Who Will Be There At #5?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Need is irrelevant. NFL rosters turn over 85% every 3 years. Every position is a position of need.

Being hyperfocused on immediate need is what gets teams into trouble.

For example TE. Right now, no one would consider it a need. But in a year Dissly will be overpriced, Fant and Parkinson will be Free Agents.

In only a season, TE, which is considered a strength currently, could be considered a weakness if it isn't bolstered in this draft.

Bottom line, draft to the talent of the draft. Some drafts are WR heavy, D-Line heavy, etc. Forcing need is how you draft guys like LJ Collier in the 1st round and Marquis Blair in the 2nd.

Instead they could've drafted Deebo, AJ Brown, AND DK with those picks.

But they had a need at DE and SS, so...
is that negated by the fact that we have needed a pass rush and Dline help for like the past 5 years? I call that systemic need and not immediate.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think the high first round is for BPA in one of five positions: OT, EDGE, DT, QB, CB. Next tier is WR and Safety. RB, iOL, LB, TE BPA’s are for late first or early second rounds.

So at 5, I don’t care if you have a guard graded highest in the draft, you don’t take him. You take one of OT, EDGE, DT, QB and CB. And I would suggest that given our needs you take BPA at DL, QB or EDGE as we have CB and OT positions addressed with young talent.