Wow. Things were worse than they seemed obviously.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I get it, not another RW thread. But wow.

Yes, I understand the whole 'control' thing. But, to walk away and do and say 'this' - seems like things were more strained than even I realized.

How about a little back-door respect for the team that actually picked you, and gave you a chance in the NFL?

And that's about all I got to say about that. Sorry for the 1000'th RW thread - I just thought it was telling.

keasley45

Reaction score
Russ never got over Schneider looking for his replacement. It was pretty well documented that the Hawks liked Mahomes. Russ and his team didn't appreciate it.
Then, the following year, they looked at Allen

That was the straw that broke Team Russ's back. They'd already changed coordinators to get someone who would be harder on him. To have the team then also express interest in qbs who, if drafted, would have been expected to play sooner than later...

Russ had to get control of that narrative and dictate the terms. Everything from their forward was preemptive warfare in an effort to keep his legacy clean.

And everything since he's left has been about throwing as much shade back as he can, because I think he knows he plans to go back to the only thing that brought him success - working within a run based offense. He just wasn't going to give the Seahawks the benefit of being right about him. That's what launched the whole let Russ Cook campaign - being burned that the FO didn't see him as being the longterm answer... looking at other possibilities at the position, and needing to show that HE was the man, come hell or highwater.

Think about it. It's all calculated. His comment last week about being happy that he no longer had to carry the team... ? Paves the way for him to go back to manager Russ where he's leaning on the backfield. The exact OPPOSITE of what he himself did on the field over the last two years and was obstinate about when questioned. He refused to lean on the easy passes and run game and pushed back firmly when he was questioned about why he just didn't play things safe.

It's funny. The latest interview with Hackett quoted him talking about how the focus of their engagement with Russ in practice has been getting him to understand the intent of the plays they want to run...where his first and second reads are... interesting point of focus for a 10 year vet.

He also said they plan to feature the running game in order to extend drives, keep Russ clean and extend Russ's career.

Russ isn't dumb. I entirely expect him to fall In line behind an offense that looked alot like ours did over the last 5 games of last year, and what Pete has said he's wanted it to be for 2 years now. 50/50 run pass. Or, slightly skewed to run. It's the only way he can look like a winner in Denver. Now that he's painted his own version of events in Seattle, he'll settle down and do there what he should have and could have done here. We'll see if he's successful or not.

Last edited:

Palmegranite

Reaction score
I see this as very similar to his decision to move to Wisconsin in his final year in college. He saw a coach limiting his career options(football vs baseball) and made a decision best for him. Really, just taking your career decisions into your own hands. It just so happened to work out for us Seahawks fans when he landed in Seattle.

I've switched jobs and pivoted careers many times in my life, but I don't consider myself a control freak.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Russ is a classic "Mr Nice Guy." If you've read the book, you can see right through him, and understand what that thing about him is, that annoys you about him, but you can't quite put your finger on. Even the people who like him have this small, subtle uneasy feeling about him.

It's his negotiating through the media without negotiating through the media. "Who? Me?" It's his backroom dealing while always pretending to be above it all, and morally superior to everyone else.

He puts forth this nice guy image, but underneath is manipulative, and conniving, and always trying to paint others as the source of his problems.

"Nice Guys" aren't trustworthy.

None of the rumours/ news coming out are, in any way, surprising. Denver is in for a surprise, though.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Russ is a classic "Mr Nice Guy." If you've read the book, you can see right through him, and understand what that thing about him is, that annoys you about him, but you can't quite put your finger on. Even the people who like him have this small, subtle uneasy feeling about him.

It's his negotiating through the media without negotiating through the media. "Who? Me?" It's his backroom dealing while always pretending to be above it all, and morally superior to everyone else.

He puts forth this nice guy image, but underneath is manipulative, and conniving, and always trying to paint others as the source of his problems.

None of the rumours/ news coming out are, in any way, surprising. Denver is in for a surprise, though.
More great work from the psychiatry department at the "University of Big Sky Docs!"

Tusc2000

Reaction score

This makes no sense at all. A lot of your petty critiques about Russ could be also applied to Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning. And I could care less about whether his public persona and private self are different. Maybe you'd prefer the authenticity of Drew Lock.

The only surprise Denver is in for is how deep they'll go in the playoffs -- and how badly the Hawks will do this year without Russ.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Russ never got over Schneider looking for his replacement. It was pretty well documented that the Hawks liked Mahomes. Russ and his team didn't appreciate it.

That was the straw that broke Team Russ's back. They'd already changed coordinators to get someone who would be harder on him. To have the team then also express interest in qbs who, if drafted, would have been expected to play sooner than later...

Russ had to get control of that narrative and dictate the terms. Everything from their forward was preemptive warfare in an effort to keep his legacy clean.

And everything since he's left has been about throwing as much shade back as he can, because I think he knows he plans to go back to the only thing that brought him success - working within a run based offense. He just wasn't going to give the Seahawks the benefit of being right about him. That's what launched the whole let Russ Cook campaign - being burned that the FO didn't see him as being the longterm answer... looking at other possibilities at the position, and needing to show that HE was the man, come hell or highwater.

