Status
Not open for further replies.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
pinksheets":1ionejnc said:
Natethegreat":1ionejnc said:
Thunderhawk":1ionejnc said:
Deion Branch Trade 2.0

The similarities between the two acquisitions are eerie.

1) Production - has not produced like a true #1 WR. Look at the stats.
2) Injury Risk
3) Malcontent
4) Size - below average. Hawks needed to get bigger at WR.
5) Salary - wants #1 WR money even though he has not earned it.

Other than #3 this looks like the Branch trade all over again. We got fleeced on this deal. If Harvin is worth a first rounder plus change then Megatron is worth 5 first rounders plus 25 million a year.

Meanwhile, Reggie Bush was available for free, would cost less and is basically Harvin-lite. Utterly bizarre trade.
I agree, I think we overpaid here. There will be multiple recievers we could have taken with our first rounder and that pick wouldn't cost nearly as much as Percy Harvin. Plus we lost a fourth and seventh round pick. I'm not saying he doesn't bring value to the team because he does but he has been a malcontent elsewhere(plus injury risk) and wants way too much money imo.
I really feel like we overpaid for this guy.
So you take a receiver with #25 and just pray you luck out and he turns out to be as good as Percy Harvin?

Do you really think Percy Harvin is worth 10 mil a year(plus our first, seventh and fourth next year)? Especially considering how much we are paying currently for Rice and Miller? I would have loved to pick up Tavon, Steadman Baily(second round) or Swope (third) and pay their rookie salaries than pick up Percy Harvin.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":32pdfpjw said:
JSeahawks":32pdfpjw said:
Thunderhawk":32pdfpjw said:
Deion Branch Trade 2.0

The similarities between the two acquisitions are eerie.

1) Production - has not produced like a true #1 WR. Look at the stats.
2) Injury Risk
3) Malcontent
4) Size - below average. Hawks needed to get bigger at WR.
5) Salary - wants #1 WR money even though he has not earned it.

Other than #3 this looks like the Branch trade all over again. We got fleeced on this deal. If Harvin is worth a first rounder plus change then Megatron is worth 5 first rounders plus 25 million a year.

Meanwhile, Reggie Bush was available for free, would cost less and is basically Harvin-lite. Utterly bizarre trade.

Harvin is about as similar to Deion Branch as I am.

The compensation is what I am referring to based on over-paying for an overrated player with issues. Obviously Branch and Harvin are different players. The point is that neither was worth what we paid.
54 games in 3 years, with 29 touchdowns. never less than 60 receptions. An immediate mismatch for all linebackers and safeties, and most corners.

You simply aren't looking at this like Pete. Is Harvin a prototype build? Nope. So what are his unique skills? nose for the end zone. quick and fast. great hands. extreme toughness and a good blocker.

And who at pick 25 was going to be a better pickup?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Rumor out there on Twitter that the Vikings' #52 overall may also be involved, but that's not substantiated from anything I could find. At any rate, this is a good move for us. 1. We weren't going to find a Percy Harvin caliber WR with the #25 pick in the draft. 2. We have the ability to pay a large contract now because several star players at other positions are receiving less than they're worth. 3. Harvin is not injury prone, nor a huge locker room cancer. And he's young enough not to be simply another washed up player traded late in his career.

This is a great move for us, and one that will put us firmly in contention to win it all this year.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
As for the compensation, I think it's pretty much appropriate.

Harvin's definitely worth a 1st rounder. The 7th rounder is ammunition right now - no more or less. Consider how stacked our roster is right now... the chances of a 7th rounder making the 53 is a hell of a lot lower this coming year than it was in previous seasons. The mid-rounder next year night have turned into another Richard Sherman, but also might have turned into another E.J. Wilson.

What we do know is that Harvin is one of the most dangerous weapons in the league when healthy, and he's about to be ours on a long-term deal.

My biggest concern, really, is what his contract will look like and how it might affect re-signing some of our key guys in a couple of seasons.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
If anyone's interested, here's a piece on the pro's and con's: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/seahawks-t ... rcy-harvin

"Carroll and Schneider want unique players. Difference makers. Playmakers on both sides of the ball that possess rare qualities that you just don’t find every year in the draft. Harvin doesn’t just fit the bill, he’s the poster boy. There isn’t another Percy Harvin in the league. There isn’t another Percy Harvin in this draft class. That’s why he fits in Seattle.

