Overall - I thought there were some good things -

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I was kinda pissed at the outcome - but then I realized:

Geno's movin the ball. Although, he did look a bit shell-shocked at the end.
The Waldron TE heavy offense that we've been hearing about for a few years is finally actually working/installed a bit.
I will say it every. Single. Time. Dissly TD - Fing priceless!
More balance on offence.
Trusting receivers - and receivers fighting for, and winning, contested throws. Nice. DK's been fightin.

I really wish we'd go back to 4-3 - but then again I don't know what the hell I'm talking about ;) Defense is sucking right now, and we're missing Adams, got it.

Other than that - I've been saying we're a .500 team from the start of the season. Not to excuse it, but overall - I wasn't throwing shit at the TV.

It has highlighted that if you stick to the system, and spread the ball around - good things can happen. I think it further highlights just how handcuffed we were on offense for the last few years.

The loss sucks obviously - but there were SOME good things that came out of it.

Oh yea, and if you want to see the results of another QB thinkin he's too good for the 'system'. Look at the end of the 1st 1/2 today in the KC game. When Mahomes blew off his OC who wanted another play. Basically ignored him! AR had to get in between them a little. At least Geno's trying and partially succeeding!

Bring on the Lions!

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
At least Geno didn't run out of the endzone for a safety like a certain QB who may not be named in San Francisco. That was some nice comic relief.

All in all, I agree with your assessment. The run defense is not good at all. And the tackling may be a problem throughout the season. At this point I just wanna kick back and enjoy football for what it is and not get too bent out of shape about it.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, he also flat out IGNORED 20 yards of wide open field, and an open Penny in the end zone. Instead he underthrew in to triple coverage. Yep, that's Geno for you.
But, the Defense also has a LONG way to go. That all being said, it was a damn good game, regardless of the outcome. I suspect they lose a lot of close games this year. As long as they see improvement, it is what it is. And NO I AM NOT OK WITH LOSING, EVER. But I'm sure I'll be told that I am because I'm not throwing myself off a bridge.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
You see this in baseball, never in football, but maybe try platooning the QBs. Give Geno the first 3 quarters, (acknowledged that he's doing a really good job early on), then hearty handshakes, good job, hit the showers and all that, and bring in Drew L as the closer.

Fresh arm, fresh legs, fresh brain.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team can't play D well enough to win. At least they were tackling acceptably.

Geno played better and steadily but wasn't special. They still are not pushing the ball downfield so the opponent s have fiured out how to effectively stop Geno.

The team still can't run the ball. Schematically there are few stretch plays. The team needs to play Walker more than Penny as Penny isn't getting it done.

It's certainly frustrating to watch, b/c the talent appears to be there but is not being used .

5 Ws looks to be about right, as they now face a Lions team that will eat them alive.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The Lions are letting a lot of teams back in it at the end.

They should dominate us for 3 quarters but if we can keep it close, we can race back to the lead - look at the recent Vikings game.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point^
Some teams just find ways to lose. I expect it to be another close battle til the end. Detroit def. has some legit talent though and seem to be moving in the right direction. Game is a toss up imo.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I agree on the offensive side of the ball, a lot to like.

- our two young tackles look like the real deal, poised and play well 80-90% of the time. Which is a high rate for rookies.
- WR and TE corp looks great and deeper than it's been in a long time.
- RB corp is also deep and talented with the addition of Walker.

Unfortunately the defense is awful, in all three levels.

- where the hell are Burns, Brown and Jones? Weren't they suppose to be starters this season? Are we really going to go through the entire year with Jackson getting destroyed on the weekly?

- Is Taylor even on the team anymore? I can't think of a bigger disappointment on the entire team right now.

- LB corp is as thin and shaky as we've seen since before Wagner and KJ showed up.

AgentDib

Reaction score
We have two glaring issues on defense.

