Winfield agreed in principle - 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2pmjo25i said:
Hawkscanner":2pmjo25i said:
Oh my gosh! It will almost be unfair when other teams play the Seahawks. Roger Goodell is liable to push for a new rule change that spots opponents of the Hawks an automatic 7 points. 100 Tackles ... 12 Passes Defensed ... 8 Tackles for Loss ... and one of the very best slot CB's in the NFL last year. I agree with others in saying that this just might be the move that put the Hawks over the top.
Don't give Rog any dumb ideas, he comes up with enough of them on his own.

No worries, even if he did, the Hawks would be still liable to go 14-2 / 15-1 with this stacked lineup. ;)

seatt1eslew

Reaction score
Me likey. Pipe dream: draft honey badger for competition. Eventually mathieu and lane compete for #2 corner. GO HAWKS!!

Atradees

Reaction score
Thanks for the links and info on Winfield guys. Sounds awesome. Patches a major hole for sure. Giddy.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
I thought $5million for two years would be fair so I am good with $3M for the first....

I wonder if we spend on Lattimore now as backup to bring the cap down in 2 years....

jammerhawk

Reaction score
$ 3 mil.for the year, awesome work JS!!!

Wow! We traded Flynn for Winfield and improved the team. The team also acquired 2 draft picks a 5th and and pick that is conditional.

The team is still ahead after this transaction and if they can't keep Winfield after the season is over the team is likely to acquire a comp. pick if he is lost in FA.

As a short term addition to the team, suddenly the DBs meeting room has a seriously capable mature voice in it that would have been lost after Trufant was gone. Besides Winfield has game and deserves their respect.

This is a totally awesome personnel move and the team is seriously improved. I'm jazzed!!!

ivotuk

Reaction score
fridayfrenzy":1tbvetqu said:
Nice article on Winfield and what he brings.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ornerback/

Nice link, thanks. This is from that article:

"He may have been atop the overall grade rankings among cornerbacks, but nobody at PFF will try and tell you that Antoine Winfield was the best corner in football last season.

That being said, his grade was impressive for a player of his age and, perhaps most notably of all, he graded positively across the board in every area we analyze for the position. Though he may not have been able to touch the top corners when it came to coverage alone, he still ranked inside the Top 20 in that area and teamed with it an ability that is completely unmatched by his cornerback peers — his play against the run and the short passing game."

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1gbl00ca said:
Donk70":1gbl00ca said:
Im excited as much as the next fan, but remember when the Eagles loaded up for a SB run a few years back.

Takes more than talent to win games.

That is my only major fear, we saw what a great FA they had and boy it didn't help them. Hopefully it doesn't happen to us.

We still have our Core players, our LBers, the best secondary in the NFL, we still have the best underrated DT in Mebane and bolstered the rest of the line that NEEDED it badly. I don't care what anyone says, this is NOT like the Eagles. We have players in our prime, young, play makers. Winfield is the only Vet we added. Screw the Eagles. Living in jersey I was glad to see them fall. I hate Eagle fans, and Giants fans as well. I can't wait for the Legion of Boom to come to town.

Hawkspeed

Reaction score
Last season our defense always seemed to give up critical 3rd downs. I think it was part defensive scheme (now changed) and part Marcus aging and in a different position. We now have the best nickel CB available and one of the best players in the NFL. He will be able to mentor our young players to be even better.

These off season additions have been un-believable. Who knows what the front office has in mind for the draft? We are clearly making ourselves the next Superb-Owl winners.

I am very curious about the draft. We need a WL, OL...is RT a priority?...I don't think so, BPA...how about the Honey Badger in later rounds or another big running back? I would still like a big body at DT such as Short or Jenkins. We could bundle some of our draft choices together to move up! It will be tough for a draft choice to crack this line-up.

We are badass!!!

Brithawk

Reaction score
Been reading various places about Winfield, still my 1st year of watching NFL properly so didn't know a great deal about him.

