Wow. Things were worse than they seemed obviously.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I think it is appropriate to say Russell Wilson will never match the success of Tom Brady, on and off the field. Tom will retire, one day in the future, as the GOAT in NFL history. After ten years in the league, Russell Wilson hasn't assemble a resume anywhere close to Brady's.
Absolutely. When he has been saying the last few years that he wants to go down as the best ever all I can think is he's delusional if he thinks he his going to match Bradys' Super Bowls at this point in his career. And I am a guy who is not a big Brady and find him tiring.

But if that goal is that important to him he needs to be in a pass first O to put up the numbers, and that was not going to happen in Seattle with Pete here.

If I am going to be honest for on field success it if came down to Pete or Russ, I keep Russ. But maybe the issues went deeper than that.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I have been predicting if Bronco do not win superbowl in the next 2 years, they won't win super bowl with Wilson. Russ' acts will be in full effect after a season or two, it takes about that for his new teammates to, well, know him.

That make this season a must win for them, or at least go deep into playoffs.
Well in 2 years they will also have the same situation the Hawks did where all the young guys drafted from 2010-12 come off their rookie deals. They will have to figure out a way to keep Willams, Sutton, Jeudy, Surtain etc. Or draft well to replace them

toffee

Reaction score
Absolutely. When he has been saying the last few years that he wants to go down as the best ever all I can think is he's delusional if he thinks he his going to match Bradys' Super Bowls at this point in his career. And I am a guy who is not a big Brady and find him tiring.

But if that goal is that important to him he needs to be in a pass first O to put up the numbers, and that was not going to happen in Seattle with Pete here.

If I am going to be honest for on field success it if came down to Pete or Russ, I keep Russ. But maybe the issues went deeper than that.
Tom the GOAT Brady took his teams to conference championship games, ELEVEN times in the past 16 years, won 7 times. Wilson will NEVER catch that, BUT Wilson has been laying the seeds that he was the victim of a stupid and meddling head coach that wouldn't let him be himself.

QB

BASF

Reaction score
Total unproven conspiracy here:

Wilson openly said that he wanted 'influence' in personnel stuff, which is John's domain. I like to speculate that before Wilson went public, he has been doing it behind scenes for awhile, basically he was stepping on John for no reason at all except he wanted some of his 'buds' on the team. LOL, no one on the team wanted anything to do with him.

I am quite sure that leopard do not chance spots, Bronco with rookie team owners, who may not be as smart as Jody, yes with 'y', rookie HC, Wilson must felt like Christmas came early.
With the way Brandon Marshall and Greg Olsen talk about Wilson, you can imagine that he was the one that asked for them.

toffee

Reaction score
With the way Brandon Marshall and Greg Olsen talk about Wilson, you can imagine that he was the one that asked for them.
That was Russ putting money in their pockets, and they repaid him with saying whatever he liked to listen. How it should work.

Torc

Reaction score
I suspect he was the one who asked for Percy Harvin. And Jimmy Graham. And more recently, Shane Waldron - his 'camp' made it pretty clear that Waldron was the OC that Wilson wanted. And apparently wanted to ignore. My hunch is that the first couple of Broncos games are total honeymoon. But practice doesn't get you the 'leave the pocket and make your Oline scramble' kind of plays. When he gets pressured, he'll go right back to what has worked for him his whole career, and abandon the more advanced plays - just like he did in week 2 last year. That deep ball sure is pretty.....

Oh - I bet he DIDN'T ask for Jamal Adams.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
I wanted Pete gone when he started to sacrifice his football philosophy, other players, heck, everything to appease Russell Wilson. At the time I said Pete sold his soul to Russ, and that is behavior unbefitting of a head coach. Contrary to most here, I found Pete's team building philosophy to be sound, just that he gave all up to appease one Russell Wilson.
TRUTH

GemCity

Reaction score
Russ never got over Schneider looking for his replacement. It was pretty well documented that the Hawks liked Mahomes. Russ and his team didn't appreciate it.
Then, the following year, they looked at Allen

That was the straw that broke Team Russ's back. They'd already changed coordinators to get someone who would be harder on him. To have the team then also express interest in qbs who, if drafted, would have been expected to play sooner than later...

Russ had to get control of that narrative and dictate the terms. Everything from their forward was preemptive warfare in an effort to keep his legacy clean.

And everything since he's left has been about throwing as much shade back as he can, because I think he knows he plans to go back to the only thing that brought him success - working within a run based offense. He just wasn't going to give the Seahawks the benefit of being right about him. That's what launched the whole let Russ Cook campaign - being burned that the FO didn't see him as being the longterm answer... looking at other possibilities at the position, and needing to show that HE was the man, come hell or highwater.

Think about it. It's all calculated. His comment last week about being happy that he no longer had to carry the team... ? Paves the way for him to go back to manager Russ where he's leaning on the backfield. The exact OPPOSITE of what he himself did on the field over the last two years and was obstinate about when questioned. He refused to lean on the easy passes and run game and pushed back firmly when he was questioned about why he just didn't play things safe.

It's funny. The latest interview with Hackett quoted him talking about how the focus of their engagement with Russ in practice has been getting him to understand the intent of the plays they want to run...where his first and second reads are... interesting point of focus for a 10 year vet.

He also said they plan to feature the running game in order to extend drives, keep Russ clean and extend Russ's career.

