Walter Thurmond substance abuse suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Barthawk":b14jl3vr said:
The more I think about this, the more selfish I believe WT3 is. Brock/Danny just made a great point about the substance abuse failure. He had to fail more than one piss test.. he failed one, put in the program and then failed again knowing full well that he could get caught and punished.

That is not making a poor decision.. that is making a conscience effort to make multiple poor decisions.

That point has been made a dozen times in this thread, bro.

Barthawk

Reaction score
sorry Leif- didn't want to read through 21 pages.. I was on the road from Phoenix to San Antonio when this story broke..

I don't see it as that big of a deal.. next man up.. that includes the offense.. we are healthy and clicking..

the doom n gloomers thought the same thing with Browner out last year.. 4-0

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
ensett":1ufsva5j said:
Walter is too selfish to call himself a real christian.

I don't think Walter is calling himself a Christian. I am not a Christian, yet I'm pretty sure that Christians and non-Christians have the right to criticize and judge the poor decisions of a public figure. The Christian view of "Judge not lest ye be judged yourself" simply warns against hypocrisy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I have even less sympathy for Thurmond after reading his tweet.....makes me feel like he just doesn't get it.

After having some time for this to sink in I don't think its going to hurt us all that much. Offense might need to step it up a bit but with both tackles back and adding in Harvin I don't see how that doesn't happen. I think Wilson picks up the slack and the offense takes off like it did late last year....we've already seen signs of that the past couple of weeks.

stack600

Reaction score
Left wing ,Right wing, tea party, Republican, Democrat. Government Shutdown. My Point= Everyone is entitled to their belive's and opinion's.
After reading 20+ pages. I was pissed at WT3, Then I was thinking about my mistake's. Then I was thinking about my Kids mistake's, Then I thought about my Grandkids Mistakes(at 21 he still makes a few, so did I, so did his mom) Lots of good post for and against.
My 2nd point= If the team has his back, That say's it all to me. These guys, our guys, have got to were their at this season, by being a team(not individuals) I'm just a Fan, a fan of the greatest fan base in the NFL, a 12th man, just a member of the 12th Nation. But if the team stands up for WT3.....
I think I'll sway to the side of the Kid made a mistake.
I sway to back the team and players, that back the player.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
What bothers me is the fact that he is publicly pushing back.

Better that he doesn't follow his Twitter account until the shit storm blows over... than to push back publicly in any shape, way or form.

jmo.

Exittium

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he has a neat little sentence on under his twitter pic.. " The key component is DISCIPLINE. If you don't have discipline you can never GET MORE..." I lol'd at this and even more so when he pulled out that victim card for what really AbsoluteNet said best "easily avoidable mistake" As for those saying things like "YOUR getting upset over nothing, you all got sand in your vags" and so on.. Well lets see, tell me why YOUR not pissed? Please explain, because most of that are peeved about this, its more based on the principle. He gave the Seahawks a nice Media Black Eye, put the TEAM in a situation it didn't have to be in. As well, he's a grow ass man, on a contract, and violated a rule. Regardless of the state your living in if its legal or not, FEDERALLY it's still illegal and in the NFL its against the rules period. That would be no different then a Military or Law enforcement officer taking a few, puffs, hits drags whatever of weed, in Wa, or CO wheres its legal, it still doesn't matter Federally its illegal and violates rules. Also tired of seeing people using religion and a shield that makes them feel entitled to shove crap around, like forgiveness. Yeah you were forgiven LAST YEAR, and look you pissed on those who kept you around. Its like a prisoner who is on death row or life in prison for murdering, He's all of a sudden the most religious mofo you'll see but DOESN'T CHANGE WHAT HE DID. Same as if you kids puffed up on the weed, Your going to be pissed and no matter what the kid does IT DOESN'T CHANGE THE FACT HE/SHE DID IT. As for His team backing OF COURSE THEY DO, Seattle has a nice rep right now on how the team is in the locker room right now especially since all the crap with Miami happening.

