Wilson losing his luster.

Seahawk

Reaction score
Russell is electrifying, but he needs to have the Coaches speech about ball protection.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Seahawk":b1qs63a6 said:
Russell is electrifying, but he needs to have the Coaches speech about ball protection.

I bet the coaches can't look him in the eye long enough to have that talk lest they get a speech from him about the need for
quarterback protection.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I heard that Russell was so awful, after one sack Ansah yelled at him that he was no Russell Wilson, Bro!

PackerNation

Reaction score
Uncle Si":313tg42b said:
Certainly doesn't help things. Last night was just an exercise in futility as a fan.

I only caught part of the game but every time I saw him, he was running for his life. Even good running QB's need a pocket to throw from.

Well, I think I know where your 1st round pick next year will be spent. Maybe even #2 and #3.

But that defense with Kam back his playing lights out.

Good luck in Cincy. I'll be in Lambeau watching the Packers take on the Rams.

idahawks

Reaction score
I gonna say it out loud since no one else will. Whens he's in the pocket me misses open receivers all the time. I don't mean he throws and misses, I mean he doesn't see them. He cant see over the line. His height is a detriment he doesn't see open receivers all day long. But when he scrambles he sees the field and finds a receiver. He scrambles great, he's an accurate passer and he makes plays. He's better than 80% of the QB's out there. I'm glad he's a Seahawk and he can and will lead this team to another super bowl.

mrt144

Reaction score
idahawks":193yj3jc said:
I gonna say it out loud since no one else will. Whens he's in the pocket me misses open receivers all the time. I don't mean he throws and misses, I mean he doesn't see them. He cant see over the line. His height is a detriment he doesn't see open receivers all day long. But when he scrambles he sees the field and finds a receiver. He scrambles great, he's an accurate passer and he makes plays. He's better than 80% of the QB's out there. I'm glad he's a Seahawk and he can and will lead this team to another super bowl.

Some of this is attributable to route running and offensive line play though. It's hard to argue that his offensive line is doing anything to open throwing lanes on slants and crosses.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
idahawks":1w3zzbsd said:

Even Brady and Rodgers miss receivers.

I don't think saying Russell misses receivers is some sort of shocking news. But the flip side is he's THE best scrambling QB in the league and makes far more plays than misses them. So it's a positive trade off.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Mick063":v1k1xu3p said:
We will collectively, incrementally, grow very weary of backyard football.

Every damn time he drops back, he doesn't:
Read the defense
Go through the progression
Throw on time.

He inherently, instinctively jumps into scramble mode, never giving the play a chance to work as designed.

Feast or famine, putting all of the pressure to rescue his a$$ upon the defense, the offensive line, and the run game. Exposing the ball to be swatted away, getting sacked way more often than he should.

There will come a time, in the not too distant future, that we yearn for a conventional offense run by a conventional quarterback.

LULZ

Get a grip man.

redhawk253

Reaction score
Exittium":15ajuuxg said:
I hated seeing the wide open graham running down field on one of the plays where wilson rolls left.. if wilson would have passed it to him graham would have taken it to the house.
I dont know how you expect him to throw that ball in the midst of evading was it 3 guys that had their hands on him?

EntiatHawk

Reaction score
Wow.

I have been watching football for a very long time and if you can not appreciate how special RW is then there is a problem. He is not perfect and makes mistakes but so does everyone. Every QB even the current patron Saint of QB's Aaron Rodgers makes mistakes and misses open receivers. Go watch some film and see how often QB's miss receivers.

We as armchair QB's do not know what the progression is to know who was missed or where a certain receiver or pattern was in the progression.

I am pretty darn confident you put any other QB other than maybe Rodgers (which is doubtful he would even survive) and see if they play half as good as Russell does.

Look around the league, there is some bad oline play out there so it is not just us suffering. Problem with so many O-lines is talent coming into the league and that they do not get to play together the years it takes to really create a good O-line.

I do not know if many heard Robbie Tobeck talk about O-lines last night, but he stated that the line back then had played together for a while and had time to work things out and and muddle through their mistakes.

Last night was a definite step backwards in O-line play but Wilson play was not the main cause of it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":nvbq0opk said:
If he doesnt fumble twice, I wonder if this thread is ever dreamt up.
No.
This is just more SILLY drama.

