What did Philly have that Seattle lacked?

Rat

Reaction score
I think we're pretty close to Philly. They're only better than us at offense, defense, special teams, and coaching.

kf3339

Reaction score
Everything about their offense was just head and shoulders above what the Seahawks have put on the field the last few years.

OL play
RB play
TE play
Offensive playcalling and schemes
In game and half time adjustments where needed

Their defense didn't really do anything to stop Brady until the last strip sack play. That was the game changer.

Could we have done the same thing to the Patriots with our current team and coaching staff? IMO Nope.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Philly is very disciplined and don't beat themselves. I don't remember even ONE holding call

They completely control the trenches. They may not have sacked Brady but they made him uncomfortable. Their O-line pushes people around. That is what makes them such an elite team, their D-line and O-line

The Eagles also have a ballsy coach. Pete would have taken a field goal on the 1 yard line on 4th down. Pete would not have gone for it on 4th & 1 near the 45

lukerguy

Reaction score
Good offensive line coach (still were good despite losing All pro LT Peters)
Incredible play design and play calling.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Philly is like 7 deep in the DL for rushing the passer. Their OL also has two All Pros on it. Doug Pederson is also a master play caller....so a lot

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Now that there is a new offensive coaching staff, hopefully the Seahawks can return to establishing a power running game.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1936qgfp said:
Philly is very disciplined and don't beat themselves. I don't remember even ONE holding call

They completely control the trenches. They may not have sacked Brady but they made him uncomfortable. Their O-line pushes people around. That is what makes them such an elite team, their D-line and O-line

The Eagles also have a ballsy coach. Pete would have taken a field goal on the 1 yard line on 4th down. Pete would not have gone for it on 4th & 1 near the 45

Nah, but he would have faked the field goal and watched Luke Willson get tackled.

Execution. That's the difference.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Philly had a more balanced approach and better overall team and they got points at the end when it mattered most. Their backup QB didn't turn the ball over when it mattered most either.

It was awesome to see golden boy fail not just once, but twice with the game on the line. And a backup journeyman did all the right things, no less.

Plain and simple, the better TEAM won.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Steve2222":2di1zlqf said:
Philly is like 7 deep in the DL for rushing the passer. Their OL also has two All Pros on it. Doug Pederson is also a master play caller....so a lot

Good point, and might be THE main reason we faded in SB 49..............after Cliff went out our D-Line no longer could get pressure on Brady, and he picked us apart.

If you want to beat Brady, you gotta hit him and make him uncomfortable, and Philly had the front seven and depth to do that. Brady STILL threw for almost 600 yards, but never had the explosive plays or could hit the clutch throw down the stretch.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1546i3f7 said:
Steve2222":1546i3f7 said:

Good point, and might be THE main reason we faded in SB 49..............after Cliff went out our D-Line no longer could get pressure on Brady, and he picked us apart.

If you want to beat Brady, you gotta hit him and make him uncomfortable, and Philly had the front seven and depth to do that. Brady STILL threw for almost 600 yards, but never had the explosive plays or could hit the clutch throw down the stretch.

Yeah. The biggest reason the Eagles won last night was their offense just had so much rhythm. Our offense this year had no rhythm ever due in part to having a ****y OL and scrub HBs.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They played to WIN instead of playing to not lose. Unlike what the Hawks and Falcons did. Gotta' play aggressive for 4 quarters. Doug P is the coach of the year imo, he outcoached the best we've ever seen. Very impressive. And Foles was nails, yet again.

xgeoff

Reaction score
original poster":3f6xuvdc said:
A run game
Offensive lineman
Excellent play calling
3rd down conversions
Tight end that delivered all over the field
Brutal defensive front 4
Better depth
Adequate kicker
More hunger in the locker room
Excellent execution
Fans that eat horse poo (Youtube it)
Disciplined on the penalties

I agree with all of this. However, I think it's interesting to consider that except for a couple of missed FG's, I think the Seahawks would have been in the Super Bowl instead of the Eagles. I'm not ignoring the many, many flaws that the Seahawks had this season. The coaching and playcalling was a mess. The Offensive Line was atrocious. The team lacked discipline at critical moments.

And for all of that, we still should have been 11-5 at the worst. Fix some of those other issues and this could very well have been a dominant season for the Seahawks. Woulda coulda shoulda, but it is fascinating (and frustrating) to think of what might have been.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Quite simply the eagles won because of one play, the strip sack. Brady was on the way to snatching another teams dream. As good as Phillys d line is they had 1 sack and allowed 5.1 yards per carry.

I'm happy they won but all year long we watched officials overturn plays just like two of the Eagles TD's

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2uqiebb3 said:

And if they didn't get in? Dumb as hell.

Pete did the same thing vs Detroit in the playoffs for a TD. So?

hawkman

Reaction score
Not only does Phily have most of pieces locked up for awhile, they will most likely add two first round pics on rookie contracts for the QB they choose to trade. They are definitely sitting pretty for the next few years.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Philly got a TD that I didn't think was. And Philly's defense was atrocious. Brady carved them up. One strip sack was true difference.

However if this was our hawks, Russ would be glorified and not crucified.

This Superbowl the defense lost Brady a ring. They have won him Superbowl in the past.( first cpl)

mrt144

Reaction score
1. A running game
2. A coach that looked at a player who previously flourished using a specific setup on plays to succeed above expectations - RPO
3. An offensive line
4. A defense that got an essential turnover when needed.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, crappy coaching from the Hawks and the Falcons in the 4th quarter or the Pats are sitting on 3 straight losses in the Superb Owl. Philly was the better team.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1llyydhg said:
A team that played from the opening whistle.

This sums it up for me. The one game they did it this year, they manhandled the Eagles.