We may have hit the lottery with Rawls

olyfan63

Reaction score
Best info suggests that Rawls is about 210. In the post-game interview for local TV, Rawls himself stated that Lynch weighs 20 lbs more than he does. IIRC, Rawls mentioned his weight as 210 and Lynch as 230-235. This was in the context of Lynch mentoring/advising him on aspects of playing RB in the NFL.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rawls is a great back for the current state of our O-line, as he hits the hole fast, unlike Lynch who likes to be a little more patient.

I love Rawls, my only concern is durability. We haven't seen him carry the rock over a 4-5 week period to see if he can hold up running like a mini-Lynch seeking contact.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1i7kaqe6 said:
Rawls is a great back for the current state of our O-line, as he hits the hole fast, unlike Lynch who likes to be a little more patient.

I love Rawls, my only concern is durability. We haven't seen him carry the rock over a 4-5 week period to see if he can hold up running like a mini-Lynch seeking contact.

Agree with you and Kearly. Not that I don't think he will be durable, but he was getting up slow and limping a bit towards the end of the game. If he can stay healthy he looks like a monster.

olyfan63

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2dod6czh said:
Rawls doesn't need a complimentary back. He's an every down back himself. Maybe someone to fill the Turbo/breather role. But he can do everything. That's become apparent.

Maulbert":2dod6czh said:
olyfan63":2dod6czh said:
What Kearly said. We need a bruiser back also, and Rawls doesn't bring that.
Except that going into today, Rawls was leading the NFL in average yards after contact with 2.73 per carry.
http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-sea...awls-monster-game-carries-seahawks-past-49ers
Punishing backs get yards after contact.

Rawls doesn't quite have Beastmode move-the-pile strength and size. He relies on vision and quickness and finding the gap and darting through it before the defenders can get square. He will run right through arm tackles of defenders who are still engaged with blockers. What Lynch can often do is knock back a larger bodied squared-up-defender, DTs, LBs and such. Lynch routinely runs into and moves the pile of bodies that includes large-body guys, DTs and LBs. Rawls will knock back piles of secondary guys, CBs and safeties.

So if its one or two yards we need, and the blocking sucks, and he gets hit in the hole by a LB, Lynch is more likely to plow through and get those yards. A smaller back like Rawls tends to get stuffed and not get the first down. Rawls would typically have to cope with that situation by a quick cut, darting outside, etc. On 3rd and 1, Beastmode (healthy) is a higher percentage bet.

On the 3rd and short that put Rawls over 200, he showed what makes him special. He saw the designed hole was plugged, then darted outside and found space for about 10 yards, and was so quick in doing it that the gassed SF defenders had no shot. To the OL, TEs, and WRs credit, everyone seemed to have a hat on someone, stopping penetration and locking up defenders just enough for Rawls to do this.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
olyfan63":hzekqks4 said:
So if its one or two yards we need, and the blocking sucks, and he gets hit in the hole by a LB, Lynch is more likely to plow through and get those yards. A smaller back like Rawls tends to get stuffed and not get the first down.

FYI.....they are the same weight and I doubt you were referring to the 2" height difference.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":29qgfwei said:
olyfan63":29qgfwei said:
The Maurice Jones-Drew comparison seems on the mark too. Rawls is just unbelievably quick, cuts on a dime, and is powerful enough to fall forward on most plays. I might also call Rawls a slightly quicker Justin Forsett.

Frank Gore is who he reminded me of today. And not the Gore behind an elite Oline. Like pre 2010 Gore where he was all heart and pure scrapiness. Before he consistently had huge holes to expose.

Winner, winner!!

The Frank-Gore-in-his-prime is a great comparison. Back in the Holmgren days... I specifically remember one of those games Gore killed us with one of his late-game-lightning runs, and made the difference in the outcome. Rawls has made several of those types of runs, including the long TD vs. Cincinnati.

Gore and Rawls are a great comparison, in terms of physical size, and in terms of running style.

jblaze

Reaction score
Love me some Rawls. What I love most is that you can tell he's hungry and has great effort.

That's ultimately what's been missing from this team. Everyone got paid and achieved at the highest level and it's human nature to become complacent but Rawl's is inspirational.

Lynch may be expendable next year.

jblaze

Reaction score
Also let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Rawls is no Lynch but we need to start thinking about life without Lynch as well.

You could do alot worse than Rawls imo. I originally thought we'd have to burn an early pick next year to get his replacement but perhaps we don't have to now which would be great. We really need to spend a few high picks on OL and CB.

Exittium

Reaction score
Rat":618bwmi1 said:
Exittium":618bwmi1 said:
Seafan":618bwmi1 said:
Spencer Davis had 96 yards on 11 carries today.
And your point is? Just curious, serious question
He meant Spencer Ware. I assume it was brought up as more evidence of Schneider/Carroll's ability to spot RB talent.
He didnt do jack for us here. He earned a DUI and got sent packing. As well as he had shit work ethics that he brought over from college.

Seymour

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2frlcdju said:
Rawls doesn't need a complimentary back. He's an every down back himself. Maybe someone to fill the Turbo/breather role. But he can do everything. That's become apparent.

I agree. Rawls is one tough kid and is willing to fight for every inch just like a bigger back brings. In body type he is every bit as tough as Lynch, and prefers to go right thru you then around or out of bounds. Love that he is getting his shot, but also think they need to find him competition and / or a #2 next year.

12thbrah

Reaction score
Lynch should have sat out that game against the Cardinals and let Rawls run with it. Game might have had a different outcome with a healthy back.

Decimation

Reaction score
So far Rawls looks like a star. Haven't really paid much attention to this thread and don't know if this has been said yet, but doesn't he kinda remind you of MJD?!

This guy has so much potential and I can see him starting next year.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
The comparison I see is Frank Gore. Combination of physical and really shifty. I HATED Gore when he first came on the scene because he did to us many times what Rawls just did to SF.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Make that 2 DUI's for Ware.

Rawls is the real deal, he's got that attitude that great RBs have, don't absorb punishment, deliver it. He runs tough and doesn't like to run out of bounds if he can deliver a blow to the tackler. For those who beating on the 'just one game' drum let's remember his 165 yds against Cincie who are good at stopping the run.

The Hawks have found a gem in this player. He could be the heir to ML. For me I think Lynch is far from being done but this season for him will be a sharp drop off b/c of health issues.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Rawls provides something else that is desperately needed by this team.

Something that Lynch provided when he was BEAST MODE!

Something that has been missing all year.

That spark. That identity. That punishing, beat your opponent into submission style of running that the rest of the team feeds off of.

How many times over the last few years have we seen this team struggle when Lynch was out or playing injured?

How many times have we seen the resurgence of the team when Beast Mode came back?

This team, from offense to defense to special teams, feeds off of that spark.

They need that punishing running game to rally around.

Rawls provided that on Sunday, and if he continues to provide that I can see this team turning it around.

- bsd

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Decimation":34r3f7y7 said:
So far Rawls looks like a star. Haven't really paid much attention to this thread and don't know if this has been said yet, but doesn't he kinda remind you of MJD?!

This guy has so much potential and I can see him starting next year.

I see Ahmad Bradshaw.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
JimmyG":1lieeug5 said:
12thbrah":1lieeug5 said:
That sideline run where he tried to run through the defender instead of going out of bounds

Mini beast-mode indeed. WOW!
Agreed, that was a treat to watch.

I remember Adrian Peterson's first year in the league: one that that struck me about him was how often he would engage defenders and initiate contact instead of going out of bounds. Rawls reminds me of that. I'm not saying he's AP, just noting a casual similarity in their masochistic desire to get hit.
The desire is sadistic, ya'll.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
Rawls was signed as a rookie free agent since he went undrafted. What kind of contract is he in and if it expires at end of season then what can we look to pay. What will all this mean?