What did Philly have that Seattle lacked?

mistaowen

Reaction score
Aros":1knh7cs5 said:
Yes I thought the Eagles won in spite of their defense. I thought defense wins championships? Not yesterday. Clearly Foles and the offense (and great play calling) won them their first championship. The Pats OL looked like men among boys all day long. I so badly want Russ to have that kind of line!

And what's crazy is, Pats o-line really isn't that 'talented' either. I put far more stock into coaching and scheme fit than their actual ability, especially how they can just plug and play. Brady looked like a different QB when their OL coach retired, he un-retires and suddenly Brady has 5 seconds to throw every pass again.

Russ will never be conventional and certainly has a tendency to sack himself sometimes, but both QB's had so much time to just stand in a U-shaped pocket and scan the field. It didn't matter what coverage was called, someone eventually was open. Just give him a lite version of that and I'll be happy.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought the same thing. I didn't think so much it was the raw talent on their OL as much as it was PROPER coaching and technique. Cable, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Seymour

Reaction score
ivotuk":2cfhnyvu said:
mistaowen":2cfhnyvu said:
This really comes down to the Eagles have a great offensive line and can run the ball. Foles threw the most play action passes in (playoff/SB?) history yesterday with amazing success because of how well they ran the ball. Seahawks defense thrives playing with the lead, the offense couldn't score points before the third quarter to save their lives. Seahawks want to run the ball and hit chunk plays with play action, Seahawks tried to stick with running the ball and couldn't, play action doesn't work if defenses don't care about running, Seahawks found themselves in MANY 3rd and long situations.

Putting any defense on the field for most of every game is going to be an ugly season, especially if you lack the talent on the defensive roster which the Hawks actually have. It's amazing they weren't blown out more times where the offense barely breaks 100 total yards.

Fix the run game to just league average, give the defense a lead, and we'll see the Seahawks of old.

While I agree that Philly has some great DL talent, especially Fletcher Cox, they didn't show up yesterday until 2:14 in the 4th quarter. It was a great play by Brandon Graham, but had Foles struggled at all Sunday, NE would be celebrating another Superbowl win.

I would disagree with that. They pressured Brady and put 9 hits on him. Yes, sacks was just 1, but the pressure caused a few missed targets and Brady knew if he did not get rid of it quickly he would pay, and that was enough with Philly's offense to get the job done.

ivotuk

Reaction score
mistaowen":21d47i0k said:
ivotuk":21d47i0k said:
mistaowen":21d47i0k said:
This really comes down to the Eagles have a great offensive line and can run the ball. Foles threw the most play action passes in (playoff/SB?) history yesterday with amazing success because of how well they ran the ball. Seahawks defense thrives playing with the lead, the offense couldn't score points before the third quarter to save their lives. Seahawks want to run the ball and hit chunk plays with play action, Seahawks tried to stick with running the ball and couldn't, play action doesn't work if defenses don't care about running, Seahawks found themselves in MANY 3rd and long situations.

Putting any defense on the field for most of every game is going to be an ugly season, especially if you lack the talent on the defensive roster which the Hawks actually have. It's amazing they weren't blown out more times where the offense barely breaks 100 total yards.

Fix the run game to just league average, give the defense a lead, and we'll see the Seahawks of old.

While I agree that Philly has some great DL talent, especially Fletcher Cox, they didn't show up yesterday until 2:14 in the 4th quarter. It was a great play by Brandon Graham, but had Foles struggled at all Sunday, NE would be celebrating another Superbowl win.

Hmm? I mentioned their offensive line not DL :D though their DL is quite good and deep. I really thought they would have had a much better showing and ultimately be the reason if the Eagles did win, but they were all missing. Being good in the trenches is so important in the NFL today.

Doh! Disregard me and my antique brain :p

jammerhawk

Reaction score
They played without making a lot of unforced errors.

Thus I'd say they were better coached in terms of their fundamentals than the Hawks were. A statistical examination will show Phiily made far fewer pre snap errors and took far fewer penalties than Seattle. In short they don't sabotage their chances by dumb play..

adeltaY

Reaction score
I actually thought the Seahawks and Falcons might have been too aggressive. The Hawks started throwing up deep bombs in the 4th even before Brady took the lead and the Falcons definitely could have won if they kneeled three times and kicked a FG, but chose to pass and get knocked out of FG range.

Chapow

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3j7hlbsz said:
Pete would not have gone for it on 4th & 1 near the 45

Very, very few coaches would. If you don't convert there you're giving NE the ball basically in FG range already. If NE takes over and scores and you end up losing the game? You are absolutely getting crucified. Especially in Philly.

It's great for them that it worked out, but the backlash would be brutal if it hadn't.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":95kutl6p said:
ivotuk":95kutl6p said:
mistaowen":95kutl6p said:

I would disagree with that. They pressured Brady and put 9 hits on him. Yes, sacks was just 1, but the pressure caused a few missed targets and Brady knew if he did not get rid of it quickly he would pay, and that was enough with Philly's offense to get the job done.

Missed targets, but Brady put up 500 yards. The pressure didn’t really impact the game until they could give up playing the run

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1v45fizv said:
Seymour":1v45fizv said:
ivotuk":1v45fizv said:
mistaowen":1v45fizv said:

Missed targets, but Brady put up 500 yards. The pressure didn’t really impact the game until they could give up playing the run

The comment I posted to was "they didn't show up until 2:14 left", that is what I disagreed with and 9 hits is the evidence. I contend the back side did less of their job than the front D line IMO.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
they put up 500 yards and scored at will until 2:14.

