Wilson losing his luster.

razor150

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":28z0u05i said:
brimsalabim":28z0u05i said:
Willie McGuinest said that 3 /5 ths of our offensive line don't even understand the blocking system we are using. He said the D line is beating our guys from the one count. Okung and Sweezy are struggling too but a big part of that is not knowing which of the line mates to cover for. This is a historically bad offensive line and he pointed out that it has been getting progressively worse while we ignored it. Now Mike Rob did jump in and say that some of the reason Cable has so many projects starting is that we have missed on all of our draft picks for the Oline.
Gee, makes you wonder why most think Cable knows a crap. Me? I'd be happy if he were fired tonight. We need to go another direction now and not a minute later. I see Kansas City with a patchwork OL but leagues better than ours will ever be currently composed. It's gotten beyond ridiculous and injuring our skill position people.

Also, we missed on all the draft picks on oline because they are giving him the people Cable wants. We have so many projects on oline because Cable doesn't have an eye for talent, doesn't seem to give a crap about anything but run blocking, and seems content to start players before they are even ready to be on the field. I guess he figures we can just draft nother QB in the 3rd round.

Rob12

Reaction score
Mick063":32wrhju6 said:
We will collectively, incrementally, grow very weary of backyard football.

Every damn time he drops back, he doesn't:
Read the defense
Go through the progression
Throw on time.

He inherently, instinctively jumps into scramble mode, never giving the play a chance to work as designed.

Feast or famine, putting all of the pressure to rescue his a$$ upon the defense, the offensive line, and the run game. Exposing the ball to be swatted away, getting sacked way more often than he should.

There will come a time, in the not too distant future, that we yearn for a conventional offense run by a conventional quarterback.

Arguably has the most impressive resume in NFL history for a QB in the first three years of his career.

I'm embarrassed for you. I feel bad for people stuck in archaic ways of thinking.

Holy crap was that one of the worst posts I've ever read on here.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1k4gyx1y said:
MizzouHawkGal":1k4gyx1y said:
Mick063":1k4gyx1y said:

Read the defense
Throw on time.

He inherently, instinctively jumps into scramble mode, never giving the play a chance to work as designed.

Feast or famine, putting all of the pressure to rescue his a$$ upon the defense, the offensive line, and the run game. Exposing the ball to be swatted away, getting sacked way more often than he should.

There will come a time, in the not too distant future, that we yearn for a conventional offense run by a conventional quarterback.
I'm getting tired of the the troll threads. Wilson is the ONLY reason we're actually in position to win this horrible game. You better deal with it because like Rothliesburger, Wilson's whole game is backyard sandlot football. It works for Ben to the tune of two rings and a bust in Canton.

With that said...:thcoffee:

Bust in Canton? Do you mean spot?
Yep.

Rocket

Reaction score
I'm getting tired of the the troll threads.
In what way are the entire threads "troll threads"? It seems, to me, that some posters look at the whole football thing from a different perspective than some others.. If you haven't noticed, there's a boatload of differing opinions here. Some may look, to the casual observer, to be batpoo crazy and obviously someone just trying to get a rise out of people, but some are truly a statement of a valid personal opinion. Some are thought to be crap, but one girls crap is another girls diamond in the rough.
Other posts, like mine sometimes, are an attempt at being funny. I think a laugh a day keeps your colon clear. Some laugh, some don't get it. I think that makes me special, not evil, but that's just me.

In any event, I think it's presumptuous to call other people names... like trolls, just cuz their opinion differs.

Just my fiftieth of a dollar.

Rob12

Reaction score
Not only is our team underperforming, but the fan base is at a big time low right now. Many threads here now actually have me embarrassed.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I have said this in several other threads, but Wilson absolutely needs to step up his game when it comes to presnap reads. The Lions spent all game sending corners, safeties, and linebackers off the edges. Their defense was playing aggressive, yet we were not able to punish them when they played aggressively. Wilson needs to be able to recognize the blitz, and have a hot read, or adjust the protection/ play into something more suitable to the situation. You have more guys coming at you than your line can block you are going to have issues, unless you can punish the defense when they play aggressively like that. We did not punish the Lions when they used this strategy, instead we rewarded them with stalled drives, and fumbles.

The Rams, and the Bears also employed a similar strategy against the Hawks'. I also must say that the clear weak point on this line is Britt. He played an awful, awful game and was blown up on multiple occasions both in the running, and passing games. Coleman had a dreadful game as a run blocker and pass blocker. Coleman got schooled on those edge blitzes.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Rocket":1nyq1wi7 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1nyq1wi7 said:
I'm getting tired of the the troll threads.
In what way are the entire threads "troll threads"? It seems, to me, that some posters look at the whole football thing from a different perspective than some others.. If you haven't noticed, there's a boatload of differing opinions here. Some may look, to the casual observer, to be batpoo crazy and obviously someone just trying to get a rise out of people, but some are truly a statement of a valid personal opinion. Some are thought to be crap, but one girls crap is another girls diamond in the rough.
Other posts, like mine sometimes, are an attempt at being funny. I think a laugh a day keeps your colon clear. Some laugh, some don't get it. I think that makes me special, not evil, but that's just me.

In any event, I think it's presumptuous to call other people names... like trolls, just cuz their opinion differs.

Just my fiftieth of a dollar.

There are 3-4 definite RW trolls, a couple of RW defenders til death...

and than the rest try to talk about it.

I ignore the trolls and the defenders.

Rocket

Reaction score
Smellyman":1uwet65q said:
There are 3-4 definite RW trolls, a couple of RW defenders til death...
How does this make 'em "trolls"? Trolls spread discourse and intend to inflame.

