Oline versus Bevell

• 1) Bevell

Votes: 67 45.0%
  • 2) Oline

Votes: 82 55.0%

• Total voters

Scottemojo

Reaction score
There were a few play calls I hated, the two option runs by Russ at the goal line stand out, and stood out to Pete as well.

But for the most part, I agree with Tical on this one. Fisher knew he had every matchup up front, and he thinks our receivers suck. So he did exactly what Pete would have done. And never backed off.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It's still sheer luck that we won this game. The missed field goal was a saving grace, and dumb play calling by the Rams at the end was also a saving grace. Does anybody REALLY think we could have stopped Stacy had they run him 3 times in a row from the one at the end? Ha.

Tical21

Reaction score
Scottemojo":28nca8zx said:
There were a few play calls I hated, the two option runs by Russ at the goal line stand out, and stood out to Pete as well.

But for the most part, I agree with Tical on this one. Fisher knew he had every matchup up front, and he thinks our receivers suck. So he did exactly what Pete would have done. And never backed off.
I do completely agree with the goal line calls. You're at the 1. Beast Mode scores from the 1 on the next four plays 95+% of the time. Give the guy the damn ball.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
THeother play call that stands out as truly awful was dropping Russell back into the endzone on a deep route design. By then, it was pretty clear we couldn't protect him for shit. If Wilson doesn't climb the pocket to escape that safety, which clearly would have changed the game flow from then on, I'm not sure we can recover.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I agree partially with Tical. Why I don't think Bevell was as adaptable as he could have been, our lack of specific skills at WR has put us in a predictable box.

OP
OP
plyka

plyka

Reaction score
Tical21":38ig4m6l said:
RolandDeschain":38ig4m6l said:
Tical, that seems like being a stubborn old goat to me. Since when is the hallmark of even a decent offensive OR defensive coordinator their REFUSAL to make in-game adjustments?

Seems nuts, IMO. You point out that we dropped a couple slants, and we did, but regardless of that how many were called on the night, and not on 3rd down after failed runs where even my dead grandmother sees a passing play coming?
Oh, it was a total stubborn "old goat" move, but a totally necessary one IMO. There aren't adjustments to be made. The slant IS the adjustment. Teams are going to take the tape of this. And we're going to see a lot of the same thing. And if we can't start to complete slants or fades against it, we're done, dead. You simply have to do it.

Look, once we start to complete them, Golden and Percy are going to turn those slants into 70 yard TD's, and guys like Baldwin and Kearse should complete 3rd down after 3rd down. But if teams continue to press without safeties over the top, and we can't make them pay, we're in BIG trouble. Just have to keep getting better at it, make the teams pay, and then defenses have to open up, and we get our Marshawn back, and all sorts of stuff can open back up.

If teams blitz and press, and you can't complete a slant or fade, you're in trouble, period, so you better figure it out real quick.

I'm sorry, but you think it's a good idea to run the same play over and over and over and over when both you and the defense know what play is coming? If that's the case, why don't we start telling the defense the playcall before hand? Let's give them the snap call as well and Wilson's reads or the hole Lynch will be going to.

One of the biggest weapons an offense has is unpredictability. The defense does not know where the play is going, they don't know what the snap count is, then don't know if it is a run or a pass. One of the biggest weapons on this Hawks team is the read option --the reason it is so successful is because the defense does not know whether Lynch is getting it up the middle or whether Wilson will hold it and run around the edge. If the defense knew who would be running, it would be a disaster. Also, there is a reason play action is in the book for the Hawks, they fake it to the RB so the defense bites, giving more room to the WRs.

I just don't understand your point. Are you saying that when something isn't working, the OC job is to run it over nad over? When the tackles can't block, it's the job of the OC to keep running 7 step drops and leaving the tackles one vs one against Quinn and Long?

I can tell how much we fans believe in our Hawks when we suggest that the job of the coaches isn't to put the team in aposition to win, but rather make sure the defense knows what you're going to do and then beat them at it, lol.

There is little question that hte OC shat the bed. He needed to run different sets, what about 2 TE sets, max protect? What about quick slants (believe me, we didn't run too many) or quick outs or anything which requires only a 3 step drop? What about feed the beast? Run him 8 times only? What about moving the pocket, he rarely tried that, what about chipping the edge rushers with backs? Chipping the edge rushers with TEs? Chipping the edge rushers with WRs? Chipping the edge rushers with ANYBODY! How about some surprises, shallow crosses, WRs picks, etc. He tried nothing new all game long. He was a robot, more lost than CArpenter, Mcquisten and Bowie.