Bleacher Report rated him No.6 out of 100 CBs in 2012

Coverage
60/70

A tough, physical cornerback who locks up well in man coverage, Antoine Winfield bucks the trend of the bigger, taller player in today’s NFL. He doesn’t have the length or size to be a physical presence on the edge, but he plays tough and aggressive at the line of scrimmage.

Winfield, who failed to reach a deal with his 2012 team, the Vikings, this offseason, can play in press coverage and does a great job impacting wide receivers off the line. He’s quick enough to adjust in space and can run with players in their route tree. Bigger receivers will be able to go over the top on him, but he’s very aware and does a good job getting inside position on jump balls and uses his hands well to knock the ball out of a receiver’s hands when they’re coming back down to the ground. Winfield wins with his physical style of play.

Run Defense
15/15

A nasty run defender, Winfield attacks the ball and will fight through traffic to get to the runner. He’s slippery in space and plays with a nonstop motor when asked to come up and attack the edge.

Tackle
13/15

Winfield was close to being a top-rated tackler, but we noticed too many missed tackles to be a perfect 15. His smaller frame and limited reach made him a less-than-perfect tackler.

Overall
88/100

After a full 17 games of viewing, it was apparent that Winfield was one of the best. He had just one bad game in all of 2012; unfortunately, it was against Green Bay in the playoffs.

Browner ranked 22, Sherman 1st.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Brithawk":dk010cbp said:
Been reading various places about Winfield, still my 1st year of watching NFL properly so didn't know a great deal about him.

Bleacher Report rated him No.6 out of 100 CBs in 2012
Welcome!

If you value your brain cells, stay the hell away from Bleacher Report like it's the black plague. The occasionally have things there worth reading, but finding them is like looking for your favorite pen in a septic tank.

Just about everything represents a better place to get information. If you are a Seahawks fan, your search should always start right here.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Since a link was provided, here's a few choice nuggets from Viking-ville:

1 Seattle Punks zps32bbd972
Our ugly WHAT?!

2 poison pill war zpsc28e66e1
*worse* not "was"

3 hard not to root for them zps330d9422
Agree 100%. Very very hard not to root for.

4 Carroll zps93b398c3
LMFAO "freakin' jacked up". But it knocks me out that people still think this guy can command a locker like ours with even a hint of phony to him.
And Jets??? Really??? Snort, cough, harumph, and guffaw. Can't wait for the games.

5 Top Vikes free agent zps73a06ee0
AW was LURVED by his fans. That is very exciting.

nategreat

Reaction score
LOVE the signing! Winfield is the missing link to this defense (as well as a pass rush). I just hope Dan Quinn utilizes his abilities like they were utilized in Minnesota, and he doesn't become an afterthought. I don't think he will but..... it's half ability, and half scheme.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Given how excited we are, imagine how excited Dan Quinn is with this defense and the new additions?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This is really starting to resemble Pete's USC teams after he was 3-4 years in. Who said his recruiting skills wouldn't help him in the NFL? Lol.

Full confidence that he and JS are going to keep this monster moving.

hawk45

Reaction score
Hawkspeed":3ekzn3zp said:
Last season our defense always seemed to give up critical 3rd downs. I think it was part defensive scheme (now changed) and part Marcus aging and in a different position. We now have the best nickel CB available and one of the best players in the NFL. He will be able to mentor our young players to be even better.

These off season additions have been un-believable. Who knows what the front office has in mind for the draft? We are clearly making ourselves the next Superb-Owl winners.

I am very curious about the draft. We need a WL, OL...is RT a priority?...I don't think so, BPA...how about the Honey Badger in later rounds or another big running back? I would still like a big body at DT such as Short or Jenkins. We could bundle some of our draft choices together to move up! It will be tough for a draft choice to crack this line-up.

We are badass!!!

You totally captured my feelings Hawkspeed. The 3rd downs, the end of games, all surrendered because of lack of a decent pass rush and because of a bad nickel corner. JS has hit everything on my wish list to improve both of those situations, and I'm sure he'll draft some stud depth as well, the wizard that he is.

When you see Vikes fans saying they'll root for the guy you know he's as-billed. Cannot wait for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.