for individuals more then the team. It is what it is.

Known as loss aversion in cognitive psychology. Very common. most people are biased in this way.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
bmorepunk":kofxoilt said:
MD5eahawks":kofxoilt said:
Something to think about...

Patriots fans were actually booing their team during the game Sunday. Some booed as they left the field after the loss as well. They looked bad in that game but from the outside looking in, those fans are ungrateful.

That's what happens with a percentage of fans, and I knew it would with this team too once they won a Super Bowl. What percentage? Who knows. And I don't know how many of these fans would be around if there wasn't a lot of winning, etc.

You'll see people say things akin to "it's okay to set the bar at Super Bowl or the season is a complete waste". I've seen less of this with our fan base recently but since the Patriots have managed to have two championship strings (with a long gap of no SB win in the middle and then a recent run), they are super infected with it.

People get upset, and want to vent that. That's cool. It's the people who never seem to be happy at all unless it's blowouts going 19-0 through a Super Bowl win that I don't get. If you're not enjoying football, why are you watching it?

It's hard to have perspective when your team has so much success. I'm just glad when this team competes, really glad when they make the playoffs, then anything other than that is fantastic. I spent my entire childhood and young adult life watching this team be bad to mediocre every year. 21 years between a single playoff win. People completed an entire military career and retired in that span. I get wanting to have high goals, but if you can't enjoy it without things that only happen to one to four teams in a season that's disconcerting.

Once Carroll is gone this team could slip into obscurity again for 10 or 20 years. It's okay to be unhappy with some things, but if you're just salty about it all the time, you're already missing the good things now that may never happen again until you're old. Or really old.

With Pete 8 appearances in 10 seasons (assuming we make it this year) beginning in 2010
Before that, 5 straight season under Holmgren in the playoffs, 2003-07

That's 13 times in the playoffs in 17 seasons. Prior to 2003, 5 appearances in 27 seasons.

Just looking at 13 in 17 makes me angry that the Hawks don't get more national pub.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, the last 15 plus years have been damn good around here. Very few if any teams other than the Pats have been able to match what the Hawks have done playoff appearance wise over that period. We won't talk about the Mora(n) season of course. But Pete and John turned this thing around quickly, and they were left with a pretty brutal roster overall at the time.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":1wxxc00l said:
All the Debbie Downers show up and flood this board. It gets so bad that I don’t even want to read posts anymore. I will not come back until we start winning again and the Negative Nancys go into hiding again. We all know who they are and when they make their whiny appearances. :lol:

It is certain comments the bother me. Like, "we lost to a better team", "we are not as good as we thought", "forget about the MVP". These are all things that you really don't know for sure till the end of the season.

Game day forum really gets bad when we are losing. How do you get through life with an all hope is lost mentality?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There does have to be a distinction made between venting and complaining though.

We have had many years of winning football. But you also have to admit, even in the winning we have had some ugly, hard to watch games.

One year, I literally quit watching the first half of games. It hardly mattered. (I watched the defense parts though).

But there were games where our QB literally had below 50 yards passing at the half. That same QB is likely going to the HOF. The frustration with us sitting on our hands made sense then...and venting sometimes helps when you see this nonsensical play rearing its head.

But...expecting a SuperBowl in order to enjoy the season? Only 2 teams go every year. How can you set a goal so lofty and expect to enjoy anything?

What I know is that this is one of the most enjoyable, most watchable seasons I can remember in at least half a decade. And I love defense + running the ball. But the stuff we were doing sometimes made Chuck Knox look like he was running the Run N Shoot in comparison. This is football where we score actual TDs. How can you not enjoy that?

And our defense is forcing turnovers, which is great to watch as well.

It has been a great ride and it still isn't over. Expecting us to go without another loss until the end of year was a bit much.

chris98251

Reaction score
We didn't adjust to the roll out by Goff giving more time and allowing all the damn receivers to hit the holes in the zone as they cleared across the field. That's what killed us over and over at all three layers of the defense.

That was the difference in how they played us the first time and the second time.

