UW AT UCLA

HawkWow

Reaction score
sc85sis":3idkk3ui said:
HawkWow":3idkk3ui said:
sc85sis":3idkk3ui said:
Neither Pete nor Sark had anything to do with Reggie Bush and his stepfather taking money from guys in San Diego.

I understand they didn't physically hand Bush any money. It was the pimp agent doling out the cars, trips and house, but it was on their watch. I am not upset with them in any capacity, I mean...I wasn't astonished learning a Trojan might have been a cheat. ; )...I'm just wondering if there's not ill will towards them for departing the program during all the hoopla. Even Don James took heat, from some, when he bowed out.
Sark left the year before Pete did because he got a head coaching gig. No one is going to have an issue with that.

Pete has taken heat from some press and fans for "bailing to avoid sanctions" but that's a bunch of crap and it's mostly died down anyway. Though there are plenty of ignorant fans of other schools who think Pete and USC were cheating, most of the press now realizes USC got hosed by the NCAA.

Like I said, I never really cared either way. I love Pete...Sark, not so much. I've always had great respect for USC and still consider them the watermark in college football. I've hated them, but always respected them.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how a player taking money constitutes the team and coaches cheating?

HawkWow

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1b1wpapy said:
Can someone explain to me how a player taking money constitutes the team and coaches cheating?

Billy Joe Hobert took a loan from his friend's dad, who wasn't even alumni or a booster. The only condition that it be paid back, interest free, when Hobert signed his pro-deal. The ruling was... Hobert took a loan that would not have been available to a non-athlete. Bill Walsh, for one, was outraged!

If a player cheats, the team cheats. Just the way it goes in the NCAA.

But your point is not lost on me. It's absolute BS.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
HawkWow":3kezahx0 said:
-The Glove-":3kezahx0 said:

Billy Joe Hobert took a loan from his friend's dad, who wasn't even alumni or a booster. The only condition that it be paid back, interest free, when Hobert signed his pro-deal. The ruling was... Hobert took a loan that would not have been available to a non-athlete. Bill Walsh, for one, was outraged!

wasn't trying to make a point. I was sincerely wondering because I hear it all the time when players take cash and gifts. I don't see how any coach can honestly oversee all of their player's actions.

Speaking of Billy Joe Hobert, I recently made a delivery to his aunt's house. She had UW gear everywhere. She would not shut up about how her nephew was wronged and all the threats their family received.

HawkWow

Reaction score
-The Glove-":11einojh said:
HawkWow":11einojh said:
-The Glove-":11einojh said:

wasn't trying to make a point. I was sincerely wondering because I hear it all the time when players take cash and gifts. I don't see how any coach can honestly oversee all of their player's actions.

Speaking of Billy Joe Hobert, I recently made a delivery to his aunt's house. She had UW gear everywhere. She would not shut up about how her nephew was wronged and all the threats their family received.

It was sad, loved the guy but he was a loose cannon (in a fun way). When asked what he spent the money ($50,000) on, he replied "guns, women and cars". After the natty game, he took off his jersey and sported a shirt that read "LICK ME". ; )

It got pretty ugly for him. Drafted by our rivals, the Raiders, he was concerned about coming back to Seattle because of death threats etc. On the sideline, you could tell he was extremely uncomfortable, largely because he felt he hurt the Dawgs.

You're right...HTF can every player be accounted for? It's insanity. Give these kids a few bucks and a lot of it goes away, IMO.

Tical21

Reaction score
The coach and athletic department need to make it abundantly clear that if you want to be on their team, you won't take money. Tough task, sure, but it is ultimately the program's responsibility.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Tical21":2ji6jkdk said:
The coach and athletic department need to make it abundantly clear that if you want to be on their team, you won't take money. Tough task, sure, but it is ultimately the program's responsibility.
I'm pretty sure every player coming into a program is explained all of these things in detail. That's not going to stop a super talented kid from the projects from taking money. Shoot, it would be hard for any young adult to.

Tical21

Reaction score
-The Glove-":1aipxa50 said:
Tical21":1aipxa50 said:
I'm pretty sure every player coming into a program is explained all of these things in detail. That's not going to stop a super talented kid from the projects from taking money. Shoot, it would be hard for any young adult to.
I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just saying that it falls under the responsibility of the coach.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Anyone catch Lou Holtz calling out the huskies defense at halftime? Ouch. "im really disspointed in Washington's defense, very poor".

seahawk2k

Reaction score
1995 Billy Joe came in when the Seahawks were just obliterating the Raiders, Hawks had won six of seven or something like that, the crowd was rabit. Michael Sinclair just whacked the hell out of him on a sack, crowd went nuts, it was almost bloodlust. Kind of felt bad for him.

He was young and dumb, but he never lost a game he started and was a great leader. The whole program got screwed because of his dumb decision, but it was an impetus for a lot of politics to kick in.

HawkWow

Reaction score
seahawk2k":2j9sj74f said:
1995 Billy Joe came in when the Seahawks were just obliterating the Raiders, Hawks had won six of seven or something like that, the crowd was rabit. Michael Sinclair just whacked the hell out of him on a sack, crowd went nuts, it was almost bloodlust. Kind of felt bad for him.

He was young and dumb, but he never lost a game he started and was a great leader. The whole program got screwed because of his dumb decision, but it was an impetus for a lot of politics to kick in.

Yep. Hobert & co. won us the natty. For that I will always be grateful and would fight along side him in a heart beat. Please relate that msg to his grandmother should you see her again, Glove. I wasn't one of the fans that hated Hobert. You said it best, 2K, he was "young and dumb". Hating a player because he's young and dumb says more about the hater than the player, IMO.

I still maintain this was more about Walsh taking over Stanford than it was about Hobert and his "guns, women and cars". Let us not forget, another serious offense used against us was the reverend Kaufman getting a free sandwich at a charity event. Fortunately he never faced a firing squad for that.

Also, stripped of post season play and TV games, U-Dub's players were given the option to transfer without sitting out a year. This clearly displayed, IMO, how badly the Pac9 and walsh wanted to destroy the program. I do not believe a single player transferred. I love those kids to this day. GO DAWGS!

Latest posts