What If?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
What If.....

Pete reloads this team and makes them a playoff team again that can make a deep run?

We already know he is done per the brain trust of this forum.

However, let's say PC turns the team around again....will some eat crow? Will YOU BE happy?

Or is it superbowl or bust still?

DJrmb

Reaction score
This is a fair question, and a good topic to discuss. How far does Pete have to get the team to prove he was right in trading Russ, and rebuilding?

For me just making the playoffs is not enough. We already had that with Russ. Russ and Pete had this team in the playoffs just about every year. In my mind for Pete to be "right" he has to accomplish more than just perenial playoffs (1st or second round). He has to get the team to at least the NFC championship game. If he gets there, I'd say he was right. Just getting back to a wildcard, or into the playoffs doesn't cut it in my opinion.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
How many times did the team with Russ and Pete together get to the NFCCG in the last half decade? Come on, DJ, that's not a fair expectation...

If Pete gets this team to the playoffs this year or next, I'd say he's still a top quality coach. If not, and the team endures several 4-13 or 5-12 (or worse) years? It'll be clear he's ready to retire.

If this team ends up solid on D with a strong pass-rush, Penny (et al.) running well, and limiting QB turnovers, we'll make waves.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Kind of silly to ask us if we'd be happy if Pete wins again.

We're Hawk fans first, our opinions on the team, coaches, players, whatever is secondary to the team's success.

HagFaithful

Reaction score
Conversely, what if Russell Wilson fails to make the playoffs in Denver? Does it impact your view of Carroll/Schneider?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
What if I win the lottery?

Is that a great way to plan retirement?

We have watched this for 5 years. For some reason, I am being assured that most of this failure was because of Russ. Ok so we got rid of him, now we won't have that problem.

However, Pete has 2 jobs. He is doing a terrible job at 1 (1 of the worst drafting and roster moves in the league) and apparently the other 1 we aren't getting results at is all being blamed on the guy that is no longer here.

We will see how long that argument holds up as results continue to not appear on both fronts (or at least positive results fail to appear)

But if Pete rebuilds and finds playoff success moving forward, we will all be thrilled.

It won't happen though.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Then Pete-Ball vs Wilson will be settled. The next step is for Pete to never give a QB a second contract and use that money to keep the winning team intact via trades for picks and trades for players.

nanomoz

Reaction score
If Pete and John can build a great defense and offensive line over the next two years, and sniff a division title in 2023, I'd absolutely get back on board.

I just think it's a longshot. And I have hard time understanding how anyone might find that opinion unreasonable.

DJrmb

Reaction score
How many times did the team with Russ and Pete together get to the NFCCG in the last half decade? Come on, DJ, that's not a fair expectation...

If Pete gets this team to the playoffs this year or next, I'd say he's still a top quality coach. If not, and the team endures several 4-13 or 5-12 (or worse) years? It'll be clear he's ready to retire.

If this team ends up solid on D with a strong pass-rush, Penny (et al.) running well, and limiting QB turnovers, we'll make waves.
I beg to differ. The reason to get rid of Russ (and keep Pete) was because we hit a wall and couldn't get further than just being a perennial playoff team. Pete's answer was to trade Russ. His goal is not to just make a playoff team, or not not lose. His goal is to win another SB, and in his opinion the way to do that was to trade the QB. The way to be Better, was to trade the QB. In that case the only way to prove that he was right is to do better with the team than he could with that QB the last few seasons...

I am in not way saying Pete is a bad coach (I'm not part of that crowd). Not even if it turns out Pete did make the wrong call in trading Russ, that he is then a bad coach. However, the only way to prove he was right in trading Russ, is to improve beyond what they could do with Russ and his contract. I think Pete would 100% agree with that. He is believing and working for a SB, not just to be a wild card team again. I think even Pete would say if that's as far as they can get, then they failed. They could have continued making wild cards with Russ... I'm also not saying he has to do it in the 1st year or even 2nd, but before he retires if he gets the team back to a NFCCG then he was proven right in my opinion...

Frozenropers1

Reaction score
What if I win the lottery?

Is that a great way to plan retirement?

We have watched this for 5 years. For some reason, I am being assured that most of this failure was because of Russ. Ok so we got rid of him, now we won't have that problem.

However, Pete has 2 jobs. He is doing a terrible job at 1 (1 of the worst drafting and roster moves in the league) and apparently the other 1 we aren't getting results at is all being blamed on the guy that is no longer here.

