Wilson confirms Seahawks tried to trade him in 2018

flv2

Reaction score
If the Seahawks tried to trade Wilson for Allen then presumably this is what's being intimated?:

The Seahawks wanted Allen. They offered Wilson to the Browns for the #1 pick with which the Seahawks would pick Allen. The Browns declined and picked Mayfield.
The Seahawks offered Wilson to the Giants for the #2 pick. The Giants declined and picked Barkley.
The Seahawks offered Wilson to the Jets for the #3 pick. The Jets declined and picked Darnold.
The Seahawks tried to trade with the Browns for the #4 pick with a pick/player package excluding Wilson with a view to trading Wilson somewhere else later on. The Browns declined and picked Ward.
The Seahawks offered Wilson to the Broncos for the #5 pick. The Broncos declined and picked Chubb.
The Seahawks tried to trade with the Colts for the #6 pick with a pick/player package excluding Wilson with a view to trading Wilson somewhere else later on. The Colts declined and picked Nelson.
The Seahawks offered Wilson to the Bills for the #7 pick. The Bills declined and picked Allen.

If not the case then why not? If they did wouldn't everyone have heard about this before now?

sc85sis

Reaction score
You have far far too much confidence in Pete on that one Keasely.

Based on the past 5-7 years, it seems that an Allen under Carroll would be much much less effective. Much lower risk, a lot less throws. More of the throws on 3rd downs when the run game cannot move us the first few downs.

We surely would have been better the past 5 years, but due to our tendency to squander cap space on nobodies, not sure we would be as good as it would seem on first glance.

I was at that game where Dishman ran it back, and Reich (who I had never heard of at the time) came in for Kelly to win the game in the 2nd half. It was pretty amazing, even from the nosebleeds. Buffalo deserves a winner. That is a great football city (though an ugly city). I am happy for them.
Used to love that team, with Cornelius Bennet, Talley, Bruce Smith, and Jim Kelly was incredible to watch*. Never was a fan of Thurman Thomas but realize in hindsight that him looking for his helmet on the sidelines was probably the sign of a concussion. Thomas was a great RB though if it wasn't the SB.

* Was at Fort Drum at the time, so you got the Buffalo games when they were not blacked out. It wasn't me abandoning the Hawks, they were not available. You get stationed in NY - you watch a lot of Knicks, Bills and Giants games.
Ask Carson Palmer or Matt Leinart if they felt constrained by Pete while they were winning Heisman trophies and throwing for thousands of yards in a 12-game regular season.

GemCity

Reaction score
Allen in PCs offense? Lil bit of a waste is it not?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
So, what you're saying, is that Wilson didn't/doesn't have room for improvement?
Pete tried to help Wilson EXPAND on his game, to learn how to Speed-Read Defenses, utilize the Offensive schemes that his Offensive Coordinators were laying out, Wilson was either Unwilling or Unable to digest (tie in the play-schemes with quick-reading) And Defenses ARE getting Younger & Faster, so the ball HAS TO COME OUT A LOT QUICKER because he cannot outrun these speedsters like he used to do.
With Age, comes Sage, BUT what also comes with Age is a slowing down.
Brady & hell, even Rodgers has shown that you can use your tools + experience (time in the trenches) to your advantage...I'm not saying that Wilson doesn't give it his ALL when he plays, just that for some reason, he doesn't, or can't use all those same tools to his advantage.
He doesn't or can't use those same tools to his advantage because we are a run-first time who had a QB who is accurate and good enough to throw it more than we want to. You've basically given a race car driver a station wagon and asked him to be a safe driver in hopes everyone else crashes and burns around you when he actually has the tools to drive an actual race car. Lets not forget he also had 3 offensive coordinators his last 4 seasons. Something was not working and it will likely continue to not work this season.

"improvement" isn't being a good soldier and handing the ball off when your running game isn't working, either.

TraderGary

Reaction score
OK, I don't have an insider info or evidence, but I think John Schneider was the one doing all the look see, and ready to pull the trigger. Pete wasn't onboard with this approach, he was playing it safe, try to ride Russ to more rings.

