What did Philly have that Seattle lacked?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Three things the Seahawks will hopefully have this year that they didn't have the last few years:

1. An offensive coordinator in Brian Schottenheimer who understand how to establish offensive rhythm through a diverse offensive attack and focused running game.

2. Better running backs with the return of Chris Carson and hopefully another addition in the draft.

3. Improved offensive line play with an offensive line coach in Mike Solari who is focused on technique and fundamentals, a Pro Bowler at LT in Duane Brown, a solid center in Justin Britt, the return of George Fant, promising play by Jordan Roos, and hopefully the move of Germain Ifedi inside to guard.

Steve2222

Reaction score
hawkman":2yfv0od7 said:
Not only does Phily have most of pieces locked up for awhile, they will most likely add two first round pics on rookie contracts for the QB they choose to trade. They are definitely sitting pretty for the next few years.

The QB they decide to trade? Lmao they’re not trading Wentz.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Far superior team than current version of Seahawks at nearly every level.

Stout run game. Disciplined D. Very capable pocket QB.

And as important as any of the above...coaching-coaching-coaching.

hawkman

Reaction score
Steve2222":2bd8ayz7 said:
hawkman":2bd8ayz7 said:
Not only does Phily have most of pieces locked up for awhile, they will most likely add two first round pics on rookie contracts for the QB they choose to trade. They are definitely sitting pretty for the next few years.

The QB they decide to trade? Lmao they’re not trading Wentz.

I believe you are probably right. If it was just the SB that Foles played like this in it would be a no brainer, but it wasn’t. No guarantee the Eagles are champs right now if Wentz stayed heathy. I believe the trade value for each guy will be figured in the equation.

Seymour

Reaction score
mrt144":17p2qyir said:
1. A running game
2. A coach that looked at a player who previously flourished using a specific setup on plays to succeed above expectations - RPO
3. An offensive line
4. A defense that got an essential turnover when needed.

Thread answer winner. :2thumbs:

Hawkpower

Reaction score
semiahmoo":zq3vfyw7 said:

I keep reading this.....and Philly is good.....but the head to head result speaks for itself.

Teams that are "far superior" dont get spanked on the field like the Eagles did when we played them.

The hyperbole to make some kind of point here is a bit over the top.

Seahawkville

Reaction score
It's simple, they got pressure from their DL at the end of the game where everyone is used to seeing Tommy Boy do his thing. The strip sack was a game breaker. The Hawks DL disappeared in the SB 49 game late.

hawkman

Reaction score
Hawkpower":2oa102du said:
semiahmoo":2oa102du said:

I keep reading this.....and Philly is good.....but the head to head result speaks for itself.

Teams that are "far superior" dont get spanked on the field like the Eagles did when we played them.

The hyperbole to make some kind of point here is a bit over the top.

I don’t think you can ever place to much importance on one game for comparison purposes. I believe UW was a far superior team to ASU this season, yet ASU made UW look like a bottom feeder. The Rams may be a better team than the Hawks at this point in time, but definitely not 42-7 better. Seems like most good teams have a game like that every year. This year the Eagles had theirs against the Hawks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawkman":26qnwgr8 said:
I don’t think you can ever place to much importance on one game for comparison purposes. I believe UW was a far superior team to ASU this season, yet ASU made UW look like a bottom feeder. The Rams may be a better team than the Hawks at this point in time, but definitely not 42-7 better. Seems like most good teams have a game like that every year. This year the Eagles had theirs against the Hawks.

Very true, but the Hawks pounding the Eagles, and Eagles beating the Pats just shows us what a parity league the NFL is............and why things like scheme, playcalling, coaching, preparation and execution is usually what decide games..........and not so much the talent disparity on the field.

It's literally how the Patriots have remained on top for 15 years, and also why the Eagles won last night. Great coaching, preparation and executed more clutch plays than the Patriots.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Wait, are we desiring to be Philly now? I thought the mold was the Patriots. Or maybe the Rams.

hawkman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24e49rqh said:
hawkman":24e49rqh said:

Very true, but the Hawks pounding the Eagles, and Eagles beating the Pats just shows us what a parity league the NFL is............and why things like scheme, playcalling, coaching, preparation and execution is usually what decide games..........and not so much the talent disparity on the field.

It's literally how the Patriots have remained on top for 15 years, and also why the Eagles won last night. Great coaching, preparation and executed more clutch plays than the Patriots.

All very good points.

mistaowen

Reaction score
This really comes down to the Eagles have a great offensive line and can run the ball. Foles threw the most play action passes in (playoff/SB?) history yesterday with amazing success because of how well they ran the ball. Seahawks defense thrives playing with the lead, the offense couldn't score points before the third quarter to save their lives. Seahawks want to run the ball and hit chunk plays with play action, Seahawks tried to stick with running the ball and couldn't, play action doesn't work if defenses don't care about running, Seahawks found themselves in MANY 3rd and long situations.

Putting any defense on the field for most of every game is going to be an ugly season, especially if you lack the talent on the defensive roster which the Hawks actually have. It's amazing they weren't blown out more times where the offense barely breaks 100 total yards.

Fix the run game to just league average, give the defense a lead, and we'll see the Seahawks of old.

ivotuk

Reaction score
mistaowen":1ggyewor said:
This really comes down to the Eagles have a great offensive line and can run the ball. Foles threw the most play action passes in (playoff/SB?) history yesterday with amazing success because of how well they ran the ball. Seahawks defense thrives playing with the lead, the offense couldn't score points before the third quarter to save their lives. Seahawks want to run the ball and hit chunk plays with play action, Seahawks tried to stick with running the ball and couldn't, play action doesn't work if defenses don't care about running, Seahawks found themselves in MANY 3rd and long situations.

Putting any defense on the field for most of every game is going to be an ugly season, especially if you lack the talent on the defensive roster which the Hawks actually have. It's amazing they weren't blown out more times where the offense barely breaks 100 total yards.

Fix the run game to just league average, give the defense a lead, and we'll see the Seahawks of old.

While I agree that Philly has some great DL talent, especially Fletcher Cox, they didn't show up yesterday until 2:14 in the 4th quarter. It was a great play by Brandon Graham, but had Foles struggled at all Sunday, NE would be celebrating another Superbowl win.

mistaowen

Reaction score
ivotuk":fbhe4z6j said:
mistaowen":fbhe4z6j said:

While I agree that Philly has some great DL talent, especially Fletcher Cox, they didn't show up yesterday until 2:14 in the 4th quarter. It was a great play by Brandon Graham, but had Foles struggled at all Sunday, NE would be celebrating another Superbowl win.

Hmm? I mentioned their offensive line not DL :D though their DL is quite good and deep. I really thought they would have had a much better showing and ultimately be the reason if the Eagles did win, but they were all missing. Being good in the trenches is so important in the NFL today.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Yes I thought the Eagles won in spite of their defense. I thought defense wins championships? Not yesterday. Clearly Foles and the offense (and great play calling) won them their first championship. The Pats OL looked like men among boys all day long. I so badly want Russ to have that kind of line!

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The biggest difference? Probably the guy calling the plays. They also have a lot of young guys fighting hard to prove themselves and make their names. Now everybody will want to be paid and they will lose much of their depth.

D

DomeHawk

RussB":5rfvobuy said:
Big reliable #1 reciever and a deadly run game.

Good point re: receiver. Someone mentioned that if Foles had a bad game it would be another NE SB win, but I don't think the receivers and TE are getting enough credit. Especially the WR's, who made some great (clutch) catches.