When the other team is in the Victory formation

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
hawksbydesign":1zgotg5n said:
I don't care if you paid for your ticket. It does not give you the right to throw trash at an NFL player.
Agreed. It was classless by those fans. As was al the other crap, from the diving durng the kneel, the fighting on both sides, the insults as people were walking out, etc.

Those fans, if caught, should be banned for life. It's not just classless, it's dangerous.

Chapow

Reaction score
It sounds like at least 4 different Seahawks had food/drinks thrown at them from the stands, 3 of them before this incident, and that is only what we have heard about so far, less than 24 hours after the game. I wonder how much other crap went on that we haven't heard about?

I am absolutely NOT defending what the Seahawks did at the end of the game, especially Bennett, but I can certainly understand why they were so pissed off.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Chapow":mxrhhoyj said:
It sounds like at least 4 different Seahawks had food/drinks thrown at them from the stands, 3 of them before this incident, and that is only what we have heard about so far, less than 24 hours after the game. I wonder how much other crap went on that we haven't heard about?

I am absolutely NOT defending what the Seahawks did at the end of the game, especially Bennett, but I can certainly understand why they were so pissed off.

Not defending or minimizing the craptitude of any fan who throws food or drinks on players (...although some folks here have ;) ) and IMO the Jags fans who threw stuff should be banned for life, but again though, this isn't an isolated incident.

It's hard to say the Hawks were riled up by the fans when they got dirty and tried to fight/injure their opponents after effectively losing several times before also (against the Falcons last year, and against the Pats in the SB -- was there another time too?)

There's a pattern of this Hawks team doing this that exists WELL BEYOND this case of bad behavior by opposing fans.

sutz

Reaction score
Pete should have called that last time out instead of running out onto the field. Should have gathered the team together and got all up in their faces about the proper way to handle the situation. Maybe even subbing every player and replacing them with anybody just for that last kneel down.

The whole situation was ugly and the coaches mis-handled it.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
stang233":1g6js66l said:
I actually disagree. The chances are slim but the qb can fumble the snap. I say hit the center as hard as you can
Yep.....And it's not "Resorting To Cheap Shots" it's >RETURNING< the favor for dirty play tactics all game long by the Jags, and sanctioned by their Coaches.
It's probably just a coincidence that both Bobby Wagner & KJ Wright BOTH end up with concussion protocol, but there's nothing "Coincidental" when SEVERAL Jag players breech the No Play Zone with a late out of bounds hit and proceed to take down opposing Coaches.....ZERO Sportsmanship & DIRTY PLAY, and the Seahawks were suppose to just turn the other damned cheek?....Maybe in the Jax bible.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
sutz":qf6ng3sy said:
Pete should have called that last time out instead of running out onto the field. Should have gathered the team together and got all up in their faces about the proper way to handle the situation. Maybe even subbing every player and replacing them with anybody just for that last kneel down.

The whole situation was ugly and the coaches mis-handled it.

Agreed, but whatever it was, it didn't ultimately matter and it's good he intervened. I'm guessing he didn't call the timeout b/c he was just trying to get the situation handled as quickly as possible.

TBH given that the Hawks were already penalized on that play I would have been totally fine with the refs turning a blind eye to him heading out to center field, given his clear intent.

Still though, I agree with you in that I think it would have BEEN much better for optics for him to call the timeout, bring them all to the sideline, and chew them all the heck out rather than running out the the middle of the field, calmy telling them to cut it out, and then heading back.

Not that it's in his style to chew his guys out even when they deserve it, but it would have come off better probably.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The victory formation has not always been a part of the NFL or even football at any level for that matter. Just google Joe Pisarcik if you aren't sure what I am talking about. The game isn't over until the last second has ticked off the board or you no longer have to snap the ball because the play clock has more time than the game clock. The argument can be made and is made that the unwritten rule is that the game is over and you fairly concede the game to the other team. Technically though, the game is still being played and yes, there is a chance to get the ball back. This is why the victory formation is tight with all players bunched up around the ball except for a player a few yards behind the QB as a safety valve. The defensive team, by all rights within the rules can still try to get the ball back. The offense at this point is essentially playing defense of protecting the ball.

The NFL could just put in a rule that automatically ends the game when an offense is able to use the victory formation. If its an unwritten rule then maybe they should. If an opposing team gets their feelings hurt because a team is still competing to the end, then that is on them. Go hard and compete until the end, but keep the dirty illegal crap out of there. I'm not sure what Bennett hoped to gain by rolling himself into the o-lineman but if he had tried a bullrush would it possibly been more effective?

The game isn't over til its over. The Center and QB could easily mess up the exchange.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2j40ap6a said:
The game isn't over til its over. The Center and QB could easily mess up the exchange.

I think you're correctly addressing one problem with this argument (i.e. that's not how anyone actually plays the game), but the other problem with this argument in this situation is that the Hawks had already conceded the game.

They still had a timeout and were just letting the clock run through the victory formation. If they were trying to still compete they would have used their timeout. Instead, they were just being sore losers/trying to hurt someone a la the Falcons game and Pats game. You don't dive into an unprepared person's legs both during and again after the play as a form of competition.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":b7atedj0 said:
oldhawkfan":b7atedj0 said:

I think you're correctly addressing one problem with this argument (i.e. that's not how anyone actually plays the game), but the other problem with this argument in this situation is that the Hawks had already conceded the game.

They still had a timeout and were just letting the clock run through the victory formation. If they were trying to still compete they would have used their timeout. Instead, they were just being sore losers/trying to hurt someone a la the Falcons game and Pats game. You don't dive into an unprepared person's legs both during and again after the play as a form of competition.