Russ isn't dumb. I entirely expect him to fall In line behind an offense that looked alot like ours did over the last 5 games of last year, and what Pete has said he's wanted it to be for 2 years now. 50/50 run pass. Or, slightly skewed to run. It's the only way he can look like a winner in Denver. Now that he's painted his own version of events in Seattle, he'll settle down and do there what he should have and could have done here. We'll see if he's successful or not.
I haven’t agreed with a lot of your posts concerning Russ but, this was well constructed and I can imagine this very scenario happening.

Well put!

bigskydoc

Reaction score
This makes no sense at all. A lot of your petty critiques about Russ could be also applied to Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning. And I could care less about whether his public persona and private self are different. Maybe you'd prefer the authenticity of Drew Lock.

The only surprise Denver is in for is how deep they'll go in the playoffs -- and how badly the Hawks will do this year without Russ.
Including Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning in your rebuttal demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of what I said about Russ.

Especially Aaron. He may be a grumpy, spoiled brat, but he's pretty much the least "Mr. Nice Guy" among recent, succesful NFL QB's.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I appreciated Russ' work ethic and was inspired by his devotion to football early on, but when he turned into a diva after marrying Ciara, and then when he was hurt and went out at halftime going through the motions of a play as if he was the qb, I knew he was more worried about his image than anything else. It was time to move on for both sides.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You guys have to remember PR plays a big part of pro sports now, image is everything now for not only the athletes but the teams as well.

So take all this with a grain of salt, Russ has an entire wing of his team dedicated and paid to spin all this in his favor. So the team responds in like, either through the ol' "sources" media streams, or Pete himself sometimes addresses this stuff.

Again, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I was shocked when I saw Richard Sherman yell "You Suck" at #3 after intercepting a pass in practice and then disdainfully throwing away the ball. Now he is back and is volunteering to teach Tariq Woolen how to beat "Mr. Unlimited". Other veterans are also "flocking" to be in involved with the Seahawks again now that #3 is gone. The fact that #3's ex-teammates don't like him, should really speak volumes when considering his words and actions.

I am still a Pete fan, but feel like his and the managements treatment of the roster was clearly in an effort to make "Mr. Unlimited" happy. The other "Alpha Males" on the team were released or traded, leaving no-one to challenge "DangerPuss".

It seems like this season is a re-set that has been brewing since the Superb0wl loss. It should have been Marshawn...not #3. Pete made the wrong call then...but has made the right one now!

So, "Let's Ride" the Zonkos and leave them broken...Good Riddance to #3...a new day is dawning!
First time I've seen "DangerPuss". Hilarious.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
In the end Wilson will have the excuses, poor line, meddling Head Coach wouldn't allow him to cook, blah, blah, blah. Thing is Wilson did well playing in Pete's system early, but his play tapered off either because he slowed a bit, or his escape moves were figured out, or the DCs around the league learned he rarely passed over the middle of the field or short and this defending him became predictable, ie.: two high safeties, a spy, blitzing, etc.. Of course it can be argued he didn't recently get reliable run support or was not able to hold into the ball as long as he wished by reason of less than adequate, for him, OLine protection but that is a rationalization unsupported by the numbers, as he often ran into sacks, and his game had been figured out.

The real issue was contract guaranteed money, a desire to be paid top $ money, and Wilson's desire to become the MVP thus supporting his brand. The rest is spin.

He didn't move from Seattle because the team wanted to get rid of him, it was because he wanted out and to be traded, and/or for things to be done his way. The team traded him because they knew they'd not be able to came to terms with him after the prior negotiations, and they wanted to prevent his loss of value to the team. Pete tried to keep him happy but Wilson truly in my view just wasn't as great as he thought he was or bigger than the team he played with; although the dialogue from him is he was tired of carrying the team on his shoulders (pure BS in my personal view, and unworthy of guy who might have been an MVP at a point in the past).

He's a freaking Bronco and I don't like Broncos and haven't since the team began. He can "ride" all he wants but Denver fans may find themselves a tad disappointed at times. Not hating on RW as he was, until recently, a favourite player, but he's no longer a Seahawks player and forced his way out. No time for the BS surrounding his 'Brand' and his schtick anymore. Sherman was right!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I have been predicting if Bronco do not win superbowl in the next 2 years, they won't win super bowl with Wilson. Russ' acts will be in full effect after a season or two, it takes about that for his new teammates to, well, know him.

That make this season a must win for them, or at least go deep into playoffs.
Not to mention that he'll be 36 in two years.

His time is quickly dwindling.

toffee

Reaction score

We shall see on this one, Russ does invest heavily on diet and healthcare; that said, if he couldn't adopt to become more of pocket passer and less running in circles, his game efficiency will still suffer with age.

Last edited:

seatownlowdown

Reaction score

yep, he's already going downhill 📉 and he's quickly losing his 'escapibility', which is/was his greatest physical attribute.

add in that he already takes more hits than anybody. sacked 275⁉️ times since 2015. that's the highest total in that timeframe. 224 is the next highest. lol. of course he puts himself in these situations. he holds onto the ball way too long, goes off-script, sees ghosts, quick to bail the pocket, and dismisses receivers that are open early or cross mid. but hey, atleast now he'll no longer have to face aaron donald twice a season 😜 that will add some years to his life...