Why are you guys so obsessed with the 49ers?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I'm actually inclined to believe that the Niners pick up a game this week. I am also inclined to believe that IF they actually do pick up a game, that it is the closest they will get all season and the distance will only grow as the season progresses.

Of course, if the Hawks somehow manage to win their 5th straight regular season road game, that no matter what they do to the Texans that it is over for them. If the Hawks win and the Niners somehow lose? Yikes.. I seriously doubt that it works out that way, but if it does the meltdown will be SEISMIC.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
The Colts have beat the Niners, Jaguars and Raiders. Of those you assume the Niners are a good team but are they really? The Niners have beat the Rams and GB and again you assume GB is a good team but again are they? GB have only beat the Redskins who finally won their first game against an 0-4 Steelers.

Houston has beaten the Titans and San Diego and put up one hell of a game vs us. The Chargers and Titans are both better than anyone Indy or the Niners have beaten.

When I look at everything, teams beaten, matchups and strengths vs weakness's I see Houston and Seattle as much better teams. The only reason there is question is we are on the second week of a 2 game east coast early start and Houston is in Candlestick after a demoralizing loss with the potential to completely implode.

I don't know how this will all work out but the thought of Houston and Seattle both winning doesn't seem far fetched to me at all. If it does happen I think the Niners go into melt down mode and Harbaugh starts seriously losing the team. Fortunately/unfortunately the fan base will disappear again. It will be nice to not see them around here (at least until next off season) but we won't get to enjoy their misery.

NINEster

Reaction score
RichNhansom":38tos1ib said:
The Colts have beat the Niners, Jaguars and Raiders. Of those you assume the Niners are a good team but are they really? The Niners have beat the Rams and GB and again you assume GB is a good team but again are they? GB have only beat the Redskins who finally won their first game against an 0-4 Steelers.

Houston has beaten the Titans and San Diego and put up one hell of a game vs us. The Chargers and Titans are both better than anyone Indy or the Niners have beaten.

When I look at everything, teams beaten, matchups and strengths vs weakness's I see Houston and Seattle as much better teams. The only reason there is question is we are on the second week of a 2 game east coast early start and Houston is in Candlestick after a demoralizing loss with the potential to completely implode.

I don't know how this will all work out but the thought of Houston and Seattle both winning doesn't seem far fetched to me at all. If it does happen I think the Niners go into melt down mode and Harbaugh starts seriously losing the team. Fortunately/unfortunately the fan base will disappear again. It will be nice to not see them around here (at least until next off season) but we won't get to enjoy their misery.

Nice rationale, but if you take it too literally it shows that last year the 49ers were better than the Seahawks all the way through. Decisive wins over the Packers and Patriots on the road while the Seahawks barely beat those teams at home.

It's still way too early to tell what will happen this season and who really is good and who is not. The 49ers are 2-2 with much roster change on offense due to FA and injuries whereas Seattle is much more similar roster wise to last year's squad.

The effects of swapping Delanie Walker with a rookie TE, playing without the top two WRs from last year is clearly being felt. It might be a lot to overcome or it could be a blessing in disguise for SF, long term.

People are projecting week 4 into week 17+ and it doesn't always work that way.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
NINEster":1d9712t8 said:
RichNhansom":1d9712t8 said:

Nice rationale, but if you take it too literally it shows that last year the 49ers were better than the Seahawks all the way through. Decisive wins over the Packers and Patriots on the road while the Seahawks barely beat those teams at home.

Not really. We played GB early in the year before the coaching staff trusted Wilson. It was because of games like those and Chicago the they opened the playbook up. Also your wins against GB and NE were both later games and if they had been early there is no question you would have lost. The only team you could beat at 10:00am was the Jets, getting beat by the Rams and Vikings. Look at those teams before and after last season.

I know you don't want to face it but there are correlations between all of them. It is much like the Atlanta game. Do you think you win that if you had to start at 10:00am like we did the week before?

