worst seahawks of all time

firebee

Reaction score
Rick Mirer, Dan McGuire, Aaron Curry, Lamar King, Lawrence Jackson, Kelly Stouffer and I'm afraid Carpenter is going to be added to this list if he doesn't turn the corner and start playing to his potential.

hawksfan515

Reaction score
firebee":os6gjhqw said:
Rick Mirer, Dan McGuire, Aaron Curry, Lamar King, Lawrence Jackson, Kelly Stouffer and I'm afraid Carpenter is going to be added to this list if he doesn't turn the corner and start playing to his potential.

Carpenter's all good. Ever since the move to LG his play has been greatly improved.

rideaducati

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1xd32l3t said:
Throwdown":1xd32l3t said:
rideaducati":1xd32l3t said:
Just so you know, everyone that has a man crush on Tarvaris does not factor talent into the equation.

But he was never as bad as people wanted to make him out to be.

Yeah, he's not like Dan McGuire bad.... He managed to lead this team to a 7-9 record. That's not possible if you are one of the worst Seahawks ever playing QB. Even with the defense and running game we had.

I didn't say he was the worst QB ever. I said he is the worst KIND of QB. Not bad enough to get the team the first pick in the draft and not good enough to give fans any hope whatsoever.

CANHawk

Reaction score
hawksfan515":1wj26zpk said:
firebee":1wj26zpk said:

Carpenter's all good. Ever since the move to LG his play has been greatly improved.

No doubt. Carp has been playing lights out since the shift to LG. He and Okung have been one of the better left sides around. Not exactly Walt and Hutch (or even Staley and Iupati) but still pretty damn good. I have no complaints.

Lithium

Reaction score
Kelly Jennings is the worst corner ive ever seen

Giblien

Reaction score
kinesmajor":2gpff7sp said:
arghawkfan":2gpff7sp said:
A little harsh to bring up religion for Aaron Curry...he had enough shortcomings on the field aside from religion to complain about

it was his shoving his religion down everyones throat

and I am a christian too

I'm sorry, shoving his religion down people's throat? Talk about an over reaction, he's not forcing you to subscribe to his twitter feed. And last time I looked expressing someone's beliefs is not the same as forcing it on someone. Want to know what forcing your religion on someone is? Talk to someone who has left Islam and is now is under the penalty of death FROM THE KORAN!

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/Quran ... ostasy.htm

SharkHawk

Reaction score
I also agree with those who take issue with saying Curry was a bad player because he posted his beliefs on social media. What a ridiculous thing to say. The man stands for something and has the conviction to state it and stand behind it and he's blasted for that? What kind of a world are we living in, where a man is criticized as a professional football player for stating his personal beliefs on SOCIAL MEDIA? Perhaps all of us should be such losers as to stand up for something... anything and have the strength to put it out there knowing full well that some boneheads will lambaste you for doing so.

So Curry wasn't that great at football. So what? He is still a human being and had opinions and beliefs like all of us do. At least I didn't see a facebook page made by Aaron Curry talking about how everybody else sucked at something in their own life. He always seemed like a very positive guy that gave it his all. He didn't draft himself. The Seahawks did.

As far as "worst players ever", I just think this topic in general is dumb. The worst players on a team in the NFL are still in the top 1% of athletes on earth. The difference between a great player, a good player, and a bad player in the NFL is minute that it isn't even really measurable. The difference between a great receiver and a terrible receiver (by NFL standards) could be like having 20/20 vision or 20/25 vision. There is a very tiny fraction of a difference.

For those saying Pete Hunter sucked.... come on. He came out of nowhere and played at the NFL level in huge games for us. You don't think there are some guys that never saw the field in an NFL game that were worse? I've been known as a real pessimist, but this topic just seems silly. We've had the benefit of watching some of the greatest athletes ever.

Michael Bates was somebody I remember guys knocking for not living up to his potential as a football player. The man was a world class runner and was in the top ten fastest human beings ever at one point, and "fans" were knocking the guy for not being good enough. The word fickle is quite an understatement for this type of topic.

BASF

Reaction score
I guess I am the only one that remembers Terreal Bierria giving up game winning touchdowns to Shaun McDonald and Cam Cleeland in two of our three losses to the Rams, not filling his gap on the Emmitt Smith game winning touchdown against Arizona and giving up the "touchdown" to Keyshawn Johnson then being run over by Julius Jones for the game winning touchdown. That is four games that we were leading that he choked away. I will also throw in the fact that he is in prison on a murder charge for the character concerns.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Tavaris Jackson belongs nowhere near this list. Not when he was on the same roster as Charlie Whitehurst. Compared to CBJ, TJack belongs in the Ring of Honor. Had to have the least inspiring qb demeanor I've ever seen. Both on the field and on the sideline. Dude loves being a backup qb, and not having to do anything.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
MeanBlueGreen":wxrehj88 said:
Stan Gelbaugh
Stan Gelbaugh
Stan Gelbaugh

(do you pick up on the trend here?)