Then there’s the other side of Percy Harvin…

His fall out with Minnesota was ugly. Very ugly."

pinksheets

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1dj8xsns said:
Do you really think Percy Harvin is worth 10 mil a year(plus our first, seventh and fourth next year)? Especially considering how much we are paying currently for Rice and Miller? I would have loved to pick up Tavon, Steadman Baily(second round) or Swope (third) and pay their rookie salaries than pick up Percy Harvin.
Yes, Percy is a special talent and whoever drafts Tavon will be lucky if turns out to be as good as Harvin in the NFL.

kidhawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2avtz2fz said:
I'd even give up the #12 if he wants to keep wearing it. (although I would have given it up for Josh Portis if he wanted to wear it too).

Don't players generally compensate those who have the number they want? What would he do, buy us all who have a 12 jersey dinner?

mikeak

Reaction score
sc85sis":1wf6vh7f said:
mikeak":1wf6vh7f said:
sc85sis":1wf6vh7f said:
I don't see this as meaning an end to Tate. Harvin is a situational guy who Pete and Bevell will likely want to use in multiple ways all over the field. Get him in space, and it's all over for the opposing defense. Tate will still likely be the number two, full time receiver.

This could be goodbye to Leon though.

You don't spend first, seventh and conditional fourth for a situational guy. He will be a #1 receiver lined up on most offensive possessions
He's situational as a pure WR. Think Reggie Bush but as a wideout instead of coming from the RB side of things. He'll line up wide, in the slot, as a RB, as a returner. Yes, he'll see the field a lot, but he won't have to be used as a straight forward WR who is taking Tate's spot.

So where he lines up is situational but he is not situation as a player. You don't play him just on passing downs or something. He can be used differently isn't represented by saying that he is a situational player. This isn't splitting hairs

I agree that he will be lined up differently and his speed will be used. This will be fun and I think there is room for Tate as well my point was simply he will play almost all offensive snaps.

I really doubt using him as a returner - you don't risk it with a key guy but maybe I am wrong we shall see

kendog2639

Reaction score
4th and 7th rnder wasnt goin to make the team anyway... and losing the 1st rnder, well it keeps us safe from another james carpenter pick!!! one way to look at it.

i figured we were targeting tavon austin and realized we werent going to get him so we did next best thing and went after a proven product!! i love the move and feel we all overhyped baldwin, granted hes a good slot but hes not a dynamic playmaker!!! we need wr to gain seperation and harvin is one!!!

lukerguy

Reaction score
Important to note: The trade is contingent upon us signing him to a long term deal. My guess is 5 years 48 million.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
The last time we had a 25 we picked Carp.... I'm going with the safe bet even at the price he is a playmaker

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kidhawk":2wnq9u8r said:
JSeahawks":2wnq9u8r said:
I'd even give up the #12 if he wants to keep wearing it. (although I would have given it up for Josh Portis if he wanted to wear it too).

Don't players generally compensate those who have the number they want? What would he do, buy us all who have a 12 jersey dinner?

I'd settle for giving us a Superbowl win.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I really hope he doesn't have the same attitude issues here as he did with Minneapolis. I'm sure the higher compensation will help, but the character concerns are still a problem for me.

That said, if this pans out like we all hope and pray, Seattle's going to be ridiculous next year. I can't believe the 49ers didn't overbid Seattle.

mikeak

Reaction score
kendog2639":d6t660gy said:
4th and 7th rnder wasnt goin to make the team anyway... and losing the 1st rnder, well it keeps us safe from another james carpenter pick!!! one way to look at it.

!!!

True because we don't have any players from the 4th through 7th round not only on the team but stars on the team.... :sarcasm_off:

I do agree with the 7th rounder :) - mostly because of the low chance

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Carroll has been saying for a while it's going to be hard for draft picks to make the team from here on out. Why not limit the risk from the draft bringing in someone that could be an all-pro in our system? Isn't that point of draft picks? To get your team players?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Damn...I thought there would be more excitement regarding this news. I haven't stopped smiling since I found out about the trade.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
He can't have 12.

. . Unless he helps us win a superbowl. Then he can have it, no arguments from me.

General Manager

Reaction score
I like the move Harvin is a bigtime WR on an Offense that dropped 50+ a couple times last year. I was really looking forward to Ogletree as a Seahawk but in reality he wasn't lasting to 25 anyway .

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
OMGOMGOMG! WOW!

Tate AND Harvin, being all scrappy and dangerous out there!? It's like having the Gronk and Hernandez double threat, except shorter, quicker, faster, wilier, and wider out. Holy crap, I can't think straight, this is crazy exciting. My brain is buzzing. I know this:

Percy's gonna need a new number.

I hope Leon's still around. The kickoff ain't what it used to be, but damn, if we could have Percy Harvin AND Leon Washington back there for kicks & punts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts