Unger and Breno out...

volsunghawk

Reaction score
formido":3mr4m98k said:
If Unger is out, we will probably lose this game. Injured centers have a shockingly big effect on game play and outcomes.

No doubt. The Broncos losing their starting center just before preseason has had a massive impact on their performance to date.

hawkpride

Reaction score
Don't fret about the o-line this week. Our defense and special teams will score more than enough points to win the game.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Unger has been playing awful, so hopefully he can take some time and get healthy. Breno has also been really subpar this season. I am not saying this is an improvement, mind you, we will struggle a bit. But, also not that worried.

warden

Reaction score
Next man up works if you have one injury. Multiple injuries in line area of your team is devastating. Multiple injuries on the line where you have the weakest depth on the team is just not good. Going on the road and playing a good team without your OL is a chatty scenario. The defense and special teams need to play lights out in order for us to pull this one out. If I was a gambling man (which I am not) my money would be on Houston in this one

By the way the sky is not falling, there is still a long season ahead of us. There was no way in he11 we are going 16 and 0. In the long run we would overcome a loss to the Texans

Go Hawks

mikeak

Reaction score
What is funny here is someone says we have 2 more injuries on the O-Line. Others then say that is a cause for concern.

Now people are stating that what was said is that the sky is falling.......

How does it go from - "yeah that is a concern and hope it doesn't hurt us to bad but it will most likely hurt us some" to "I am so tired of the sky is falling comments about the O-line"

seahawksTopGear

Reaction score
I have been running my mouth all season on how our oline was not a weakness for the style of play we use.

Its time to test that theory. If we win on Sunday I want to hear no more whining about the oline or calls to spend our top picks there.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
it's not all about talent level of the backups on the OL, but also about about playing together as a unit,...in a hostile environment on the road it's going to be tough,...the great OLs have played together for years,...adding 3 new players on short notice is not a good situation at all,...

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
mikeak":1xyezren said:
What is funny here is someone says we have 2 more injuries on the O-Line. Others then say that is a cause for concern.

Now people are stating that what was said is that the sky is falling.......

How does it go from - "yeah that is a concern and hope it doesn't hurt us to bad but it will most likely hurt us some" to "I am so tired of the sky is falling comments about the O-line"

I replied to the wrong Post...I apologize.

Laloosh

Reaction score
pehawk":eelw4b6b said:
If the Seahawks had a prototypical QB, they're protection would look better. He's drop 3 steps and fire a slant. That's just not his game. Also, Pete wants him to look for the big play, which means deeper drops, routes and processing time. And, this line is built to run first.

Or, nah, screw what I said. They suck.

Any chance that's his game this week? Almost sounded like he hinted at this in his Thursday press conf.

hawk45

Reaction score
LMAO at this thread. We're missing 3 starters on this OL going against a very good defense on the road, and when we had those starters we weren't running the ball consistently (nor were we protecting Russell, but it seems we've just accepted it's okay our QB fears for his life every game).

Yeah, every other aspect of the team is aces, but the OL is a mess. Can we win? Sure. But it could also have the makings of a real disaster against the Texan D.

But hey, we can compare our situation to Denver where Manning actually gets time to throw and they've only lost one guy, that n=1 comparison makes it all better. Or we can say that hey, OLs are only good at one thing, our OL has always sucked at pass pro, losing 3 starters means young guys playing and run blocking is easier to pick up on the fly than pass blocking...that is one tortured chain of logic. Okay so those two don't hold water, onto "next man up." These are building blocks for OL confidence in this game? Wait, I have one more, we're all just looking for something to complain about because we're winning, *waves hands* there are no OL issues here. All these arguments do is make any rational third party say "holy crap, that OL is REALLY in trouble."

