Winfield agreed in principle - 1 year

Status
Not open for further replies.

themunn

Reaction score
vonstout":kwoc3h3t said:
Rice had no locker room issues. They wanted to keep him, but not for what we paid him. We paid him waaay to much. He never makes it through 16 games. Hope that can change this year.

You may be only 2 timezones from Seattle, but surely you'd still recognise that Rice made it through 18 games this year?
I'm 8 timezones away and knew that

nategreat

Reaction score
vonstout":ycx7brlu said:
I was excited to find a Seahawk chat line. Sorry that I'm not acting like the Chicago media and crowning the Seahawks as super bowl bound without playing the games. I'm a realistic fan that tries to follow the Hawks two time zones away in the middle of Packer country but close enough to the border to have Bear fans too. I hear a lot of Vikings news as well. If you think I'm a Viking or Niners fan because I think we overpaid for Harvin and we still have a major challenge in beating the Niners, go ahead and insult me some more. I lived in Bellevue and went to Hyak junior high in 1979 and 1980. I was there when the Sonics beat the Bullets in 79. If you want to chase me away from these boards, just say the word.

Don't let anyone give you a hard time. There are a-holes everywhere who think their own opinion is all that matters, and anyone who disagrees is not a Seahawks fan. Stick around these boards, and if people give you crap, give them crap right back. But don't take it too personally, just know that there will always be people like that no matter where you go. :les:

However, I do disagree with the idea that we paid too much to get Harvin. Like many have said before, it's just like moving up in the draft. There is no way you could have drafted a person of Harvin's caliber in this draft @ the cost of what it would have taken to move up in the draft. As has been mentioned, what we paid to get him was essentially like moving up 5 or so spots in the draft to #20. That WOULD NOT have been enough to draft Harvin (if he were in the draft). He would have been arguably a top 10 pick, since he is also arguably the most dynamic, explosive, unique WR in the NFL. Plus, Harvin is still very young.

drdiags

Reaction score
The early word was the Vikings would have been lucky to get a 3rd for Harvin, since the thought was he was demanding a trade and wanted big money. But unless the NFL starts broadcasting from each team's FO you can only look at what the Vikings got. I don't think our FO is total dweebs. They have made some questionable moves but also some brilliant ones, on par with most FOs.

Is there a concern that this trade could end badly, such as the Deion Branch one? Sure it lurks in the back of the minds of those who hated the Branch trade when it happened. Count me among those that didn't like giving up a #1 then, though I always hate giving up high picks for any player. The Harvin trade will impact a few veterans and possibly some of the end of rookie contract players but this is the choice the FO made.

I just want the team to win and not mortgage the future since their rebuild plan has work pretty well. I just look forward after taking a brief moment to reflect on how the team got to where they are today. The future looks bright but is a big unknown.

I can understand if someone is surrounded by a huge majority of fans from other teams everyday. These folks follow the league as well and aren't any less aware of the NFL machine. They have an opinion, absent a strong counterpoint one could see some rationale to their points. vonstout, you can be skeptical and may have a good point but right now folks are feeling a good vibe and will reject those thoughts that throws ice water on the party. Just like our Falcon and rival fans who caution us to not plan the Superb Owl parade just yet.

vonstout

Reaction score
If he doesn't end up causing problems in the locker room like he did in Minnesota, I agree it was worth the picks. It's not like last year was the first time he blew up at the coaching staff. That's not uncommon with competitive players, but it went beyond that. To get put on IR when he was without a doubt the best WR on their team and they were still in the playoff hunt says a lot about how they felt about him. Based on talent alone, he is worth what we gave up. But there is a lot of baggage with him. If I remember correctly, he had a positive drug test at the combine and that caused him to slip in the draft. I'm excited to have him, but I was surprised the Vikes were able to get that much for him is all.

As far as Rice is concerned, unfortunately, I don't see many Hawks games. He didn't have a catch in week 17 against the Rams and had 6 games with 2 catches or less. One of those two catch games was for 2 TD though. My point is, for a cap hit of $9,700,000 this year, we need a lot more than that. That's all.

vonstout

Reaction score
drdiags":jjowyk7j said:
vonstout, you can be skeptical and may have a good point but right now folks are feeling a good vibe and will reject those thoughts that throws ice water on the party. Just like our Falcon and rival fans who caution us to not plan the Superb Owl parade just yet.

