When the other team is in the Victory formation

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2017":rdi5ycri said:
kidhawk":rdi5ycri said:
hawknation2017":rdi5ycri said:
Carroll made clear during his interview today that Bennett was trying to disrupt the snap . . . and then things happened.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/940275372184276995[/tweet]

And I don't have any issue with that. If you're within one score, you should be trying to get the ball back. What happened after the play ended though was a bit much....not suspension worthy, but definitely earned the penalty he got.

Yeah, the extracurriculars after that were definitely penalty/fine worthy. But I also think it was a reasonable reaction to having one's junk grabbed. The center deserved worse for that. He should be fined too.

Yeah, there was a lot of that kind of thing going on from both sides of the ball. I have no doubt about that. I was just trying to clear up a little bit of my opinion on Bennett. Pete purposely mentions the swipe at the ball but left out the extra stuff after the play. Too much of that from both teams. I can understand it to a point, but I don't have any issues with that type of play and I actually like the fact that he went after the ball on the victory formation. If teams don't like it let them line up and run an actual play. It's still football until the clock strikes zero whenever there's a one score game.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
I'm surprised people are that easily duped and manipulated by the TV commentators demonstrative reaction against Bennett. I thought these particular commentators were a very pro-AFC crew, who were surreptitiously rooting for the Seahawks to lose the entire time. The not "man of the year" attack was repeated several times. And it stuck with people as a reason to hate Bennett. Propaganda is effective.

sutz

Reaction score
You seem to have a fixation with "junk." Perhaps you should talk to someone about that.

:twisted:

hawknation2017

Reaction score
sutz":2gchv7ho said:
You seem to have a fixation with "junk." Perhaps you should talk to someone about that.

I'm not sure what the appropriate term is to use in this forum. Maybe the Jaguars center should talk to someone about his inclination to touch another man's crotch.

:pukeface:

sutz

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1c32jfmv said:
sutz":1c32jfmv said:

I'm not sure what the appropriate term is to use in this forum. Maybe the Jaguars center should talk to someone about his inclination to touch another man's crotch.

:34853_doh:

hawknation2017

Reaction score
sutz":2w4ib9s7 said:
hawknation2017":2w4ib9s7 said:
sutz":2w4ib9s7 said:

:34853_doh:

What am I supposed to say? Your joke was awkward as hell.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Remember kids, believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. Speculation will fill the voids if you don't.

xkj1985x

Reaction score
hawknation2017":17vkhszu said:
JimmyG":17vkhszu said:
hawknation2017":17vkhszu said:
Nothing Bennett did was dangerous. Offensive lineman use cut blocks all the time. Bennett was trying to mess up the snap in a last ditch effort because he is a competitor. The center was not hurt; though maybe he should have been after grabbing another man's junk.
You cannot possibly be serious. Watch a replay of the incident. By the time Bennett rolled into the center the play was long over. This was not an "attempt to mess up the snap", this was a blatantly dirty play a full 3-4 seconds after the play ended. This is not even remotely defensible (neither is the center provoking Bennett, but that does not warrant this level of retaliation). I am seriously in disbelief that there are people in this topic defending this.

No, I think you should re-watch the play. The ball is still being snapped when Bennett instantaneously rolls into a cut block to try to disrupt the snap. That was not after the whistle; it was a last ditch effort that occurred during the snap.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Jesse__Foster/status/940020546795917312[/tweet]

The center grabbing Bennett's junk occurred after the whistle, as well as the rest of the melee that ensued.

I find your defense of Bennett atrocious but for the sake of homerism, can you defend this example of what happened with another victory formation against Seattle?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AaronNagler/status/940053347008049157[/tweet]

StoneCold

Reaction score
Jerhawk":2am7x8sg said:
Trying to get a fumbled QB exchange. Coach Carroll preaches "always compete" so that's what they're doing.

I don't care for it personally, if another team was rushing Wilson when trying to kneel I'd be pissed. Wish they'd just cut it out, but they won't

I'd buy this a bit more if we'd have used the timeout. If we really thought there was a chance to get the ball back we would need every second.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
xkj1985x":13rvg4ux said:
hawknation2017":13rvg4ux said:
JimmyG":13rvg4ux said:
hawknation2017":13rvg4ux said:
Nothing Bennett did was dangerous. Offensive lineman use cut blocks all the time. Bennett was trying to mess up the snap in a last ditch effort because he is a competitor. The center was not hurt; though maybe he should have been after grabbing another man's junk.
You cannot possibly be serious. Watch a replay of the incident. By the time Bennett rolled into the center the play was long over. This was not an "attempt to mess up the snap", this was a blatantly dirty play a full 3-4 seconds after the play ended. This is not even remotely defensible (neither is the center provoking Bennett, but that does not warrant this level of retaliation). I am seriously in disbelief that there are people in this topic defending this.

