What do we know about the Giants?

eric12401

Reaction score
pehawk":1f71s719 said:
I agree on Beckham, by the way. I think he'll end up the most talented WR Eli's ever played with. Honestly, I always thought the production was more about Eli than his WR's.

You think this is it for Coughlin if they don't make the playoffs?

Would Mr Mara mind if I sent marriage proposals to his daughters? It'll be classy, via a letter. I'll cut out the letters from the magazines myself.

I think Reese (the GM) and Coughlin are both done after this year, depending on how they finish out the year. I think a sub .500 record and at least one will be gone. If they somehow bomb out and lose every game, then I think they'll wipe the slate clean with the office and coaching staffs.

And you could try, I'm sure they've had a few already though.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
eric12401":1bqsqemi said:
As a Giants fan, here's what you need to know about the Giants.

1) Eli has been pretty efficient in the "West Coast" offense they've installed, though they've been getting away from it recently. He's only thrown 5 INTs all year surprisingly.

2) The O-Line is atrocious, if they're not giving up sacks, they're letting pressure come through, giving Eli no time to set up anything.

3) The run game without Jennings has been one of the worst in the league.

4) We're towards the top of the league defensively with INTs.

5) The entire backfield is riddled with injuries. No Amukamara, DRC is nicked up, Thurmond and McBride both out... Journeymen playing in the slot.

6) This defense is EXTREMELY susceptible to the big play. It's pretty frustrating to watch.

7) Beckham Jr. is turning out to be more than what they hoped for, this kid is going to be a force for years to come.

I'm sure there's more... but there's a general idea of what you get to face. Good luck this weekend folks!

Thurmond is out. Who's shocked?

eric12401

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1ptwgppi said:
eric12401":1ptwgppi said:

1) Eli has been pretty efficient in the "West Coast" offense they've installed, though they've been getting away from it recently. He's only thrown 5 INTs all year surprisingly.

2) The O-Line is atrocious, if they're not giving up sacks, they're letting pressure come through, giving Eli no time to set up anything.

5) The entire backfield is riddled with injuries. No Amukamara, DRC is nicked up, Thurmond and McBride both out... Journeymen playing in the slot.

6) This defense is EXTREMELY susceptible to the big play. It's pretty frustrating to watch.

7) Beckham Jr. is turning out to be more than what they hoped for, this kid is going to be a force for years to come.

I'm sure there's more... but there's a general idea of what you get to face. Good luck this weekend folks!

Tore his pec in Week 2.

Exittium

Reaction score
eric12401":ef4nz9vm said:
Grahamhawker":ef4nz9vm said:
eric12401":ef4nz9vm said:

Tore his pec in Week 2.

Well they signed him to a 1yr deal due to his injury history.. wonder if he'll what jersey he'll be in next yr.
Not saying I want him back (wouldnt be a bad backup) But i think lane as starter and burley is working quiet fine.. or will be when lane is back. Burley has done very well for getting a trial by fire.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":15i3dhxy said:
Hawks46":15i3dhxy said:
They might actually be more injured and beat up than we are.

I couldn't tell you what you'll see from their offense from one week to the next, but if we can get any pressure on Eli at all, it's going to be a long day for him.

I see us winning this game, but I couldn't tell you how big. Our propensity to take a massive dump on offense as soon as we're up 2 TD's doesn't lead us to blowing teams out.

Word.

What's the point of sticking with the run for 3 quarters, only to pass up 14 with 4 minutes left?
So Bevell can play with his toys in the sandbox?
Makes ZERO freakin' sense to me otherwise, especially when you have had success running the Beast most of the game and need to eat up clock as well.

IrishNW

Reaction score
That one corner they have finally lost his virginity and is playing with some swag. At least that's what I hear anyways. That about sums up their season

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I heard some crazy stat that Coughlin is 6-2 on west coast road trips since 2007.

Agreed on the blitzing, it reeks of desperation from a team built around the concept of send 4 and cover.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Giants are coming in to win one for that old bastard, so, they'll bring it.