Think about it. It's all calculated. His comment last week about being happy that he no longer had to carry the team... ? Paves the way for him to go back to manager Russ where he's leaning on the backfield. The exact OPPOSITE of what he himself did on the field over the last two years and was obstinate about when questioned. He refused to lean on the easy passes and run game and pushed back firmly when he was questioned about why he just didn't play things safe.

It's funny. The latest interview with Hackett quoted him talking about how the focus of their engagement with Russ in practice has been getting him to understand the intent of the plays they want to run...where his first and second reads are... interesting point of focus for a 10 year vet.

He also said they plan to feature the running game in order to extend drives, keep Russ clean and extend Russ's career.

Russ isn't dumb. I entirely expect him to fall In line behind an offense that looked alot like ours did over the last 5 games of last year, and what Pete has said he's wanted it to be for 2 years now. 50/50 run pass. Or, slightly skewed to run. It's the only way he can look like a winner in Denver. Now that he's painted his own version of events in Seattle, he'll settle down and do there what he should have and could have done here. We'll see if he's successful or not.
If it was the straw that broke Team Russ's back, then why did he re-sign with the Seahawks for 4 years $140M in 2019? Which was after the Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen drafts. Why didn't he demand a trade then? Of course, the Seahawks did make him the highest paid QB at that time (according to the article) so there's that.

Last edited:

chrispy

Reaction score
There are lots of elite athletes in the nfl with "disagreeable" off-field behaviors. RW3 has won a lot and will win a lot in the future. Anything/everything he's done off the turf is less offensive than DUI, domestic abuse, assault.... He's a football player that envisions himself as much, much more. That's not a knock-out personality flaw.

All that said, there's a point where a relationship is too damaged to continue. RW3 has now inserted himself in a situation where he feels that he can accept all credit for all success. So the wins will be great for him in Denver. But there's a reason they say, "Absolute power corrupts, absolutely."

I wish I felt like the Seahawks would win more games than the Broncos this season. I don't. I do feel like the Seahawks will win significantly more games over the next 5 years. If I'm being completely frank, I'm more excited about watching the Seahawks in 2022 and the Broncos in 2022. The whole thing makes for good football....

PS
I've got Good Morning Football on tv and they just ran a promo that started with a flash of RW3, wearing his jersey, in front of his monster truck before flashing to several players. The Brand is getting exactly what he wants.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
If it was the straw that broke Team Russ's back, then why did he re-sign with the Seahawks for 4 years $140M in 2019?
No Way Abandon Thread GIF

Of course, the Seahawks did make him the highest paid QB at that time (according to the article) so there's that.

toffee

Reaction score
If it was the straw that broke Team Russ's back, then why did he re-sign with the Seahawks for 4 years $140M in 2019? Which was after the Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen drafts. Why didn't he demand a trade then? Of course, the Seahawks did make him the highest paid QB at that time (according to the article) so there's that.

I was totally on Wilson bandwagon in those days, but even then I thought getting a QB to develop was essential for team success.

keasley45

Reaction score

Exactly. I think the dynamic that came to light after the trade in the presser that Pete and John did was one where John was obviously beyond tired of talking about Russ, hearing the questions about how everything transpired, dealing with the nonsense, etc. Pete on the other hand was still all regretfull and trying to paint a positive picture on the whole thing.

If i had to guess, I'd say in 2018 John began planning for a future after Russ, given what he saw of his ceiling and the financial ramifications of keeping him on. The OC was changed to try to clean things up and get Russ to improve. John started to explore options. I think Pete as he has proven to have done, lobbied to try to work through things with Russ. Afterall Shotty's first year wasn't bad. His second year was even better (Russ's extension year). But John kept looking anyway. So whatever security Russ might have felt as a result of being extended (with a no trade trade that he added...) was out the window as soon as it arrived. That was the end of 2019.
I think the next two years were him proving to himself and the world that he was great...MVP great. That's when the shift in persona happened. The GM wanted to start looking at a change, the coach didnt. And Russ used the space he gained in the disagreement to comoletely dominate the narrative. I'd wager John was pissed and Pete was beside himself and buttbhurt that the dude he bent over backwards for and went to bat for... got an extension for, just flipped on him. John would have had huge leverage to move Russ before his last extension, OR at the least, bring on his replacement. Instead he went along with a change in OC, was instead convinced (or overuled) to extend Russ, and the crap show that ensued, saw a good but of trade value disappear, and let Wilson reframe the entire conversation as one where he was wasted by a franchise and left so he could be a winner again.

It's no wonder John was pissed. The dude was passed over for GM of the year when we won the SB, and now has to have his legacy painted over by a QB he likely would have cut bate with were it not for Pete.