Just because Pete isn't calling the timeout doesn't mean that the players intention isn't to try to make a play, even if the odds are against it. Whether it's true or not, Pete said this morning that Bennett was lined up low, not to make any type of block, but to try to interrupt the exchange between Center/QB.

HawkerD

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3fusllxi said:
The victory formation has not always been a part of the NFL or even football at any level for that matter. Just google Joe Pisarcik if you aren't sure what I am talking about. The game isn't over until the last second has ticked off the board or you no longer have to snap the ball because the play clock has more time than the game clock. The argument can be made and is made that the unwritten rule is that the game is over and you fairly concede the game to the other team. Technically though, the game is still being played and yes, there is a chance to get the ball back. This is why the victory formation is tight with all players bunched up around the ball except for a player a few yards behind the QB as a safety valve. The defensive team, by all rights within the rules can still try to get the ball back. The offense at this point is essentially playing defense of protecting the ball.

The NFL could just put in a rule that automatically ends the game when an offense is able to use the victory formation. If its an unwritten rule then maybe they should. If an opposing team gets their feelings hurt because a team is still competing to the end, then that is on them. Go hard and compete until the end, but keep the dirty illegal crap out of there. I'm not sure what Bennett hoped to gain by rolling himself into the o-lineman but if he had tried a bullrush would it possibly been more effective?

You are missing the point. We are all just fat asses sitting on the couch implying that one highly paid player should "do anything to still try and win an unwinnable game" and in the process, if an opposing players career gets ended, so be it. Don't forget the shoe can be on the other foot the next time when our player is injured on a meaningless play.

The winner has earned the right to line up in victory formation. The Hawks had there chances and did not execute too many times to mention (Baldwin, Graham, Walsh, Punt coverage team, WILSON!!!). Suck it up and go down like champions and not CHUMPS!! How about stopping Fournette on 3rd and 11!!!!!!!

The victory formation is analogous for the Golden Rule. Do unto others.........(you know the rest)

We are becoming the embodiment of the Roman crowds screaming for blood in the coliseum. Its sad.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Nothing Bennett did was dangerous. Offensive lineman use cut blocks all the time. Bennett was trying to mess up the snap in a last ditch effort because he is a competitor. The center was not hurt; though maybe he should have been after grabbing another man's junk.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The victory formation is a tactical line up to protect the last few snaps of the game. It’s literally designed to protect from failure because the game is not over. It’s not ceremonial and shouldn’t be treated like that if the game can still be competitive.

JimmyG

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1k9b82zp said:
Nothing Bennett did was dangerous. Offensive lineman use cut blocks all the time. Bennett was trying to mess up the snap in a last ditch effort because he is a competitor. The center was not hurt; though maybe he should have been after grabbing another man's junk.
You cannot possibly be serious. Watch a replay of the incident. By the time Bennett rolled into the center the play was long over. This was not an "attempt to mess up the snap", this was a blatantly dirty play a full 3-4 seconds after the play ended. This is not even remotely defensible (neither is the center provoking Bennett, but that does not warrant this level of retaliation). I am seriously in disbelief that there are people in this topic defending this.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
JimmyG":2hl4zdfp said:
hawknation2017":2hl4zdfp said:
You cannot possibly be serious. Watch a replay of the incident. By the time Bennett rolled into the center the play was long over. This was not an "attempt to mess up the snap", this was a blatantly dirty play a full 3-4 seconds after the play ended. This is not even remotely defensible (neither is the center provoking Bennett, but that does not warrant this level of retaliation). I am seriously in disbelief that there are people in this topic defending this.

No, I think you should re-watch the play. The ball is still being snapped when Bennett instantaneously rolls into a cut block to try to disrupt the snap. That was not after the whistle; it was a last ditch effort that occurred during the snap.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Jesse__Foster/status/940020546795917312[/tweet]

The center grabbing Bennett's junk occurred after the whistle, as well as the rest of the melee that ensued.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Carroll made clear during his interview today that Bennett was trying to disrupt the snap . . . and then things happened.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/940275372184276995[/tweet]

kidhawk

Reaction score
hawknation2017":2m98qgny said:
Carroll made clear during his interview today that Bennett was trying to disrupt the snap . . . and then things happened.

And I don't have any issue with that. If you're within one score, you should be trying to get the ball back. What happened after the play ended though was a bit much....not suspension worthy, but definitely earned the penalty he got.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
kidhawk":1c4dmtnf said:
hawknation2017":1c4dmtnf said:

And I don't have any issue with that. If you're within one score, you should be trying to get the ball back. What happened after the play ended though was a bit much....not suspension worthy, but definitely earned the penalty he got.

Yeah, the extracurriculars after that were definitely penalty/fine worthy. But I also think it was a reasonable reaction to having one's junk grabbed. The center deserved worse for that. He should be fined too.

JimmyG

Reaction score
hawknation2017":3fa7262v said:
The center grabbing Bennett's junk occurred after the whistle, as well as the rest of the melee that ensued.
I am referring to the "junk grab" and beyond. I thought Bennett, at the scuffle at the end of the play, took out the center from behind by rolling into him. I could be wrong, it is hard to fully see what happened because the view of the altercation is somewhat clipped in the replays.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
JimmyG":ubj6ge03 said:
hawknation2017":ubj6ge03 said:
I am referring to the "junk grab" and beyond. I thought Bennett, at the scuffle at the end of the play, took out the center from behind by rolling into him. I could be wrong, it is hard to fully see what happened because the view of the altercation is somewhat clipped in the replays.

I thought Bennett wrestled him to the ground by his legs in response to the low blow.