It's still way too early to tell what will happen this season and who really is good and who is not. The 49ers are 2-2 with much roster change on offense due to FA and injuries whereas Seattle is much more similar roster wise to last year's squad.

Keep telling yourself that. I was saying in the off season you would struggle because you were only returning one guy that had caught a pass from Kaep the year prior. I also said the table is made for Kaep to struggle this year because of it. I said you would notice the loss of Delaney Walker and Goldson and you are relying far to much on unproven talent. Your situation was very predictable. Seattle has faced it's own demons this year with Clemons, Browner and Irvin all missing the start of the Season and now with the three best O-lineman out. The big difference between you and us is our FA acquisitions are having a huge impact. Bennett might be our best defender so far this year and Avril and Schfield have also been very effective.

The effects of swapping Delanie Walker with a rookie TE, playing without the top two WRs from last year is clearly being felt. It might be a lot to overcome or it could be a blessing in disguise for SF, long term.

So far it only looks like a blessing (no disguise) for Seattle and the rest of the NFL and I don't see any reason for that to change. By the time your rookies and FA's get up to speed Cowboy and Gore might be retired and if you pay attention to last year and how tired and worn out your defense was at the end and extrapolate that to this year with Cowboy at 34 and still not rotating your starters, it doesn't give any reason to believe your defense will improve on the year and more than likely will decline.

Of course it doesn't ALWAYS work that way. No one thought the Cards were going to s super bowl last year but that doesn't eliminate all projections. Some are very predictable. Injuries could derail any season but if your relying on injuries to your opponents to help you out then your probably not going to like the outcome.

I have heard three weeks staright now thit is is only _____ games into the season. At some point you have to recognize the reality of things. That could be this weekend for you guys. It may or may not happen but if the Texans play you like they played us, they are winning. Same can be said for Seattle though, it we play like we did in Houston it will likely be a loss. Hopefully we learned something from that win and we do get back a couple key players this week.

HawkWow

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2epbplp4 said:
NINEster":2epbplp4 said:
RichNhansom":2epbplp4 said:

Not really. We played GB early in the year before the coaching staff trusted Wilson. It was because of games like those and Chicago the they opened the playbook up. Also your wins against GB and NE were both later games and if they had been early there is no question you would have lost. The only team you could beat at 10:00am was the Jets, getting beat by the Rams and Vikings. Look at those teams before and after last season.

I know you don't want to face it but there are correlations between all of them. It is much like the Atlanta game. Do you think you win that if you had to start at 10:00am like we did the week before?

Keep telling yourself that. I was saying in the off season you would struggle because you were only returning one guy that had caught a pass from Kaep the year prior. I also said the table is made for Kaep to struggle this year because of it. I said you would notice the loss of Delaney Walker and Goldson and you are relying far to much on unproven talent. Your situation was very predictable. Seattle has faced it's own demons this year with Clemons, Browner and Irvin all missing the start of the Season and now with the three best O-lineman out. The big difference between you and us is our FA acquisitions are having a huge impact. Bennett might be our best defender so far this year and Avril and Schfield have also been very effective.

So far it only looks like a blessing (no disguise) for Seattle and the rest of the NFL and I don't see any reason for that to change. By the time your rookies and FA's get up to speed Cowboy and Gore might be retired and if you pay attention to last year and how tired and worn out your defense was at the end and extrapolate that to this year with Cowboy at 34 and still not rotating your starters, it doesn't give any reason to believe your defense will improve on the year and more than likely will decline.

Of course it doesn't ALWAYS work that way. No one thought the Cards were going to s super bowl last year but that doesn't eliminate all projections. Some are very predictable. Injuries could derail any season but if your relying on injuries to your opponents to help you out then your probably not going to like the outcome.

I have heard three weeks staright now thit is is only _____ games into the season. At some point you have to recognize the reality of things. That could be this weekend for you guys. It may or may not happen but if the Texans play you like they played us, they are winning. Same can be said for Seattle though, it we play like we did in Houston it will likely be a loss. Hopefully we learned something from that win and we do get back a couple key players this week.

That pretty well sums it up. Great post.