Who Will Be There At #5?

JGreen79

Reaction score
Carter, Anderson, or try to Trade down to around #10. Bresee would be nice, but I worry about how he's healed from the ACL

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I really don't see the reluctance to take a QB. 1st round QBs are a better than 50% propect of a better than average rookie year and if coached right the potential to build a franchise around.

Statistically more defensive players become draft busts than Quarterbacks, and fact is, not only long term, do we need a QB (even with aging Geno), but hopefully this is the best draft capital year we're gonna have to get that QB.

Yes we need defensive players, but we have a second first round pick and the rest of the draft.

The best teams are always building on the year before's' success, and not afraid to pull the trigger on a big name when the draft capital is there.

massari

Reaction score
1. Colts take Young.
2. Texans take Stroud.
3. Cards take Anderson.
4. Bears take Carter.
5. Seahawks take the top defensive end on their board.

Levis is too risky to draft this high. Same for Richardson.
Depends on how Richardson and Levis do at the combine/pro day, and how well they interview with teams. A great interview makes raw generational upside type QBs too good to pass up.

Your top 4 makes sense.

Rat

Reaction score
There’s always the chance Houston feels they have too many holes and values more picks over choosing #2.

Not a deal I’d make for the Hawks at this point, but if JS falls in love with a QB or two who knows.
I think the Bears are much more likely to trade down than the Texans. The Bears have a lot of holes and think they have their QBOTF. I dont think the Texans can afford to trade down if a QB they like is there.

Smellyman

Reaction score
A lot to sort out. there could be a Walker type player out there like last year that shoots up the draft boards. 5 still could be a good position.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
A lot to sort out. there could be a Walker type player out there like last year that shoots up the draft boards. 5 still could be a good position.
Yeah, it's impossible to say anything before the combine and senior bowl.

getnasty

Reaction score
Nobody's a believer in Miles Murphy huh? I honestly like his upside more then Will Anderson eventhough Anderson seems safer.

massari

Reaction score
Nobody's a believer in Miles Murphy huh? I honestly like his upside more then Will Anderson eventhough Anderson seems safer.
He's already Seahawks fans new golden boy since they all now expect Jalen Carter to be gone.

Ozzy

Reaction score
What will be wild is if Chicago does decide to trade Fields and draft Young like some have been floating around. I doubt it happens but it would make for an entertaining draft.

willyrobt

Reaction score
I really don't see the reluctance to take a QB. 1st round QBs are a better than 50% propect of a better than average rookie year and if coached right the potential to build a franchise around.

Statistically more defensive players become draft busts than Quarterbacks, and fact is, not only long term, do we need a QB (even with aging Geno), but hopefully this is the best draft capital year we're gonna have to get that QB.

Yes we need defensive players, but we have a second first round pick and the rest of the draft.

The best teams are always building on the year before's' success, and not afraid to pull the trigger on a big name when the draft capital is there.
I think we should consider a trade up with Chicago. Bryce young is a very good QB.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Depends on how Richardson and Levis do at the combine/pro day, and how well they interview with teams. A great interview makes raw generational upside type QBs too good to pass up.

Your top 4 makes sense.
Maybe. I hope the Seahawks don’t blow the #5 pick on one of these guys. If they want to draft a QB in 2023, use the second pick for some developmental QB. I would rather just roll with Geno for one more year, and spend the 2023 picks on the OL and DL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think we target Anderson or Carter, and if both those players are gone by five (high probability), then we move onto Bresee, Tyree Wilson or Murphy.

Depending on which of these players Pete and John fall in love with, could mean some wiggle room for trading down a couple picks to get another 2nd or 3rd either this year or next.

I like Richardson out of Florida a lot. But I doubt he'll be there whenever we use our own 1st round pick. We all know QB's go way higher than projected most of the time.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I just can’t get past how average Carter looked during the playoffs. It’s a super small sample size but I expected him to look dominant and he didn’t. He looked absolutely gassed and had to be spelled in the first game and was average in the second. I kept thinking I have to be missing something here. If you’re an interior guy being considered for best player in the draft you should be dominant and I just didn’t see it

I’m liking the idea of Richardson more and more but I agree doubt he’s there for the second first

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I just can’t get past how average Carter looked during the playoffs. It’s a super small sample size but I expected him to look dominant and he didn’t. He looked absolutely gassed and had to be spelled in the first game and was average in the second. I kept thinking I have to be missing something here. If you’re an interior guy being considered for best player in the draft you should be dominant and I just didn’t see it

I’m liking the idea of Richardson more and more but I agree doubt he’s there for the second first

You have to remember Carter was double teamed a LOT in the playoffs, and most of Georgia's games for that matter.

While I don't like the Aaron Donald comparison (Donald had WAY better stats coming out of college than Carter,) I think you have to see that Carter in the playoffs was being double teamed, which freed up his teammates to make plays. Which they did, a lot.

Dude's got some motor/maturity issues. But he is a beast and would be a fantastic anchor in the middle of any defense.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
You have to remember Carter was double teamed a LOT in the playoffs, and most of Georgia's games for that matter.

