What if the NFL admitted it was fake?

Would you stop watching/going to the Seahawks games if it was fake?

• Yes, I would stop watching the Hawks

Votes: 36 50.7%
  • No, I would keep watching the Hawks

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I might turn on the game but I would be less involved

Votes: 25 35.2%

• Total voters

thegameq

Reaction score
I think it is more likely than not that the NFL intentionally steers games. Acceptance of this (along with other declines in the quality of the product) has led to me seeing less entertainment value in the NFL and reducing my consumption. If it were verified that they steer it would not impact my consumption further.

I think fake is too strong of a word. I don't think that the games or seasons are scripted.

I don't think they are out to get this team or that team. I think they are out to maximize profit. Sometimes that means improving a team's (or player's) chances of winning. Sometimes it means trying to keep a team in a game longer.
Well said. It's a business and they are trying to maximize their profits. The whole "letting them play" or "calling it tight" is code for " we want to present a good product for entertainment purposes". Lopsided games serve no purpose, so the league must present the facade of "there's always a chance" to their fans.

As for the OP's question.....

Back in the early 90's my brother and law and I went to Madison Square Garden to see WWF wrestling. Needless to say we were big wrestling fans and we were so pumped to see the WWF stars in person. To tell us that wrestling was fake would have been to court death. We were wrestling fans from the days of Bruno Sammartino to Bob Backlund. We had great seats at ring level so we could see all of the action up close. As always the evening started with a couple of "payday" matches to whet the fans appetite. During one of these matches, one of the wrestlers jumped in the air to perform a drop kick and missed by a country mile. His opponent dropped to the canvas like he had been struck by a baseball bat. Everyone in our section had the same reaction: "WTF?! He missed.........?!" We enjoyed the rest of the evening as rabid wrestling fans should. But make no mistake, I never viewed wrestling the same after that fateful night. My interest slowly waned as I simply could not take wrestling serious anymore. The stakes were fake, the outcomes pre-determined.

Wrestling is dead to me now.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
let's not kid ourselves. certain games are already getting "steered" in certain directions.

it's not dissimilar from how the nfl changes/enforces the rules to modify the product it's "selling". remember in the early 2000's (and after superbowl 48 as well ) the nfl dramatically changed the rules to increase scoring in games. probably all for ratings purposes.

rjdriver

Reaction score
If you watch the Tim Donaghy documentary, there is conclusive evidence (backed by video) that supports the tacit favoring of star players and the purposeful collective intent of officials to weigh their calls differently depending on the situation. To be clear, I'm not referring to the illegal betting on the games for which he was convicted.

It would be silly, if not ignorant, to think this is exclusive to basketball. Hell, most professional officials have experience officiating multiple sports.

So sure there is some wink wink going on from time to time, but some grand conspiracy? Nah.

With regards to the Saints/Rams call. I'm reminded of the famous quote "'Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence". I think some refs are just coward chicken shits who are afraid to throw a flag in pressure situations. Dude froze up and didn't want to take responsibility for what he saw. He should have been put on immediate probation until he learned to grow a pair.

The Stealers game though? That was some magic "pristine" bullet type stuff, so who knows.

OP
OP
S

Spohawks

Reaction score
I have. No substance at all.
Okay. What is the minimum examples from different NFL players/coaches would you need from me that were saying in some fashion "Its not a fair game" "Its fixed" its scripted" and such before you would say "Okay, I am not in the NFL, but these guys are, if this many are openly saying its fixed, then its fixed"?

cymatica

Reaction score
Please look up the 2002 Western Conference Finals where the Sacramento Kings got it worse than we did.
1993 Semifinals where the Sun's were given 64 free throw attempts to the Sonics 36 so the NBA could have their MVP Barkley vs Jordan narrative.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
10-3 not bad for a team that can't recruit
Wait a sec......they get recruited.....in a way. FYI....I finally shaved off the green beard but it keeps growing back green. Assistance would be appreciated. LOL

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Denver screwed the pooch, they didn't grease the palms of the Powers that be in the NFL...Guess maybe they thought that because of all the hype about Russell Wilson going to a loaded team by the talking heads before the season even started, & that Russ was going to deliver them another Super Season...I guess maybe Russ didn't get the memo, eh?
LEARN HOW TO BE A BETTER FAKE MAN, & STICK TO THE DAMNED SCRIPT WILSON!!!