Tical21

Reaction score
plyka":2d9q01f9 said:
Tical21":2d9q01f9 said:
RolandDeschain":2d9q01f9 said:
Tical, that seems like being a stubborn old goat to me. Since when is the hallmark of even a decent offensive OR defensive coordinator their REFUSAL to make in-game adjustments?

Seems nuts, IMO. You point out that we dropped a couple slants, and we did, but regardless of that how many were called on the night, and not on 3rd down after failed runs where even my dead grandmother sees a passing play coming?
Oh, it was a total stubborn "old goat" move, but a totally necessary one IMO. There aren't adjustments to be made. The slant IS the adjustment. Teams are going to take the tape of this. And we're going to see a lot of the same thing. And if we can't start to complete slants or fades against it, we're done, dead. You simply have to do it.

Look, once we start to complete them, Golden and Percy are going to turn those slants into 70 yard TD's, and guys like Baldwin and Kearse should complete 3rd down after 3rd down. But if teams continue to press without safeties over the top, and we can't make them pay, we're in BIG trouble. Just have to keep getting better at it, make the teams pay, and then defenses have to open up, and we get our Marshawn back, and all sorts of stuff can open back up.

If teams blitz and press, and you can't complete a slant or fade, you're in trouble, period, so you better figure it out real quick.

I'm sorry, but you think it's a good idea to run the same play over and over and over and over when both you and the defense know what play is coming? If that's the case, why don't we start telling the defense the playcall before hand? Let's give them the snap call as well and Wilson's reads or the hole Lynch will be going to.

One of the biggest weapons an offense has is unpredictability. The defense does not know where the play is going, they don't know what the snap count is, then don't know if it is a run or a pass. One of the biggest weapons on this Hawks team is the read option --the reason it is so successful is because the defense does not know whether Lynch is getting it up the middle or whether Wilson will hold it and run around the edge. If the defense knew who would be running, it would be a disaster. Also, there is a reason play action is in the book for the Hawks, they fake it to the RB so the defense bites, giving more room to the WRs.

I just don't understand your point. Are you saying that when something isn't working, the OC job is to run it over nad over? When the tackles can't block, it's the job of the OC to keep running 7 step drops and leaving the tackles one vs one against Quinn and Long?

I can tell how much we fans believe in our Hawks when we suggest that the job of the coaches isn't to put the team in aposition to win, but rather make sure the defense knows what you're going to do and then beat them at it, lol.

There is little question that hte OC shat the bed. He needed to run different sets, what about 2 TE sets, max protect? What about quick slants (believe me, we didn't run too many) or quick outs or anything which requires only a 3 step drop? What about feed the beast? Run him 8 times only? What about moving the pocket, he rarely tried that, what about chipping the edge rushers with backs? Chipping the edge rushers with TEs? Chipping the edge rushers with WRs? Chipping the edge rushers with ANYBODY! How about some surprises, shallow crosses, WRs picks, etc. He tried nothing new all game long. He was a robot, more lost than CArpenter, Mcquisten and Bowie.
Look, if this was a playoff game and we needed to win, he would have needed to try to get cute. But this was a huge learning opportunity. HUGE. The fact that he did what he did will have long-ranging benefits down the road. We needed to take this lump.

Yes, the defense dictated what we had to do. But guess what, the defense said, here, complete these really simple plays, and you will torch us. Bet you can't do it! Now, if they go inside to take away the slant, you go to the fade. You can't run a hitch. You can't run an out. You don't have time. You run slants or fades, and if you do a halfway decent job, you torch the defense with big plays.

If you run press man with 8 in the box against Brees, Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Luck, Ryan, etc., or any other proficient passing offense, they're going to hit a couple slants or fades, make you pay big time, and get you out of that defense. Same thing with WR's. You can't run this against the best receivers in the game. They'll kill you. We need to make them pay if they're going to try to blitz and play press. I'm sorry, I know this wasn't the answer you're hoping for, but there is one and only one solution to this problem. You don't run max protect. That won't help you get your guys open. You burn them. You burn them early and often. Make them pay. You have to make it so when you see press coverage with no safeties and you know they're blitzing, your QB has to start salivating because they are giving him a huge chance at a big play.

Read option or play-action against that rush with that many people in the box? Best of luck to you.

If Russell Wilson is as good as we think he is, and our WR's are at-all capable, they will learn a tremendous amount from what happened out there, and we will all be better for it. Would you rather we got cute and didn't try to fix the crux of the problem?

Maybe it is the stubborn-ass coach in me, but I would be damned if I let a team intimidate me to the point where they were daring me to execute and I got scared and tried to get cute instead.