Understood. I'll let it go. Like the Easley pic.

drdiags

Reaction score
vonstout":30hwmwtm said:
drdiags":30hwmwtm said:
vonstout, you can be skeptical and may have a good point but right now folks are feeling a good vibe and will reject those thoughts that throws ice water on the party. Just like our Falcon and rival fans who caution us to not plan the Superb Owl parade just yet.

Understood. I'll let it go. Like the Easley pic.

I wouldn't say let it go. Could spur more level-headed discussions. Just don't want you to not give up on the site if a few strongly opined counter points make you want to discontinue posting here. Just think of this as a bar where we all have had a few shots. Still rational but teetering on the edge. :th2thumbs:

nategreat

Reaction score
drdiags":1j7ytw52 said:
I wouldn't say let it go. Could spur more level-headed discussions. Just don't want you to not give up on the site if a few strongly opined counter points make you want to discontinue posting here. Just think of this as a bar where we all have had a few shots. Still rational but teetering on the edge. :th2thumbs:

You used a double negative there, meaning you WANT him to give up on the site :lol:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Sorry nategreat but this is a sheep in wolves clothing. Go back and read each of his posts. This is Marvin49, I would put money on it. He is simply acting as a translator to disguise his feelings but it is obvious (at least to me) he is a 9er fan simply trying to get his jabs in and possibly instill doubt among some readers.

Call me an A-hole but every single one of his negatives can be found as bullet points on a Niner board. He is simply trying to disguise them as a concerned knowledgeable fan and you calling out people for pointing that out IMO doesn't help. You have been on this board even long enough and have witnessed massive amounts of concerned or even negative fans. That is not what this guy is and IMO pointing that out is appropriate.

Remember Jacksonfan, Marlon and a few of the others that are nowhere to be found. Remember them saying they are Seahawks fans first and are here for reasons other than Jackson and would be here even if Jackson wasn't? Well this is the new Jacksonfan. He will only be here for a short while and you will never read anything from him that is nearly as negative about the Niners as it is about the Seahawks. You can already see it in his 16 posts.

drdiags

Reaction score
nategreat":qlzlfhwq said:
drdiags":qlzlfhwq said:

You used a double negative there, meaning you WANT him to give up on the site :lol:

I stink!

BlueTalon

Reaction score
seahawksTopGear":37bwexcb said:
ErikG803":37bwexcb said:
seahawksTopGear":37bwexcb said:
Our draft position and the picks we have are bad. Really bad when compared to our direct nfc west opponents. It is likely that the Seahawks will improve less through the draft than SF, Rams, AZ.
I don't think that's fair to say when the only real reason for surmising that is because we used draft capital to get Percy Harvin. When you consider him part of the draft haul it's less likely all 3 teams blow us away in the draft.
It is not the only reason. The Seahawks had one of the worst draft capital in the NFL even with ten picks.

If you took all of the draft picks the Seahawks had and plugged them into this chart http://www.drafttek.com/tradechart.html you would end up with one of the lowest aggregate number for any team, let alone SF, Rams and AZ which actually have fairly high draft aggregate numbers.
Who gives a flying rat crap about our aggregate draft value number? (Besides you, I mean.) You realize that if we win the Super Bowl, our draft value aggregate is going to be a lot less than it will if we don't make the playoffs or have a losing season? You make it sound like that number is a reason for something, and I have no idea what you think that something is.

nategreat

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3w2z2byj said:
Sorry nategreat but this is a sheep in wolves clothing. Go back and read each of his posts. This is Marvin49, I would put money on it. He is simply acting as a translator to disguise his feelings but it is obvious (at least to me) he is a 9er fan simply trying to get his jabs in and possibly instill doubt among some readers.

Call me an A-hole but every single one of his negatives can be found as bullet points on a Niner board. He is simply trying to disguise them as a concerned knowledgeable fan and you calling out people for pointing that out IMO doesn't help. You have been on this board even long enough and have witnessed massive amounts of concerned or even negative fans. That is not what this guy is and IMO pointing that out is appropriate.

Remember Jacksonfan, Marlon and a few of the others that are nowhere to be found. Remember them saying they are Seahawks fans first and are here for reasons other than Jackson and would be here even if Jackson wasn't? Well this is the new Jacksonfan. He will only be here for a short while and you will never read anything from him that is nearly as negative about the Niners as it is about the Seahawks. You can already see it in his 16 posts.