With that speculation, I often wonder if Pete/John power structure experienced any changes in the past months? Could Jody make some changes? Our drafting in 2022 has a different approach?
Yes, I absolutely believe the power structure has changed when it comes to personnel decisions/acquisitions. After the season ended last year and Jody met with both Pete and JS, I thought there were some reports or at least rumors that Jody had ripped some of the power from PC, and JS was given more power over personnel decisions including the draft, which frankly is the way it should have been from the start.

And based on the most recent draft, I think a solid argument could be made that this draft was primarily John's. We didn't reach on any of our picks as we've typically done in the past, and ended up having I believe one of our best drafts since JS and PC took over. I personally believe the poor drafts of the past 7 or 8 years were primarily on Pete who's always had veto power over any personnel decisions.

I don't have anything concrete to support my opinion/theory other than a stark and obvious difference in draft strategy.

TraderGary

Reaction score
He doesn't or can't use those same tools to his advantage because we are a run-first time who had a QB who is accurate and good enough to throw it more than we want to. You've basically given a race car driver a station wagon and asked him to be a safe driver in hopes everyone else crashes and burns around you when he actually has the tools to drive an actual race car. Lets not forget he also had 3 offensive coordinators his last 4 seasons. Something was not working and it will likely continue to not work this season.

"improvement" isn't being a good soldier and handing the ball off when your running game isn't working, either.
Solid analogy.

GemCity

Reaction score
Yeah what QB would want to be in the top 5 in every meaningful QB stat category for a decade, go to the playoffs 80% of the time, win SB's and put on a gold jacket at the end of his career.

WHAT A WASTE!!

View attachment 54415
2018 isn’t 2015 spanky. Top 5 in passing attempts too?
You don’t think Allen is going to get one in Buffalo?
Also, I think you added an unwarranted ‘s to SB.
Josh Allen is phenomenal but, Pete’s not going to budge…

Last edited:

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
So Russ answering the question when it was asked at a press conference and saying that it is part of the business is him trying to play the victim? Yeah.....sounds about right.
imagine... coming to our forums after you just signed a player that had been with us for 10 years... and thinking you somehow know the player and situation better than this fanbase.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
imagine... coming to our forums after you just signed a player that had been with us for 10 years... and thinking you somehow know the player and situation better than this fanbase.

View attachment 54416

do yourself a favor... before you post, READ. that's it. read. there's countless threads and posts documenting wilson's behavior on these forums. posting without knowing his history is ignorant. read. doing anything less before you post is ignorant behavior.
:) Be kind and welcoming to our guests, for he/she is innocent :)

scutterhawk

Reaction score
OK, I don't have an insider info or evidence, but I think John Schneider was the one doing all the look see, and ready to pull the trigger. Pete wasn't onboard with this approach, he was playing it safe, try to ride Russ to more rings.

With that speculation, I often wonder if Pete/John power structure experienced any changes in the past months? Could Jody make some changes? Our drafting in 2022 has a different approach?
I believe Pete came around to John's way of thinking when the "Let Russ Cook" crap started dominating the conversations, I distinctly recall sarcastically retorting in one of his Press Conferences on the fact that he DID let Wilson TRY and "Cook" his way through a rough patch, and $#iT got burnt.
I also remember the 'I Told You So' look that Pete gave to Russ when Penny was kicking ass last season.
MOST OF THE TIME->Pete went to bat/stuck up for Wilson, and it came back to bite him on the a$$, because Poor Russ couldn't supply the fireworks because Ol' Pete was holding him back and keeping him from getting that elusive & coveted MVP that he wanted so badly.
>>>>>Wilson was NOT Pete's victim, his inability to speed-read Defenses WAS his 'Demon' & his "Achilles-Heel"<<<<<

GemCity

Reaction score
How do you figure? Seems like a pretty harmonious fit.
I think Josh Allen could fit on every team in the league.

I don’t think there’s a single team in the league that wouldn’t sell the farm to get him if they could.

But in 2018 until where we are now, he’s in a much better place than he would be as a Seahawk.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Did you not watch the game last night? 90% of Allen's throws were under 5-6 yards, he absolutely carved up the Ram's soft underneath zone defense. THEN he took a couple shots downfield in the 2nd half with great success.

