UPDATE: Seahawks traded for Percy Harvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2bp5gt45 said:
Thunderhawk":2bp5gt45 said:
Deion Branch Trade 2.0

The similarities between the two acquisitions are eerie.

1) Production - has not produced like a true #1 WR. Look at the stats.
2) Injury Risk
3) Malcontent
4) Size - below average. Hawks needed to get bigger at WR.
5) Salary - wants #1 WR money even though he has not earned it.

Other than #3 this looks like the Branch trade all over again. We got fleeced on this deal. If Harvin is worth a first rounder plus change then Megatron is worth 5 first rounders plus 25 million a year.

Meanwhile, Reggie Bush was available for free, would cost less and is basically Harvin-lite. Utterly bizarre trade.

Harvin is about as similar to Deion Branch as I am.

The compensation is what I am referring to based on over-paying for an overrated player with issues. Obviously Branch and Harvin are different players. The point is that neither was worth what we paid.

hawker84

Reaction score
no way.. tate and harvin are redundant... most of the time harvin will be lining up on the outside along with rice.. baldwin is better suited for the slot position.. im sure harvin will line up there at times.. but tate is absolutely a poor mans harvin... we wont be able to pay him when his contract comes up they will attempt to get some value out of him before he just ends up leaving for free agency..

Tate will more than likely remain on the outside with rice, Harvin will play the slot would be my guess , OBi's gone, baldwin will hang around, i think leons roll will be reduced in the ST, not sure how much they want to risk injury to Harvin returning balls... but i think there's no way Tate is going anywhere....

pinksheets

Reaction score
redhawk253":1q1w70pk said:
mikeak":1q1w70pk said:
sc85sis":1q1w70pk said:
I don't see this as meaning an end to Tate. Harvin is a situational guy who Pete and Bevell will likely want to use in multiple ways all over the field. Get him in space, and it's all over for the opposing defense. Tate will still likely be the number two, full time receiver.

This could be goodbye to Leon though.

You don't spend first, seventh and conditional fourth for a situational guy. He will be a #1 receiver lined up on most offensive possessions

yup.. there ya go.. someone with some sense.. with what we are giving up for him and have to assume we're paying him... its plain as day.
That doesn't mean he lines up outside the majority of the time.

Harvin will line up outside occasionally and in the slot and the backfield quite a bit. Tate will be adversely affected on 2 WR sets, probably, but Baldwin will be the one who sees the biggest drop off in snaps.

mikeak

Reaction score
General Manager":eewava5g said:
So we gave up a first round pick for Harvin . My question is is it this years 25 it probably is but i haven't heard for sure yet. It was a first round pick though says JC.

Not officially out there but 1st and 7th this year. 4th conditional next year

pinksheets

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":23kspdrl said:
JSeahawks":23kspdrl said:
Thunderhawk":23kspdrl said:
Deion Branch Trade 2.0

2) Injury Risk
3) Malcontent

Other than #3 this looks like the Branch trade all over again. We got fleeced on this deal. If Harvin is worth a first rounder plus change then Megatron is worth 5 first rounders plus 25 million a year.

Meanwhile, Reggie Bush was available for free, would cost less and is basically Harvin-lite. Utterly bizarre trade.

Harvin is about as similar to Deion Branch as I am.

The compensation is what I am referring to based on over-paying for an overrated player with issues. Obviously Branch and Harvin are different players. The point is that neither was worth what we paid.

If you just took Percy away from the Vikes and threw him into the draft pool as he is, where do you think he goes in this draft?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
For those saying that this means Tate is gone, keep in mind that dollar figures aren't assigned to specific spots on the field.

Put Rice, Harvin, and Tate on the field at the same time and consider how much of a headache that causes for DCs. Not to mention Miller and Lynch.

And when we go 4 wide, then you add Baldwin to the mix.

This improves the entire WR corps, and the versatility that Harvin and Tate BOTH bring makes them matchup nightmares.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":1ffwi4bw said:
Deion Branch Trade 2.0

2) Injury Risk
3) Malcontent

I agree, I think we overpaid here. There will be multiple recievers we could have taken with our first rounder and that pick wouldn't cost nearly as much as Percy Harvin. Plus we lost a fourth and seventh round pick. I'm not saying he doesn't bring value to the team because he does but he has been a malcontent elsewhere(plus injury risk) and wants way too much money imo.
I really feel like we overpaid for this guy.