Once again its all to funny, it goes back to our $H!T legal system, its to forgiving imo which is WHY crime tends to be on the uprise.
(Real case and they explained it best on the news)
I.e. Joey schmo has a history of thefts, in the past with numerous felonies and misdemeanors, He gets caught again for theft, and now he's being facing 70 some odd charges, 40 misdemeanors, 30 felonies (Already served jail time in the past and is currently abck in jail), HE PLEA Bargains, gets over half of them wiped out, and his expected release date AFTER being credit with time served previously and the ple bargain accepted, This thanksgiving.

CANHawk

Reaction score
bestfightstory":1fa28jq8 said:
Barthawk":1fa28jq8 said:
The more I think about this, the more selfish I believe WT3 is. Brock/Danny just made a great point about the substance abuse failure. He had to fail more than one piss test.. he failed one, put in the program and then failed again knowing full well that he could get caught and punished.

That is not making a poor decision.. that is making a conscience effort to make multiple poor decisions.

That point has been made a dozen times in this thread, bro.

And it's one I don't disagree with for the record, thre's no denying he put his team behind the 8-ball. It's just... for a guy to make THAT kind of mistake at this critical juncture in not only our team's season but his own career (contract year and all), I can't help but wonder what else is going on in this guy's life. Yes, there's a possibility that maybe he's just really stupid, just a guy that really likes smoking weed (or whatever the hell he got in trouble for) and damn the consequences... but it's equally possible he's going through some heavy shit that he can't get through (or thinks he can't get through) without that crutch.

In the wake of what happened in KC with Jovan Belcher last year, I think it's a little irresponsible for us all to look at stuff like this and just yell at buddy to smarten up, ie. "you get paid a lot of money!! Be moar smarter!! Don't you know it's ILLEGAL dummy!? Go Defense!! Cut his ASS!! Make an EXAMPLE!! Drrrr....". If he IS going through some shit and he can't handle it on his own, I hope he gets the support he needs from his teammates and the league, and that he has the wherewithal to turn twitter off for a while so he doesn't listen to those who would throw him under a bus. Walt doesn't strike me as a LenDale White type who's just an idiot and full of himself, so this issue makes me wonder if there's something else going on. These guys are under so much pressure to produce and under such scrutiny, I'm surprised we don't hear about players snapping more often.

...I dunno. Maybe I'm overthinking it (hell, I'm probably overthinking it). All I know is that Walt's done good by us so far in his career when he's been healthy enough to make a difference. For all that I'm not exactly happy about it, I can stick with him through this issue. Just please don't make a habit out of it Walt...

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
CANHawk":288pudyk said:
Got a lotta sand in a lot of vaginas lately. If we threw everyone off a cliff that made a mistake, we sure wouldn't have much of a team; No Beast, no Sherm, no BB, no Harvin (he smoked the pot too), no Bennett (he was mean to that puppy), No Clemons, no Tate... no thanks. Maybe Russell and Clint Grisham are the only ones without fault, but I doubt that too. I bet Russell Wilson speeds when he drives between home and VMAC <gasp>.

Walter's teammates CLEARLY have his back through this as Angry Doug demonstrated on twitter, so why don't the 12's? Where'd we pick up all these self-riteous holly roller types? It's not like he's the heart and soul of the team or anything. We've gotten along fine without him before, we'll be fine now. This is such a non issue... I swear, people are getting WAY more upset over this than the repeated incidents of LeRoy Hill getting busted repeatedly for beating the shit out of his ol' lady. What the hell is THAT all about..?

We need a thumbs up feature so I don't have to write +1.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
No offense but pertaining to the subject to thread page 21... you guys were being overly critical and "judgemental"

Many people said a lot of things... and it wasn't just about Thurmond's incident... people attacked his character more than his actions, his talent, his coaches, and pretty much labeled him the anti-Christ of football in some ways.

And that was here a lot of hateful words in a 22 page thread... I'm sure the crap he had to read on twitter in which he is responding was much worse and it not only pertains to Seahawks fans but to fans in general.

You don't think he knows already what he did was stupid, selfish, and hurt the team. He is staring at a 4 game suspension at the end of his contract year.

He probably was caught in the wrong moment, in the wrong time, around the wrong group of people after a night of victory partying... idk we don't know specific details...and he chose to make the wrong decision in regards to the moment.... he got caught and he will pay for it.

It doesn't make him the worst person in the world, just Human.

