OP
OP
rottweiler

rottweiler

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3fnome63 said:
Go after Franklin at Vandy.

Destined for big things.

Can Franklin get the U-Dub the same bigtime recruits that Petersen can?

That's a rhetorical question, you know.

Atradees

Reaction score
Yes Mora is like: "that is the best dang stupid comment I ever made......." As he inks a six year extension with UCLA right after the Sark move.

kearly

Reaction score
My gut feel says that Mora is just the first of many head coaches to shoot UW down. Peterson will eventually say no, Franklin will eventually say no, and so on. When all their HC options are exhausted, they'll start working down the list of assistants, and my guess is that Wilcox and Nussmeier will top the list. I think Nussmeier is the guy who eventually gets the job, and I can't say that's a hire that excites me too much, though truthfully we know so little about most of these candidates.

If I was the UW AD I'd be going full court press for Petrino right now. His first year at Louisville (as OC), that team improved by 6 wins over their previous season. When he later returned as HC, Louisville posted 23 wins over 2 seasons, by far their best stretch ever, and this success happened basically overnight. When he went to Arkansas, he took a doormat SEC team and made them national title contenders immediately, and when he left amid scandal, the team imploded without him.

I love the way he handles his offense too. With Ryan Mallett, he was able to adjust to a Kurt Warner type game plan. With Tyler Wilson, he quickly adapted to more of a point guard style of offense. Consistent throughout was his ability to emphasize the run game, and the guy knows how to identify and maximize OL talent. His defenses played great too. My only worry is that Petrino has never been anywhere for more than 4 years, but if you want a coach that can recreate the Don James glory days, Petrino's the guy.

OP
OP
rottweiler

rottweiler

Reaction score
kearly":h5yp6m1z said:
My gut feel says that Mora is just the first of many head coaches to shoot UW down. Peterson will eventually say no, Franklin will eventually say no, and so on. When all their HC options are exhausted, they'll start working down the list of assistants, and my guess is that Wilcox and Nussmeier will top the list. I think Nussmeier is the guy who eventually gets the job, and I can't say that's a hire that excites me too much, though truthfully we know so little about most of these candidates.

If I was the UW AD I'd be going full court press for Petrino right now. His first year at Louisville (as OC), that team improved by 6 wins over their previous season. When he later returned as HC, Louisville posted 23 wins over 2 seasons, by far their best stretch ever, and this success happened basically overnight. When he went to Arkansas, he took a doormat SEC team and made them national title contenders immediately, and when he left amid scandal, the team imploded without him.

I love the way he handles his offense too. With Ryan Mallett, he was able to adjust to a Kurt Warner type game plan. With Tyler Wilson, he quickly adapted to more of a point guard style of offense. Consistent throughout was his ability to emphasize the run game, and the guy knows how to identify and maximize OL talent. His defenses played great too. My only worry is that Petrino has never been anywhere for more than 4 years, but if you want a coach that can recreate the Don James glory days, Petrino's the guy.

No offense to anyone else (including myself) who's posted on this thread, but this is the most well-informed, intuitive post I've thus read here — except for the part about Arkansas' having been a "doormat" prior to acquiring Petrino as head coach.

Arkansas may not have won any SEC championships, but they had been to a couple in the decade before Petrino came, when they were coached by Houston Nutt.

The Razorbacks under Nutt were a tough customer.

Otherwise, well done, kearly.

I just hope you don't own a motorcycle dealership. Or a strip club.

That would kinda make this post of yours a bit of a conflict of interest, you know. :141847_bnono:

chris98251

Reaction score
I get the feelings that the UW is some what flailing right now, they gave Sark a chance and got burned as he elft and went back to a Hollywood program. Mora I'm sure was flattered but got a pay raise, pay raise for his assistants and a bunch of internal promises to better the program, and a 6 year extension, thats after UW based on what I heard on KJR offered to double his salary.

The Huskies are not a door mat program, they have rebounded and have a new renovated stadium, new facilities that are state of the art, a AD that is a Football guy and not a Hdges type. Lots of positives for a guy coming in to take advantage of.

The issue is knowledge of the area and recruitment, were still a long ways away from anything up here for people east of the Rockies, a West coast guy or at least Rocky mountain area would be a easier sell. Programs that have a established coach that wins is hard to get pry away, more then likley you will have to take a chance on a guy with a soiled reputation. Just hope his name doesn't have the initials D.E. in them, he knows the area and had success up here before. Just not in Purple and Gold.

ErikG803

Reaction score
I might just be extremely high, but I wonder how interested one Tom Cable might be in this...

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
kearly":238knzh9 said:

I agree with your assessment of the Petrino option 100%. And I can see many possible current HC candidates turning down the job, leaving Wilcox and Nussmeier as the last men standing. But you would HAVE to believe that they will make every effort to not be put in that position. They could go after a younger candidate like James Franklin, but he already turned down USC....not likely interested in moving. But it would seem to be imperative to hire an established and experienced west-coast(ish) coach that would allow the Huskies to continue all the recruiting momentum gathered by the current staff. A coordinator with zero name recognition (especially Nussmeier - though he has west coast/Husky ties, seems to have no real current connections to west coast recruiting) would set the recruiting process back YEARS. With the new stadium, and the increased revenue, it seems likely they will go out of their way to make a splash

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Another thing to consider - when UW was hiring the post-Willingham coach, the program was not only in shambles, but the facilities - stadium, practice and work out facilities, offices - were in shambles (or at least very very dated). The Huskies had thrown some rather large salaries around trying to entice a "name" coach to the the program with no success. Could the state-of-the-art facilities and renewed commitment from the University help to secure a top coaching candidate this time around?

