Forget the woeful offense, what happened to the defense?!

Followthelegion

Reaction score
Waking up this morning with a putrid taste in my mouth of watching perhaps the worst 3 quarters in the 12 years or so I've been watching the Seahawks. Sure there are many long-standing on this forum who have similar games from days past that this was the equivalent to.

All the focus is going to be on the offense, and specifically Russell but that wasn't the part that surprised. We have scored minimal points in many games this year but always had chances to win because of the defense keeping us in it.

But yesterday? They look atrocious. Missing every first up tackle, Lane getting burnt for a 66 yard toss and catch (uncontested), no pass rush at all (AR literally had 10 seconds to throw most downs in a nice comfortable pocket). Green Bay had a hobbled Erin Rodgers, no Cobb, no Cook due to injuries. They were so decimated they put in their backup at the start of Q4. This was an embarrassment.

No 1 scoring defense in the league no more. I cant believe Earl was so important to this defense to see that much of a swing. Utterly sickening performance by this defense. This angered me a lot more than the stupid interceptions bouncing off the receivers into GBs hands.

I hate purely negative posts but I'm struggling for positive. We get to play at home on Thursday and not on grass?

hawks85

Reaction score
It's one bad ugly ass game. Be thankful we are not the friggin browns. Not having earl didn't impact this game. It's one blow out in 5 years. Pats got blown out last year by the chiefs remember that. Pats didn't freak out and call it the end of the Brady era. The way the game is today every team is going to get there asses handed to them lucky for us it was 1 time in 5 years. I seriously doubt it happens again this season. If we see the bucs or packers again in the tournament it will be a different ending. Besides that it's tough to win in Green Bay in December just like its tough to win here in Seattle. Yeah Green Bay was hobbled but it doesn't make them better than us it just makes them better today hats off to them.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Rob12":25n7sa79 said:
Zero pass rush.
That's it in a nutshell. Our best pass rushers are speedy tweeners, and grass nullifies their advantage. Might help to have a grass practice field to prep for games on that surface.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Its the same game plan for mobile qbs. They dont strive to collapse the pocket, they contain and rely on lob. Its especially true in gb games. The team getting sacks is an afterthought when it comes to rogers. Kris is afraid of his legs it see s.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
When Rodgers is on, he's incredibly difficult to stop. If you blitz he'll slice you up, if you play man/zone and you can't get to him.. He'll slice you up. If you substitute.. He'll hurry to the line and get a cheap penalty for a free play down the field. The guy is still lethal when he's on his A game and that was what we saw yesterday.

I wish our offense showed up and put some semblance of pressure on Green Bay to match us point for point but we sure made it easy on them.

This is why a home playoff game is so vital for us. We'll still finish 11-4-1 and with the two seed, but they need to figure out how to win on the road or a neutral field if they want to bring this thing home this year.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
What do you expect the D the do when....

3 GB drives STARTED at the SEA 30 or closer because of 3 INTS
1 GB DRIVE STARTED at the SEA 39? because of turnover on downs
1 GB DRIVE STARETED at the SEA 48? because of a horrible punt?

That is 5 drives.....FIVE!!!!!! DRIVES!!! that started in Sea Territory due to the offense

They werent amazing yesterday but when your offense turns the ball over 3 times to put the other team in FG position before they even snap the ball on a drive that does not help

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2b64j7dk said:

That is 5 drives.....FIVE!!!!!! DRIVES!!! that started in Sea Territory due to the offense

They werent amazing yesterday but when your offense turns the ball over 3 times to put the other team in FG position before they even snap the ball on a drive that does not help
All true!

One slightly interesting comment from after the game was the one from Sherm in the locker room after the game (saw it at the Tacoma Trib site), where in talking about the coming game against the Rams, he said the short week could be good 'because the D scheme will be simplified.'

He may have been comparing 'simplified' to whatever more-complex scheme they attempted yesterday.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":50l28zzq said:
He may have been comparing 'simplified' to whatever more-complex scheme they attempted yesterday.

Sherman's pointing out the difference in trying to scheme against a QB like Rodgers, and a QB like Goff who can't even run 50% of the Ram's playbook yet.

As bad as Russell and the offense was yesterday, I was SHOCKED to see our D get pushed around like that. Utterly and completely embarrassing. If they don't come out Thursday with their hair on fire and right yesterday's wrong, this season isn't going anywhere.

RCATES

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":o4ht959a said:

Bingo. Offense constantly turning the ball over or going 3 and out all the time giving the opposing team short fields to score on is demoralizing on the Defense. Sherman said it 2 weeks ago. "Its hard to win win you only score 5 pts." When in reality 2 of those were from the defense. Wilson has been just bad borderline terrible on the road this year. He's regressed this year no doubt about it. A healthy RW with better O-line play last 3 games: 60.2%, 6.19 YPA, 2 TDs, 8 INTs. Yikes

lukerguy

Reaction score
I agree. THis was by far the most disconcerting part of the game. I thought that when healthy we had a top 5 DLINE in the league.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":23mcrvtk said:
When Rodgers is on, he's incredibly difficult to stop. If you blitz he'll slice you up, if you play man/zone and you can't get to him.. He'll slice you up. If you substitute.. He'll hurry to the line and get a cheap penalty for a free play down the field. The guy is still lethal when he's on his A game and that was what we saw yesterday.

I wish our offense showed up and put some semblance of pressure on Green Bay to match us point for point but we sure made it easy on them.

This is why a home playoff game is so vital for us. We'll still finish 11-4-1 and with the two seed, but they need to figure out how to win on the road or a neutral field if they want to bring this thing home this year.

Yet Wilson wanted more $$ than Rodgers.

Ya, I've seen worse games. Zorn threw 6 picks in '76, so Russell just missed that record but may have had a worse game since he threw them on one of the leagues worst pass D's.

But ya, team effort, or lack there of, and Dline was #2 cause of losing this game.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Jeremy Lane is starting to look more like Kelly Jennings....he has regressed this year.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
6 of one, half a dozen of the other. The defense was terrible. The offense was terrible.

xStickybudz

Reaction score
Ya I think the game was a wash lastnight, just straight up bad at both ends of the ball. Saying that our pass rush yesterday was horrific and if you can't get pressure even a hobbled QB especially Rogers will be able to a open reciever. Also all the picks didn't help our defence either

Optimus25

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1dygzmgk said:
LeftHandSmoke":1dygzmgk said:

Sherman's pointing out the difference in trying to scheme against a QB like Rodgers, and a QB like Goff who can't even run 50% of the Ram's playbook yet.

As bad as Russell and the offense was yesterday, I was SHOCKED to see our D get pushed around like that. Utterly and completely embarrassing. If they don't come out Thursday with their hair on fire and right yesterday's wrong, this season isn't going anywhere.

Same here. Usually when the offense sputters, the D steps up and gives us a chance. Yesterday was like them kicking your little brother in the junk and then instead of sticking up for him you go and buy the bad man a milkshake.

Every single player sucked. I just want to say the blame offense blame defense stuff can end today and every single phase, every single player, sucked. It was literally the first time in the PC era i didn't want PC as our coach, but strictly only for the reason that i want someone to go into the locker room and annihilate their faces off. Who ever posted Mora's rant is a freaking genius and that needs to resonate throughout the franchise- we suck. If you don't want to suck, then make a freaking play. But yesterday conclusively stripped all entitlement and settled the debate of whether or not we can half ass our way thru this thing.

Latest posts