Crucially, our run defense has been giving up edge contain even when we're playing single high safety. Nwosu is miles ahead of Taylor but neither provides enough against the run. As Wyman discussed at length, our LBs are often caught with the wrong leverage and getting washed inside. We kept bringing a safety up into the box only to have them be non-factors against the run. Most of this is going to require different personnel next off-season to fix. Probably not salvageable in the short term but it's a game of inches and maybe we can improve from dreadful to less dreadful.

Secondly, our inexperienced secondary is not covering well enough. They're using the wrong techniques at times and sometimes just getting beat. However, if somebody told you last March that we'd be playing Michael Jackson, Tariq Woolen, Coby Bryant and Josh Jones on nearly every snap then your first question would be "who?" followed by an expectation that things would be a bit rocky. This part is less concerning to me long-term because I see good play at times that can be built on and I'm expecting them all to struggle a bit when getting thrown into the fire against NFL talent.

Fade

Reaction score
On CP's biggest run, Nwosu rushed straight up field to the QB as CP ran by him. Taylor isn't good, but Nwosu isn't playing disciplined either. They are a poorly coached unit, that looks totally unprepared. If you told me they didn't practice all week and just went from the 49ers game straight to the ATL game I'd believe you.

RiverDog

Reaction score
At least Geno didn't run out of the endzone for a safety like a certain QB who may not be named in San Francisco. That was some nice comic relief.
I couldn't believe Garoppolo did that last night. And it wasn't just one foot, he had both feet out of the end zone, and not by a little, either. And to think that during the preseason, I complained about one of our punt coverage players not knowing that he was standing in the end zone when he downed a perfectly placed punt.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
On CP's biggest run, Nwosu rushed straight up field to the QB as CP ran by him. Taylor isn't good, but Nwosu isn't playing disciplined either. They are a poorly coached unit, that looks totally unprepared. If you told me they didn't practice all week and just went from the 49ers game straight to the ATL game I'd believe you.
Well, in another post - I mentioned:

during the game last night, one of the announcers mentioned that PC 'corralled' the defense - I believe at/near halftime. The approximate quote was: "We practice things for a reason. Stop Ad-Libbing, and stick to your assignments and what you've been taught."

Says it all right there. It's a coaching problem. And, a missing Bobby problem. Bobby. Come home. We'll leave the porch light on!.

"Class - to the person who has stolen Bobby Wagner, I will shut off the lights. I expect that the guilty party will leave Bobby on my desk, and if that's the case, when I turn on the lights, no further questions will be asked".

;)

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The edge is being vacated completely when running plays happen with one focus their edge rush, and the ILBS are not filling the empty edges to seal. Their gap discipline is missing and the same guys Taylor and Nwosu are making the same mistakes again and again. perhaps they need to be sat until they can play the scheme as coached. The result is one big running play being given up after another.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The edge is being vacated completely when running plays happen with one focus their edge rush, and the ILBS are not filling the empty edges to seal. Their gap discipline is missing and the same guys Taylor and Nwosu are making the same mistakes again and again. perhaps they need to be sat until they can play the scheme as coached. The result is one big running play being given up after another.
It's damned sad too, both Taylor & Nwosu are Vets, there's no excuse for not playing their assignments, it is those guys who are supposed to set the standards for guys like Mafe to follow.
Not having guys like Bobby Wagoner in there to keep sh*t organized @ game-speed, it falls on the shoulders of the Coaches & the Vets to connect the wires for the up & comers.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I still think they nailed the draft.

I'm confident that Lucas, Cross, Bryant, Woolen, Walker, and Mafe are building blocks.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
They've got to nail the next one too, unfortunately. They're really behind in terms of defensive talent. They're going to need multiple impact players on that side of the ball, and pronto.

nanomoz

Reaction score
They've got to nail the next one too, unfortunately. They're really behind in terms of defensive talent. They're going to need multiple impact players on that side of the ball, and pronto.
No doubt. Getting Taylor to play to his talent wouldn't hurt. Nor would moving Lewis back to right guard, where he was so much better.

GemCity

Reaction score
You nailed the biggest issue…ILBs and their respective gap assignments.
Sure, they’re getting tackles. But 5 yards past the line of scrimmage isn’t acceptable.