Again, I think this team can pull it off. The game is not played on paper. But there's an objective reality that we're putting our injured unit (not our strongest unit when healthy) against a healthy Texans unit that IS a strength is less than ideal. There's nothing about pointing that out which should elicit scorn from other fans.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3rg88z9u said:
lukerguy":3rg88z9u said:
Um...link?

http://www.fieldgulls.com/on-the-airwav ... te-carroll

Also, for those worried, has our line play been stellar this year? If not, will it actually get worse or will having injured starters out actually help? Think about it; Unger can't hold onto D-lineman with a bad arm. Giacomini can't move well injured. It's actually possible Seattle gets better on the line. Seriously. At the least, they can probably maintain status quo.

This, this, a THOUSAND times this!

I love Max, but he's been playing like ass. if he can take the time to get himself right and come back at 100%, then that's good. Lem's a perfectly capable back up and should hopefully be able to play to the level of a nicked up Unger. I don't see much of a drop over the last few weeks level of play at centre.

Yes we beat the piss out of Jax last week, but I still have the smell of Breno's singed back hair in my nose because Babin was torching the shit out of him in pass pro all game. I don't think we could realistically expect any better if Breno plays again this weekend. Again, take the time to get right. We can weather the storm.

Actually, I'm really excited about the possibility of a Richard Sherman style "next man up" assention from Bailey/Bowie (Bowley?) They looked good in pre season. I remember Bailey in particular was straight up man handling people at points and IIRC, they both saw some time against the 1's. I think they might turn some heads...

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
hawk45":11ab3um5 said:
LMAO at this thread. We're missing 3 starters on this OL going against a very good defense on the road, and when we had those starters we weren't running the ball consistently (nor were we protecting Russell, but it seems we've just accepted it's okay our QB fears for his life every game).

Yeah, every other aspect of the team is aces, but the OL is a mess. Can we win? Sure. But it could also have the makings of a real disaster against the Texan D.

But hey, we can compare our situation to Denver where Manning actually gets time to throw and they've only lost one guy, that n=1 comparison makes it all better.

It's more like Manning gets the ball out in two seconds so it really almost doesn't matter what kind of OL he has most of the time.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
volsunghawk":39sz2wiz said:
formido":39sz2wiz said:
If Unger is out, we will probably lose this game. Injured centers have a shockingly big effect on game play and outcomes.

No doubt. The Broncos losing their starting center just before preseason has had a massive impact on their performance to date.
That's Peyton Manning dude. He just needs a slab of meat to hike the ball to him.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Having your center injured is huge.

Look at the dumpster fire that is the Steeler team. Yes they had problems but this is exacerbated by the injury they received that now results in their QB having to run for his life every snap.

Also the potential for a fumbles and turnovers increase when you have guys that are not used to getting the snap off, or have issues with a shotgun snap. Because if their line gets too much pressure, and the new guy cannot adequately block, then you cannot just put the QB back farther to try to give yourself time to throw in obvious throwing situations.

Normally this kind of team is the kind that if we were going lose, this would be one. But with 1/3 of the line essentially down or injured, I think the bravado is almost turning into hubris. We are good because of our players, it stands to reason that removing some of the better players in one of the weakest areas of the team that one of our strengths hinges on - that is going to impact results.

Can we win? Yes. Is it likely given the issues we face? Not really.

If we can win this game and next with all the travails we are facing now, that would be an incredible feat. I don't see it happening but I won't say it is impossible, just improbable.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
hawk45":3mttaeuq said:

But hey, we can compare our situation to Denver where Manning actually gets time to throw and they've only lost one guy, that n=1 comparison makes it all better. Or we can say that hey, OLs are only good at one thing, our OL has always sucked at pass pro, losing 3 starters means young guys playing and run blocking is easier to pick up on the fly than pass blocking...that is one tortured chain of logic. Okay so those two don't hold water, onto "next man up." These are building blocks for OL confidence in this game? Wait, I have one more, we're all just looking for something to complain about because we're winning, *waves hands* there are no OL issues here. All these arguments do is make any rational third party say "holy crap, that OL is REALLY in trouble."

