Ruminations on the 49ers Game.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
JPatera76":38bbvl3x said:
I agreed with everything the OP said except the Sherm bit
“ Sherman still plays the run well. Shed DK's block and put a good textbook shot on Lockett.”
He held DK lost that battle and went helmet to helmet on Lockett.. it was a chump move, and easily should have been called.
The Refs kept giving Sherman & Company all the bias slack they needed to CLEANLY, & CLEARLY win this game, GQ JIMMY just isn't wired for bright light performances like RW is.
The Defense has a boat load of talent, and finally made the necessary adjustments to take advantage of it.
This was a WHOLE TEAM EFFORT WIN. :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:

D

DomeHawk

Crazy game. They looked like they were going to murder us in the 1st qtr.

Hope Lockett is okay, he is so key to this team.

Getting Gordon was timely, hope he contributes more.

Jacob Hollister is a baller. Now that we seem to know how to utilize TE's, it's good to have gotten multiple quality players at the position.

I wrote at the start of the season that if we could make it to 5-3 at the half we would be well-positioned to make a run with Jarren Reed back and the line coming together. It's even better than I could have hoped for. Now we just need the DB's to come together.

mistaowen

Reaction score
It was strange seeing the defense carry this team to a win against a top team in the league this year when its been the offense dragging the defense to victories so far. They were on fire all night outside a few mishaps mostly in the direction of Taylor. It's amazing what a difference a good pass rush and solid safety play does for a Pete Carroll defense. Addition of Diggs, an above average safety, is huge.

Gordon will get rolling with this offense I bet, his big third down catches were effortless. His hands just sort of absorb the ball even with all sorts of contact. I actually like him getting those 1 on 1 jump balls DK has been getting along the sideline going forward, DK needs to work on those this offseason. For all his size he does an awful job getting position and often times it bounces off his hands.

Offense was mostly bottled up but 49ers D is for real. I am actually really impressed with the offensive line, they gave Russell a bunch of easy running lanes and nice pockets even if they were a bit overmatched. Tough for Carson to get going when they were consistently sending pressure with press coverage on the outside, their defensive gameplan was very similar to how the Ravens played us.

Penny is wildly disappointing especially knowing Chubb was available. He may be a #1 for a different team but he just cannot run the style Pete wants. I understand why they took a RB with Carson's injury, hindsight is just a bitch.

Nothing more to add about Clowney, dude was the best player on the field all night. I hope this fire continues for the rest of the year.

Hope Lockett is ok, sounds like he spend the night at a hospital there for swelling. Russ needs him as a safety blanket over the middle.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
niveky":3ic9w9bj said:
Shanegotyou11":3ic9w9bj said:
Boy oh boy what a game.

Hawks defense was amazing. Clowney was amazing. That play by Shaq in OT was beautiful. The offense was eh and that pick by russ in ot was horrible.

The defense definitely picked up the offense this game which is great as offense has been the reason for this 7 and 2 start. So to get 8th win and see this defense step is awesome.

Our running backs have slippery hands. That has to be fixed. Myers stepped up huge.

To be fair, the 49'ers defense is legit. Luckily the Seahawks defense matched intensity last night

They are legit i agree. Fumbles killed us.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Considering how the national media was writing the Hawks off and the Digits were favoured by 6.5 there is a considerable amount of negativity here. The team is now 5-0 on the road and yesterday the team won it's 3rd straight divisional game, with only 1 conference L :2thumbs: .

The D played very well yesterday and yes they made a few blunders but they had a pass rush which upset Garoppolo. He sure didn't look that good under pressure. Yesterday we saw how things might look in the later part of the season as Reed rounds into playing shape and works in combination with Clowney and Jefferson, Poona and Al Wood also had big games. I was impressed with the play of Griffin, Diggs and McDougald and not much overwhelmed with the play of either Flowers or Taylor. Flowers is struggling a bit this season, is nursing a leg injury, but was unfairly called on a PI that was so tacky tack it goes down as one of the worst calls of the season. The team simply needs to find a better NCB than Taylor.

The game was an impressive effort and the defensive changes dialled up by Pete shows the Ol' Dawg still has a few tricks. The team needs to find a way to keep Clowney, he is a wrecking ball, the team has cap space to make it possible as well. This game preceded the bye which has come at a great time and will allow the team to heal up and get stoked for the last 6 games of the regular season.