Sound familiar?

Allen is exactly a Carroll type of QB, elusive, tough, smart, and accurate.
Not to mention using Allen's wheels too, like he did with Wilson.

Also quite familiar.

Last edited:

Vesuve

Reaction score

This is why I'm skeptical of the attempt to trade RW for Josh Allen or Mahomes.

JA and Mahomes would have operated very differently under Pete.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
People are not being realistic on the Allen thing.
Nobody remembers Matt vs Dilfer? 1/2 the fan base was screaming for one, then another for the other.
You honestly believe that in that 1st year or 2 when Allen was struggling with accuracy issues - the fanbase would not be freaking out that we traded a HOF QB for a rookie that was struggling when most of our roster was fairly strong?

People would have lost their minds.

Allen was great last night. He flashed greatness even a few years ago. But 3-4 years ago, people would be very upset...because we would look like a solid roster with a struggling QB that could have been competing for the playoffs if only we had kept Wilson.

Our fan base is not that patient. Watch what happens to it if Pete starts losing. If Pete/JS had traded away our star QB and suddenly we started to struggle, even miss the playoffs?
People would abandon this team in droves.

toffee

Reaction score
Nobody remembers Matt vs Dilfer? 1/2 the fan base was screaming for one, then another for the other.
You honestly believe that in that 1st year or 2 when Allen was struggling with accuracy issues - the fanbase would not be freaking out that we traded a HOF QB for a rookie that was struggling when most of our roster was fairly strong?

Allen was great last night. He flashed greatness even a few years ago. But 3-4 years ago, people would be very upset...because we would look like a solid roster with a struggling QB that could have been competing for the playoffs if only we had kept Wilson.

Our fan base is not that patient. Watch what happens to it if Pete starts losing. If Pete/JS had traded away our star QB and suddenly we started to struggle, even miss the playoffs?
I agree with you Twisted, if Pete would to trade Russ back then. 12s will not have it, Russ was at his peak popularity wise, then Allen or Mahome had to go though the learning process and struggle some. 12s will be asking Pete's head. I know that I would

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Damn. Wish we would’ve traded him for Allen early on lol

Lagartixa

Reaction score

There's a good point here. I had actually written a response to an earlier post in this thread, but I hadn't posted it. Here it is:
It's 2022. This trade was talked about in 2018. You want to trade RW in 2018, who just came off 38 TDs and 11 INT and almost 4000 yards passing for a rookie QB from Wyoming?
...who was really bad his first season (33rd in DVOA among QBs with enough passing attempts to qualify) and still pretty bad his second season (28th in DVOA).
And a lot of people thought the Bills had made a mistake, and that Allen wasn't going to become a good QB, until the 2020 season happened. But even after that, his step back to the middle of the pack in the 2021 regular season had a lot of people calling Allen's 2020 a fluke.

===== Now some more comments in the context of @TwistedHusky's post.

The Seahawks weren't going to get 2020 Josh Allen or first-game-of-2022 Josh Allen in 2018. They would have gotten the bad passer Allen was for the first two seasons of his career and tried to develop him into the player he appears to be now. And I agree with @TwistedHusky that the overwhelming majority of Seahawks fans would have been furious that the Seahawks traded away a proven very-good QB (not even close to being a "generational talent" like some Wilson fans here claim, but a top-third-of-the-league QB in a league with historically high QB performance) for a bad passer, and the calls for the heads of Schneider, Carroll, and the rest of the front office and coaching staff would have been loud and constant.

For the suggested strategy of trading away Wilson and drafting Allen to have succeeded, the Seahawks would have had to kick a lot of ass in the trade, maybe getting some solid veteran (but not-yet-old!) contributors and definitely getting a huge haul of draft capital, plus turning that capital into a bunch of young players who could contribute to team success, and they'd have had to develop Allen at least close to as well as the Bills appear to have done. I have a much-more-positive opinion of Schneider and especially Carroll than @TwistedHusky does, but I'm very far from certain they could have done all that.

Latest posts