What's wrong with our D?

acbass

Reaction score
Willyeye":1wgoi6od said:
acbass":1wgoi6od said:
I agree. I think the interior pass rush is a real problem. Avril and Bennett can fly off the ball, but that is mostly negated by the QB being able to simply take two steps forward. Maybe we need to move Bennett around more and maybe line him up more at DT and see if he can generate anything. I feel the second tier guys, like Marsh, can still generate a decent enough outside rush. I think you're also spot on with the LBs. Irvin is earning that paycheck next year. I just hope it's with us. The LOB is a mystery all unto itself. Yes, there is a new DC, but his scheme isn't all that different. The secondary scheme we run is very simple, but it's always been effective. This year there seems to be a lack of communication or something. Maybe they are all trying to compensate for Williams. I haven't seen the All 22, but I would guess that Earl is having to constantly cheat over to his side and teams have been able to take advantage of that. Thomas doesn't seem to be lurking over the top on either side, which really does create a true 1-1 with Sherm or Kam. I'm very excited about the fact Lane is coming back. I know he's been more of a slot guy but he has the size to play outside. Obviously, Pete and Kris aren't overly happy with Williams. Benching him late in the game says a lot. Plus, they seemed to play a lot better with Shead in there. I'm very interested to see how they are going to use Lane. At the end of the day I think Burley has played well enough to stay on the slot guy. I think they will give Lane an opportunity to be the #2. I recall Maxwell missing a game and Lane playing outside, and I think he did alright. I really do believe fixing the number 2 CB spot will lead to a MUCH improved LOB. They have to trust each other and not try to cover a weak spot. Hopefully, Lane is the answer. If they decide to keep him inside I will be very interested to see what they do opposite Sherman. I know I've had enough of Williams and I think the coaching staff may feel the same way. Let's see. Go Hawks!!

Does it also seem like Sherm is playing a lot less zone coverage and a lot more man coverage? Is that due to compensating for Cary Williams? Maybe you're right, and it has nothing to do with Richard at all...more to do with Williams. This really is a HUGE issue, and if Lane comes back this week, I'm hoping the LOB can start getting back to basics.

I think Sherm's biggest problem is that he isn't as confident in the help behind him as he used to be. When you're confident in the safety behind you it allows you to take more chances and be more physical with the receiver. It also allows you to take chances when it comes to guessing routes. His lack of faith in those behind him is probably why he hasn't had any interceptions. I think he's too worried about giving up the big play now. If the safeties are having to lead towards to the other side to help protect Williams then Sherman is probably doing the smart thing by not gambling.

Barthawk

Reaction score
lost me at Mebane averaged 60 tackles a year...319 total tackles in his 9 year career.. that includes solo and assists..

The problem with defense has been the inconsistent DB play.. that is it. DL has done a great job at pressuring the passer (two Hawks in the top 10 in QB hurries).. rushing D is top 5.. the secondary, has been subpar.. Earl's injury, Kam hold-out, new guys, a plethora of injuries.. they have not been good at all (good for most of the league, but not commiserate with their past pay or current pay)

OP
OP
W

Willyeye

Reaction score
Barthawk":3n2v53bl said:
lost me at Mebane averaged 60 tackles a year...319 total tackles in his 9 year career.. that includes solo and assists..

The problem with defense has been the inconsistent DB play.. that is it. DL has done a great job at pressuring the passer (two Hawks in the top 10 in QB hurries).. rushing D is top 5.. the secondary, has been subpar.. Earl's injury, Kam hold-out, new guys, a plethora of injuries.. they have not been good at all (good for most of the league, but not commiserate with their past pay or current pay)

Sorry I lost you. In 2011 and 2012 Mebane had 56 tackles (combined total solo and assists) both years. In 2014, that number was 20 combined tackles. At his current pace, the number for 2015 will be 17 tackles. It's not that complicated...his production will eventually be zero if he's still playing in 2020. Bottom line: is 17 tackles this year by Brandon Mebane worth almost $6 million. They lost Kevin Williams and Tony McDaniel last offseason. They signed Rubin for a meager $2.6 million for 2015, and he's been mediocre at best, And Jordan Hill is once again either missing games or playing hurt...but not performing at the level he has when he's healthy. I have liked Mebane in the past as much as the next guy, but don't be surprised when the Seahawks don't renew his contract for 2016 and he ends up on another team...Mebane's performance this year is not even close to being commiserate with his pay.

The point in my original post was that defenses rely on QB pressure. Without pressure, most NFL QB's will pick apart your secondary...even guys like Nick Foles and Blaine Gabbert. Unfortunately, QB's like Brady, Rodgers, Dalton, Newton and Palmer make you REALLY pay...with losses! Sure, we have Avril and Bennett...two of the best pass rushers in the NFL. But when offensive coordinators and opposing QB's see how we exert very little pressure in the middle, it's simple for the opposing O-Line to form a pocket, and when the DE's get close to the QB, all he has to do is take 2 or 3 steps forward, into the area where THERE IS NO PRESSURE. It gives the QB an extra second to make an extra read and find an open receiver. No secondary can defend against a QB that doesn't get pressured. Not even the LOB.

I agree that there are other issues for the LOB. But some of these things are out of our control. And if the inside D-Line could put some pressure on the QB, the LOB would perform way better. Unfortunately, the loss of Bruce Irvin will only compound the pressure problem. Maybe they can occasionally give Bennett a shot at DT, and let Marsh and Clark play a bigger role on the ends. The guys we have there now just are not doing the job...not at all!

One of the tricks to maintaining a great roster is knowing when to cut loose the older, non-productive players who are performing below their pay grade. This coming offseason, whether we promote from within or draft, we need a new LCB and a couple of DT's.