The numerous fumbles and turnovers by the O sure allowed SF to stay in the game as the Hawks might have hung a whoppin' on the Digits otherwise, coulda, woulda, etc.. Our team threw away almost every opportunity to sieze a definite advantage with turnovers. In the end Wilson was special, not always perfect, but still you had faith he'd create a W at the end. He did of course.

It'd be nice to see a 40-0 Hawks win after the bye just to show the team doesn't have to always be 'The Cardiac Kids' but this W was especially sweet as few gave them much of shot to win.

I'm jazzed by this W.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Fade":18bu3q7q said:
Hockey Guy":18bu3q7q said:
I kinda called it last game rumination thread.

Carroll was playing possum & unveiled a totally different defensive scheme.

You did, nice call. I thought there was a small chance, but not likely. I am glad they did.

Clowney to Leo, with Jefferson at 5-tech changes everything as well. A nickleback change has to be coming. That position has to get better by default, because it can't get any worse.

PS It's late and I am going to bed. I look forward to reading everyone's comments tomorrow. :D

Gotta admit it was more wishful thinking than anything.

xray

Reaction score
This game came down to a kickers contest and Myers was stone cold on the game winning kick . That guy has been under fire ;but he did his job :!:

WarHawks

Reaction score
The D we saw yesterday vs what we saw just a week ago is like two different teams. If they can keep playing like that, the sky is the limit for this team. Go Hawks!

sc85sis

Reaction score
I think the D picked up due to a combo of a few things: moving Clowney to Leo, Reed shaking the rust off, and Diggs finally seeing the field post-injury. Honestly, everyone played pretty well except 24. I'd love to see who/what else we have at nickel. He's been disappointing.

Right now it sounds as if Lockett will be OK. Adding Gordon into the mix should only help the O (at least in theory).

Clean up the fumbles and this team is shaping up to make a great run into the playoffs.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Pretty much spot on Fade. And just to add for laughs...

76993878_2493591794028571_5859143726063943680_n.jpg

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
raisethe3":zkh5fee3 said:
Pretty much spot on Fade. And just to add for laughs...

76993878_2493591794028571_5859143726063943680_n.jpg
Ha ha that’s awesome!

Jed York doesn’t own the Niners, Russell Wilson does!

andyh64000

Reaction score
xray":9omvwlpb said:
This game came down to a kickers contest and Myers was stone cold on the game winning kick . That guy has been under fire ;but he did his job :!:

He made the kick by less than 2 inches...but he made it. This should be a huge confidence builder for him.

olyfan63

Reaction score
mistaowen":3mjgtbsu said:
Penny is wildly disappointing especially knowing Chubb was available. He may be a #1 for a different team but he just cannot run the style Pete wants. I understand why they took a RB with Carson's injury, hindsight is just a b!@ch.

For sure, Chubb is a better back, like a faster Carson, in hindsight, and Ronald Jones II did a decent job against us for Tampa, got way more touches than Penny and looked solid.

I'm doing my best to hang in there with Penny, but it's just hard to tell if he has the heart, the makeup, to run inside the way Pete wants him to, and hang onto the ball in the process.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
Sherman still plays the run well. Shed DK's block and put a good textbook shot on Lockett.

Is that what you saw? Because from my viewpoint, it looked like he got trucked by No E.

xray

Reaction score
Maybe this was already brought up ; but SF could of taken a knee 3 times on their last possession and forced a tie ; which would of maintained their 2 game lead .

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
chris98251":2yfwgom1 said:
So the question is, how eager are they to come to Seattle now?

The question is... Will they be able to play the remainder of their schedule this hard? They had an early bye week and are hitting the toughest part of their schedule.

Home vs AZ
Home vs GB
At Baltimore
At New Orleans
Home vs Atlanta and The Lambs
THEN they have to come to Seattle?

They're not looking forward to that schedule one bit ESPECIALLY coming to Seattle with the NFC West title on the line. They have the real potential of losing 3-4 games in that stretch.. maybe more. Not to mention, they're starting the rest of the schedule SUPER banged up.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/injuries/_/name/sf

MOCHawk

Reaction score
xray":3qw14v7t said:
Maybe this was already brought up ; but SF could of taken a knee 3 times on their last possession and forced a tie ; which would of maintained their 2 game lead .

People keep saying 2 game lead...it was a 1.5 game lead and now it is a .5 game lead. Losses aren't the only number in the equation.

The point stands that taking a tie would have been better mathematically, but what message does that send to your undefeated team?