Walter Thurmond substance abuse suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
strohmin":1omp92dm said:
Do we know the whole story? I mean how do we come to the conclusion of cutting him? What exactly did he do? Drugs or PEDS? I missed the news this morning and can't find much information on this.

Most of the information you are looking for can be found in this thread. people have provided links.

This much we know: Lots of people were counting on him and that was not important enough to him.

ALL IN. Leave No Doubt. 24/7.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
If big plays call for the Ric Flair strut, which wrestler's schtick commemorates a suspension?

Shadowhawk":pews7f4p said:
HawkAroundTheClock":pews7f4p said:
So Sherm and BB were tested last preseason, then faced suspension after - what - week 12? Now this after week 11?

I'm confused about the timing of these things. Admittedly I'm not scouring the webz for all the ins & outs, but it's weird that this has happened just before the playoff run two years in a row.

It's apples and oranges. There is a different procedure in place for substance abuse (pot, cocaine, etc.) and taking a banned substance that is on the league's PED list. Thurmond is suspended for substance abuse, which means he failed the test in the offseason and failed subsequent tests during the season in order to get a suspension. The testing for PED's happens randomly through the season and one positive test automatically earns you a four-game suspension. Thurmond got popped in the offseason and kept failing tests. Browner and Sherman tested positive one time during the season and were immediately suspended pending appeal (which Sherman won, of course.)

THANKS SHADOW! Good info.

PryorFamily

Reaction score
Countdown to Legion of Boom being called Legion of Bong in 3, 2, 1...........

drdiags

Reaction score
Throwdown":3i4ue53i said:
C-Dub":3i4ue53i said:
el capitan":3i4ue53i said:
I wonder what Antoine Winfield is up to these days.
:13:

I've been googling his name to see what he's been up to.

He retired.

The Vikings media reported that Winfield hadn't retired and that as of mid-season he was still weighing his options. Several teams have been in contact with him since he was cut by the Seahawks, including the Vikings at that time. Pete misspoke when he said the Winfield had opted to retire. Winfield never put in the papers and is available.

But I see no way he would come back here after getting cut. His pride led to him walking on a higher offer from the Vikings before signing here as a FA. Him being cut by the Seahawks after taking a lesser deal is not going to help in getting him to come back. Just my opinion though.

WT3 has not had the type of career he should have. After fighting injuries, to get back to where he was playing this year and have this happen is mind boggling. Tough one for the team that they have no choice but to move past.

C-Dub

Reaction score
bestfightstory":l749id89 said:
strohmin":l749id89 said:
Do we know the whole story? I mean how do we come to the conclusion of cutting him? What exactly did he do? Drugs or PEDS? I missed the news this morning and can't find much information on this.

ALL IN. Leave No Doubt. 24/7.
You should just put this in your sig, bfs. I'm worried you might get carpal tunnel from typing that so much.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I had a feeling some shenanigans would happen to the Hawks during the bye. Damn Walter!

bestfightstory

Reaction score
daketah":1pc3t2z1 said:
ClumsyLurk":1pc3t2z1 said:
daketah":1pc3t2z1 said:
bigwrm":1pc3t2z1 said:
Cut him? For what was likely marijuana? Half the players in the league probably smoke weed; he was just stupid enough to get caught. It's not like he got drunk and crashed his car (cough cough aldon smith) or was involved in some sort of domestic violence incident or sexual assault. A lot of players have done a lot worse. He made a stupid mistake, he's young, and he'll learn from this.

Will he? Does a 4 game suspension reverse a narcissistic sense of entitlement?
sounds like you know the guy. Do you follow his instagram? Is he constantly posting selfies?
Maybe, MAYBE the guy has a serious drug problem. Maybe the individual has a real problem and isn't a narcissist.

I don't have a problem admitting that I may have been wrong. The first thoughts I had were that he couldn't put the team ahead of the pipe. That was a snap to judgment based upon an assumption (he did go to school in Eugene). Since my initial thoughts, I have read a few of the brethren here suggest that he could be fighting an addiction to pain meds. If this is the case, I'm dead wrong in my assessment and judgment. What he needs is help, not punishment. On the other hand, if his suspension is over recreational (marijuana) substance, I stand by my initial words.

If this was for pain killers (as I suggested may be possible) the NFL has an abundance of programs in place to assist a player with serious addictions-those would have been made available to him on his first positive test. Drug addicts make dumb decisions. Surprise, surprise. This makes them unreliable. Surprise, surprise.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Was pot he got busted for. Though it's legal in the state of Washington, probably why he was going to appeal. He's still and idiot.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I don't really care what the team decides to do with him, but personally, I can't believe how stupid he is. I mean, we stick by this dude for three years waiting for his moment, and then he takes all that belief we've had in him, and he squelches it in one (several) acts of complete, selfish, idiocy. At the worst possible moment. Disappointment does not even come close to how I feel about it. :(

C-Dub

Reaction score
drdiags":rwcsphjd said:
Throwdown":rwcsphjd said:
C-Dub":rwcsphjd said:
el capitan":rwcsphjd said:
I wonder what Antoine Winfield is up to these days.
:13:

I've been googling his name to see what he's been up to.

