What if the NFL admitted it was fake?

Would you stop watching/going to the Seahawks games if it was fake?

• Yes, I would stop watching the Hawks

Votes: 36 50.7%
  • No, I would keep watching the Hawks

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I might turn on the game but I would be less involved

Votes: 25 35.2%

• Total voters

Cyrus12

Reaction score
No way would they admit to it but no I wouldn't watch...steering for certain teams is absolutely real and I have a hard time getting passed that. Unless people here think xl* was legit or more recently the hold on Logan Wilson in the last super bowl?????..

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Goodell wasn't commissioner when Super Bowl XL happened. He became commissioner about seven months after that game.

There was a woman who grew up in the same town in Maine where I grew up, and she was a friend of a bunch of my friends. She was a Patriots fan because, well, Maine, and she was also a Saints fan for some reason (I'm not criticizing - I grew up in Maine and I was the only Seahawks fan I knew). I asked her how she felt about Goodell, given how much he had always helped the Patriots, but harmed the Saints. She agreed with me on both points and strongly disliked Goodell even though he's basically been Kraft's guy in the NFL office.
I'm surprised a legacy team fan would say that...most fans of legacy teams think everything is above board.

cymatica

Reaction score
You might as well say "If the moon was made of cheese, would you take a bite".

In order to believe the NFL is "fake", you would have to believe that college and HS football is fake as well.....and that all players and coaches are in on it....all through their careers.

While some bias and/or corrupt referees might intentionally influence the outcome of a game, it would be a huge conspiracy of enormous magnitude to completely rig the NFL to the point where every game is predetermined.

Your premise is completely false. You can still have a majority of players playing for reals. You would only need a select number of individuals in key positions to steer games. So many games are decided by a handful of plays, you don't need everyone in on it.

Look at the blown PI call in the Saints Rams playoff game and tell me that wasn't intentionally missed. Sorry but no logical person can claim that was an honest mistake.

Mix

Reaction score
Probably because the officiating is so bad that people can't help but wonder. I don't see why people think it's outside the realm of possibility
Yup people are no longer willing to accept that humans make mistakes.

Any mistake must be made with malicious intent.

Cyrus12

Reaction score

So xl* was just honest mistakes?? Win one for the bus in his hometown..get Cowher a title before he retires?? Lots of storybook endings in that one..

Mix

Reaction score
So xl* was just honest mistakes?? Win one for the bus in his hometown..get Cowher a title before he retires?? Lots of storybook endings in that one..
Yes it was just honest mistakes. Shitty officiating happens, sometimes its in the biggest game.

Losing fans tend to put the conspiracy narrative forth that helps them cope the best.

Mix

Reaction score
While I dont think games are wwf style...I disagree with you..that game was officiated with only one team having a chance to win.
I have no problem with you disagreeing.

If people want to believe in conspiracies in absence of facts, who am I to stop them.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't see how I could really care about a theatric performance. I might tune in here and there? Wouldn't give a crap about the draft or anything.

Good thing this is purely hypothetical, as it'd be impossible to truly rig a league as large as this. NDA or no, it'd come out. Games are lightly steered by the league office, nothing more or less imo.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Ooh a double conspiracy!
Thats right..anything called out that goes against the grain is a conspiracy. Imo the evidence has been long established that steering exists. Do we need the nfl to verify in order to believe it??

fenderbender123

Reaction score
On that Saints play, I think the ref had to make a judgment call on whether or not the ball was already at or (even just slightly) past the receiver when the contact was made. I'm sure replay shows it wasn't, but I can see why that's a tough call to make in real time, and why the ref erred on the side of not throwing it considering the impact.

Mix

Reaction score
Thats right..anything called out that goes against the grain is a conspiracy.
Nice strawman statement. I never made this claim.
Imo the evidence has been long established that steering exists.
Please provide it. I need more than your opinion.
Do we need the nfl to verify in order to believe it??
Yes, that would atleast be called factual proof.

Otherwise you are "believing" in a conspiracy.

Feelings/Emotions/Assumptions/Guesses/Opinions vs Factual Data.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
I think it is more likely than not that the NFL intentionally steers games. Acceptance of this (along with other declines in the quality of the product) has led to me seeing less entertainment value in the NFL and reducing my consumption. If it were verified that they steer it would not impact my consumption further.

I think fake is too strong of a word. I don't think that the games or seasons are scripted.

I don't think they are out to get this team or that team. I think they are out to maximize profit. Sometimes that means improving a team's (or player's) chances of winning. Sometimes it means trying to keep a team in a game longer.

Aircrew

Reaction score
I don't think the NFL is "fake", but there's clearly an agenda from the League Office. My fan innocence was over when the disgrace that was Super Bowl XL transpired. Then the flag protest bullsh*t which segued right into the woke horsesh*t. I'm such a casual fan now that I really only watch the NFL if the Hawks are on or it's the Super Bowl. And even then, I give it about the same amount of attention as seeing a couple bums fighting in an alley over a cigarette butt. Pro sports lost me a long time ago, I'm still around because at one time I genuinely loved my Seahawks.

cymatica

Reaction score

Really dude? If you think the Rams Saints PI no call was just a mistake, then you are either completely gullible or in denial, kind of like someone who thinks the corrupt policies of a corrupt politician are just honest mistakes

Mix

Reaction score
Really dude? If you think the Rams Saints PI no call was just a mistake, then you are either completely gullible or in denial, kind of like someone who thinks the corrupt policies of a corrupt politician are just honest mistakes
I think it was a mistake. A terrible game costing mistake.

If you want to believe it's fixed then go ahead.

Sorry my position has triggered you.

m0ng0

Reaction score
I don't buy in to the it's all rigged stuff, my interest is just not the same as it used to be. The political nonsense got me more than anything else. I still watch most hawks game but I could care less about the rest of the league.