No way. There's no way the guy that led the comeback in one of the Seahawks most memorable victories is the worst player in franchise history.

December 1st, 1992. Kelly Stouffer is stinking up the joint and the 2-10 Seahawks are getting beat up by the Broncos. Gelbaugh comes in in the 4th quarter when we're behind 13-3 and leads us to an overtime victory. Probably the most improbable Seahawks win in their history. Stan Gelbaugh was the hero, at least for that day.

Starrman44

Reaction score
JSeahawks":29fajlzi said:
MeanBlueGreen":29fajlzi said:
Stan Gelbaugh
Stan Gelbaugh
Stan Gelbaugh

(do you pick up on the trend here?)

No way. There's no way the guy that led the comeback in one of the Seahawks most memorable victories is the worst player in franchise history.

December 1st, 1992. Kelly Stouffer is stinking up the joint and the 2-10 Seahawks are getting beat up by the Broncos. Gelbaugh comes in in the 4th quarter when we're behind 13-3 and leads us to an overtime victory. Probably the most improbable Seahawks win in their history. Stan Gelbaugh was the hero, at least for that day.

Yep that was a great game.

I know a lot of you are offering different names. If I am just being honest I would have to pick two names.

2nd biggest bust: Dan McGwire (who was 6'8" if I recall) 16th pick in the first round (again if I recall)

#1, though it pains me, because I was hoping we would get him. I must have mistaken him for Von Miller. I just don't think anybody compares with Aaron Curry. 4th pick, prior to the Rookie cap, cost a ton of money. He is horrible. He is a vacuum. I tried to see everything through rose colored glasses, and it still was ugly.

Aaron Curry is probably the one reason why I will never vehemently argue with folks regarding a player. He embarrassed me.

In conclusion, I must say I am so thankful for Pete and John. If they hadn't drafted KJ Wright (and I was angry regarding this pick because he was so far off my radar), the Curry pick would really have hurt us. They got that LB group popping quick.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1gn2wkeb said:
I will never understand the McGwire pick. I remember thinking they were crazy for that. Knox pick?? No way. Not a first rounder.

Knox let him play one drive and in that drive the Hawks ran the ball on every play until they scored and then Knox pulled him. He was terrible.

Gelbaugh was a pick machine, Kemp right with him but Salisbury goes to the top of worst Hawks on the roster.

I will never forgive Flores for letting Krieg go for the 92 season so that Kelly Stouffer could play one series and get his face busted up. It was all downhill from there.
Don't have any idea if you know this or not, but it's been mentioned here numerous times and elsewhere that Knox was all set to pick Brett Favre with the pick used on McGwire (#16 overall) but was overruled by Ken Behring I believe (anyone well versed on the whole story jump in here please). Favre lasted until the first pick in round 2 which Atlanta had. They traded him to the Packers the next offseason because they were unhappy with his partying ways IIRC. Imagine if Knox had been allowed to make that pick. Hard to say how it would've turned out considering how conservative Knox's offensive philosophy was, but it certainly would've been better than the McGwire fiasco.

For me the 2 worst all-time Hawks are McGwire and Curry because of where they were picked and how poorly both played. At least we got a decent rookie year out of Mirer (and 2 awesome picks for him when he was traded).

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Dan McGwire played with a broken hip. I haven't seen anybody mention that. Again, this is a case where he's being called a terrible player because of where he was selected. He didn't draft himself. You can throw eggs at Behring all you want for picking him. McGwire was a great college QB. I watched him play a ton, and I'm not painting myself as a superscout, but I watched both he and Dilfer play from the sidelines in college and saw very many similarities. Dilfer had a really average career, but did win a Superbowl and is remembered as a winner and a competitor.

McGwire got jerked around a lot by Knox because of his dislike for the pick (again, not McGwire's fault). He wasn't some loser that couldn't play in college. In fact he was extremely impressive. I thought he was five times the leader and QB that Jeff George was, and George was a first overall pick in the draft. McGwire had a great arm, was accurate, led receivers extremely well, seemed to have a knack for reading defenses pre-snap and making adjustments, and the one area he really lacked was mobility, but he was drafted in an era where NFL GM's and scouts weren't exactly looking for mobile QB's. They were looking for prototypes who had strong arms and quick releases, which McGwire had both.

The end of his career pretty much came in that game where he broke his hip and continued to play for a quarter, before finally being taken off the field after a pretty severe blow to the head area. I thought he had injured his head or separated his shoulder on the play. Later I found out he had actually fractured his hip and the recovery period was going to be quite long.