We will see how long that argument holds up as results continue to not appear on both fronts (or at least positive results fail to appear)

But if Pete rebuilds and finds playoff success moving forward, we will all be thrilled.

It won't happen though.
I hear the blame being placed on Wilson from others, but I am a bit confused by it as well. Yes, Russ has his faults, but he is still a top 5 or top 10 QB. Plain and simple. IMO, I think our larger issue the past 4-5 years has been our DC. KNJ was great as a LB coach…..he has never been a good DC, In Oakland or Seattle. That was our team‘s fatal flaw the last 4-5 years.

I was glad to see Pete finally admit that by cutting bait and moving on from KNJ and even more so I am looking forward to the defense switch to a more true 3-4 alignment and back to a more aggressiveness style.

ideally, that change would have included keeping Russ on the offensive side of the ball. Unfortunately, that isn’t going to happen for any number of reasons or irreconcilable differences Between Russ and the Organization.

Given the scary change in QB salary scale this offseason along with WR scale……combined with the irreconcilable differences, I can see where it made sense to trade Russ now.

John63

Reaction score
For me its 2nd the round of the playoffs. the reason is simple some on here said that Wilson was the reason we could not get beyond the 1st round, and PC is god. So simply get to the 2nd round, this year. Why this year simple were 7-9 with a Qb missing 3 games and playing hurt for 4 more. Just the season before we were 12-4. So given supposedly Wilson was the problem Wilson is gone he has complete control 2nd round of the playoffs minimum.

Reactions: PNW

DJrmb

Reaction score
Conversely, what if Russell Wilson fails to make the playoffs in Denver? Does it impact your view of Carroll/Schneider?
I think what Russ does in Denver is going to definitely effect how we look at Pete/John. Both ways though. If he stinks it up it gives more clout to Pete/John and to those playoff/SB teams around Russ. However, if he tears it up down there? Then it does make Pete look like maybe the game had passed him by like some have suggested.

Frozenropers1

Reaction score
I don’t think either side on the Pete/Schneider team or the Russ team will be happy on this. Maybe both Organizations have some modicum of success next season but neither has as much as expected.

Flat out, the AFC West is going to be a gauntlet next season.

I would have thought the Rams would have regressed more this coming season due to Salary cap issues…..but they just signed BWags….🙈

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I would always rather be wrong and have the team succeed then to be right and see them lose.

i want a team that is a consistent threat to get to and win the conference championship game. We have only been a threat to get TO the playoffs and no further for far too long.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
the reason is simple some on here said that Wilson was the reason we could not get beyond the 1st round
They did it in the 2019, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, and the 2010 seasons. They only lost wild card games twice in that span. They only lost two wild card games over that span.

Carroll's overall situation:

Divisional Round+: 7 Seasons
Wild Card Loss: 2 Seasons
Missed Playoffs: 3 Seasons

To the greater point of this thread: What is the time frame of this question? This whole thing seems pretty moot until they find a QB. That may never happen in many of our lifetimes. It's possible for this team to be comparable to what it was, but the probabilities are really against it.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
If Pete and John can build a great defense and offensive line over the next two years, and sniff a division title in 2023, I'd absolutely get back on board.

I just think it's a longshot. And I have hard time understanding how anyone might find that opinion unreasonable.
This.

I'd be as tickled pink to get back to the playoffs at all in the reasonably near future with Pete at the helm as I'd be surprised.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I beg to differ. The reason to get rid of Russ (and keep Pete) was because we hit a wall and couldn't get further than just being a perennial playoff team. Pete's answer was to trade Russ. His goal is not to just make a playoff team, or not not lose. His goal is to win another SB, and in his opinion the way to do that was to trade the QB. The way to be Better, was to trade the QB. In that case the only way to prove that he was right is to do better with the team than he could with that QB the last few seasons...

I am in not way saying Pete is a bad coach (I'm not part of that crowd). Not even if it turns out Pete did make the wrong call in trading Russ, that he is then a bad coach. However, the only way to prove he was right in trading Russ, is to improve beyond what they could do with Russ and his contract. I think Pete would 100% agree with that. He is believing and working for a SB, not just to be a wild card team again. I think even Pete would say if that's as far as they can get, then they failed. They could have continued making wild cards with Russ... I'm also not saying he has to do it in the 1st year or even 2nd, but before he retires if he gets the team back to a NFCCG then he was proven right in my opinion...

Then I think we fundamentally agree. I gave a time-frame of 1-2 years getting back to the playoffs. You pushed that to the NFCCG before retiring. Both could be the case, and I would think it successful.