Why do so many USC fans hate Pete Carroll?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Actually it's both USC and non-USC fans...they seem to think Carroll is this guy who left USC in shambles and jumped shipped. This is so factually wrong.

USC was awful before Pete arrived. He brought the program back. Although one of his national titles was stripped, he got the school another one...and the only they've had since then and since 1978. Not only did he get the titles, but he played in 5 Rose Bowls...winning 4 of them. This brought the program back onto the map by generating a lot of publicity and allowing them to compete nationally for top-tier recruits. Pete should be saying "you're welcome".

Sorry but it just makes me cringe to hear people say how much they hate him...focusing on only the bad instead of weighing the good against the bad can make people so ungrateful. This just irks me cause I see this crap posted all over other NFL boards.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I can see why they feel that way. I can imagine feeling the same way if he left the Seahawks under the same circumstances. It is similar to the hatred people still harbor for Hutch and other free agents who leave: You just feel betrayed when someone who has helped make your team successful leaves. Only with Pete he was probably the MAIN reason they were successful, so the anger is even greater when he left. The fact that USC went through such a mess upon his departure only made it worse.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
It's odd, because Carroll wasn't cheating at USC. He wasn't paying players and wasn't committing infractions. Bush took handouts. I guess you can blame Carroll for not knowing, but people call him Cheat Carroll and it doesn't make sense.

I didn't like him at USC (I went to UW) but that was because they seemed to always beat us (but during those years, so did a lot of teams...). I always thought he was a great coach and recruiter. I was happy when the Hawks got him.

rideaducati

Reaction score
They hate him because he isn't the coach of their team and he wins. I have yet to hear a former player of his say a bad thing about him and that means a whole lot more than what fans of other teams think.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I'm not aware that most USC fans hate or are angry at Pete. He's still seen as one of the best coaches we've ever had. When Barkley broke a big record last season they had a video tribute to him on the board. Several people came on and gave him greetings. When Pete appeared in the video, pretty much the entire Coliseum crowd burst out in cheers.

Edited to add: It was the USC TD record. Robert Woods broke the team's receptions record in the same game.

USC showed a previously produced video at the L.A. Memorial Coliseum commemorating Barkley's achievement shortly after he set the record.

Chris Paul and Blake Griffin of the Los Angeles Clippers congratulated him on the video, as well as Landon Donovan of the L.A. Galaxy. Leinart and Carson Palmer filmed a spot at Raiders practice in Oakland, and Keyshawn Johnson also had a quick clip

Former Trojans coach Pete Carroll drew the loudest applause from the sold-out Coliseum crowd. USC showed a similar video when Woods broke his record a few minutes later.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?stor ... rc=desktop

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I know quite a few Trojan fans (being in LA), and they all love the guy. They would welcome him back to the program in a heartbeat. There might have been some hurt feelings when he first left, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of their fans now realize what that man meant to the school and the SoCal community as a whole.

cockeyhawk

Reaction score
Taylor Mays didn't have very many nice things to say about Pete Carrol. People in Oregon flat out hate Pete, has to be more that any other state.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
I have several friends who are all USC grads (05-06) and they all love and miss the guy. So I think your statement to begin with is false.

kobebryant

Reaction score
You really need to cite or reference something to back up those thoughts, as I am not sure where you are getting that idea from.

I'd say about 90% of the 20-odd USC fans I know love the guy and the others are indifferent towards him. People really appreciate what he did in that community beyond the football field.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":3ohj5ydr said:
Taylor Mays didn't have very many nice things to say about Pete Carrol. People in Oregon flat out hate Pete, has to be more that any other state.
Well we all know why Mays doesn't like Carroll. He assumed PC would've drafted him at 14 and was pissed when ET was picked instead. He blames Carroll for him sliding down the chart. Obviously Carroll made the right choice

rideaducati

Reaction score
cockeyhawk":2c5nwjq9 said:

Taylor Mays was drafted in the second round of the draft because of Pete Carroll. The following year, he was traded for a seventh round pick. If anything, Taylor should be thanking Pete for duping the niner organization into thinking he was a good player.

sutz

Reaction score
Don't really know how SC fans view Pete, but I know that head coaches tend to get blamed for stuff that is actually done by the alums and moneyed fans with the collusion of the behind the scenes athletic department of the school. It was people outside the program giving gifts to Bush IIRC.

Pete didn't leave a trail of slime behind him like many coaches...ahem...Rick Neuheisal anyone?

Hawks46

Reaction score
It's ironic, but do UW fans hate Don James ?

I think the situations are almost exactly mirror images.

Bush took money (or his parents did) at USC. It's never been proven that Pete even knew anything about it, much less facilitated it.

Billy Joe Hobert took out loansl in college to be paid back against his pro earnings. Don James obviously didn't know about this, and when the rest of the Pac 10 got to vote on our punishment, they thunderstomped us. James then resigned (in disgust?) and the UW has been in the toilet ever since.

As much as these coaches have on their plate, not only with game prep, managing day to day operations, managing assistant coaches, studying aggragated scouting reports from high school, meeting with boosters, dealing with the media, on and on and on. I don't know how they do it, and it's assinine to believe they know everything that every player is doing. The fans that spout this out are beyond ignorant of a college football HC's duties.

Also funny how some of these SEC teams do this time and again, and it's a pattern of behavior and nothing ever gets done about it. Cam Newton was blatantly obvious and nothing happened. It's disgusting the amount of hypocrisy that is in college football.

Rocket

Reaction score
People make up ugly names for people they don't like or people they resent for one reason or another.
For most it started in kindergarten and flourished in grade school. Old habits die hard.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't get the sense that USC fans hate Pete. And the few that do would have gotten over it a long time ago if Kiffin were a decent coach.

I think what bothers me is the title being taken away. So some guy paid one player a relatively small amount of money (compared to what that player earned on his first NFL contract). That's not a reason to take away the accomplishments of an entire team of coaches and players who did follow the rules and earned what they got. You wouldn't take away a championship if one guy on the team did steroids, and at least then you could argue competitive advantage. I'm hardly a USC fan, but I hate the NCAA for taking a stance like that. It's an injustice, IMO. If the NCAA took away UW's 1991 national championship because of Billy Joe Hobert (they wouldn't since it happened after the fact, but you get the idea), I'd probably quit being a fan of college football.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Die-hard SC fan here, I would love Pete even if he didn't jump ship to Seattle.

Lane Kiffin on the other hand.. I can't wait for the day when he's kicked to the curb.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
My lovely neighbor always refers to him as "Petey Cheaty" or "Ol' Pete the Cheat"...Fun times.

OP
OP
fenderbender123

fenderbender123

Reaction score
kobebryant":1y1hcws7 said:
You really need to cite or reference something to back up those thoughts, as I am not sure where you are getting that idea from.

I'd say about 90% of the 20-odd USC fans I know love the guy and the others are indifferent towards him. People really appreciate what he did in that community beyond the football field.

Yeah just assumed the people talking crap about Pete Carroll abandoning the program were USC fans. I suppose a lot of them aren't actual USC fans and are just haters, I never thought about that, but I have read comments on news articles and on other NFL message boards (Gamefaqs, Reddit, etc) that claimed to be USC fans that don't like them, but I suppose it's not a lot.

If you re-read my post though I never claimed that most fans hate Pete Carroll, but since I've ran into a few I figured there were "so many"....(any many is so many lol)