Somebody didn’t have a good game. I thought Brady had tons of time even with the hits. His targets were wide open and deep down the field.

Either way... I thought the Eagles would win but I thought it would look a lot like the Panthers-Broncos game. Last night was shocking

mrt144

Reaction score
Isn't that football in a nutshell though and part of what keeps us coming back? That one moment among 70 plays where it changes the outcome?

hawkfan1975

Reaction score
1. Hunger and Drive (to want in the PO and win the SB). We could stop there really because that's more than half the battle.

2. A running game to compliment the air attack.

3. Luck and a bit of an easier schedule too

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
At the end of the day, as fans we should always remember the immortal words of Mack Strong:

"It's very hard to win games in this league."

We take wins for granted. We really do. Fact is, there's professional athletes on the opposite side of the Seahawks quite capable of winning the game. There are advantages to help you win. Scheme, play calling, execution and oh yes, don't forget about luck.

D

DomeHawk

Aros":3j8rxgfi said:
At the end of the day, as fans we should always remember the immortal words of Mack Strong:

"It's very hard to win games in this league."

We take wins for granted. We really do. Fact is, there's professional athletes on the opposite side of the Seahawks quite capable of winning the game. There are advantages to help you win. Scheme, play calling, execution and oh yes, don't forget about luck.

:ditto: You gotta have a little luck.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
hawkfan1975":578zfb8p said:
1. Hunger and Drive (to want in the PO and win the SB). We could stop there really because that's more than half the battle.

Ill add to number 3

Getting lucky to win the tiebreaker for the number 1 seed over the Vikings. They both had 13 wins, but the Vikings lost the tiebreaker because they lost in Carolina, which IMO is total bullshit as the Vikings strength of victory was higher and Philly had 6 easiest schedule when it was all said and done.

Vikings had to play Panthers on the road, the third road game in a row following @Lions and @Falcons. The three games before THAT were in London, @Washington and then Rams at home. So it was basically the 5th road game in a 6 game stretch

For common games

Redskins- Vikings played away (1-0), Eagles played both away and home (2-0)
Bears- Vikings played away and home (2-0) Eagles played at home against Bears (1-0)
Rams- Vikings played at home (1-0), Eagles played away (1-0)
Panthers Vikings played away (0-1), Eagles played away (1-0)

Vikings lost against @Steelers,@Panthers and Lions due to cook injury coughing up football. Lost to a 13 win team and 11 win team on the road, and Divisonal opponent who had 9 wins themselves. The Steelers game was Keenums first start with basically no practice time during the week. Lions game Cook got injured and fumbled the ball which lead to a TD which were the only points scored for Lions after that happened.

Eagles lost to @Chiefs, @Seahawks, and Cowboys. 10 win team, 9 win team and 9 win team.

mrt144

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":g0qigk9f said:
hawkfan1975":g0qigk9f said:

Ill add to number 3

Getting lucky to win the tiebreaker for the number 1 seed over the Vikings. They both had 13 wins, but the Vikings lost the tiebreaker because they lost in Carolina, which IMO is total bullshit as the Vikings strength of victory was higher and Philly had 6 easiest schedule when it was all said and done.

Vikings had to play Panthers on the road, the third road game in a row following @Lions and @Falcons. The three games before THAT were in London, @Washington and then Rams at home. So it was basically the 5th road game in a 6 game stretch

For common games

Bears- Vikings played away and home (2-0) Eagles played at home against Bears (1-0)

Vikings lost against @Steelers,@Panthers and Lions due to cook injury coughing up football. Lost to a 13 win team and 11 win team on the road, and Divisonal opponent who had 9 wins themselves

Eagles lost to @Chiefs, @Seahawks, and Cowboys. 10 win team, 9 win team and 9 win team.

This is entirely a fan argument. Like, nothing in the DNA of NFL players and coaches looks at this and goes "uh huh - there's yer smoking gun"

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
mrt144":20gxm6rj said:
WilsonMVP":20gxm6rj said:
hawkfan1975":20gxm6rj said:

Ill add to number 3

For common games

Vikings lost against @Steelers,@Panthers and Lions due to cook injury coughing up football. Lost to a 13 win team and 11 win team on the road, and Divisonal opponent who had 9 wins themselves

This is entirely a fan argument. Like, nothing in the DNA of NFL players and coaches looks at this and goes "uh huh - there's yer smoking gun"

I fully believe if they were 2nd seed they do not get into the Superbowl which is why HFA is important. They did have an easy schedule. It was the 6th easiest schedule in the entire league. 9-0 against teams who finished .500 or worse. Pats had 10th easiest schedule. Vikings played 6 games against the #3-#7 teams in the NFC

But anyway that along with getting a few key FA maxing the cap and having a good OL. Foles was able to do what he did because he had plenty of time in the Pocket. Right now the Eagles are 2nd worst in cap space with 9 million over the cap going into 2018. No doubt they will have to cut people or will be up against the cap for a few years. It will be interesting how the Foles situation plays out because Wentz had a pretty major injury very late in the year and def wont be 100 percent coming back this upcoming year IMO.

Their schedule IMO is pretty brutal this upcoming year although they do get a few of the better teams at home......hmm

Falcons, Panthers, Texans(with healthy Watson could be good), Colts (if Luck is healthy), Vikings and cowboys with Zeke back at home

Away isnt too bad. London against the Jags, Rams, Saints, Titans

They have to play 7 games against teams that made the playoffs this year so we will see