ESPN piece on Seahawks Wilson breakup

W

Welshers

I'm pretty convinced at this point that there are members of the Seahawks fanbase that firmly believe that Tim Tebow could have won them 2+ SBs by now with Marshawn and the LoB, and that Russ is nothing more than Tim Tebow with a ring.
Tebow would have won at least 1 sb here, yes

GemCity

Reaction score
We’ll, we’ll certainly find out here soon.

There’s a non-objective W/L ratio that we’ll get to see for the next several seasons.

All the stories, media, rumors, etc..,it won’t matter. It’s about wins and losses.

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
So, you sir or ma'am, are putting Tim Tebow on the same level as Sanchez, JimmyG, and Flacco? These three may not have a tools to be top QB, but they are very very good,.

Well...if those three are nicknamed ButtFumble, Statue of JimmyG (as mobile as the Statue of Liberty, I heard that once haha), and Fluke-O, there's probably a reason for that. Guys like that are good enough to get you to maybe .500, but to get beyond that, they're going to need an impressive supporting cast to cover up the flaws...that, or their competition just can't get out of their own way.

I'm more saying the way that some have downplayed Russ' accomplishments since his departure, it makes for interesting arguments that, was the Seahawks' success during the Wilson era in part due to his contributions, or was Russ just being perpetually carried by Lynch, the LoB, and Baldwin all this time? And were the Seahawks so stacked during that stretch, that plugging literally any QB in the NFL (starting caliber or otherwise) would have won them at least 2 SBs, including Tim Tebow, and that maybe Russ is just among the most overrated QBs in NFL history?

Or perhaps all that sentiment is just sour grapes that people feel he went back on his word to be a Seahawk for life, and this is just that opportunity for folks to be angry about a guy getting another job somewhere else, and the FO not having the foresight to have a contingency plan for replacing Russ not named tanking.

P.S. Sir is just fine. :p

Lagartixa

Reaction score
This will require quite a long answer, but I will keep it as short and to the point as I can.

Simply the Broncos have drafted better, signed better free agents, made better trades than the Seahawks since 2015, save for the QB. Which are hard AF to find.

They took a lot of criticism in 2021 for not drafting a QB, and instead remained patient taking stud CB, Patrick Surtain.

George Paton would later earn the Best Draft Award as voted by NFL front offices for this draft class. (Not mediots.)

I point out this particular move of many great moves made because of the context. Denver had been QB starved for 6 seasons at that point. 5 QBs went in the 1st round that year. But they evaluated (like I evaluated and stated at various points leading up to that draft) that it was an overrated QB class and those guys were being pushed up the board, George Paton stayed with his process and drafted the right player. Regardless if they had a desperate need at QB. That is good management.

Let's see the Seahawks pass on QB next year, if none of them are the right fit after just 1 season of not having a QB. You know and I know, they're drafting a QB in the 1st round come hell or highwater next year, and it illustrates how behind the Seahawks seem to be at every turn. Like a dog chasing firetrucks they are hyper-focused on need.

Drew Lock filled their QB need this year believe it or not. Pete stated he would be the 1st QB on their board in this year's draft. JS is now on the record in this very article that he wanted to do the deal with Denver because he wanted Drew Lock.

The notorious LJ Collier Draft. Where they watched defensive ends come off the board one after the other, and still took LJ Collier with their first selection because that was their need.

They then spend a 2nd on Marquis Blair. and a year later trade two 1sts, and a 3rd for Jamal Adams, and making him the highest paid safety in the game.

You get the point, the poor moves are well documented at this point, no need to rehash them for the sake of brevity.

Next up ownership. Jodi with an "i" made Pete the King of the Seahawks. He is not questioned, nor held accountable. Paul used to do this, and I wholly believe if Paul were alive and well, Pete, would've been canned a long time ago.

Pete can screw up all he wants. He can be arrogant and continue to run dated schemes that haven't worked for years. (He admitted this this off-season.) He can do whatever including run the team into the ground, and it is never his fault, always someone elses, even though he signs off on everything, and holds final say on anything football related. So technically anything wrong or right with the Seahawks falls at the feet of Pete Carroll. It's been mostly wrong for a long time.

Jodi with an "i" seems to be pinching pennies, though admittedly need more seasons to confirm this. But since Paul has died they've had a tons of cap space to make huge moves in 2020 and 2022, and instead chose to blow it on JAGs.

They blew $60M on JAGS in 2020, and then turned around and mortgaged the farm for Jamal Adams right before the season, claiming they needed more star power. (Pete then on record admitted that they were still trying to figure out how to use him early in the 2021 season. As a baffling side note.)

Could've gotten the stars with the cap space instead of mortgaging the farm and kept those draft picks. But it requires an owner willing to pony up and put large amounts of money into escrow. Using cash over cap. Jodi with an "i" is yet to do this and it is putting the Seahawks at disadvantage because of it.

Denver now has the richest owner in the NFL, and will utilize this cash over cap strategy to their advantage. having structured Wilson's contract in a way that is going to allow them to be aggressive in Free Agency in the coming years and have a loaded team year in and year out. Copying what the Rams have been doing.

Here's a vid on cash over cap for those unaware what it is:

Having such a passive owner, and a geriatric Coach/Executive VP of Football Operations is killing the Seahawks. The one hope is JS somehow finds a way to draft another franchise QB. But even in that, they might not develop him or support him properly. So even if they draft the right one, he may not develop given their current setup.

Some on here mentioning Josh Allen. He was a project that took 3 years to develop with some of the best offensive coaches in the NFL. Pete, Waldron are not on that level. They can't even improve Drew Lock who appears to be regressing. Upgrades will be needed on the coaching staff including Pete, if that is the plan.

Hmmm...

Well, "Failed" (with an "I" and a big fat "L"), how can you explain this team with its superior management losing on a national stage in prime time in what was supposed to be a highly motivated Wilson's "revenge game" to such a poorly managed team with a geriatric coach who doesn't understand NFL football as well as you do?

Despite all that superior team management and having the player you credit with all the Seahawks' success since 2012, the Broncos lost to the Seahawks and the head coach you refuse to give credit for anything good that's happened, and whom you blame for every bad thing that's happened.

Y'know, it's almost like Pete Carroll and John Schneider know more about succeeding in NFL football than you do. 🤔