It wouldn't matter if the Giants were so depleted the asked me to dust off my cleats and reenact Jason Seahorn of the East side one more time. The Seahawks don't adjust offensively. They just don't.

The offensive strategy vs the Giants was set weeks ago as far as Bevells concerned. Stubborn or stupid, you pick.

I played the game, you don't know.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1xx0fahr said:
I heard some crazy stat that Coughlin is 6-2 on west coast road trips since 2007.

Agreed on the blitzing, it reeks of desperation from a team built around the concept of send 4 and cover.
But that goes though when the Giants were making playoffs and winning SBs--has nothing to do with the current team.

SeaChase

Reaction score
I know we spanked them last year in their own house, and then went back and won the Super Bowl ...

NINEster

Reaction score
Scottemojo":l9rlg6j4 said:

As a Niner fan, the Giants have been my hated team of choice in the NFL. Anyone who has watched the NFL since 1981 at least would understand why. From 1992 till 2000, the two teams were not on the same page with being great/sucky together, then had a nice battle for two seasons before the Giants got decent and the 49ers faded for a decade. The 2011 season re-ignited an old rivalry that picked up immediately where it left off.

I also happened to live in NYC after leaving SF from '85 to '10, so I know quite a bit about the NY Football Giants.

The '08 Giants were a strong team, well built like the recent 49er/Seahawk teams -- strong OL, RB, and defense with a good but not spectacular QB. They had the Plax incident, and Eli played like crap against the Eagles in the playoffs, one and done in a fashion very similar to his brother.

'09 missed playoffs.

'10 a decent team that had a strong offense, strong defense, knocked out a lot of QBs. Missed playoffs after dropping last two games against Eagles (huge blown lead and Desean Jackson punt return), and then crushed by Packers.

'11 was a hot/cold team. Not built very well as a TEAM, but had 3 great WRs, Eli playing top football in stretches, and a sick pass rush. With some good coaching and game planning they were able to beat good teams on the way to a championship.

But that team had flaws, and each year since they've gotten exposed more and more. Losing Manningham and Jacobs the first year. JPP no longer a dominant player. Tuck and Osi not quite the same players. Post SB hangover? Probably.

Nicks got hurt early in that season and was no longer the great Hakeem Nicks. He switched spots with Michael Crabtree who was drafted the same year.....suddenly NIcks was very mediocre and Crabs had a dominant run.

No Manningham, a hobbled Nicks.....Cruz was focused on and taken away. A great deep threat and fast in space Cruz is, but he's not and never was a true outside guy that could carry a team.

The next year Bradshaw is gone and now that last piece of that old offensive core is gone. Osi gone too. Offensive line was close to being subpar in 2011 and had gotten worse the last two years.

Team just got shell shocked and regressed. Last good teams they beat were in mid 2012....49ers and Packers. But since then nothing.

As far as your comment about "send four and cover", their last great pass rush died after their last super bowl appearance, temporarily revived in those 49er and Packer games.

Enough of a struggle, and players start to question things (hmmm, sounds familiar).

Biggest issue there is that this team is a lot more fractured than the 49ers and Seahawks are, locker room wise. The old Giants could be 4-4 like the 49ers are now, with a bunch of games that could have gotten either way.....now they are just uncompetitive in these big games. They were starting to look tough prior to the Eagles game and got slapped around in shocking fashion.

I don't see Eli getting picked off 5 times this weekend and shut out because I do feel this team is definitely better than last year. But a return to the playoffs? Tough sell this year with SEA, SF, and DAL awaiting.

Of course I fully expect the Giants to play the 49ers tough, even if the 49ers were 6-2 this year and Kap playing like an MVP, because the football gods always arrange for that to happen.

The Giants haven't had the Seahawks # in awhile, so I'd imagine they lose this weekend in a better effort than last year. Say 23-10.

Hawks46

Reaction score
pehawk":2jfmujq1 said:
eric12401":2jfmujq1 said:

Thank you Mr. Kirby we all appreciate it.