I'd be pissed too.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
There are lots of elite athletes in the nfl with "disagreeable" off-field behaviors. RW3 has won a lot and will win a lot in the future. Anything/everything he's done off the turf is less offensive than DUI, domestic abuse, assault.... He's a football player that envisions himself as much, much more. That's not a knock-out personality flaw.

All that said, there's a point where a relationship is too damaged to continue. RW3 has now inserted himself in a situation where he feels that he can accept all credit for all success. So the wins will be great for him in Denver. But there's a reason they say, "Absolute power corrupts, absolutely."

I wish I felt like the Seahawks would win more games than the Broncos this season. I don't. I do feel like the Seahawks will win significantly more games over the next 5 years. If I'm being completely frank, I'm more excited about watching the Seahawks in 2022 and the Broncos in 2022. The whole thing makes for good football....

PS
I've got Good Morning Football on tv and they just ran a promo that started with a flash of RW3, wearing his jersey, in front of his monster truck before flashing to several players. The Brand is getting exactly what he wants.
Exactly. The League is on the "promote Russell Wilson bandwagon" to the fullest extent.

"We have also heard reports of his family, friends, and entourage walking in and out of the Broncos’ facility and setting up shop inside." - Not being familiar with the inner workings of an NFL franchise, I have to ask, is this normal?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
THIS JUST IN: RUSS IS A DOUCHEBAG.

Seahawks fans (not russel fanboys) kind of figured that out at this point though.
YEP, it's always been about the 'ME' & NEVER the 'US' with Russell Wilson.
It's the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS, N-O-T the Seattle RUSSHAWKS.
Sorry Russell Wilson FIRST Fans, One man does not a 'TEAM' make.
Signing for that "140 Million" pretty much cash strapped / Hamstrung the Seahawks & Cap capitol, AND, having already been established (Mr. Wonderful Children's Hospital Visits) he likely thought that his rabid FANSHIP would help FORCE some concessions & get MORE control BESTOWED TO Mr. Nice Guy, because let's face it, this is a MONEY= PLAYER FAN SPORT, & Russ was counting on them helping to put pressure on the Front Office...Tom Brady showed him how he could get his way SOMEWHERE ELSE, and in the process, have his Avid Fans lay the blame on everybody EXCEPT Mr. Nice Guy...and in reading some Russ First Fans posts in here, it worked like a charm.
I don't hate Russ, but I have always had a disdain for PHONEY, no matter who is slinging it.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score

Well. That's a very interesting post. Thanks for some of the points that you made here!

chrispy

Reaction score
April 18, 2011: JS says in his presser that his philosophy for Seahawks FO will be to address the QB position every year. He says, even if we're set at QB, those guys become assets in other ways. I don't think JSs philosophy changed but, as keasley says above, JS was reigned in. Maybe it's too much to assume that's to appease RW3. Maybe not. ...and Pete kind of abandoned his Always Compete mantra too.

JS also said in that presser, that the QB position isn't something to ignore, but it's also not something to over value. ...just seems relevant to this thread...

(sorry, can't find the presser to link but re-read a few articles about it. Much of this post is from memory because it seemed practically revolutionary, borderline idiotic, not to obsess over QB with Charlie Whitehurst as the only one one the roster at that point.)

AgentDib

Reaction score
It's not like Russ is giving the Broncos a meaningful discount. The Seahawks are giving the Broncos a discount because we were on the hook for part of Russ's contract in 2022 and 2023. That's a big part of what the Broncos were buying in exchange for their draft picks. The current cap rules do create interesting situations like these where really large extensions are more feasible if the player is traded first.

For those who think this isn't mostly about money, consider that Russ was unhappy in 2019 but still re-signed when we gave him a record setting contract and a no trade clause. Much of the tension over the last couple years was because neither party thought that was likely to happen again in 2023.

toffee

Reaction score
YEP, it's always been about the 'ME' & NEVER the 'US' with Russell Wilson.
It's the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS, N-O-T the Seattle RUSSHAWKS.
Sorry Russell Wilson FIRST Fans, One man does not a 'TEAM' make.
Signing for that "140 Million" pretty much cash strapped / Hamstrung the Seahawks & Cap capitol, AND, having already been established (Mr. Wonderful Children's Hospital Visits) he likely thought that his rabid FANSHIP would help FORCE some concessions & get MORE control BESTOWED TO Mr. Nice Guy, because let's face it, this is a MONEY= PLAYER FAN SPORT, & Russ was counting on them helping to put pressure on the Front Office...Tom Brady showed him how he could get his way SOMEWHERE ELSE, and in the process, have his Avid Fans lay the blame on everybody EXCEPT Mr. Nice Guy...and in reading some Russ First Fans posts in here, it worked like a charm.
I don't hate Russ, but I have always had a disdain for PHONEY, no matter who is slinging it.
I think it is appropriate to say Russell Wilson will never match the success of Tom Brady, on and off the field. Tom will retire, one day in the future, as the GOAT in NFL history. After ten years in the league, Russell Wilson hasn't assemble a resume anywhere close to Brady's.