Saying a rookie QB who got injured was the "worst player ever" is really a double whammy. For example... Rick Mirer had a really nice rookie season. How would he be remembered if he had a career ending injury in about week 15 of his rookie year? Much differently I think. Rookie QB's, and even QB's in their first 2-3 years typically don't light it up. When you start dealing with injuries things take on a much different view. I watched the guy play. He wasn't picked simply for being Mark McGwire's brother. He was picked, because he was seen as a good QB prospect by a lot of folks out there. Yes, Knox wanted Favre. Yes, Favre was very overweight and became even more so in Atlanta and was seen as a guy with an attitude problem and perhaps problems that went even further (which then manifested themselves throughout his career, particularly his battle with drug addiction and alcoholism in Green Bay).

You never know with any player, but QB's in general seem to be hard picks.

And for those saying Gelbaugh. Come on.... he was on the worst offensive team ever and came from Europe and actually played well with no weapons around him. We had a great defense, but the offense sucked in all facets. Gelbaugh played his heart out. Gelbaugh had a good arm, played tough, and on a team like today's Seahawks we'd be happy to have a guy like Gelbaugh as a backup. Cheap, hard worker, knows the offense, and throws the ball with some velocity. Plus his teammates actually seemed to like him. I saw him beat Elway with him being the one offensive player and the defense. So it was like 22 on 12 that game, and Gelbaugh still led us to an amazing victory. That game was one of the sweetest victories ever, and I didn't care how it impacted our draft standing, because I saw how embarrassed Mr. Ed was on the sidelines after the game, and I was a happy camper. That's why you play the games. Stan will always hold a special place in my heart for his effort in a season where he was getting crushed and never once threw his linemen, or coaches, or fans, or anybody else under the bus. He just went out and played his hardest. Kudos to him. I love players like that.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SharkHawk":lri8p8gm said:
The Boz was awesome. He was one of the best LBers I've ever seen play the game. He was fast, hit hard, and shot through and smashed QB's regularly.

He had over 100 tackles and led the team in that category his first year... unfortunately it wasn't an official stat yet, so good luck finding his tackle stats. He brought more press and merchandise sales to the Seahawks than they paid the guy within the first week he was here. The majority of his contract was paid out by an insurance policy, which is standard. The insurer paid him 10 million dollars. The Seahawks deal with him was worth I believe 11 million. So they paid 1 million dollars and probably made that in Boz 44 and Boz 55 jerseys and posters in a matter of days.

I am sick and tired of people talking about what a bust the guy was. Was Steve Emtman a bust because he blew out both of his knees? I don't think so. In fact, he was one of the greatest athletes to ever play football and looked absolutely dominant before injuries ruined his career.
Calling Boz one of the WORST players in the history of a franchise is a joke. Did you watch him cross the entire field and smash the shiznit out of Mr. Elway who was doing his best to get out of bounds? I did, and it was freaking beautiful. He was the toughest mother to line up for the Hawks since Ken Easley did it with no kidneys.
Injuries do NOT equal a bad player. In fact, many times they can define just how great a man is when he overcomes those injuries and still excels and even dominates at times. Boz was one of those guys. If he had played for the Giants or Cowboys they'd still be talking about how great he was and how his career just got cut short. Instead they talk about him like he was Ryan Leaf. Sorry, but the Boz was a great player.

Ditto. One of my all-time favorite Seahawks plays is the one where Seahawks were playing AT Chicago, and Bosworth went to tackle one of Chicago's big running backs in the hole, hit him straight up, ripped the ball away, and ran 40 yards for a TD. Seattle won the game, in an upset, and Bosworth was the AFC (or NFL?) Defensive Player of the Week that week. If anyone has video or a YouTube link to that play, I'd love to see it again.

Wikipedia has this entry about Bosworth, quoting the Seahawks team doctor:
Bosworth was forced to retire after only two games in 1989, having suffered a shoulder injury in the 1988 season (Team Doctor Pierce E. Scranton Jr. stating "Brian was a twenty-five-year-old with the shoulders of a sixty-year-old. He flunked my physical").

Had his body held up, we would be talking about Bosworth more like we talk about other good Seahawks players, like Dave Brown, Jacob Green, etc. Not quite the level of reverence of the Great Kenny Easley or Cortez Kennedy, but only one notch below. Boz is a smart man, smart player, and a helluva football player who brought it every time he stepped on the field. (He is listed as #30 on the college football all-time greats list.)

Not to mention the sheer smug satisfaction of Boz's company selling 10,000 "Ban the Boz" T-Shirts to Denver Broncos fans. Priceless marketing stunt to pull on our then-hated-rival's fans!

bigcc

Reaction score
BASF":2r2i4gp4 said:
I guess I am the only one that remembers Terreal Bierria giving up game winning touchdowns to Shaun McDonald and Cam Cleeland in two of our three losses to the Rams, not filling his gap on the Emmitt Smith game winning touchdown against Arizona and giving up the "touchdown" to Keyshawn Johnson then being run over by Julius Jones for the game winning touchdown. That is four games that we were leading that he choked away. I will also throw in the fact that he is in prison on a murder charge for the character concerns.

amazing it took so long for someone to mention this.... worst football player ive seen in ANY uniform.... no joke

Latest posts