He retired.

The Vikings media reported that Winfield hadn't retired and that as of mid-season he was still weighing his options. Several teams have been in contact with him since he was cut by the Seahawks, including the Vikings at that time. Pete misspoke when he said the Winfield had opted to retire. Winfield never put in the papers and is available.

But I see no way he would come back here after getting cut. His pride led to him walking on a higher offer from the Vikings before signing here as a FA. Him being cut by the Seahawks after taking a lesser deal is not going to help in getting him to come back. Just my opinion though.

WT3 has not had the type of career he should have. After fighting injuries, to get back to where he was playing this year and have this happen is mind boggling. Tough one for the team that they have no choice but to move past.
Sept. 25th,

"The 14-year veteran now is working out in Houston and will consider a return to the NFL if he finds "the right situation," ESPN's Josina Anderson reported Wednesday."

"Although logic dictates a player of Winfield's stature would place a high priority on joining a contender, a reunion with the Minnesota Vikings appears to be the most likely scenario."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... nfl-return

Seeker

Reaction score
Boy was probably smoking that good kush.
says non-ped

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Tharold Simon our 6'2 5th round pick from LSU who was projected as a 2nd-3rd round pick but got arrested the day before the draft is able to come off of the PUP list if healthy.

DeShawn Shead the highest paid player on the practice squad making basically the same as guys on our roster is available to bring up to the active roster.

We were in the same situation last year when WT3 was injured and browner was suspended, Maxwell and Lane stepped up. I'm not too worrried because I think Pete knows how to coach up players int he secondary better than any other coach and the fact that Maxwell would be a #2 or #3 for many teams and Lane has showed great tackling on special teams and is possibly the fastest player on this team.

Jerron Johnson should be healthy now and could play some nickle or dime, we are deep team and something like this will not derail us, BUT....

WT3 needs to learn a lesson, every person has a different story and his needs to be treated on a case by case. Say he was addicted to painpills after all his injuries or is actually injured and was trying to play through the pain to overcome his injury bust label. Circumstances like that I'd be much more lenient with, if it was pot or coke or something then I'd honestly be all for cutting him and giving a guy like Simon or Shead the roster spot. Thurmond has greatly damaged his FA market and the silver lining is that if he is truly sorry and able to overcome this the Seahawks could keep a very good player around for much cheaper than expected. I am mad at him for putting the team in this position and wil lback Pete 100% if he cuts him, or be understanding maybe there are some things we just don't know and that keeping WT3 around if the best thing for this team. No player is greater than this franchise and I have faith the coaches and GM will do with is right.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
OK, in the NFL.com article:

Thurmond is appealing the suspension, but he plans to drop that appeal early next week in order to return for a playoff run, according to Rapoport.

Can this idiot not do math? We have five games left. Drop the appeal AFTER the Saints game, dude. You will still be back in time for a playoff run.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Doug Baldwin Jr @DougBaldwinJr
He who is without sin shall cast the first stone… apparently there are no stones left. Mistakes happen, y’all need to get over yourselves.

Pretty pissed at Thurmond for letting his team down like this. But I kinda gotta agree with Doug here. Some fans needs to chill just a tad. Anonymous internet sanctimony from many who have done just as bad or some much worse is one of the lamer aspects to the this whole online thing.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Shock2k":34znhc0e said:
Was pot he got busted for. Though it's legal in the state of Washington, probably why he was going to appeal. He's still and idiot.
Legal in the state of WA, but not allowed by the NFL. Just like where I work, they can not allow certain legal drugs.

cacksman

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":1sek0oft said:
cacksman":1sek0oft said:
We've got to 10-1 playing the worst schedule in the league.
ummmmm, no the chiefs did that

Chiefs are not 10-1, and the Chiefs have played better opponents than us so far. You are false on both accounts.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":z45yxq7w said:

Thurmond is appealing the suspension, but he plans to drop that appeal early next week in order to return for a playoff run, according to Rapoport.

Can this idiot not do math? We have five games left. Drop the appeal AFTER the Saints game, dude. You will still be back in time for a playoff run.

I'm guessing that's what they meant. Hawks being on bye this week confuses things a tad. I'm sure the writer meant after the Saints game. But yeah...IDIOT!!! :roll:

C-Dub

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":30sbeuha said:

6 weeks left in the season: Bye, NO, @SF, @NYG, AZ, STL

Being up against the Bye week is the big thing here. The appeal might not last long, so he'd probably miss the NO game regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.