Beat me to it. Thanks for the info. I don't really have a lot of hate for the Giants, like some here. Not like I like em, but don't really hate em either.

SeahawkFrost

Reaction score
The giants didn't they just win the world series? They must be pretty good then. :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
NINEster":2v6gm8jl said:
Scottemojo":2v6gm8jl said:

As a Niner fan, the Giants have been my hated team of choice in the NFL. Anyone who has watched the NFL since 1981 at least would understand why. From 1992 till 2000, the two teams were not on the same page with being great/sucky together, then had a nice battle for two seasons before the Giants got decent and the 49ers faded for a decade. The 2011 season re-ignited an old rivalry that picked up immediately where it left off.

I also happened to live in NYC after leaving SF from '85 to '10, so I know quite a bit about the NY Football Giants.

The '08 Giants were a strong team, well built like the recent 49er/Seahawk teams -- strong OL, RB, and defense with a good but not spectacular QB. They had the Plax incident, and Eli played like crap against the Eagles in the playoffs, one and done in a fashion very similar to his brother.

'09 missed playoffs.

'10 a decent team that had a strong offense, strong defense, knocked out a lot of QBs. Missed playoffs after dropping last two games against Eagles (huge blown lead and Desean Jackson punt return), and then crushed by Packers.

'11 was a hot/cold team. Not built very well as a TEAM, but had 3 great WRs, Eli playing top football in stretches, and a sick pass rush. With some good coaching and game planning they were able to beat good teams on the way to a championship.

But that team had flaws, and each year since they've gotten exposed more and more. Losing Manningham and Jacobs the first year. JPP no longer a dominant player. Tuck and Osi not quite the same players. Post SB hangover? Probably.

Nicks got hurt early in that season and was no longer the great Hakeem Nicks. He switched spots with Michael Crabtree who was drafted the same year.....suddenly NIcks was very mediocre and Crabs had a dominant run.

No Manningham, a hobbled Nicks.....Cruz was focused on and taken away. A great deep threat and fast in space Cruz is, but he's not and never was a true outside guy that could carry a team.

The next year Bradshaw is gone and now that last piece of that old offensive core is gone. Osi gone too. Offensive line was close to being subpar in 2011 and had gotten worse the last two years.

Team just got shell shocked and regressed. Last good teams they beat were in mid 2012....49ers and Packers. But since then nothing.

As far as your comment about "send four and cover", their last great pass rush died after their last super bowl appearance, temporarily revived in those 49er and Packer games.

Enough of a struggle, and players start to question things (hmmm, sounds familiar).

Biggest issue there is that this team is a lot more fractured than the 49ers and Seahawks are, locker room wise. The old Giants could be 4-4 like the 49ers are now, with a bunch of games that could have gotten either way.....now they are just uncompetitive in these big games. They were starting to look tough prior to the Eagles game and got slapped around in shocking fashion.

I don't see Eli getting picked off 5 times this weekend and shut out because I do feel this team is definitely better than last year. But a return to the playoffs? Tough sell this year with SEA, SF, and DAL awaiting.

Of course I fully expect the Giants to play the 49ers tough, even if the 49ers were 6-2 this year and Kap playing like an MVP, because the football gods always arrange for that to happen.

The Giants haven't had the Seahawks # in awhile, so I'd imagine they lose this weekend in a better effort than last year. Say 23-10.

I understand. I'd hate the Giants if they broke Wilson as they did Montana. I loved those Parcells vs Walsh match ups.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Based off my Madden game last night, if you blitz too much Eli will light up your secondary. lol.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":2pi1ea0i said:
eric12401":2pi1ea0i said:

Stole my thunder. But, makes me feel a hell of a lot better about not paying Thurmond and letting someone else take the cap hit for a constantly injured player, instead of having that money in players who are on the field.

It would be interesting if someone had a study/metric about what percent of a team's salary cap (for the current season) was available to play on the field at any given time. Sort of a team health meter.