No, I think you should re-watch the play. The ball is still being snapped when Bennett instantaneously rolls into a cut block to try to disrupt the snap. That was not after the whistle; it was a last ditch effort that occurred during the snap.

The center grabbing Bennett's junk occurred after the whistle, as well as the rest of the melee that ensued.

I find your defense of Bennett atrocious but for the sake of homerism, can you defend this example of what happened with another victory formation against Seattle?

Bennett did NOTHING there. What's your point?

StoneCold

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1s8oyllp said:
xkj1985x":1s8oyllp said:
hawknation2017":1s8oyllp said:
JimmyG":1s8oyllp said:

Bennett did NOTHING there. What's your point?

Second vid is BS, but in the first I don't see any junk grabbing.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Was that Jeremy Lane who hit the blocker late? That was a more obvious penalty than what Bennett did initially, IMO.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
How many times have teams lined up in victory formation only to run a play and score?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":zeniuzpu said:
oldhawkfan":zeniuzpu said:
The victory formation has not always been a part of the NFL or even football at any level for that matter. Just google Joe Pisarcik if you aren't sure what I am talking about. The game isn't over until the last second has ticked off the board or you no longer have to snap the ball because the play clock has more time than the game clock. The argument can be made and is made that the unwritten rule is that the game is over and you fairly concede the game to the other team. Technically though, the game is still being played and yes, there is a chance to get the ball back. This is why the victory formation is tight with all players bunched up around the ball except for a player a few yards behind the QB as a safety valve. The defensive team, by all rights within the rules can still try to get the ball back. The offense at this point is essentially playing defense of protecting the ball.

The NFL could just put in a rule that automatically ends the game when an offense is able to use the victory formation. If its an unwritten rule then maybe they should. If an opposing team gets their feelings hurt because a team is still competing to the end, then that is on them. Go hard and compete until the end, but keep the dirty illegal crap out of there. I'm not sure what Bennett hoped to gain by rolling himself into the o-lineman but if he had tried a bullrush would it possibly been more effective?

The game isn't over til its over. The Center and QB could easily mess up the exchange.

You are missing the point. We are all just fat asses sitting on the couch implying that one highly paid player should "do anything to still try and win an unwinnable game" and in the process, if an opposing players career gets ended, so be it. Don't forget the shoe can be on the other foot the next time when our player is injured on a meaningless play.

The winner has earned the right to line up in victory formation. The Hawks had there chances and did not execute too many times to mention (Baldwin, Graham, Walsh, Punt coverage team, WILSON!!!). Suck it up and go down like champions and not CHUMPS!! How about stopping Fournette on 3rd and 11!!!!!!!

The victory formation is analogous for the Golden Rule. Do unto others.........(you know the rest)

We are becoming the embodiment of the Roman crowds screaming for blood in the coliseum. Its sad.
Oh hell to the NO!!
Just because the Goddamned Refs don't throw the damned flag for PA on the Defender that dragged Richardson down so he couldn't catch a THIRD TD in the 4th quarter.
There's NO RULE THAT SAYS WE HAD TO CONCEDE to their Kneel Down in a Victory Formation.
The Jags were only too happy to play hard and get some biased Calls/Non-calls, yet they could just take it for granted that the number weren't there for the Seahawks to get a turnover....The Game WAS NOT OVER, lest you ask the Bias Officials.
It's ALWAYS a ONE HOUR game, and the officials are lined up behind the Offense to call it if there's a damned turnover, else why the hell do they even bother to take up that position at that juncture?
Because there's ALWAYS a chance that when the scores are that tight, their jobs aren't done until the final whistle blows...THAT'S WHY!

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Carroll said during his press conference today that what Bennett did in trying to disrupt the snap was intended and practiced. They want to compete while there is still time remaining in the game, so that wasn't an improvisation.

What he didn't like was everything that happened afterward. He says he talked to the players about those actions.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
WmHBonney":z3i13fik said:
How many times have teams lined up in victory formation only to run a play and score?
The possibility is ALWAYS THERE, now whether or not they have enough of a lead (Time Allowing) to assume that they can rest on their a shallow lead. they still have to defend their control of the damned ball.
If there's a suspected CHANCE for an onside kick, you field your best players with the best chances to secure the ball.
Hey, it's an outside chance, and up until the final whistle blows, there's still a CHANCE, eh?

Seymour

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1jw3ufz0 said:

Funny you should ask. Holmgren was talking about this and said in all his years of coaching, he has never seen a turnover occur on that snap. Pretty much blew it off as not necessary and unacceptable explanation to what occurred on the field.

sutz

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1zi881rk said:
Only relevant to the end of the first half. Why would a winning team take that risk just to pad the score on a game already won?