SeaTown81

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":3e1hd15l said:
Deion Branch Trade 2.0

2) Injury Risk
3) Malcontent

Deion Branch was made by NE's offense and Tom Brady. In Minnesota Harvin had Christian Ponder and Tarvaris Jackson throwing the ball to him. Bit of a difference there. Not to mention the fact that Harvin is 3 years younger than Branch was and a million times more explosive. The only similarities you got right are WR & 1st rounder pick.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":1yt3mkhp said:
Deion Branch Trade 2.0

2) Injury Risk
3) Malcontent

\

I'm not even gonna continue reading your comparisons because Deion Branch was a pure outside possession receiver who flourished with Tom Brady throwing to him. Harvin was MVP candidate with Christian Ponder lining up all over the field. Do you really think our GM who LOVES draft picks would throw his highest one away for a question mark?

We just became the team to beat in the NFC West IMO.

Axx

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":1debynhm said:
2) Injury Risk

He has only missed 3 games in his entire career.

Also every player is "Injury Risk". We just dont look at it this way because the team was lucky in that department last season.

I mean Clemons wasnt suppose to be at risk of injury and neither was Marshawn or big red.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2my1uee6 said:
Thunderhawk":2my1uee6 said:
Deion Branch Trade 2.0

2) Injury Risk
3) Malcontent

I agree, I think we overpaid here. There will be multiple recievers we could have taken with our first rounder and that pick wouldn't cost nearly as much as Percy Harvin. Plus we lost a fourth and seventh round pick. I'm not saying he doesn't bring value to the team because he does but he has been a malcontent elsewhere(plus injury risk) and wants way too much money imo.
I really feel like we overpaid for this guy.
So you take a receiver with #25 and just pray you luck out and he turns out to be as good as Percy Harvin?

Hawksfanatik

Reaction score
I wonder if this happens if Darrell Bevell leaves here for the Cardinals job?

Obviously he vouched for him or PC/JS wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":2wabxay0 said:
You are pretty much the only person who doesn't agree with the compensation.

Percy was easily worth what we traded for him. We aren't trading for his production with the Vikings, we are trading for what his production will be here with Russell Wilson. He is a matchup nightmare, more so with us than in Minny.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Axx":3qi22zee said:
Somewhere out there, Harbaugh is having a temper tantrum.....
ku-xlarge.gif
Ha ha. That boy sho nuff is soiling hisself.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Hawksfanatik":332fs5kh said:
I wonder if this happens if Darrell Bevell leaves here for the Cardinals job?

Obviously he vouched for him or PC/JS wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

Good thing the Cardinals fell for the ESPN trap and Bruce Arians.

sc85sis

Reaction score
mikeak":1r6m4xrz said:
sc85sis":1r6m4xrz said:
I don't see this as meaning an end to Tate. Harvin is a situational guy who Pete and Bevell will likely want to use in multiple ways all over the field. Get him in space, and it's all over for the opposing defense. Tate will still likely be the number two, full time receiver.

This could be goodbye to Leon though.

You don't spend first, seventh and conditional fourth for a situational guy. He will be a #1 receiver lined up on most offensive possessions
He's situational as a pure WR. Think Reggie Bush but as a wideout instead of coming from the RB side of things. He'll line up wide, in the slot, as a RB, as a returner. Yes, he'll see the field a lot, but he won't have to be used as a straight forward WR who is taking Tate's spot.

redhawk253

Reaction score
sorry harvin buddy.. but theres no amount of money you can give me for my number! you're gona have to find a new one!

12 is for the fans!

(did this really need to be merged...)

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I'd even give up the #12 if he wants to keep wearing it. (although I would have given it up for Josh Portis if he wanted to wear it too).

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I love the move. I stand corrected, i thought Harvin had missed a lot more games. Were going to see a lot more 4 and 5 receiver sets next year. Hooooo weee!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts