Ruminations on the Rams Game

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I know this is probably for you guys, but I wanted to give you a non Seahawks fan's perspective.

Many of you already said this, but IMO the biggest coaching gaffe was not blitzing more frequently. If you give Goff time, our weapons are just too good and he is accurate - with time to pass, no defense is going to stop the Rams. The Bears, Eagles and Patriots blue print from last year was stopping the run, taking away the deep passes AND getting pressure, usually without blitzing. The Seahawks stopped the run (traditional run plays at least) effectively, and took away the deep passing game - but without pressure, Goff found open WRs in the middle of the field. The counter to this is blitzing - it may have backfired, depending on what playcalls McVay would have made, but Goff is pretty bad when blitzed.

Russell Wilson - dude is a mystery. I maintained for a long time that he wasn't "elite" because he had so many games like this against the Rams. He was pressured, but he missed some throws that he shouldn't have too. I finally came off of that last year. This year I thought he was the best or 2nd best QB for most of the season - but he clearly hasn't been as effective for multiple weeks now. But the Rams defense is actually pretty damn good..

Rams defense - partly why I wouldn't read too much into this game - we lead the NFL in sacks since the Ramsey trade, and if you set aside the Ravens game, here is what our defense has allowed since that trade:

You have the Ravens game too, and the first five were against the Falcons, Bengals, Steelers, Bears and Cardinals - all pretty bad offenses. But those are below their season averages too, and now obviously Seattle has been a really good offense. The confusing thing is that, while our D has played really well, the Niners have been better and Seattle had much more success against them.

Seahawks offense - I've read a lot of you guys saying that the Hawks should pass more, but I disagree. There was one drive where you guys ran/ran/ran punted, but honestly, I think they should have done this more often. More often than not, three runs by Carson will get you a first down. This may have been changed once Penny went out and the Hawks were down. But moving forward, I think they should run more and involve Wilson more in the run game. The Seahawks are not good enough to win the Super Bowl this year IMO - but one way to improve their odds would be to incorporate some of what Baltimore is doing into their offense. Wilson has been in the league a while and has proven to be durable - I think this is the perfect time to say screw it and run him 10 times a game going forward, with the goal to be possessing the ball 40 minutes a game to protect that defense.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Offensively -
Carson getting almost 7 YPC? Offensive line getting owned by the pass rush? Let's get cute with a long developing, play action pass with no check down option.

3rd and 3? Why not throw it 25 yards? Incomplete. Punt.

3rd and 1? Let's send everybody 30 yards downfield. Incomplete. Punt.

Free play on second and ten with the game clock winding down? Meh, let's just toss it 7 yards.

Lockett doesn't have a NFL caliber body. He just doesn't. Can't blame him for going all Wilson on us, and trying to protect himself.

Defensively -
Commit to, and stop, Gurley on the inside. Continue to commit to the inside when it is clear that McVay has adjusted and is absolutely gashing us outside the tackles.

Will this team ever, I mean, ever learn to defend the middle of the field. It has been our Achille's heel since Pete arrived. Even Jeff, freaking, Fisher had that one figured out.

Have Gurley contained? Fine we will just disguise him as a blocker, then toss it to him in the middle of the field with no defender within 20 yards.

Hey, I know what we should do, run a zone scheme that leaves the middle of the field wide, freakin, open for crossing routes and check downs.

*Quoted numbers are not meant to represent actual game statistics (except for the free play), and are only representative of my impression of the game.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1yi10ff0 said:
....Will this team ever, I mean, ever learn to defend the middle of the field. It has been our Achille's heel since Pete arrived.....
That and the wheel route. Got torched on that one last night too.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Barton was completely ineffective last night no where near good enough. Maybe he'll be a good LB someday but I didn't like that draft pick. The next LB drafted needs to be a guy that can cover and play the run and I don't think Barton is either of those things. Certainly he is no where near ready and has no business starting. Should have kept Calitro.

thegameq

Reaction score
I've seen more than enough professional sports games to recognize when a team has zero interest in playing that day.

I get it, their human and a it's a long season, etc. Very disappointing nonetheless--honestly I'm more disappointed in Pete. At this stage in his career and considering his experience this type of thing shouldn't happen. They should be ready to play regardless. These types of games says more about the coaching staff in my opinion.

On to the next game....

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
As much as I didn't like it I get guys like Woods and Kupp having good games. But geez, allowing HIgbee to run free putting up Kelce or KIttle like numbers. Speaking of which, they'd better figure out covering the TE by Week 17.

