Seahawks 1st Round History of Heaven & Hell

Seahawker

Reaction score
With the Seahawks having the 5th & 20th overall picks in the draft, a retrospective.
First the phenomenal.

#4 Kenny Easley
#3 Cortez Kennedy
#6 Walter Jones
#17 Steve Hutchinson
#19 Shaun Alexander
#8 Joey Galloway

Honorable mentions: Jacob Green #10, Jeff Bryant #6, John L Williams #15, Shawn Springs #3, Russell Okung #6, Earl Thomas #14.

Now the HELL...
We began our NFL existence with #2 overall DT Steve Niehaus in 76' and #14 OT Steve August in 77', not a great start.

19' #29 LJ Collier
17' DT Malik McDowell (#35) I know a 2nd rounder but I'm including it... damn it!
09' #4 Aaron Curry
01' #9 Koren Robinson
99' #22 Lamar King
93' #2 Rick Mirer
91' #16 Dan McGwire

The Combine is almost here and 60 days until the draft, almost time to break out the luck charms.

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
No Sam Adams or Curt Warner on the heaven side? Where's Kelly Jennings for "hell" side?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seahawker

Seahawker

Reaction score
No Sam Adams or Curt Warner on the heaven side? Where's Kelly Jennings for "hell" side?
Sam Adams was solid to great, but not elite IMHO. I think you could include Warner but sadly he never really was the same after his injury. As far as Earl, its a personal judgement call. I see ET as a great player who looked elite playing in the LOB. His injury & subsequent middle finger are a big knock for me. Besides, he's only the 3rd best safety to play for the Hawks & not a HOFer IMHO.

Maulbert

Reaction score
No doubt Mirer was a terrible pick, but one in the long run which cost the team less than it should've. How Randy Mueller got Chicago to give up a #1 for him in '97 I'll never know.

NoGain

Reaction score
I think ET belongs on the top list, probably more than Joey Galloway and Shaun Alexander. I mean 3x 1st team All-Pro, 2x 2nd team All-Pro, 7x Pro-Bowler, 2010's all decade team. He was one of the very best at his position for several years. And I remember reading once that he only got beat over-the-top like 2x in like 6-7 years. His highlight reel is pretty amazing, too.

I thought he was an almost certain HOFer till he started crapping his rep after his move to Baltimore. Now I just don't know, though I personally think he should get in compared to others who have.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Earl is like the forgotten Hawk. He was amazing, and then he just went full dark mode. Never go full dark mode.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Russell Okung, despite getting rolled up on, and having that Eagles player flip him and tear his pectoral muscle, was a good player and deserves to be in the 1st list.

And while I would have preferred Fletcher Cox, Bruce Irvin was a very good round 1 pick.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sam Adams was solid to great, but not elite IMHO. I think you could include Warner but sadly he never really was the same after his injury. As far as Earl, it’s a personal judgement call. I see ET as a great player who looked elite playing in the LOB. His injury & subsequent middle finger are a big knock for me. Besides, he's only the 3rd best safety to play for the Hawks & not a HOFer IMHO.
Adams was still the #8 pick overall in the 1994 NFL draft. He also left a big void in the middle once he left. The only reason he’s only looked great and not elite is because he had a HOF in Kennedy overshadowing him. He put up stellar numbers after he left the Seahawks too.

Last edited:

getnasty

Reaction score
ET was so important to the success of that defense, definitely more deserving them SA and Gallaway IMO.