While I don't like the Aaron Donald comparison (Donald had WAY better stats coming out of college than Carter,) I think you have to see that Carter in the playoffs was being double teamed, which freed up his teammates to make plays. Which they did, a lot.

Dude's got some motor/maturity issues. But he is a beast and would be a fantastic anchor in the middle of any defense.
I agree. I am expecting the Bears will draft Carter.
The statistics on him are misleading. He would have more numbers on everything, if he weren’t getting double-teamed.

Also, Georgia does a lot of rotating their DL, so he gets under 500 snaps. If he got as many snaps as Anderson, his stats would nearly double.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Hoping Tyree Wilson blows up the combine as I expect him too. Hopefully some team other than the Seahawks falls in love with him.

Ozzy

Reaction score

But my concern is his stats are way, way worse than almost every other interior Dline guy taken in the top 5 if the article I read was correct. You have to assume those guys being that dominant were doubled too right? And Georgia has so much talent I would guess he hasn't been doubled any more than the other guys drafted in the top 5 were. I thought I also read where he had 6 sacks total in his career and 3 this year. That seems odd to me. I don't doubt he is light years better than what we have and would be a monster in the run game I just don't think you can draft a similar type player like Siaki Ika who has almost as many career sacks and takes up two offensive lineman every snap too. Now I know Carter is better but if I could have someone else and Ika later rather than Carter and someone later I think I prefer an elite edge guy like Anderson or a franchise QB if you think there is one.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
But my concern is his stats are way, way worse than almost every other interior Dline guy taken in the top 5 if the article I read was correct. You have to assume those guys being that dominant were doubled too right? And Georgia has so much talent I would guess he hasn't been doubled any more than the other guys drafted in the top 5 were. I thought I also read where he had 6 sacks total in his career and 3 this year. That seems odd to me. I don't doubt he is light years better than what we have and would be a monster in the run game I just don't think you can draft a similar type player like Siaki Ika who has almost as many career sacks and takes up two offensive lineman every snap too. Now I know Carter is better but if I could have someone else and Ika later rather than Carter and someone later I think I prefer an elite edge guy like Anderson or a franchise QB if you think there is one.

yeah I'd probably prefer an edge guy as well, as it's a position we're SORELY lacking a difference maker at right now.

But elite NT's are very difficult to find in this league, as are elite edge guys.

Just pointing out some of Carter's stats and lack of flashing on national games is misleading. By all accounts he's deserving of his top 5 pick projection. Georgia's RIDICULOUSLY stacked, dude was only rotating in for 50-60% of snaps.

Ozzy

Reaction score
yeah I'd probably prefer an edge guy as well, as it's a position we're SORELY lacking a difference maker at right now.

But elite NT's are very difficult to find in this league, as are elite edge guys.

Just pointing out some of Carter's stats and lack of flashing on national games is misleading. By all accounts he's deserving of his top 5 pick projection. Georgia's RIDICULOUSLY stacked, dude was only rotating in for 50-60% of snaps.
yeah that line is better than some NFL Dlines lol absolutely loaded.

massari

Reaction score

What top prospect doesn't get doubled?

Apparently his conditioning is why he doesn't get a ton of snaps.

Seahawks Draft Blog:

We’ve got the reported character concerns, we’ve seen the poor conditioning, we see how much he is spelled and can legitimately ask whether he’ll be ready for the battle of endurance that is the NFL.

After half-time in the National Championship game, ESPN ran a sideline report that revealed he was ’embarrassed’ by how gassed he was against Ohio State, so he spent the week doing morning sprints.

I cringed when I heard that. You can’t significantly improve your stamina in a week. You don’t try and improve your conditioning between the playoff semi-final and final with the biggest prize on the line. You have to be ready to go in the summer. You need to be ready for the season. Conditioning isn’t something you ‘have a bit of a go at’ ahead of your last game.

If he isn’t taking this seriously when millions of dollars are on the line as he prepares to turn pro — why will he do it when those millions are banked?

I did a bit of digging today and found this press conference from last April. Carter was asked this opening question:

“Coach (Kirby) Smart was just in here talking about how he wants you to step up as a leader, work on conditioning…”

Carter answered:

“I’ve started running more after practise and all that because they told me I could be a top-10 pick and all that, so I’ve done a lot that I didn’t usually do my freshman year and I’ve just been working harder.”

Later in the interview, when he was asked about the areas of his game he was working on, he again reiterated that conditioning was his main focus — specifically doing some extra running because he expected to ‘get a lot of reps’.

Conditioning was raised by the coaches as an area for improvement or greater dedication long before the 2022 season began. Carter acknowledged it and talked about being motivated to act because he wanted to be a high draft pick.

Despite the prompting by coaches and the clear motivation of millions of dollars to earn, his conditioning was a problem during the season culminating, in his words, in an ’embarrassing’ performance against Ohio State.

This is a concern. When Georgia were telling him to work on his stamina he didn’t deliver with millions at stake. What motivation will he have when the millions are banked?