Rocket

Reaction score
Largent80":jvev7ss7 said:
Bitching after a win is an example of losing ones luster.
You'd be surprised at my luster, Bro... I can read at night when the lights are off. :oops:

It's ok to complain that the o-line sucked.
It's ok to wanna pay the man, cuz he made it happen.
It's ok to hate Coach Bubble.
It's even ok to giggle at the call, or cry about the call's unfairness in the abstract.

Cryin' makes ya human. It also gets ya wet and makes ya red and stuffs up your damn nose.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":2dnp14k1 said:
Spin Doctor":2dnp14k1 said:
I have said this in several other threads, but Wilson absolutely needs to step up his game when it comes to presnap reads. The Lions spent all game sending corners, safeties, and linebackers off the edges. Their defense was playing aggressive, yet we were not able to punish them when they played aggressively. Wilson needs to be able to recognize the blitz, and have a hot read, or adjust the protection/ play into something more suitable to the situation. You have more guys coming at you than your line can block you are going to have issues, unless you can punish the defense when they play aggressively like that. We did not punish the Lions when they used this strategy, instead we rewarded them with stalled drives, and fumbles.

The Rams, and the Bears also employed a similar strategy against the Hawks'. I also must say that the clear weak point on this line is Britt. He played an awful, awful game and was blown up on multiple occasions both in the running, and passing games. Coleman had a dreadful game as a run blocker and pass blocker. Coleman got schooled on those edge blitzes.

Doesn't matter if Wilson sets more protection, you just stated in the second paragraph of why. We don't have a good O-line period to handle calls. Did anyone else notice when Wilson saw the edge blitz he even called protection for it, even pointed at the guy, but guess what no one picked that guy up and he got sacked. So keep blaming it all on Wilson, besides the fumbles, he had a great game and he did it all on his own. If your guy Luck turns the ball over - it's because he has to do it all on his own. Just give it a rest you will never never like Wilson, you can praise him in the future later and I will always remember that you don't like Wilson because your judgement of his personality helps contribute to it. For whatever reason you are jaded, almost like a scorn lover lol.

From ESPN Sheil Kapiada
"What's concerning about Monday night's performance is the Lions didn't have to do anything tricky to produce pressure. According to ESPN Stats & Information, five of Detroit's sacks came when it rushed four defenders or fewer. Wilson was actually good against the blitz, going 7-for-7 for 91 yards."

[urlhttp://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/182741/how-long-can-russell-wilson-make-up-for-offensive-line-deficiencies][/url]

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I agree that the line isn't that good but thats been the case for a while now.I don't know if anyone noticed on one fumble that Russ could have stepped into the pocket and ran or passed.Instead here he goes to the side where the defense knows he isn't going to step up and there is the guys who came from the edge as they have all night.A few of us have said this is a big problem and it won't go away until he learns to use the pocket.It helps him and it takes some pressure off the line when a defense knows it cannot just blitz without getting burned by doing it.This is what TB,AR and Ben do because it works.I'm not against RW but it gets fustrating to see fumbles and sacks that didn't have to happen.

erik2690

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1wxt88vw said:
I agree that the line isn't that good but thats been the case for a while now.I don't know if anyone noticed on one fumble that Russ could have stepped into the pocket and ran or passed.Instead here he goes to the side where the defense knows he isn't going to step up and there is the guys who came from the edge as they have all night.A few of us have said this is a big problem and it won't go away until he learns to use the pocket.It helps him and it takes some pressure off the line when a defense knows it cannot just blitz without getting burned by doing it.This is what TB,AR and Ben do because it works.I'm not against RW but it gets fustrating to see fumbles and sacks that didn't have to happen.

I have trouble imagining that this pocket he didn't step into was on the read option fumble, so this must be the one. That beautiful pocket, just step right up. Like I guess there is slight room up an to the left, but 2 unblocked guys I don't see avoiding the sack. Just needs to hold onto the ball there. It's a 4 man pressure and 2 are coming at him, that's craziness. Again he can't fumble here, that's on him, but the sack....yeah that's on this line.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/651467397862330368[/tweet]

IndyHawk

Reaction score
My main point is you won't see him stepping up to avoid pressure,it's always move way back or take off to the sides and sometimes it's both.

mrt144

Reaction score
IndyHawk":133d8nw3 said:
My main point is you won't see him stepping up to avoid pressure,it's always move way back or take off to the sides and sometimes it's both.

Consistency is the key though and absent the presence of a pocket to step into consistently he will never be comfortable doing so when there is one present. He is way more comfortable doing what he does and he has the ability to pull it off. If you want him to climb the pocket, hop in a time machine and tell JS to not lowball on the OL starting with Wilson's first season.