Again, I think this team can pull it off. The game is not played on paper. But there's an objective reality that we're putting our injured unit (not our strongest unit when healthy) against a healthy Texans unit that IS a strength is less than ideal. There's nothing about pointing that out which should elicit scorn from other fans.
This.

Everyone who disagrees with the above really needs to take a reality pill or just be quiet and let the big boys discuss this situation.

The real question is: If the oline can't protect Wilson and he's going to have Watts and others breathing down his neck, if the oline can't block well enough to get the running game going, then what do the Hawks do to generate any offense? In this game we have two advantages: Our punter is WAYYYYYY better than their punter and should help us win the field position battle. Our defense should shut down their offense. With our oline in shambles - and with both pro bowlers and our RT out, that's shambles people, we are just as dead in the water offensively as Houston will be - but we have the better QB. So what do we do?

The two best defenses in the NFL are facing off and both look to have shaky offenses. Special Teams couldn't be more important. We have the advantage there. But it's 10AM in Texas.

This game looks like one team or the other is going to win ugly.

CANHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3sl7l98f said:
Having your center injured is huge.

Look at the dumpster fire that is the Steeler team. Yes they had problems but this is exacerbated by the injury they received that now results in their QB having to run for his life every snap.

Also the potential for a fumbles and turnovers increase when you have guys that are not used to getting the snap off, or have issues with a shotgun snap. Because if their line gets too much pressure, and the new guy cannot adequately block, then you cannot just put the QB back farther to try to give yourself time to throw in obvious throwing situations.

Normally this kind of team is the kind that if we were going lose, this would be one. But with 1/3 of the line essentially down or injured, I think the bravado is almost turning into hubris. We are good because of our players, it stands to reason that removing some of the better players in one of the weakest areas of the team that one of our strengths hinges on - that is going to impact results.

Can we win? Yes. Is it likely given the issues we face? Not really.

If we can win this game and next with all the travails we are facing now, that would be an incredible feat. I don't see it happening but I won't say it is impossible, just improbable.

right, because there was no risk of fumbles or bad shotgun snaps from the center last week...

No, it's good for Unger to sit if he needs to sit.

Good arrticle on bowie
http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/201 ... in-the-7th

BelfastHawk

Reaction score
I suppose this explains Unger's problems. I wonder what is different about this week? Or, indeed, what the injury actually is aside from a "bad arm". Would rather he took 2-3 weeks out and got properly better than 'managed' it from week to week.

canfan

Reaction score
pehawk":jflj8ng7 said:
Wilson will never get the ball out quickly. Just not his game to drop 3 and throw a slant.

But a 7 step drop and holding the ball will likely be followed by a graveside ceremony after that front 4 buries RW. Not feeling good about this. Hope RW comes out of it in 1 piece.

kearly

Reaction score
If Jeanpierre can just manage to be decent, then this might not hurt us too much, because Unger has not been himself since week 1 of the regular season anyway. Then again, if Jeanpierre plays like he did in the preseason, against JJ Watt... good night.

It's just a real shame that we miss 3 very important OL starters just in time for a 10am game against one of the league's best front sevens. If I had Lynch in fantasy football, I'd bench him this week. If I was ever capable of betting against the Seahawks, I'd be tempted to take the points on Houston (+3) as well. I think the Texans, though flawed, will dominate in the trenches and will do just barely enough to win an ugly game. Think @Rams 2012. I know what a Seahawks loss looks like in this situation, but a Seahawks win in this situation eludes me. It would be the first of it's kind. Under PC/JS I can't recall a game we've won where we got manhandled in the trenches. It's going to require an unreal performance from Wilson and a mistake free performance from our defense. Our receivers will need to play their best too.

If we do win, then it's a BIG win. A bullet dodged.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Breno, Unger and Okung out? Oh yeah, it is time to whine and moan! We have what, five unproven rookies against monsters like Cushing and Watt.. Atleast our QB is mobile. A statue would be demolished.

Dtowers":avqkj4ac said:
Expect a lot of running with that line up. Play action all day.

Thats a great signature pic. Where did you find it?

Latest posts