Oregon_Zagfan

Reaction score
We all knew that this year was going to be interesting. We are rebuilding our defense because on salaries and age. We have lost our best receiver to injury. Still trying to figure out if we can put forward a decent offensive line. I hate it when we lay an egg like we did last weekend. I can't even watch highlights because I don't want to relive it. If someone told me at the beginning of the season that we had would be 10-3 with a chance to win our division I would have bought all of you a drink. I have been watching them since the 70's and we are spoiled right now. Hope it lasts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

olyfan63

Reaction score
soxhawk":36r3b90w said:
Maybe everyone's secretly afraid that we'll waste these great years of opportunity? I know I am.
-snip-
Here's to hoping this team learns from Sunday and focuses on being the best. Need some players to emerge as leaders/voices on Defense aka Sherm, KAM, BOBBY, KJ, Bennett, Avril, BROWNER, and Earl. They had fire in their bellies and ice water in their veins. Still trying to figure out who has that on this year's squad.

FIFY.
I'm sure you just got tired fingers in leaving out KAM and BOBBY. KJ is IMO. I know BBrowner is a piece of shit in his off-field life after football, and including him might raise an eyebrow, but consider his leadership in the formative moments of the emerging Seahawks D setting the tone and making plays. video below...
Browner's hit on Wes Welker in the 2012 win over the Patriots
Browner's pick 6 in 2011 vs the Giants, with Eli & Co. in the red zone for a TV-scripted last-minute game-winning TD
Browner's destruction of an option play that Cam and the Panthers ran on him
Browner's de-cleating of 3 Cardinals on one punt return play
...And there are more.
Browner's pick 6 against the Giants, who wound up winning the Super Bowl that year over the Patriots stands out as a bit of a coming out party, that these were not your father's Seahawks.
[youtube]OK6vNSn_hs8[/youtube]

olyfan63

Reaction score
Tamerlane":1wnqmizm said:
Seahwkgal":1wnqmizm said:
All the Debbie Downers show up and flood this board. It gets so bad that I don’t even want to read posts anymore. I will not come back until we start winning again and the Negative Nancys go into hiding again. We all know who they are and when they make their whiny appearances. :lol:

Well said. For some perspective again, the 2019 Seahawks are:

- #4 youngest team in the league, the last time I checked, and are still in a rebuilding year;
- #2 most injured team, by missed player games (that was before Penny!); and they faced the
- #1 toughest schedule by opponent DVOA through week14.

And yet they are 10-3, a virtual lock for the playoffs, and still a solid contender for #1 seed in the NFC. You could not possibly squeeze more results from a team that almost no one saw going far. And to top it all off, because of where tthey are in their youth and rebuilding cycle, the Seahawks are absolutely loaded with draft and salary cap ammunition for the years ahead.

Thanks for the encouraging reminders. Second post of your young career here on .NET that's truly caught my eye.
I knew we were young-ish (except at LB), I knew our schedule was tough (but didn't realize #1), but I DID NOT know about the #2 most-injured team. Those reminders put things in perspective.

Maybe I've just gotten used to the Negative Nancys and Debbie Downers; I don't mind those who just need to vent a bit, and sometimes they just need a voice of reason or two to talk them down off that ledge. A good chunk of the time the doom and gloomers have interesting points to make along the way. For guys who are supposed to be thinkers, more than feelers, we're sure an emotional bunch sometimes.

But did the Hawks HAVE TO lay such an egg against the Rams??!! That did truly suck to watch such a poor performance, and seemingly very few adjustments (especially on offense), Russell playing crappy, untimely drops, etc. It sure FELT like we were EXPOSED a little bit. I really don't buy the "exposed" part; I think it was a combination of a number of factors plus a little shit for-luck on the untimely drops by normally reliable receivers.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We all vent our own way, kind of what the site is for. The negative crap gets old. But at the same time, the positive vibe probably gets old. I choose the positive, but that's just my take. Getting called a homer on a weekly basis is pretty much the norm. So? Don't care these days. Bash away. It's just a message board. I like coming here and talking sports. We all rib each other once in awhile but it's not personal imo. I come on here when I'm at work, I've never been on here any other time. But it's nice to talk Hawks during the work week.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think we'd be less negative if we had showed up at all against the Rams. It's not like we don't know their offence and yet unlike several other teams, we seem totally powerless to stop it. Most other teams have figured them out but Pete and Norton seem to be without answers.

