Wilson is probably the real MVP

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Yes, Jackson is having an outstanding season, but after this last game, it seems Jackson has a mighty advantage: that system is custom made for him. Take away the system and he isn't in the discussion at all.

Contrast that with Wilson. The system he is in, the play calling (in particular, early in games), hand cuffs him, and it forces him to repeatedly make miracles, like the fourth and long. I see this every time I watch him. Why is Seattle not putting him on the run more? Why are they forcing him to convert third and long after third and long with poor first and second down play calling?

You may dispute how much Wilson is handicapped by the system he is in. But I personally can't understand why they aren't throwing the ball more and moving him around earlier in the game.

Then again, maybe it's that defenses tire later in the game. I don't know. All I know is that when Seattle is forced to abandon the run game, suddenly their offense goes from average to elite. That tells me it is the quarterback driving their success.

As for the Ravens, I'm as afraid of the system as the quarterback. Yeah, it won't work without Jackson's running ability, but lots of running QBs can have at least some of the success he's having in that system. Kaepernick did, and that was a less fine tuned version of it.

So when will the Seahawks OC stop trying to follow a formula and just do what New England and Indianapolis used to do, and put the game in the QBs hands from the kick off?

chris98251

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3jrx9lkt said:
Yes, Jackson is having an outstanding season, but after this last game, it seems Jackson has a mighty advantage: that system is custom made for him. Take away the system and he isn't in the discussion at all.

Contrast that with Wilson. The system he is in, the play calling (in particular, early in games), hand cuffs him, and it forces him to repeatedly make miracles, like the fourth and long. I see this every time I watch him. Why is Seattle not putting him on the run more? Why are they forcing him to convert third and long after third and long with poor first and second down play calling?

You may dispute how much Wilson is handicapped by the system he is in. But I personally can't understand why they aren't throwing the ball more and moving him around earlier in the game.

Then again, maybe it's that defenses tire later in the game. I don't know. All I know is that when Seattle is forced to abandon the run game, suddenly their offense goes from average to elite. That tells me it is the quarterback driving their success.

As for the Ravens, I'm as afraid of the system as the quarterback. Yeah, it won't work without Jackson's running ability, but lots of running QBs can have at least some of the success he's having in that system. Kaepernick did, and that was a less fine tuned version of it.

So when will the Seahawks OC stop trying to follow a formula and just do what New England and Indianapolis used to do, and put the game in the QBs hands from the kick off?

Many of us say the same thing, let him play his game and the close score games will be far fewer and the defense can play aggressive rather then prevent soft zone most the game.

But thanks for the acknowledgement at the risk your alienating yourself from your peers.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Last night, we saw what happens when they let Wilson call the plays. But not having Carson or Penny really hurts as well.

knownone

Reaction score
The narrative that Seattle handcuffs Wilson early in games never seems to be supported by much data. Like against the 49ers, Seattle passed the ball 15 times and ran the ball 10 times in the first half. They scored 0 points. In the second half minus the final drive, Seattle ran the ball 19 times and passed the ball 13 times. They scored 21 points.

I obviously think Seattle needs to do a better job utilizing Wilson and his strengths, but I don't think he's being hamstrung by the offensive coordinator. The real problem seems to be their complete inability to protect Russ when they can't get the defense to respect the running game. That would seem to be a talent issue on the offensive line which kind of makes sense when you see guys in the backfield right after the snap. Until they fix the protection, there is really only so much you can do as OC to protect your QB without becoming predictable in the passing game.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
knownone":v4srhmkm said:
The narrative that Seattle handcuffs Wilson early in games never seems to be supported by much data.
Maybe if you don't understand what you see on the field, this may appear to be true. Our plays are ALWAYS more widely varied in the second half compared to the first.

cymatica

Reaction score
knownone":36z14p7i said:
The narrative that Seattle handcuffs Wilson early in games never seems to be supported by much data. Like against the 49ers, Seattle passed the ball 15 times and ran the ball 10 times in the first half. They scored 0 points. In the second half minus the final drive, Seattle ran the ball 19 times and passed the ball 13 times. They scored 21 points.

I obviously think Seattle needs to do a better job utilizing Wilson and his strengths, but I don't think he's being hamstrung by the offensive coordinator. The real problem seems to be their complete inability to protect Russ when they can't get the defense to respect the running game. That would seem to be a talent issue on the offensive line which kind of makes sense when you see guys in the backfield right after the snap. Until they fix the protection, there is really only so much you can do as OC to protect your QB without becoming predictable in the passing game.

What types run and pass plays makes all the difference. Simply pointing out runs vs passes means nothing in context. What are the downs and distances for those plays? Which routes were run? What type of runs against which defense? Why is it that Seattle almost always put themselves in 3rd down situations, instead of getting chunk plays on 1st and 2nd?