Fans will say whatever they want but don't act like no one here jumped the gun on saying maybe the worst things they could say about a guy.

It seems were all a little selfish, and its what pisses me off the most, a lot of us only care about winning the freakin superbowl that we have to focus on the negative and call out every sub-par performance, and attack every player who isn't playing up to a fan's standard.

Its disgusting to see and read about every week, but I do get casting stones at Thurmond, its deserved but not the boulders he's been receiving. And just all the trash talk in general some of our players receive, you guys can be those fans... ill support the group through thick and thin even through the tarnish as if I care about league wide perception because every team has these types of problems.

The best of a worst thing though this place and many like it elsewhere will go nuclear like Chernobyl if this team doesn't win the superbowl this year... deep down its really us who are truly selfish are we not, because we want something so bad that many don't have control over unless we attend a home game, so anything that gets in the way of that championship gets electronically murdered into oblivion.

We are like the town in the movie Hot Fuzz.

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
Hopefully Thurmond can get his act together or gets some required help. Everyone makes mistakes, for now the next man up needs to step up.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2djlis76 said:
No offense but pertaining to the subject to thread page 21... you guys were being overly critical and "judgemental"
It seems were all a little selfish, and its what pisses me off the most, a lot of us only care about winning the freakin superbowl that we have to focus on the negative and call out every sub-par performance, and attack every player who isn't playing up to a fan's standard.

Exactly. These are actual people at the end of the day after all. To go off on them like people have been is a bit much. This isn't Philly. Just settle down...

Crabhawk

Reaction score
Axx":ncuoaz07 said:
Per Twitter, How WT3 Feels about all of you right now

walter thurmond III ‏@WaltThurm3
"So many judgmental people out there and I bet they call themselves Christians. Yes I made a mistake and I have to live with the consequences"

he's right about that. true would Christians would've turned the cheek and forgiven him instantly.
forgiveness my friend is how you will find your self in heaven
What better way to calm a situation down than bringing in religion. :roll:

FWIW, forgiveness =/= justifying, accepting, or being ok with someone's wrong actions. The acts of forgiving and holding someone accountable for their poor decisions are not mutually exclusive. This just broke yesterday, cut people some slack for being really invested in this team and reacting emotionally. If they're still harping on this in six months, then by all means let's get sanctimonious, but right now this isn't a lack of forgiveness, it's just lots of people really disappointed.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
CANHawk":175nrr6d said:
Pandion Haliaetus":175nrr6d said:

Exactly. These are actual people at the end of the day after all. To go off on them like people have been is a bit much. This isn't Philly. Just settle down...
Speaking personally, Thurmond gave the Seahawks another black eye... not all that long after the previous black eyes had healed (reference the whole Browner and Sherm Adderall mess at the end of last year).

That's the source of my frustration with his lack of discretion.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
One big question I have still, why wasn't this suspension announced earlier? I mean this is the exact same time as last year when the PED suspensions were announced by the NFL for Sherm and BB. It just seems like too much of a coincidence.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Blitzer88":oy1gce6c said:
One big question I have still, why wasn't this suspension announced earlier? I mean this is the exact same time as last year when the PED suspensions were announced by the NFL for Sherm and BB. It just seems like too much of a coincidence.

It's the timing of the process, not some conspiracy theory.

The players are tested during training camp for PED's and "street drugs." Then it takes the league this long to receive the samples, process the samples, test the positive samples a 2nd time, show the results to the player's association........and then notify the player/team of the suspension.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
This is not a PED as others have pointed it. He was subject to random tests and he knew it. He had to test positive before or else no suspension.

As the saying goes " you can't fix stupid"

drdiags

Reaction score
Blitzer88":pguhi7bz said:

It hasn't been announced yet by the league. Ian Rappoport is reporting it and no league/team official has made a statement on it yet. Thurmond admits it but nothing from the league. Now why did it take this long or when did the positive test occur? If you look at Browner and Sherman's cases last year, they got dinged in Oct (I think) but the appeal/suspensions were not until later in the year. For some reason it seems these are attached in some way to the timing of the bye week.

Maybe a coincidence? Not sure.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The Christian thing here would probably be to remember that it's just football.

Status
Not open for further replies.