Anyways, there will always be those people that get too high when we win and too low when we lose and seem to live off drama. I blame internet extremism. People have totally moved away from moderate views and embraced screaming on the internet.

Nothing is ever as good or bad as people make things out to be. The Seahawks are a good not great team with a great record. We have a great QB which allows us to be in every game as long as everyone around him doesn't totally crap the bed.

Can't really complain about that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, they looked tired and unprepared. Not really used to seeing that. So when people say it's not that they lost, it's HOW they lost etc. It totally makes sense and is very much true. The drops by Turner and Hollister, along w/Turner not turning head around on an easy TD are what made the game even more frustrating. They have been converting those plays for a good part of the season. You can't miss 3 big opportunities like that, especially against a dangerous team like the Rams. But, I stick to my opinion that one game can't just ruin everything they have accomplished. Or, it can't take away from the fact that they have everything right in front of them.
Now if they lose to the Panthers? Then it's full freak out mode time, and quite justified. Am I nervous about the Panthers game? Absolutely I am. I still think they win it, but I expect a good battle. Especially because McCaffrey can do it all, and the screen game kills this defense, unless they are all playing very disciplined and staying in their spots.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":227ion9v said:
Yep. As is now my practice, I stayed away till today. Even now I'm gun-shy of all the negativity, or is it the 'realists'?

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":3ku64zbe said:
We didn't adjust to the roll out by Goff giving more time and allowing all the damn receivers to hit the holes in the zone as they cleared across the field. That's what killed us over and over at all three layers of the defense.

That was the difference in how they played us the first time and the second time.

^^^^Good observation, that is what struck me as well.

onepicknick1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1jo72hb8 said:
LymonHawk":1jo72hb8 said:
It's been that way for awhile.

Yeah since sports was invented.

Here's a video of Patriots fans fighting each other after their loss to KC on Sunday.

[youtube]sSy-nDTVsfw[/youtube]

What the hell do Patriots fans have to fight about? They've been good for 20 years straight with six SB rings.

That's the nature of sports, fans complain....................which is fine. It's what makes this a cool place to come, somewhere we can vent and complain with like minded (most of the time) fans who also like to complain and discuss the team.

Sure it grates on me, especially the everyone's against us chicken littles. But overall I find most of the people on here positive and when they do complain, they're at least constructive.

No Kidding if your taking sports to this level YOU MIGHT BE A REDNECK.

Optimus25

Reaction score
A debbie downer post about debbie downers. Followed by people downing all the downers who apparantly make the forum unbearable.

You all think is just a .NET problem?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

Go check out a Cowboys forum sometime.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Here’s my take.

Resent success has lifted our expectations, with that our hope has also been raised.
This I’d say is especially true for the older fans that actually suffered through the really bad seasons.

Our expectations are(or have become) that this team peaks around this time of year.
Fact is, we’re doing much better (this season) than most predicted, that raises hope a little bit higher.

Toss a turd in the punch bowl like that Rams game?
That whittles away at our hope. We have flashbacks of being mocked as fingers are pointed our direction.
That game came NOWHERE close to any Seahawk fan’s expectations.
It’s not the loss itself but the manner that the loss came to be.
That game truly was disheartening for many, it took the wind out of some sails, and breath from some lungs.
We are as passionate as they come for a fan base, with that passion comes a huge emotional investment. For many, a late season loss of THAT nature is hard to take, we know we have no control but feel the need to place blame somewhere, it’s human nature.
For many, this (or places like this) is the only place they have to vent, for others, they simply like to stir up crap and they know that following a bad play or an emotional loss is the best time to pray on those that vulnerable.
It can be difficult but my advice is to simply not read the posts of those that tend to bother you.
Lord knows there’s plenty that do it when the see my handle above a post.
.Net has changed, it’s changed substantially in the short time I’ve been a member but it’s still the best dam football fan forum out there, and I mean for ANY team.
This place is a microcosm of life, and just like “real” life, you can’t let those that will, drag you down.

Latest posts