The RW Defenders til Death™ ain't trolling, they're beatifying their deity... that ain't being a troll, it's being a FANatic Fan.
I blame late potty training.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
According to Google, not that I can tell. I did a picture search for "losing his luster" and the only NFL players I could find were:
#1 Tim Tebow
#2 Tim Tebow

I stopped looking after about 1000 pictures.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Mick063":ois09f4r said:

Read the defense
Throw on time.

We lose this game and are lucky to even score if Wilson wasn't doing the backyard football you describe.

The OL was arguably the worst it has ever been in the PC era tonight. I mean they protected better in the opener, and if you watched that game you'd know there was as much protection there as there is in the Antonio Cromartie or Philip Rivers household.

The fumbles I put squarely on the OL. The first one, Nowak gave him a ground ball snap and when Russell recovered he was getting manhandled by Ansah. The second one.. jailbreak blitz that no one picks up and Russ nearly escaped if not for a great play by their safety to strip the ball.

What will quickly lose its luster is seeing Wilson on IR because his OL can't block. We need to address this ASAP. Whether by bringing in Satele, a blocking TE, something. Because 4 games in, Russ is already taking a POUNDING.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Most of the QBs in the league with even close pressure are broke-up missing games or playing worse than Wilson. Most those playing better have been in the NFL 2-3 times longer and among the best historically. So no....I'm not going to ding Wilson for "omg, he holds it too long....eek!"

He does need to chat with Bevell to gameplan specifically for all blitzes. He's gonna get swamped with them (run blitz, A gap, corner, etc). Too often it seems Russell sticks to a play that has no accounting for it. In particular, late he pointed to the blitzr for the line and at the hike all the routes were long or in the flat (covered). No one went slant into the huge hole in the middle. No one even looked that way.

Dismas

Reaction score
Exittium":3e22w75n said:
I hated seeing the wide open graham running down field on one of the plays where wilson rolls left.. if wilson would have passed it to him graham would have taken it to the house.

You forgot the part where if Wilson threw that, we get dinged for ineligibles downfield.

Russ actually cocked for a second to toss to Jimmy, but pulled it back and kept running . . my suspicion is he saw his linemen downfield and made the smart choice

uncle fester

Reaction score
Mick063":3mrorn7r said:

Nope.

Sorry, but I (and many, many other on this forum) have sat through years and years of conventional offenses run by conventional quarterbacks. Roughly 35 years worth. 28 in my case. I'll take the guy who can pull a win out of his ass and leave D coordinators howling in frustration over 'convention' and knowing your team is dead in the water with 5 minutes to go.

Yes, other QBs have had their moments in the sun here. Wilson does it every week.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Tell the Lion defenders who were trying to chase him down all night that he's losing his luster. Countless times last night the camera caught their looks of frustration & exasperation.

Skookum

Reaction score
Not worried about Wilson at all. He shows an amazing amount of versatility as a QB, and all while under pressure. The O-line is the weak link in the offensive chain. They need some serious work, or this team is done for. I can't believe that we struggled so much against the Lions, and it's all because the O-line needs to defend Wilson.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
IMHO Russell did play a bit loose with the ball while running for his life. But to ignore the fact he was the reason we had ANY offensive movement is ignorant. If you actually watched the game when given time to make his play he did what he needed to. Sooooo many guys came through the line UNBLOCKED. I am not sure where the fault is here. Did Russ not make the protection call needed? Did a o-ileman miss his assignment? Did someone not block like they should have? I don't have enough football IQ to figure it out but it needs to be figured out.

And for the fire Bevell guys. It will not happen mid-season so I would figure out how to make do with what we got. Crying about it every game makes you seem like whiney children.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2pqad2fc said:
I have said this in several other threads, but Wilson absolutely needs to step up his game when it comes to presnap reads. The Lions spent all game sending corners, safeties, and linebackers off the edges. Their defense was playing aggressive, yet we were not able to punish them when they played aggressively. Wilson needs to be able to recognize the blitz, and have a hot read, or adjust the protection/ play into something more suitable to the situation. You have more guys coming at you than your line can block you are going to have issues, unless you can punish the defense when they play aggressively like that. We did not punish the Lions when they used this strategy, instead we rewarded them with stalled drives, and fumbles.

The Rams, and the Bears also employed a similar strategy against the Hawks'. I also must say that the clear weak point on this line is Britt. He played an awful, awful game and was blown up on multiple occasions both in the running, and passing games. Coleman had a dreadful game as a run blocker and pass blocker. Coleman got schooled on those edge blitzes.

Doesn't matter if Wilson sets more protection, you just stated in the second paragraph of why. We don't have a good O-line period to handle calls. Did anyone else notice when Wilson saw the edge blitz he even called protection for it, even pointed at the guy, but guess what no one picked that guy up and he got sacked. So keep blaming it all on Wilson, besides the fumbles, he had a great game and he did it all on his own. If your guy Luck turns the ball over - it's because he has to do it all on his own. Just give it a rest you will never never like Wilson, you can praise him in the future later and I will always remember that you don't like Wilson because your judgement of his personality helps contribute to it. For whatever reason you are jaded, almost like a scorn lover lol.

hawkfannj

Reaction score
Can't run around forever at some point he will get creamed. The o line ain't helping with his development IMHO. But yeah back yard luck football well is exciting but can very easily go real bad. It's call pro football for a reason. You can go watch the kids do that every Friday night all over the country if you love this kinda offence. I can't see how you would love this but to each his own. I like a pro looking team for the most part. With scripted plays that work hey everyone is doing it ? That's why they practice them I think but I don't know maybe we suck so bad at practice that we just say "hey, just run around and see what happens". We should line RW like a punt situation so he would have more space to dance cause that's all we got folks that's it it won't get better so enjoy it now cause when he gets knocked out it will get really really bad.

Latest posts