Sorry, yeah I wasn't calling you an a-hole specifically. I just tend to give the benefit of the doubt more often than not, which maybe isn't the best thing to do. But in regards to his thoughts on Percy Harvin and what it cost to get him, it is a legitimate concern, though one I disagree with. I just noticed that people were giving him a hard time, and maybe some of it is warranted. But the fact remains, there will always be a-holes around. If he truly is a fan, or trying to be a fan, it would be nice if we didn't run him off, and were a little more understanding of his opinions. If he is a troll though, he can suck it. Suck it bigtime. :D

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Nate I fully understand your reasoning, I agree with it in that I don't like to spur away potential fans. I like the idea of having a huge fan base for the purposes of more exposure, nationally televised games and just feeling we are relevant.

Unfortunately I don't see that in this guy. I see someone who got defensive when it was pointed out that the Niners need the draft picks because their core players are alot older than ours and rebutted with Saying: they need it more than we do when they won the west and beat the same team we lost to in the playoffs doesn't make sense. I wouldn't classify SF as an old team. They have some older vets, but they have a lot of young talent too. I think this could turn into one of the biggest rivalries in the league over the next few years. I'm looking forward to it.

Everything Seahawk is either negative or a no brainer and all his comments are ones you will see on Niner boards if you read them (which I do without ever posting) added to plus style comments about the Niners and even getting defensive on their behalf.

Even if I am wrong ( I'd bet money I'm not) his is the type of input that would push other potential fans away anyway. So to me it would be no great loss.

hawk45

Reaction score
vonstout":1dbseztf said:
"The Niners have a lot of draft capital, that's great, they need it a lot more than we do because their core players are a lot older than ours. "

Saying they need it more than we do when they won the west and beat the same team we lost to in the playoffs doesn't make sense. I wouldn't classify SF as an old team. They have some older vets, but they have a lot of young talent too. I think this could turn into one of the biggest rivalries in the league over the next few years. I'm looking forward to it.

Actually it makes perfect sense. Even if the Niner core aren't in wheelchairs, there's a big difference cap-wise between having to pay a roster of talented guys well into their 2nd contracts, and a roster so young that many of its star players are still playing under their first contract.

Thus, the Niners have a greater need to do well in the draft over the next couple of years. They have a stacked roster, but are going to face some difficult cap decisions sooner and therefore the draft becomes a more important factor for them. Again, talking the next couple of years here.

This isn't diminishing the rivalry at all, nor is it assuming we're going to surge past them for a certainty, it's just pointing out fact based on the relative ages of the core players on each team.

vonstout

Reaction score
PoorAndUgley, I'm not sure why I am wasting my time to prove that I'm a Hawks fan, but here's a link to comments made when the Hawks got screwed in the superbowl:

http://www.fantasysharks.com/forum/view ... ll#p840127

vonstout is my user ID in this forum too. Is that good enough for you?

Why is it such a big deal that I think we overpaid for Harvin and that Miller/Rice are making more than they are worth? I agree that SF is a little older than we are, but Kaepernick, Crabtree, Bowman, Hunter/James, Iuputi, Anthony Davis/Aldon Smith are all young studs. That's a fact. It doesn't mean I'm a Niner fan.

Teqneek

Reaction score
How does that prove anything.... So 8 years ago you were posting on a fantasy football forum.. 8 years later you just now find the Seahawks board.. Interesting.. Either way it doesnt matter, you are either another teams fan, or completely off base and think you have extreme football knowledge because you played Fantasy Football?

Who knows who you should consider an ass from here on out.. but youve made my dumbass list.. ::shrug::

vonstout

Reaction score
Teqneek":3b5q7t8b said:
How does that prove anything....

Who knows who you should consider an ass from here on out.. but youve made my dumbass list.. ::shrug::

For what? Where have I acted like I know everything other than making a couple of observations?

The Radish

Reaction score
Well this string is being locked for several of you attacking posts and not posters.

Does no one read our rules in the FAQ Forum anymore?

:141847_bnono:

ok boys and girls, it seems we have managed to get into a pissing war between 2 factions. Normal Seahawks stuff/draft stuff with sadly predictable results. For all your information a board warning and several PMs have been issued.

If any/all of you want to continue discussion about Winfield I suggest one of you start a new string.

:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.