Whatever happens, I expect the decision to be made very quickly. The recruiting urgency is very real this time of year, and Washington was already way behind other top Pac-12 schools.

sc85sis

Reaction score
DohBoy":247ezv77 said:
The only reason Mora really got fired was that Pete wanted out of USC; it was a unique opportunity for ownership and one that I don't think they would have explored with any other coaching candidate. If Pete stays a Trojan, Mora would have stayed the Hawk coach for a bit longer.
This isn't true. Pete didn't want out of USC, and Mora was fired after a multi-week internal audit of the Hawks.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":27mftw48 said:
kearly":27mftw48 said:

I agree with your assessment of the Petrino option 100%. And I can see many possible current HC candidates turning down the job, leaving Wilcox and Nussmeier as the last men standing. But you would HAVE to believe that they will make every effort to not be put in that position. They could go after a younger candidate like James Franklin, but he already turned down USC....not likely interested in moving. But it would seem to be imperative to hire an established and experienced west-coast(ish) coach that would allow the Huskies to continue all the recruiting momentum gathered by the current staff. A coordinator with zero name recognition (especially Nussmeier - though he has west coast/Husky ties, seems to have no real current connections to west coast recruiting) would set the recruiting process back YEARS. With the new stadium, and the increased revenue, it seems likely they will go out of their way to make a splash
Franklin was never offered the USC job.

OP
OP
rottweiler

rottweiler

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":2o99azsu said:
kearly":2o99azsu said:

A good read. Well done, Spleenhawk.

And if we're talking "big splash," then yes, Petrino's name has to be in the mix.

The only names of which I can think which may be bigger splashes than Petrino are:

1.) Chris Petersen;

2.) Jon Gruden;

3.) Mike Holmgren;

Let's break these names down.

Petrino: In addition to everything already said thus far on this thread, it's also worth noting that he does have ties to the northwest, having

A.) spent the early part of his life in Montana,
B.) been a QB coach and offensive coordinator of the Idaho Vandals under head coach John L. Smith at one point, and
C.) a brother who is currently the HC of the Vandals.

Petrino can get Washington the recruits it needs to stay in the BCS game.

Chris Petersen: No point in going back over this one, really. Not making a serious play to snag Petersen is a no-brainer for too many reasons to count.

Jon Gruden: His surname alone guarantees big-name recruits. Not sure if Gruden would be interested in being a coach at the collegiate level, though.

Mike Holmgren: Same things just said about Gruden, and throw in the obvious fact that he has ties to the area.

Another thing to consider - when UW was hiring the post-Willingham coach, the program was not only in shambles, but the facilities - stadium, practice and work out facilities, offices - were in shambles (or at least very very dated). The Huskies had thrown some rather large salaries around trying to entice a "name" coach to the the program with no success. Could the state-of-the-art facilities and renewed commitment from the University help to secure a top coaching candidate this time around?

I'm pretty sure you already know the answer to that, guy.

Whatever happens, I expect the decision to be made very quickly. The recruiting urgency is very real this time of year, and Washington was already way behind other top Pac-12 schools.

I don't expect it to be made very quickly at all.

I'm betting that the UW athletic department brass are weighing some of the things about which we're talking right here on this thread very carefully.

It seems things are certainly about to get interesting at the University of Washington, that's for sure.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
sc85sis":1s3wlmv7 said:
Spleenhawk2.0":1s3wlmv7 said:
kearly":1s3wlmv7 said:

Franklin was never offered the USC job.

Oops! You are correct! LINK I had read a report saying that Franklin had turned down the job. If he was open to the position, maybe UW would have a shot? He would be one of my top 3 choices

kearly

Reaction score
rottweiler":kfpwxh9y said:
The Razorbacks under Nutt were a tough customer.

Serves me right for going off memory. I remembered Arkansas 2004 and 2005 seasons, but forgot about their success in 2006 and 2007.

kearly

Reaction score
sc85sis":190w43u3 said:
DohBoy":190w43u3 said:
The only reason Mora really got fired was that Pete wanted out of USC; it was a unique opportunity for ownership and one that I don't think they would have explored with any other coaching candidate. If Pete stays a Trojan, Mora would have stayed the Hawk coach for a bit longer.
This isn't true. Pete didn't want out of USC, and Mora was fired after a multi-week internal audit of the Hawks.

I'm with you on the Carroll part, but the timing of Mora's firing and Carroll's hiring... it was a bang bang play. I coulda sworn there were Carroll rumors an hour after Mora was fired. Hard to think they weren't related.

Either way, Mora deserved to be fired... justice was served. If Carroll's amenability helped save us from another miserable lost season with Mora at the helm, it's just all the more reason to be thankful for his coming here.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Am I the only one that wants to put hands on Sark for leaving us high n dry?

Lots of things can go wrong, specially if we get another bumbling idiot like Gilbertson or Willingham

CPHawk

Reaction score
You guys are crazy, Chris Petterson, Gruden, Holmgren? Why not Bill Bellichick and Nick Saban.

The big splay hit isn't happening, the guy UW should be focused on already lives in Seattle and has been successful at both college and the NFL as a DC. Dan Quinn.

OP
OP
rottweiler

rottweiler

Reaction score
CPHawk":2p9sjiyj said:
You guys are crazy, Chris Petterson, Gruden, Holmgren? Why not Bill Bellichick and Nick Saban.

"It's a bigger crime not to dream at all than it is to dream big." — the great philosopher rott, 2013

dopeboy206

Reaction score
CPHawk":1egi8t3n said:

The big splay hit isn't happening, the guy UW should be focused on already lives in Seattle and has been successful at both college and the NFL as a DC. Dan Quinn.

We have a better shot at Petersen than we do Quin

Latest posts