What did Philly have that Seattle lacked?

Hawks46

Reaction score
All good answers but you guys missed the most important one.

The Eagles were way healthier than we were.

Add up all the injuries we had. All the guys on IR. When you look at that, and add in static coaching (no changes at all really), lack of discpline, self inflicted mistakes and the Cable factor, it was insurmountable.

I also think that lack of accountability with the coaching staff (Always Compete for the players not the coaches) and the message started getting lost on the players.

Our guys need to buy in again. Once they start having fun and buying in, they'll win more. We still have a very talented squad.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Doug Pederson is making me really worry about the Seahawks now. The NFC just got even more stacked. This guy can coach. I don't see Seattle being as creative as philly. I don't see seattle making adjustments like philly can. Yes I know Seahawks beat them but long term I don't see Schottenheimer dialing up play calls like Pederson can. Pressure is on Norton to keep the defense a top 10 defense because i don't see Seattle winning high scoring games. I just don't. We need better blocking tight ends, another reciever, and of course a better O-line. Seattle needs to ace this upcoming draft. I'm actually liking the RB situation as of now... Chris Carson + Mike Davis.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawks46":281t63im said:
All good answers but you guys missed the most important one.

The Eagles were way healthier than we were.

Add up all the injuries we had. All the guys on IR. When you look at that, and add in static coaching (no changes at all really), lack of discpline, self inflicted mistakes and the Cable factor, it was insurmountable.

I also think that lack of accountability with the coaching staff (Always Compete for the players not the coaches) and the message started getting lost on the players.

Our guys need to buy in again. Once they start having fun and buying in, they'll win more. We still have a very talented squad.

But when you lose a Starting QB in the NFL you can't win games!

original poster

Reaction score
Chapow":1zhxdpd2 said:
Scorpion05":1zhxdpd2 said:
Pete would not have gone for it on 4th & 1 near the 45

Very, very few coaches would. If you don't convert there you're giving NE the ball basically in FG range already. If NE takes over and scores and you end up losing the game? You are absolutely getting crucified. Especially in Philly.

It's great for them that it worked out, but the backlash would be brutal if it hadn't.

Aggressive coaching if it works
Getting 'too cute' if it doesn't

Just the way it works.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
All valid points but the conspiracy theorist in me also believes that we would have been whistled for pi twice on Brady’s last drive and probably would have added a couple off sides and player control type flags to keep patriot drives alive. On offense our line would some how manage to jump the snap, hold a defender who is out of the play while allowing two free rushers a straight path to our QB.

original poster

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3ut0gony said:
All valid points but the conspiracy theorist in me also believes that we would have been whistled for pi twice on Brady’s last drive and probably would have added a couple off sides and player control type flags to keep patriot drives alive. On offense our line would some how manage to jump the snap, hold a defender who is out of the play while allowing two free rushers a straight path to our QB.

Feeling good about next season then :mrgreen:

OP
OP
M

MO Hawk

Reaction score
original poster":352j2bst said:
brimsalabim":352j2bst said:

Feeling good about next season then :mrgreen:

Right on Original.

And, not that your conspiracy theory ever happened to us. Not that our SB vs. Pittsburg every had any of those things happening regarding the refs not only questionalbe calls but questionable timing. The only reason I don't think it happened to Philly is the world was watching and fed up. Goodall probably called them and said they needed to let Philly win as public opinion was starting to turn against the NFL and certainly the Patriots winning another trophy. The evidence of that is both questionable plays went Philly's way where very few went Seattle's way this past year.

I guess you are right that Philly had the refs on their side where Seattle never did the whole season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more about the "getting cute" thing. Bevell did that on the regular, especially in the red zone. The Eagles were flat out aggressive and not afraid the entire game. Impressive.

RCATES

Reaction score
A QB who isn't afraid to go through his progressions and stay in the pocket.

NJlargent

Reaction score
The #1 seed helped them and this is why the games early in the season matter. You start slow and you lose HFA.

WarHawks

Reaction score
A qb who doesn't have to run for his life as soon as the ball is snapped.

Disciplined players who aren't committing offside or holding penalties every other play

A kicker who is both good and cheap

Execution at all levels, and brass big ones when the game is on the line.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
bmorepunk":k22wna8z said:
Wait, are we desiring to be Philly now? I thought the mold was the Patriots. Or maybe the Rams.
I think the line of thought here is: How come they were able to go all the way while we were stuck here at home watching Philly achieve greatness.

Philly is an odd case. They were able to go all the way with a backup QB, that doesn't happen everyday. Usually if your starter goes down, the team will not make it very far.

The biggest difference is the coaching in my opinion, specifically on offense, and of course line play. They could run the ball we couldn't. The area that Philly's staff really out shined our staff, including Pete Carroll is adaptability. They took a look at what their players could do, and crafted a system/plan around their players strengths. In Seattle I always got the impression that we try to slam a square peg into a round hole. A good example of this is Jimmy Graham. Not a player that demonstrated blocking prowess, yet we relied on him to be an inline blocker.

An example of something Philly did is they looked at Nick Foles strengths and what exactly he did when he went on his tear way back in 2013. They changed their offense entirely to fit Foles strengths and mask his weaknesses. This is not something our coaching staff has shown that they are unwilling to do, at least under Cable and Bevell. I don't expect much of a change under Schottenheimer here either. Another example is refusing to deviate from the Zone blocking scheme when our players were clearly playing better under a more man to man system. Again, square peg, round hole.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
RCATES":15i2454j said:
A QB who isn't afraid to go through his progressions and stay in the pocket.

It helps when there is a pocket to be in. Foles had all day on most of his pass attempts

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
droop828":3v0c1ans said:
A weak schedule that allowed them to get HFA. Then played the 6 seed at home. Then got a Vikings team that had just gotten one of the most improbable wins in NFL history and obviously weren’t ready to play. Then the weakest version of NE that we’ve seen in a decade. There’s a reason we beat them good as we always do.

Everything Droop said.

AF_BASS_MAN

Reaction score
A losing schedule from the previous season. Let’s see how they do in 2018.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Philly plays 4 quarters the way we play the 4th quarter.

Latest posts