Should be able to win the next 2 setting up that last game of the season.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":jlhqb7ar said:
Should be able to win the next 2 setting up that last game of the season.
Yes, they indeed should. If that doesn't happen they don't deserve the division anyway. Good teams beat inferior opponents when division championships are on the line.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely, if they somehow drop one of these game, clearly they don't deserve the Division title.
But, let's get a couple ugly wins and get ready for the 1st playoff game. Because if it comes down that Dec. 29th game for the division, that's the first playoff game to me.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Oh and message to the Rams....can you go play that well or better in a couple of weeks when you visit San Fran? Thanks in advance

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt. Rams were damn impressive last night. Focused and the play calling was very creative.
Yes that hurt to say :lol:

Ramfan128

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":vtovzeaf said:
Oh and message to the Rams....can you go play that well or better in a couple of weeks when you visit San Fran? Thanks in advance

Unfortunately, it's a match up thing. We struggle against teams with dominant DL and usually feast on teams with mediocre DL.

SF>LA
LA>SEA
SEA>SF

I hope that we will play better, but in reality, I think we'll need a special teams TD or two to win at SF. Just an awful match up for us. Offensively at least. We should be able to keep their offense in check.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Why couldn’t we get lined up on defense before the snap? Half our guys were looking to the sideline when the ball was snapped and often they weren’t in position yet. Something was terribly wrong. I also heard on ESPN that our support staff left our cleats on the airplane! Talk about a lackluster effort!

sprhawk73

Reaction score
Well that was a reality check but I think most 12's would tend to agree, we are not as good as our record indicates. I'd love a playoff run but we are missing way too many pieces to be a superbowl contender.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
WE? The 12s can have whatever opinion they want. Plenty of us Seahawks Fans actually realize this this is a very good football team. Far from perfect overall, and don't have a ton of depth, but I'm not gonna' just accept that this team isn't as good as their record. They are 10-3, regardless how it looks. I'll let the "12s" decide that 10-3 isn't good enough because it's not pretty.
Was it a reality check for the Saints when they got smoked at home by a 1 win Falcons Team?
Good teams lose games, believe it or not...…..

sprhawk73

Reaction score
I agree, good teams do lose games, but what exactly is making us good other than RW, KJ, Wag and occasionally Clowney and Carson? Every game this year has been way too close for me to accept that this is that good of a team.

I'm not saying we can't go deep, anything can happen but the rebuild had better not be complete because we aren't anywhere near what we once were.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
Big ups to Ramsfan128, those were all very salient points, and issues that were being talked about here earlier this season.

I feel like the bottom line is that Pete will play rope-a-dope til his dying day, and well, his record shows that it's been mostly successful, so why would he change now? You would hope that he might consider thinking about the possibility of approaching the idea of maybe bringing more pressure or not letting teams pass up the middle for 10-20 yards unchallenged, but that's our Pete. 3rd and 15? Just pass up the middle! Russ will cover my ass with his magic! Dude. Try talking to a guy pushing 70 about changing his ways. Nawp.

And I understand you can't come up with three completely different approaches every week and try to have the team practice them 'just in case' one of them doesn't work. You scheme and practice and hope it works out. I get it. But dang, could you just have a few tricks up your sleeve that don't crash down in a flaming heap every time? That's not Pete, so that's where we are. Again. Mostly successful. But it gets crazy frustrating when you watch opponents do the same thing over and over -- and they're not reinventing the wheel -- and the coaching staff won't adjust. Because Pete won't let them deviate from The Plan.

The excuse that they were real tuckered from the Monday night game and had to fly to LA (on a private jet, just over two hours away in the same time zone) holds ZERO water with me. OK, late season and you are tired. BUT...the RAMS weren't. Earn your fookin money kids. This is it.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Thanks RamFan128. Your points are valid.

I agree that we should run a lot more just to burn clock time. I know TOP dont mean all...but if the other team does not have the ball, they cant score. I know a wierd concept there. And if the team with the ball happens to score...I think Yay is appropriate. Again a wierd concept.

The only one thing that could have hurt is the fact that they knew that the Niners had won the earlier game. Changed the perspective of the game for some of our game. Attitude thing yanno.

Great stuff in this thread...thanks.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
brimsalabim":ypxun7np said:
Why couldn’t we get lined up on defense before the snap? Half our guys were looking to the sideline when the ball was snapped and often they weren’t in position yet. Something was terribly wrong. I also heard on ESPN that our support staff left our cleats on the airplane! Talk about a lackluster effort!

La did no huddles.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
SoulfishHawk":oavm6228 said:
Just one of those nights where you just don't have it. Outcoached and outplayed. Pretty rare for this team in a prime time game. But hats off to the Rams, there were damn good last night. The Hawks still control their own destiny, so there is plenty to be accomplished. One clunker doesn't change that. They are 10-3 w/it all in front of them.

I agree with Soulfish take. The Rams game (AND the Niners game) were outliers in our body of work this season. I would use the Rams game to isolate plays where you could help individuals players identify problems. Other than that throw it out and lets get better as we move on. 10-3 is a fact, regardless how we did it. But how we did it cannot be ignored. There is a saying in horse racing; "The imprtant thing isn't how fast a horse runs, it's how a horse runs fast." I think that applies perfectly to how we finish this season. Coach Carroll's focus on finishing bears that out.